Sherman: “I want to be the best, period.”

Post by Eric Williams on Dec. 11, 2012 at 1:07 pm with 14 Comments »
December 11, 2012 1:07 pm
Seattle Seahawks' Richard Sherman (25) talks with New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady after an NFL football game, Sunday, Oct. 14, 2012, in Seattle. The Seahawks won 24-23. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)

Mike Silver of Yahoo Sports once again offers an interesting perspective on a Seattle Seahawks player – this time on cornerback Richard Sherman.

Silver is good at getting his subjects to talk with candor and perhaps say some things they might not want to say on record by using some unconventional methods, although with Sherman it does not take a lot of coaxing. It’s a good read that gives some great insight into Sherman as an individual, while also providing some context to Sherman’s constant pestering and trash talking on the field

In Silver’s piece, Sherman vividly recalls his disappointment in having to wait until the fifth round of the 2011 draft to hear his name called.

“I celebrated ’cause my family was happy and the dream had been realized,” Sherman recalled last Thursday evening as he relaxed on another couch, this one in the players’ lounge at the team’s training facility. “I wasn’t gonna ruin that moment for my family. But in the back of my mind, I was livid.

“Some of those guys who got drafted [ahead of me], I was like, ‘Wow, this is ridiculous.’ I thought, ‘What’s the point of playing good ball if it doesn’t matter?’ By the time the fifth round rolled around, the damage was done. I was like, ‘When I get to the NFL, I’m gonna destroy the league, as soon as they give me the chance.’ And that’s what I’ve been doing ever since.”

Also, the big NFL news of the day is former NFL commissioner Paul Tagliablue overturned all of the suspension of the New Orleans players involved in Bountygate.

Interviews

I remember when Sherman was drafted and I was thinking then that he would turn out to be the best of the DBs that we drafted that year, but boy I had no idea just how good he would become in such a short time. Wow!

2. mindnbrad says:

Just came across this clip featuring Sherman, Baldwin, and Evan Moore.

3. Thanks mindnbrad. That first catch that moore has is unreal. Why can’t he do that here…..?

When they drafted Sherman, all I could think of was how many times he got torched at Stanford. Obviously a great athlete but to play with the discipline he’s shown in less than two seasons is quite impressive.

5. Dukeshire–Thank Rocky Seto and Kris Richard, Seattle’s D-backs coaches. Those guys really are the unsung heroes of last seasons out-of-the-blue rise of Browner and Sherman.

Great article on Sherman!

Perhaps Even Moore will step it up soon–I will withhold judgment until next season. Sometimes it takes guys a year or two to get used to the NFL. Obviously he has talent or Seattle wouldnt have kept him around. Look at McCoy–every time you think the guy is gonna get it, he screws up and disappears for months in our offense…but right now he seems to have finally grasped it, and is stepping up. Perhaps we will see Moore “get it” eventually, and be glad Seattle kept him and showed patience…

But I still wonder what we could have done with Winslow.

Seattle has got to make some cap space soon to sign Sherman and Wilson to contract extensions. ITs gonna be hard to keep our entire secondary and all three receivers–Miller, Rice, Tate–plus the defensive stars real soon.

6. I love the player Sherman’s become, but from the tape I saw on him during his Stanford days, he looked every bit of the 5th round pick that he became. He had the size, and the physicality that Carroll is after, but beyond that there was nothing about his play that really jumped out at you. He looked like a player with potential, but ultimately a project.

But Sherman has obviously jumped ahead of the learning curve. Between the coaching he’s gotten and just his own maturation process, he has become not only one of the best players on this team, but in the league, period.

Just heard Eric on Around the league live.
    Eric, you have a smooth calm manner about you. And way to explain to the folks that Carroll wasn’t running up the score. Good stuff!

8. EastCoastFan51 says:

sherminator! he’s the man. love his trash talkin’ because he backs it up. best corner we’ve had in a long long time.

9. mannix49 says:

Stop the demonstrations after the play Sherm, or at least calm them down so you don’t cost your team penalties….it disrespects the game, your teammates and yourself. Otherwise, continue to show the world how good you can be.

10. JazBadAzz says:

Love Sherm and his swag on field! get’em! way on, wax off!

11. thursday says:

Lol Niners fans are worried about his playing status for next week. I love it.

12. PugetHawk says:

He is the best now he just needs to maintain it by improving each year. Can’t remember the Hawks ever having a late round pick turn out to be a super start. We better not lose him to free agency. Sign him this off season if you don’t want to break the bank in a couple years.

13. Well, Largent was drafted at 117 (4th round) by Houston and then traded to Seattle (he was going to be cut by the Oilers!) and Jim Zorn was an undrafted free agent picked up by Dallas and later released. Seattle picked him up on waivers.

Just goes to show that you never know where hidden gems are.