Report: Browner, Sherman suspended for violating NFL’s policy on performance enhancing substances

Post by Eric Williams on Nov. 25, 2012 at 3:54 pm with 49 Comments »
November 25, 2012 3:58 pm

According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Seattle Seahawks defensive backs Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner will be suspended four games by the league for violating the NFL’s policy on performance enhancing drugs.

If true, this would be the fourth and fifth Seattle player in the past year to be suspended for testing positive for performance enhancing drugs.

Seattle safety Winston Guy was suspended last week by the league for testing positive for performance enhancing drugs.

According to the report, both players claim they are innocent, and are appealing the suspension. The Seahawks have not confirmed the report, which came out after players here at Sun Life Stadium talked.

General Seahawks
  1. If they get suspended = season over. This would be even worse news if we’d won today, so at least us being sorta out of the playoff-race is somewhat good.

2. SandpointHawk says:

Hells Bells

3. shoehawks says:

And you thought the game was the bad news for the day.

4. I really wish it was April 1. Then I could be skeptical of this report. What the heck?!?!

5. aldenroche says:

Time for a new defensive game plan.

Carroll needs to get control of this organization. 3 players in less than a week.

7. DanielleMND says:

If we finish 8-8, it’ll be a minor miracle.

8. Over and out!

9. Moffitt, Guy, Browner, Sherman, and who was the 5th?

How is Carroll letting this happen?

10. ChrisHolmes says:

I guess, if there’s a silver lining here, maybe it is that PC will finally let the offense open up a bit more. I mean, without our two best corners, Pete has to know the defense is going to give up more points.

I think this signals the end of the season. So lets allow the offense to let it rip and see what we can do with all barrels blazing.

11. Anyone thought about the draft yet? I haven’t looked at anything yet, aside from watching some games as a fan, because I didn’t think I’d have to worry about it until the end of the season. I wanted to enjoy the ride. Looks like we just had a couple of fender benders in one day.

12. bbnate420 says:

Moffitt was a stupid mistake, but it was not cheating. Don’t know about Guy’s situation. Hopefully, they can win the appeals. I wouldn’t hold my breath though. Ryan Braun beat the rap.

13. hebrew hammer

14. BobbyK, where does 7-9 get you a pick this year? 13-18?

15. bbnate420 says:

Anyone think we see Malcolm Smith more on passing downs? I guess Trufant on the slot receiver probably won’t be a problem anymore. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHA! :-(

16. facing suspension – not suspended yet, from what I’m reading. let’s let this play out first.

17. guywhothinksheknowsitall says:

Hope Thurmond is ready to go quick. I don’t see the suspension happening before the Chicago game, so he has 2 weeks minimum to get ready. There are worse starting CB tandems in the league than Thurmond/Trufant. With Thomas and Chancellor backing them up we will still have a decent secondary. Not great, but decent. 3 of the last 5 games at home still gives us a good chance at the playoffs. Hopefully this doesn’t get dragged out past the Chicago game. Just get the suspensions over with and get these guys back by the wildcard round.

18. bird_spit says:

Ah..certainly hoping for tons of snow, so I can skip the rest of the season if this stands. Gus Bradley gets to work a new plan.

So, thankfully PC played RW all season, so hawks are ready for 2013…

19. guywhothinksheknowsitall says:

Oh yea and is Russel Wilson wasn’t so short this would have never happened. How DARE you blame these suspensions on Pete Carroll when clearly the blame is on Wilson for being so short.

20. There is no playoffs if these 2 guys are out – The margin of error is very slim right now, let alone if they don’t have the 2 guys they have built the defensive style of play around.

On the bright side – if it does happen, maybe they will have to be more creative with what we are doing on Defense

21. MoSeahawk12 says:

The Legion of Dumb? Legion of Bench?
    If this is true, you guys are some of the dumbest players in the NFL. You can NOT get away with anything. They do random testing every week. Players rarely win an appeal, if never. This is a direct slap of disrespect to your teammates. If true, they should be put on IR/non injury for the rest of the season. Congrats guys, you just cost yourselves millions of dollars on your next contracts. Dummies!!
    and the blog sits……again…..can’t even post. Broken on Chrome and now Safari says duplicate comment. Fix please. You guys run a active thread. Thank you.

22. Mr Allen needs to look at his head coach. At seems they all need to be handed a copy of the rule book!

23. sluggo42 says:

Ya,
    Pretty unhappy with this… Draft picks more interesting now that 32 probably won’t happen now…

24. m2mnelson says:

The Hawks will finish 8-8 with or without them.

My opinion may change, but to me this is yet another example of the lack of discipline that this franchise embodies, far too often, under Carroll.

26. agreed Duke

27. Wow, as if watching a tough loss wasn’t enough, we have players facing bans for PED’s. Tough day to be a Seahawks fan. Eff.

I’ve not commented on this blog as much as I used to. Wish something could be done about the trolls and general toxic vibe ’round here. Kudos to those of you keepin’ it real here.

28. thursday says:

welp. this is trouble.

29. But, doesn’t their performance have to be enhanced?

30. bird_spit says:

I think the Legion of Bums are what we are going to be left with.. Thurmond and Tru…lace ‘em up! So much for the holistic approach…didn’t carrol just last week describe how the looked at the holistic approach..guess these guys needed a boost.

31. yeah_right says:

OK. Say these NFL guys are suspended for 4 games for drug violations.

It’s the same “drug” that we pump into everyone with ADHD. Mainly children that wont sit still and learn in school.

If this was steroids or something that would be one thing…I’m not sure what the H this is.

32. freedom_X says:

I’m starting to see parallels between Carroll and Dennis Erickson as coaches.

Head coaches whose big successes were in college? Yes.

Good eye for talent? Check.

Mediocre in-game coaching skills? Seems so.

Inconsistent defense? Not quite, Carroll’s defense has been more consistent, but if it keeps sliding, yes.

Inability to impart discipline? Carroll’s recent reduction in penalties seems to argue against this, but 7 games doesn’t conclusively prove this. It’s been bad for Carroll prior to this. And the wave of suspensions suggests Carroll didn’t bother about this aspect of behavior.

Mediocre coaching record – spot on.

Of course, philosophically Erickson and Carroll are opposites (pass oriented vs. run/defense slanting) but I’m beginning to wonder.

The usual Seattle bugaboo of injuries no longer can be used as a scapegoat – Seattle is as healthy as any team can really be by this time of the year.

Possibly the shadow of the suspensions is what caused the defense to lose focus? Or (more likely) they can’t perform on the road, without home crowd noise and energy to motivate them. If so, another strike against the coaching staff, and another parallel between Carroll and Erickson (relies on emotion and energy to get good performances instead of discipline and coaching.)

33. Dukeshire–I agree completely; lack of discipline, and ultimately this is on Carrol. Didnt he learn anything by looking the other way when Reggie Bush was breaking rules at USC?! What a d-bag!

This season was over anyway, but this is the diarrhea icing on the Sh&T cake for sure.

Browner has been playing near ALL-Pro Level, and Sherman is right behind. We’re gonna have Thurmond and Tru starting, with Maxwell and Jeremy Lane as nickel backs, or else Jeron Johnson trying to play nickel?! Holy crap, this is gonna be a debacle!

Its over, and if Carrol isnt fired at the end of the season, Im gonna puke. The only good things to come from this year are Golden Tate pulling his head out, and Russel Wilson. The rest has been nothing but a disaster.

And No, Holmgren is a has-been and a bloated egotist. Even I wouldnt take him back, and I was one of his biggest supporters.

I dont care who they hire, but I want an offense that never stops trying to move the ball and score, and a HC who demands execution and is able to instil discipline. And as much as I like Carrol and his enthusiasm, that aint him. He’s done. Back to college, College Boy.

34. DanielleMND says:

Calls to fire Carroll at season’s end are reactionary. I think he deserves and gets one more season.

35. Gets it yes – deserves it – questionable

36. bbnate420 says:

Well, reactionary is right. We don’t even know if they’re going to get suspended yet. Seems like all of STTBM’s posts lately are hyperbolic, reactionary, or mostly inaccurate. Often it’s all three. You used to have some good stuff to add to the blog. Now it seems like it’s 90% holier-than-thou ranting. Take a deep breath and count to ten. You’ll live longer.

37. bbnate420 says:

yeah_right, Adderall is a low grade amphetamine. A normal person could take it to increase their energy and concentration, up to a point. It don’t work that way in individuals with ADHD.

Browner and Sherman are retarded if they didn’t know that they needed to notify the league if they have a prescription for Adderall. Moffitt got suspended for it last year, and I can’t believe that the coaching staff didn’t reinforce it to the team at the time. If they didn’t, it’s also on them. If they just took it without a prescription then I don’t think you can necessarily blame Carroll for it. They are adults and will take what they want to into their bodies. Especially if they haven’t ever been caught. PC can’t babysit 61 grown men.

38. bbnate420 says:

A 6-5 team has had only “two things go right….The rest has been nothing but a disaster.”??????????????????

Seems weird. Have another one, buddy.

39. PugetHawk says:

Hawks gave up 17 points in the final 8 minutes with these two so it should be impossible to win if they’re out.

I have one foot off the Pete Carroll Bandwagon!

40. VNHLNFAN says:

This whole story smells..

41. thursday says:

Sherman just tweeted that the truth would come out soon and he isn’t worried. I have a feeling there’s more to this story than what’s being reported so far…

42. confucious says:

I’m letting this play before I start building any crosses. I would like to know how some of these nfl players are getting away with using ped’s. Sherman and Browner are built like string beans, I would never have suspected them. But there are a few players around the League that look the part. I also don’t know how you folks want Carrolls head. If I take crack cocaine and get fired it would be hard for upper management to blame my boss. This is a job people. These are grown men.. rich men.. who make their own decisions.

43. princeaden says:

Gruden.

44. Hey these guys messed up it does not mean Carroll should get fired trust me the seahawks are a hell of a lot better than the day he got here

45. mannix49 says:

What was the banned substance? Adderall?

46. mojjonation says:

I like Chucky but I’d rather see Cowher here. Cowher has a proven track record with building a team. Every time Cowher lost a piece in Pittsburgh, he merely found another guy to fill the role. Chuck inherited a good team in Tampa and merely made them better ala Jim Harbaugh and Frisco.

You can bet that if the suspensions go through, and Tru winds up being a starting corner, the first play of every game he is out on an island, is going to be a field stretcher where he is chasing down whatever guy he is assigned to. So again if the suspensions go through, Tru can possibly be up against Brandon Marshall, Larry Fitzgerald, and Michael Crabtree. Uh yeah. That’s going to work out.

47. Seriously, does anyone really think that many many pro athletes are not taking stimulants regularly?? That BB and Sherm are unique in this? That the Seahawks are somehow unique in not disciplining their players?

Pro athletes take uppers. Old news. I played in college division II 25 years ago and there were stimulants in the locker room. Adderall is just a modern, better stimulant.

I get tired of seeing a few pro athletes persecuted for getting caught doing what their opponents also do.

48. If Adderal is a banned NFL substance and Carrol knew about it then Carrol shoud be fired!