OL Carpenter still not allowed to practice

Post by Eric Williams on Nov. 19, 2012 at 5:00 pm with 63 Comments »
November 19, 2012 5:00 pm

The Seattle Seahawks came back from the bye week and practiced this afternoon, looking mostly healthy. Outside linebacker K.J. Wright returned to practice after missing the Jets game a week ago with a concussion.

Defensive linemen Clinton McDonald (groin) and Greg Scruggs (oblique) also practiced this afternoon, after missing the Jets game because of injuries.

The only player that did not practice today was offensive lineman James Carpenter, who missed the last, two games because of a concussion.

Seattle head coach Pete Carroll said that Carpenter had to go through a couple tests this afternoon, and he still has to wait to see if clears those concussion tests on Wednesday before he can take the field.

“He’s had a lot of time during the break,” Carroll said. “We just want to make sure we’ve got everything squared away, and we’ll see what happens.”

Much of the talk today centered on how healthy Seattle is this late in the season. Last season, Seattle finished the year with 15 players on the injured reserve list. In 2010, Seattle finished the season with 12 players on the injured reserve list.

This season, through 10 games Seattle has just three players on the injured reserve list – defensive end Dexter Davis, tight end Cameron Morrah and receiver Ben Obomanu.

“We’re very fortunate to be this healthy at this point,” Carroll said. “And hopefully we’ll make the most of it.”

Carroll said that he and general manager John Schneider finally got an opportunity to put together a more comprehensive approach to preparing the player for the season, with director of health and player performance Sam Ramsden leading the charge.

“We’ve done a lot of things this year that are different to what we’ve done in the past,” Carroll said. “We’ve taken a more holistic look at the athletes in general – everything from their rest, to their eating habits, to the way we bring them back – in every phase of it. … I don’t know if that has anything to do with it at all, but we’ve tried to take care of these guys from the time they came back to us in OTAs throughout in a little different manner.”

But eight-year veteran linebacker Leroy Hill provided some different reasoning.

“I don’t care how the offseason is, what’s going to happen on the field is going to happen,” Hill said. “But with a little bit of luck, we’ve been healthy. That’s all you can ask for this late in the season, is to have a completely, pretty much healthy team.

“So all of the weapons are there, we can do everything we want to do and that’s just thanks from up above, too.”

Carroll said the team used this extra day of practice to look at a couple ideas they had to on both offense and defense and experiment with those schemes. The coaching staff also used the extra reps to get some of the younger players more turns working with the first and second units during team drills.

Carroll also said he and the coaching staff took a close look at what the issues are on third down, both on offense and defense, during the break.

“I think both sides of the football can benefit from better execution and successes on third down,” Carroll said. “We’re not right on our numbers. For as good as we can play on defense at times, to be at 40 percent, that’s not good enough for us. We need to knock that thing down. And we’re still at low 30s on offense, and we’ve got to get that taken care of.”

Cornerback Walter Thurmond remains ready to go, according to Carroll, and he’ll look for areas of the game to get him involved this week.

Carroll also admitted it can be challenging to get his team going off of the bye week. The Seahawks are 6-17 in games after the bye week in franchise history.

“I’m not taking it for granted that we’ve just got it nailed, and we’re back in full steam again,” Carroll said. “I want to make sure that this is a very strict week, a very disciplined week to make sure we recapture the timing and the things we’ve been doing.”

Notes from practice

6-17- Ouch! And going on the road against a a desperate team trying to make it in the playoffs at 10am, I sure hope this young team is focused.

2. When the opposing team has a rookie QB who doesn’t even know what teams are in his division/conference, I don’t feel so bad. I liked Tannenhill coming into the draft, but never knew how stupid he was in relation to what many NFL fans feel is common knowledge. Therefore, I’d take Wilson and his brain over an idiot who seems as “smart” as McNabb a few years ago when he didn’t even know the OT rules.

3. JazBadAzz says:

Sounds like Pete and the coaching staff worked on the things that I told them too! Good Job cause I was tired of yelling the the T.V. every sunday about third down defense and running the ball on third and 2 with an empty backfield! be studious, go hawks!

4. bbnate420 says:

You’d think that big bush of dreads would protect his head from any hits? ;-)

5. bird_spit says:

9ers looking impressive early…I was hoping the bears would kick some A and take names later…

Carp must have really dinged himself. Well that’s too bad, I was really hoping he’d be good to go.

7. JazBadAzz says:

Harbaugh designs great plays..i got to admit it, I just wish they didn’t execute them so well at times!

Mabey they need to just limit Carps reps in practice from here on out, or just eliminate his practice participation completely. He never gets injured in the games, just practice.

9. MoSeahawk12 says:

Bears have about 20 yards so far. This game is over. Lame

10. Jesus, you guys watching this game? What’s Harbaugh going to do when Alex Smith comes back? Kaepernick looking great against a very good defense.

I’ve felt the Bears weren’t as good as their record all year, but I do think their defense is legit. Niners just shredding them so far.

11. JazBadAzz says:

Washington just passed a law to legally smoke and possess marijuana, didn’t Ricky Williams quit football for holistic? Hmm….all I got to say is
    roll them High and Roll them tight, get all our players health issues right!

J/K LOL

12. The Bears are getting their butts kicked.

The Bears line is just awful. Goodness. And the Niners are using those traps and counters to perfection. Plus Kap looks solid, so far.

14. This is a butt whoopin’ plain and simple!!!!

15. That Kapernick looks like he was drafted in the right round by the 49ers.

16. DanielleMND says:

Carpenter and Moffitt. They just can’t stay healthy.

17. Ewalters7354 says:

The niners look to have found their QB.But I must ask, why is Capernick not starting over a mediocre Alex Smith? He’s clearly more dynamic and Alex Smith is nothing more than a game manager…

18. Ewalters7354 says:

Looking at Michael Bush so far this year, I’m glad the hawks didn’t sign him.He goes down on the least bit of contact.

19. Ewalters7354 says:

Bruce and Clem are gonna have a field day with the Bears porous line.

20. bbnate420 says:

Ewalter7354, because this is one game. There wasn’t a lot of tape for the Bears to prepare for him either. Kaepernick may well turn out to be better, but Smith has been very good for Whiners this year. Very efficient at least. He’s been more explosive than last year and has a 104.1 QB rating for anyone that thinks it has more than zero value. Kaepernick certainly looks to have the ability to be a much more dynamic QB than Smith, but I bet they would be tougher to beat later on in the year with Smith. Hopefully, Kaepernick doesn’t turn out to be nearly as good as he looks in this game so far.

Bears just don’t wanna cooperate. Hopefully, they lay an egg in 2 weeks as well. They look much more beatable when they’re not winning the turnover battle.

I guess I take that back about possibly wanting to face Cutler rather than Campbell. He looks bad.

21. bbnate420 says:

BTW, BobbyK, you see your boy Carimi get beat like a drum by Smith? I know it’s Aldon Smith, just giving you a hard time.

22. bbnate420 says:

I thought Smith was a fair amount bigger than Irvin, but he’s not really. 6’4″ to 6′”3 1/2 and 258 to 245-248. Irvin has the talent to be at least near to as good as Smith if he can put on another 10 lbs. or so without losing speed or quickness. I’d like to see him add the weight in his lower body. Irvin also has barely developed any moves yet. Look out when he does.

23. Ewalters7354 says:

bbnate, I agree with all 3 post.

24. bbnate420 says:

My guess about Carp is that he had a real minor concussion from his last game and then aggravated it during practice. That’s what’s real dangerous about concussions and why they have to be cleared by an independent doctor before playing again. Even if it’s a minor concussion, if you have even another minor one before you have healed properly then it can cause significant damage.

25. interesting that chicago is getting beat pretty much the same way the hawks did – Gash them right up the middle!!

26. “Hopefully, Kaepernick doesn’t turn out to be nearly as good as he looks in this game so far.”

Amen to that . . .the thing is, this isn’t KC’s defense he’s doing it against tonight. Just one game, I know.

27. bbnate420 says:

Ewalters7354, thanks, good to here. Now, I’ll be REALLY impressed if I can get RADEoN to agree with me about something.

28. interesting to see that the Bears are getting beat the same way the hawks did – Right up the gut!

29. Carimi is faring far worse than Giacomini did in this game.

30. HawkyHann says:

Who ever has defended Jason Campbell should be ridiculed. Please advise. His career record speaks for itself.

31. Hammajamma says:

The Bears are pretenders. When your D scores as many TD’s (7) as your rushing offense, you know you have an unsustainable fluke of a season underway.

32. Note to teams playing Bears – don’t turnover the ball and they suck!

33. bbnate420 says:

Carimi was a pathetic turnstile tonight. Beat like a drum again and again. And not just by Smith. Brooks ran around him like he has cement shoes on.

34. bbnate420 says:

I didn’t DEFEND Campbell. I said I MIGHT rather face Chuckler than him. Then I took it back. The numbers are hardly overwhelming for Chuckler over Campbell, if you bothered to read them. Campbell has a career 82.6 QB rating. Chuckler has a career 84.1 Qb rating. And they’ve both played enough to not say that either is a fluke number.

Yes, Carimi was abused tonight, as was the entire Bear line.

36. bbnate420 says:

I wouldn’t say that the Bears are a complete fluke, but they’re not as good as their 7-1 record had suggested. Bubble playoff team. Hawks need to clamp down on Forte and Marshall, which I believe they can most of the time, and the Bears offense really doesn’t have a lot else.

37. bbnate420 says:

Their 2nd and 3rd best receivers might be their starting CBs.

Looking even further ahead, the Niners line pass protected incredibly well. And unless Seattle is prepared to stop that inside running game of theirs, they will have a very long day on the Dec 23rd.

39. sluggo42 says:

Yes, 49ers are no joke. Stopping gore is difficult behind that lkiller oline.

We will thump everyone, and the 9ers, hopefully lose, and get exposed a tad by the Brady bunch.

Duke I agree, this is the game of the year for both teams.

WAR HAWKS

40. Ewalters7354 says:

Sluggo, I know you’re an optimist.But it’s not the game og the year yet! The hawks need to win those games prior to the niners.We shall see.Either way I believe it will be a great game.

WAR HAWKS! Lol

41. bbnate420 says:

There’s no way that the Hawks will beat the Whiners! We have a MIDGET for a QB. You’ll must’ve forgot!!!!!!!!!! He can’t complete ANY passes!

42. bbnate420 says:

Ignore my last post, please.

43. bbnate420 says:

Ignore my last stupid post, please.

44. Wow, bbnate, I agree with you (I must be ill..lol!). Carp likely didnt report his slight concussion symptoms from the game, then got whacked upside the head in practice, and it messed him up. You are exactly right about how even a slight concussion can lead to horrendous damage if the brain isnt allowed to return to normal from the swelling. and then endures a second trauma..its really bad news that Carp is still out after three weeks…

And yeah, the Niners are a great team, and Harbaugh (damn his classless hide) is a great coach. I dont get all the Smith-Sucks bandwaggoners; the guy is kicking butt and running the offense perfectly, and he and the rest of the Niners kicked Seattle’s ass the last three times we’ve played them; I’d say the guy is pretty damn good.

I think the Bears arent as good as people thought on D, and they were fat and happy and lazy…they looked terrible. And the Bears O-line is utterly pathetic–thats the worst Ive seen outside Seattle in ten or twenty years! I laughed so hard when they put Spencer in–When is he gonna get his first of ten Pro Bowls you predicted HOlmgren?! Doesnt he actually have to block someone first?! LOL!

Carimi looked like he was playing hurt–he got pushed around like a ragdoll.

The Niners offensive line is simply dominating. Those guys are awesome! Remember when so many of us drooled over Iupati?! Did you see him last night?! Dont tell me that human road grader couldnt play in Cable’s ZBS, he pulled a bunch, and literally leveled his man EVERY TIME! The guy is a total stud…Damn I hate the niners!

The 10-15 lbs Aldon Smith has on Irvin are important, because its all muscle. Irvin is very slight in his lower body, as you say; he’s got to bulk up some and learn some technique before he’s worth a damn vs the run.

And Jason Campbell is a pretty good qb; I bet he’d do pretty well in Harbaugh’s offense, on that Niners team. He never had time to do anything last night, nor did he have any semblance of a running game. The Niners D were like sharks at a feeding frenzy, and the Bears O-line was hapless, hopeless, and helpless. Give Campbell a line and some weapons, and he’s pretty decent.

STTBM – Harbaugh has turned Smith’s career around, but his previous six season he flat out sucked.

46. confucious says:

San Fran’s oline is the difference maker. They have control of the LOS. That is what is changing the Seahawks in to a consistent team. The only issue we face is the injury bug which keeps alternately biting our offensive linemen. Carp’s fragility is starting to concern me like Okung’s knees and ankles had in the past. This is why I think we need to continually draft the best olinemen even at the sacrifice of other “Skill positions”.

47. confucious says:

I am not sold on the zbs. Timing on run blocks is a huge factor. In the zbs, you have to know when to shed your first assignment and transition to your second. We don’t have that collective timing yet. I constantly see our line rub off primary’s to get to the lb’s at the second level. I think it is a difficult scheme to master and I don’t see run blocking improving at the same rate as the pass pro.

48. HeinieHunter says:

Looking back from the bye….the Hawks have come a long way since the preseason and continue to improve. PC has been coaching “finish” since the gitgo and I think it is about to really pay off. The team is about as healthy as you could hope for, rested, and has the challenge of the road ahead of them. PC will have them ready for both these away games. In the future, if we could win home field advantage in the playoffs….this team would be crazy scarey!

confucious – Their line is a thing of beauty to watch, when they are playing well. Those traps, inside draws, counters, and pulls are executited to perfection. Maybe the smartest thing Harbaugh did was bring Tim Drevno with him from Stanford. Hell, he’s so good he’s making Solari look smart.

or executed… lol

51. letsworkitout says:

If not for the bogus penalty late in the game the Bears offense would have been under 100 yards and no score with 2 turnovers.

The Niners last 5 wins the combined score is 148-19. Holy cow.

52. Duke–Solari is the best O-line coach in football, period. He doesnt know jack about the ZBS, he runs a power-blocking scheme. At least thats what I’ve heard. He came to Seattle, where they asked him to coach a scheme he doesnt know, with crap for talent, and he sucked. Everywhere else he’s been, his line’s have performed in the top 5 consistently. We should have let him help draft lineman and bailed on the ZBS…Timmay! Ruskell has much to answer for, the ZBS not least!

Yeah, Harbaugh turned SMith’s career around. But Smith isnt garbage–you think old T-Joke would be as good in Harbaugh’s system? I dont, and I dont think T-Jack was terrible (at least not usually), he was simply mediocre.

Whatever the Niners are doing, Seattle needs to pay close attention and see if we can copy-cat some of thier stuff, just like we did with the Redskins and thier use of the read-option for RGIII.

Carrol needs to get his offense and defense to be as accurate and precise as the Niners, so we execute to perfection. Thus far, I havent seen any indication that a Carrol-coached team can come close to the Niners discipline and execution…but then again, I never thought he could reign in the penalties and he finally did, so there’s hope..

53. confucious says:

STTBM, I think the niners success is directly related to drafting high for many years. Harbaugh (and staff) brought the attitude and thus had instant results.

54. confucious says:

Duke, I tip my hat to your knowledge of coaches and agree wholeheartedly. The only thing that changed since the realization of the niners success was the coaching staff.

55. HawkyHann says:

Jason Campbell has always had the slowest reads. He thinks as fast as Tavaris. And he is physically slow.

56. HawkyHann–I agree, Campbell is nowhere near as mobile as he once was. He looked slooow out there. Still, not much to do when your getting hit before you take your third step…

Seattle’s starting O-line has four guys drafted in the third round or higher, and two drafted in the first round. Only Giacomini and backup Paul McQ (who is now starting due to injuries) were not drafted high. Yet our line is nowhere near as good as the Niners.

1) OUr guys are not as talented–which means poorer decision-making/drafting on the part of our FO as compared to the Niners and 2) The Niners are better coached on the line, and perhaps (likely) at higher levels. I hate to say that, as I loathe Harbaugh and I really like Carrol…but results are results, and the Niners look far better than the Hawks. Solari > Cable, at least thus far…

It still pains me we fired Solari and kept the ZBS…bleah!

57. jchawks08 says:

Nuck the Finers! Meh, for as good as they seem to be, the fact of the matter is that they’ve lost twice and tied the Rams once. So they are definately a bit of Jeckly and Hyde, as someone mentioned the scoring gap in their last 5 wins above. Would of really been nice for playoff positioning if they’d of lost last night, but hope in one hand and deuce in the other and see what fills up first. So the 9′ers are Jeckyl and Hide and The Bears are not who we thought they were, at least not last night. This will be a highly entertaining 6 games coming up. Starting in South Beach on Sunday. GO HAWKS!

58. Palerydr says:

I was studying some drafts and If I recall Mcq was a 3rd rounder and Giacomini was a 4th. Carimi was abused last night time after time you still think he was better pick than Carpenter Bobby? Not being mean just asking.

59. Wow, so all our linemen are high picks… They don’t play like it! I was only counting guys we drafted or gave picks for…McQ and Giac were FA’s.

Jury still out on Carimi, and he sucked last night, but Carp sucked so bad at RT he’s already demoted to Lg.

60. confucious says:

good point jchawks08. They are who we thought they were! It’s just hard to tell who that is. That can be said for a lot of teams in the nfl this year. GB,NYG,AZ,NE….to name a few more.

61. Palerydr says:

I disagree about being “demoted” STTBM I remember when the Hawks drafted Carpenter they talked about his versatility. So he doesn’t have the quick feet a RT in the NFL needs he does have the push and bulk required for playing LG. Could Carimi play LG as well as Carpenter is right now I think not.