Morning links: Winning the West still the goal

Post by Eric Williams on Dec. 5, 2012 at 8:35 am with 36 Comments »
December 5, 2012 8:35 am
Arizona Cardinals tackle Adam Snyder, right, and Seattle Seahawks defensive back Jeron Johnson are separated by an official during the first half of their NFL football game, Sunday, Sept. 9, 2012, in Glendale, Ariz. (AP Photo/Paul Connors)

In my story today, with the Seattle Seahawks sitting at 7-5, a 1 ½ games behind NFC West division leaders San Francisco, head coach Pete Carroll says winning the NFC West remains a reachable goal.

“It’s still out there,” Seattle head coach Pete Carroll said about winning a division title. “We’ve got a lot of games left in the division. San Francisco has a great thing going there. And if they can take care of their business, then they’ll leave everybody else behind. But they’ve still got to win the games, and we do too.”

Still, the Seahawks will need some things to go their way for that to happen.

If the 49ers lose two of their last four games, including a Dec. 23 tilt in Seattle, and the Seahawks win out, the NFC West title would be theirs for a second time in three years.

The Seahawks also may benefit from having one of the easier schedules remaining among playoff contenders.

Seattle plays three of its last four games – NFC West division foes Arizona, San Francisco and St. Louis – in the noisy comfort of CenturyLink Field, where the team is 5-0 this season.

And Seattle’s only road game is against 5-7 Buffalo, in what will almost be a neutral site in Toronto.

One final bonus: So far the 49ers are the only team left on the schedule with a winning record.

San Francisco hosts Miami on Sunday, followed by a trip to New England to face the Patriots, a road game against Seattle and a season finale at home against Arizona.

San Francisco’s contest against the Patriots is the most likely game where the 49ers could stub their toe — since 2002 the Patriots have a league-best 20-1 home record in December.

NFL spokesperson Randall Liu announces that Russell Wilson won this week’s offensive player of the week award.

ESPN’s Mike Sando takes an interesting look at Russell Wilson and Andrew Luck’s numbers against the same seven opponents. Wilson’s more than holds his own here.

Bob Condotta of The Seattle Times writes that Mike Gastineau, knowns as “the Gasman” on the radio, is leaving KJR-AM after 21 years to explore other options.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com gives us his top players for Seattle through 12 games.

Two Bellevue cops kicked out of the Seahawks home opener for bad behavior were disciplined by the police department, including demotions that resulted in a loss in annual pay.

The Seahawks come in at No. 12 on the AP Pro 32. As always, there are some interesting comments from the panel of voters. “One of the most dangerous teams in the NFL. The fate of the two corners will tell the story in the meantime Russell Wilson deserves rookie of the year consideration, said Pat Kirwan of Sirius XM NFL Radio and CBS Sports.

Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers told ESPN’s Mike and Mike in the Morning that he and his teammates still talk about the Packers loss to Seattle on Monday night earlier this season. Rodgers: “How can you not? We’re all human here. That was obviously a difficult moment for us. We’re hoping that we’ve put yourself in a position right now where that’s not going to have an effect on things. We’re not going to use that as an excuse. We have four games left and everything is right in front of us, with a chance to win out, and not only be division champions [but also] also a potential first-round bye. But in some of those quiet moments, of course, you can’t help but think about it.”

Russ Lande of the National Football Post has the Seahawks selecting West Virginia receiver Tavon Austin at No. 22 in his latest mock draft.

Morning links
  1. SandpointHawk says:

Surprised the east coast actually looked at the game and gave the OPW to Russ. With all the praise Luck and RG3 were getting Monday and Tuesday I expected for Mr Wilson to be overlooked once again. He definitely deserved the award this week IMO.

2. montanamike2 says:

Richard Sherman could have done the same thing the Pack were supposed to do, bat the ball down instead of going for the interception, especially if it means the game.

3. His name is Russell, last name Wilson! Congrats to him, couldn’t have gone to a better person, and it’s nice to see his name being mentioned among RGIII and Luck, right now I’d rather have Wilson than those two, maybe it’s because I like rooting for the underdog and I’m sick and tired of hearing about RGIII (even though he has been amazing) and to some extend Andrew Luck, the media is being a little too biased/focused on those two, but that’s nothing new.

Way to go Wilson! You are the glue to this offense right now and (imo)
    have helped save Tates career.

Now hopefully someone on the defense can step up and be the glue.
    Wagner? anyone?

5. jboard1 says:

This is off topic, but i find it hilarious. I’m a youngster and grew up watching Saved by the Bell every day after school. Check out this clip and see that our “favorite” rival coach had a cameo as Screech’s cousin.

6. pabuwal says:

To get a 1st round Bye and 2nd round home playoff game for just the second time in franchise history:

1). Win out
    2). SF loses at NE
    3). Chicago and GB each lose 1 game – they play each other
    4). NYG lose just 1 game

7. Schneider gets my unofficial vote for GM of the year. No way in heck I’d trade R Dub, Bruuuuuuuce and Wags for Luck of RGIII. No frickin’ way!

GO HAWKS!

jboard1- Makes me feel very old, lol.

Harbaugh said he wasn’t anything without his team. He wasn’t much with his team either.

9. LOL Georgia…i agree on all that

BTW, a big congrats to Russell. What a steal this guy was. Agree with Joreb on Schneider. This guy is as important as anyone to this franchise right now.

10. HawkfaninMT says:

@Pabs: regarding number 2… SF just needs to lose @ Sea and any other one… NE is most likely, but they did just lose to the Rams

pab – That scenario sounds remarkably within reach. Good breakdown.

12. would be so damn nice to beat the Niners in week 15.

13. I wouldn’t even have considered the bye week scenario if not for the NE game on the 49ers schedule. The Rams seem to have everyone’s number in the NFC West, so I don’t want to extrapolate the 49ers losing there to thinking they would lose against Arizona or Miami.

14. PugetHawk says:

The Packer’s are still sitting around crying huh? Thats almost as funny as the two drunk Bellevue cops. I like to party at the games like the rest of us but I wouldn’t want you to know where I worked or flash a work badge when I am hammered. Idiots with egos.

15. sluggo42 says:

Where early in the year I thought az and the rams would be blowouts, we lost. Now, I am somewhat reserved. Az I think is a hard fought win, and the rams tied and beat SF. So, I see three tough games, and going to buffalo will be tough as well, as they are getting their act together.

I do however think that the new options read offense is going to be tough for them. I believe that this will bring us victories in these games. I believe that RW is the reason this is being effective, as it takes a strong understanding of defensive formations. RW endless film work and study is why he is understanding what he sees now, and as the years go by, will allow him to see what is getting thrown at him. Mixing in a passing attack into the fray makes it all the better.

Would Tjack have been able to understand and read? Probably not, and that’s probably why they let Portia go as well. You need a really smart, as well as mobile qb to play this wrinkle. Flynn probably “gets it” as we’ll, but is dperhaps not mobile enough to run it? I dunno, maybe he can, I honestly don’t know. But probably so, but I’m guessing they would throw more with Flynn, and I bet they have that option.

Regardless, watching this offense begin to breath on its own, and develop right before our eyes is fantastic!

War hawks

16. PugetHawk says:

Well said Sluggo, the next four games can easily be a loss although the Cards would hurt the most since they have lost so many straight and we want revenge at home.

17. “Why does football season go so fast? I mean it was just last week we started training camp, and now only 4 games left. WtH?”

So true. And then we bide our time all the long spring and summer waiting around for the next season to start. It’s a good argument for enjoying the short period of the year where we get to watch games that we care about on Sunday.

18. mojjonation says:

Stepping on Arizona’s throat by the end of the first half would go a long way. We have to many of these “wait until we have the ball at the end” scenarios. Now that the defense is obviously having problems, and we are going to lose Thing 1 and Thing 2, a little breathing room in the second half of a game would be a welcome sight.

19. I agree, and would love to have a comfy lead going into the second half. This is a team in which we should hopefully have that lead. But again, in this league there are no guarantees. I’m really hoping to see this defense step up, at home, against an inferior offense. If the D lets them carve the way down field, i am really going to worry about them for the remaining games. I am holding onto hope they will recapture that early season swag (even with the suspensions). But it must start with pressure on the QB. The pass rush seems so few and far between lately, that it is a bit concerning

mojjonation- So true, I have been waiting for one of those games too for awhile now. Perhaps the drought of not creating multiple turnovers in the games has something to do with this.

21. montanamike2 says:

We do play better at home, a lot better.
    We don’t have much parity going to Toronto to face Buffalo since it’s practically within walking distance for them.
    I still have my fingers crossed that Rice is ok.

22. RDPoulsbo says:

Browner starts his 4 game suspension this week and will be eligible again for the playoffs.

23. CDHawkFan says:

B Browner drops appeal and will start his suspension this week.

Gessing Sherman will be a week behind him.

Remember what I said after some folks were calling for the regular refs to be back?

“Be carefull what you ask for”. See Bears game.

BTW- I hope we win out and play the Packers in the playoffs. I’m getting tired of the media and their continuing to try and create excuses for the Packers this year.

That game happened early in the year and the Packers have had plenty of games to prove they are a strong playoff team, and they still have four more games to show they are playoff strong.

I hope Sherman drops his appeal too. I would rather have him start game one in the playoffs, ( if we make it) than have him for the Arizona game.

26. RDPoulsbo says:

I was for the regular refs long before the GB game. I still believe they should be full time as well, but whatever. The league did get much needed concession in the taxi squad. I’m hoping this could mean the end of Carey. I’ve never liked him or his crew.

I agree about the Packers though. They have a terrible o-line and their losses come mostly from that line being exposed. They get all the hype because they’re Green Bay, but in reality, their team has deep flaws.

Good move on Browner’s part. Take your “medicine” so to speak, and move on.

28. CDHawkFan says:

No Duke, thats what got him the 4 games.

29. I agree, its good that Browner is taking his lumps now. If this team can win themselves a playoff spot, they will need Browner and Sherman back. Time to see what Thurmond and Maxwell can do, along with Jeremy Lane. It should be okay this week, but the Niners game is HUGE; I want to beat the Niners more than anything.

Sherman is an idiot. He’ll miss the first playoff game if he doesnt just take his lumps as well. What a fool, there’s little chance of him getting his suspension altered; a player is responsible for whatever they ingest, even if it truly was accidental.

And Im not buying that they both accidentally ingested someone elses medicine.

30. Ah, perhaps Carrol and company want to stagger losing their corners; if Browner sits the next month, they have one game with Sherman to help ease the transition, though that means they will only have Browner in the first playoff game. Makes a certain kind of sense.

31. guywhothinksheknowsitall says:

I sure hope we dont meet the packers in the playoffs. That extra motivation would make them very tough to beat.

32. mojjonation says:

Sherm is going to fight his tooth and nail and I thought I heard them say on the radio that he may not be out until after the Buffalo game. I know they also mentioned they are trying to push it into next year. Getting Browner back before the playoffs will be huge. Having both of them gone for even one playoff game would probably be catastrophic.

Yes the division title is attainable. I’m sure all of us are checking the schedules and know that we need to win out and the 9ers need to lose one more game other than ours. NE is the best bet. That assumes we can win out.

What is up with the Rams? 5 wins and 4 are within division with the tie being against San Fran.

33. fun stat of the day

Russell Wilson has thrown a game-winning TD pass in the final two minutes of regulation or OT three times this season, the most ever by a rookie since at least the 1970 merger. With 11 TDs and no interceptions in Seattle, Wilson has the NFL’s highest passer rating (122.0) at home this season. He is on pace for the third-best single-season passer rating at home in NFL history, which would place him behind Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees, but in front of Peyton Manning, Kurt Warner, Steve Young and John Elway in the record books.

34. pabuwal says:

I would like to know how many QBs period have thrown the game winning TD pass in the final 2 minutes or OT since the merger.

35. That would be really sweet if we could beat Screech’s cousin’s team at the end of this month, then again in the playoffs to advance. I am getting really sick of the Packer defenders too, Georgia.
    Rodgers should visit the ColdHardFootballFacts.com for clarity on the issue. Btw, that article by Kevin Seifert on ESPN was the most useless, ridiculous piece of revisionist crap ever. I’d really like to beat Green Bay in the NFC Championship game to advance to the Super Bowl. That would shut those ” Fail Mary ” whiners up.
    Next, Sherman would return for his rematch with Brady in New Orleans.
    Here’s to My Brotha tweeting after the Super Bowl, ” U MAD AGAIN, BRO?”
    Luck and RGIII can have the ROY award. We’ll take the flippin’ Vince Lombardi Trophy. Indeed, it is still that part of the season when we can dream…