DT Branch returns to practice

Post by Eric Williams on Dec. 20, 2012 at 5:24 pm with 18 Comments »
December 20, 2012 6:00 pm

The Seattle Seahawks finally got some good news this week, with defensive tackle Alan Branch returning to practice as a full participant.

Branch missed Wednesday’s practice with an ankle issue. And with Jason Jones placed on the injured reserve list, the Seahawks need all defensive line depth they can muster heading into Sunday’s matchup against San Francisco.

However, receiver Sidney Rice (knee) did not practice for a second straight day, along with cornerbacks Walter Thurmond (hamstring) and Marcus Trufant (hamstring).

Cornerback Richard Sherman also did not practice today, and was listed as non-injury related on the team’s injury report. Sherman is reportedly scheduled to have an appeal hearing for allegedly violating the league’s performance-enhancing substance policy on Friday.

Safety Jeron Johnson (groin) and running back Robert Turbin (illness) were limited.

Along with Branch, running back Marshawn Lynch (back) and running back Leon Washington (illness) were full participants.

For San Francisco, defensive tackle Justin Smith missed his second straight practice with an elbow issue, putting his availability for Sunday into question. Ricky Jean Francois would fill in if Smith can’t go.

Along with Smith, linebacker Clark Haggans (shoulder) did not practice today.

Linebacker Ahmad Brooks (shoulder), cornerback Tarell Brown (shoulder), linebacker Tavares Gooden (ribs), receiver Mario Manningham (shoulder), running back Bruce Miller (shoulder), linebacker Aldon Smith (shoulder) and defensive tackle Will Tukuafu (concussion) were limited participants.

Kicker David Akers (pelvis), offensive guard Alex Boone (knee), linebacker Navorro Bowman (shoulder), safety Dashon Goldson (foot), running back Frank Gore (wrist), offensive guard Mike Iupati (shoulder), cornerback Carlos Rogers (knee) and linebacker Patrick Willis (shoulder) were full participants in practice.

Notes from practice
  1. It seems to me like we had way fewer injuries this year until the bye week. After that they have steadily appeared. It may be just the long season catching up with everyone but I wonder if the break in routine led to problems. We never have done well after a bye as a rule.

This game has the potential to be very memorable. We sure have built a big time rivalry in our new division haven’t we!

2. Yeah, nice to have a worthy opponent these days. Now we just need to start beating them! I’m tired of reading Sando say we are a year behind them…I’ll be glad when we are a year ahead of them!

3. SF has done a great job of drafting linemen on both sides. I think that’s the biggest advantage they have over us.

A buddy of mine in SF who is a huge 9ers fan says Smith won’t play. If he says it, I believe it, and that would be huge for Seattle.

5. One Smith down, one to go!

6. Personally, my Christmas happens this Sunday night. Santa is going to be screaming his lungs out for another 49′er false start. LET’S GO SEAHAWKS!!

7. Ewalters7354 says:

Times like this is when franchise Qbs carry their team.I know Russ is a rookie but this team is following his lead.So even with injuries to key positions having a franchise Qb should keep things competitive. Win or lose.

8. This is by FAR our biggest challenge this year. Simply put, SF is a very, very good team. Maybe the best in the league at this point. But as is said…You gotta beat the best to be the best.

9. Ricky Jean Francois is one messed up name.

10. montanamike2 says:

It’s amazing how we’ve jumped in rankings from the bottom teams to the top teams. If Smith is out, which i think he is, then that’s a huge help for us. SF built a good team around Alex Smith before they pulled the rug from under his feet. Their draft picks have been good, ( i wanted Iupati) but their coaches have not, until now.
    Christmas, i mean Sunday can’t get here fast enough!
    I hope this is Bruce Irvins coming out party. Another thing i notice is how competitive Lynch is. Every time an elite RB has a huge run or TD iturn to my friends and mention how this will get Lynch going, dude does whatever it takes to keep from being shown up.
    We got this beast for a 3rd? I’m glad to see Turbin finally contributing as well. I hope we crush them!!!!

11. montanamike2 says:

And for the record i think Scruggs will be a good player in the future.

12. montanamike2 says:

I’m already not sleeping much, how can i waight until Sunday night?
    On the good side, we’ll have the game on every TV with sound!

Here’s something interesting I heard that I didn’t realize: Wilson was never tackled last week on his 9 rushes. Either TD, ran OB, or Ali and was touched down. That didn occurs to me while watching. Lol. Pretty cool and very smart. Clearly by design.

14. nmseafan says:

When he runs and is going to be tackled, I believe that he might have an advantage most other QBs don’t have.Maybe being shorter and more compact is an advantage as there is less surface area to contact when he decides to slide (at the very last possible moment I noticed). Being as atheletic as he is, he can coil up in a heartbeat to make himself smaller.

15. Ewalters7354 says:

Skip Bayless is officially a douche in my books.He just said the hawks barely beat the Pats, then immediately gave credit to Kapernick for beating Tom Brady.Wow!

Ewalters7354 – It took this long to slap the “official” tag on him? Remember this little gem from ’05…

Beyond that however, his entire shtick is to incite a reaction from viewers / readers. He doesn’t care what side of the argument the producers tell him to take; he’ll happily take it and dumb it down to the point where “we’re” angry at him, not the opinion in question. And in doing so, his stock as a celebrity sports “journalist” (one of the very oddest developments in sport the past 30 years. Thanks again Mothership…) remains valuable to his employers. He is half-bright scum and a complete fraud. He’s not worth consideration on any level.

17. Ewalters7354 says:

Duke, I forgot all about that piece. Geesh! It makes me want to shy away from First Take from this day forward.

18. Well the CB situation is partically due to Suspensions! If we had Browner we wouldn’t be worried about both Trufant and Thurmond out. (BTW I am thinking we need 2 new CB’s who can stay on the field for more than a week at a time)

Still upset that there was no ramifications for KornHead suggesting someone take out Wilson – Maybe we should arrange for him to visit camp and have him put on some pads!!