Morning links: QB’s on the run

Post by Eric Williams on Dec. 21, 2012 at 7:09 am with 21 Comments »
December 21, 2012 7:09 am
Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson (3) runs the ball against the Buffalo Bills during the first the half of an NFL football game in Toronto, Sunday, Dec. 16, 2012. (AP Photo/The Canadian Press, Nathan Denette)

In my story today, the starting quarterbacks in Sunday’s matchup between the Seattle and the San Francisco offer a glimpse into the future.

Russell Wilson and Colin Kaepernick are both athletic quarterbacks who can beat you with their arm or with their feet.

Not only are they electric playmakers, but they also make prudent decisions and do a good job of taking care of the ball. Those two, along with Robert Griffin III and Andrew Luck, point to the growing trend of athletic quarterbacks who have the ability to stress the defense in different ways than in the past.

“It’s evolution,” said Seattle fullback Michael Robinson, who was a dual-threat quarterback at Penn State. “I just think in eight to 10 years, everybody is going to look like Russell Wilson, RG3 (Robert Griffin III) and Andrew Luck. I think the league was afraid of it, to be honest with you. I think the league was afraid of paying a guy so much to take the hits a running back takes.”

Here’s a look at the top quarterback rushers through 14 games

NameAttYdsAvgTD
Robert Griffin III, Redskins1127486.76
Cam Newton, Panthers10864767
Russell Wilson, Seahawks784025.23
Colin Kaepernick, 49ers533797.25
Michael Vick, Eagles573075.41
Jake Locker, Titans3225681
Aaron Rogers, Packers5024851

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com writes that tight end Sean McGrath, recently called up front the practice squad, wanted to play for the Chicago Bears growing in that city as a child. But he gets the next best thing, playing in a regular-season game for the first time on Sunday.

The Philadelphia Eagles signed tight end Evan Moore, recently released by Seattle.

ESPN’s Ed Werder reports that Richard Sherman will miss another day of practice to be in New York for his appeal hearing. According to the report, the Seahawks expect Sherman to be available for Sunday’s game.

Danny O’Neil of The Seattle Times writes that Pete Carroll and Jim Harbaugh share similar strategic approaches on the field, and very different personalities off of it.

Dave Wyman of 710 ESPN Seattle says running back Marshawn Lynch is similar to Lofa Tatupu, in that he lets his play do the talking.

Jim Moore of 710 ESPN Seattle takes the Seahawks, 27-21. Moore is 11-3 against the spread in Seahawks games this year.

ESPN’s Mike Sando provides a statistical rundown of the Hawks-49ers matchup here.

Michael Rushton of The NFL Network previews the game here.

Matt Maiocco of CSNBayArea.com writes that San Francisco defensive tackle Justin Smith did not practice for a second straight day, casting doubt on his availability for Sunday.

Matt Barrows of the Sacramento Bee writes that San Francisco receiver Michael Crabtree is finally living up to lofty expectations.

Doug Kretz of Scouts Inc. takes the Seahawks 20-17 over the 49ers in his scouting report. You must be an ESPN Insider to view this. Kretz: “Seattle’s offensive line has been dominating up front the past couple of games and has been creating huge run lanes for Lynch and the ground game. These blockers are great road-graders who fight for everything they get and refuse to back down. San Francisco’s defensive linemen are also powerful and are great fighters. They are the league’s third-ranked run defense and hold opponents to 3.61 yards per carry.”

Morning links
  1. I liked McGrath during preseason so I’m glad to see him on the roster. He was one of the guys I was rooting for to make the team. I completely missed that Moore was released this week. Why was he released?

2. princeaden says:

Lack of production I believe.

3. Ya, the dude caught one ball in a handful of games. Sometimes potential doesn’t turn into reality, unfortunately.

4. Ewalters7354 says:

Evan Moore was nothing more than Charlie Whitehurst playing TE.

5. OMG. Please watch this video.

Can we figure out a way to have them play this at CLink on sunday? LOL

As Wilson continues to progress over the next few seasons I expect to see him running less read-option and using his speed in a similar way to Rodgers. Simply a guess on my part, but I can’t imagine Seattle will continue to expose him to contact (although he’s doing a great job of avoiding it now) looking ahead. And considering how far he’s come already as a pocket passer, that type of exposure seems unnecessary. However, he’ll never be a traditional drop-back guy like Brady or Manning, I’m not suggesting that.

7. Duke, did you see those 3 td runs by Wilson last week as designed plays, or just that the defense was pulled so hard to the other side of the field that Wilson read the option perfectly and ran them in?

8. Hammajamma says:

We have seats on the north goal line, up high, for this game. First one I’ve been able to make all season. As Bart Scott once said, can’t wait!

I think they’ll stick with the zone read until RW starts getting hit or someone figures out how to stop it. Right now they trust him to stay out of harms way. The more I watch him, with his little backspin move, the more he does actually remind me of Tarkenton.

9. princeaden says:

After watching several Youtube clips of MikeRob, I’m sure Pete is saving the best for last when it comes to the pitch/pass play. That guy can really chuck it..

jboard1 – Two of the 3 TD runs were classic read-option, so yes: absolutely designed. The second of his three was a pure scramble. 3rd and long, he dropped straight back, found no one and took off.

11. Thanks Duke. I just watched some of the highlights and did notice the scramble on the 2nd td run. It’ll be interesting to see how much they use the read-option against the 9ers. They are very fast on D, and those lanes will not be wide open like they were against the Bills. I hope i am wrong, because Wilson is so good at using it to move the chains. I’m ready for it to be sunday night

12. chuck_easton says:

Duke and jboard1,

Also remember that Wilson does come from a baseball background. The guy has a natural hook slide and knows when to use it.

I remember the Seahawks getting a slip and slide and a few players/coaches from the Mariners to try and teach Hasselbeck the hook slide. He never got it.

As a baseball player through college I can detect a base stealer’s instinct there. Get down to avoid the tag/throw or in this case the hit.

13. I am not an X and O guy so perhaps Duke or someone can help with terminology. The read-option is always a run play, yes? And it will be either the QB or the RB running, depending on what the DE does. Yes?

So what is the play that is a pass-option that seems to get called sometimes? RW will sprint out to the right, say, and if the TE is not covered it is a pass, otherwise RW runs. Or is that a non-planned play? Is that a zone-option, or is a zone-option the same as a read-option?
    Thanks.

14. nmseafan says:

Hawks need to get a lead in the first quarter and force Kap to throw. That will hopefully help keep Gore to a minimum of rushing attempts. That could be the key to the game. A turnover if the 9ers have the ball first or a drive by the Hawks for a TD on their first possession.

15. nmseafan says:

Although he seems pretty accurate on his throws. I am counting on Sherm and the youngsters to pick him off.

16. SandpointHawk says:

The slip and slide was a Zorn tool, they loved it in Cheney. However if I remember correctly he got a lot of scorn when he tried to use it with the Redskins.

17. One thing I’m concerned about with RW: if you recall it seems like the last two or three games have started with a major throwdown sack of RW on the very first play. He’s protected the ball and gotten up great on them, but I really don’t want to see any more of them. Hope the coaches have figured that one out.

18. “Ewalters7354
    Dec. 21, 2012 at 8:24 am

Evan Moore was nothing more than Charlie Whitehurst playing TE.”

Now that’s funny!

19. That was funny and got me to chuckling when I read it.

Pilot, your question got me wondering too and sent me over to Fieldsgulls where I found this little gem.

20. SandpointHawk says:

I gotta say love that video. I am really impressed with the set director and the blanket he threw over the window. The mess on the bed behind Kennith’s left shoulder is pure Scorsese. The script writer, how can we ever forget dialog like this…”So lets now go to the 4th quarter with Seattle up 21 to 7…Now here we are in the 4th quarter with Seattle up 21 to 7″ Need I say the use of the web cam is pure genius? Little Gem is really an understatement, Sundance Film Festival? Festival de Cannes anyone? Can you say Oscar….

This review is presented entirely tongue and cheek, it is intended to bring a chuckle to our blog. I in no way meant to offend anyone or any living thing especially if you or they are a Seahawks fan…