Man with the Golden arm?

Post by Dave Boling / The News Tribune on Nov. 17, 2012 at 9:15 am with 63 Comments »
November 17, 2012 9:15 am

Tony Ventrella at Seahawks.com has a fun video report on the debate between Sidney Rice and Golden Tate for bragging rights as the best passing receiver on the team.  Tate tossed a 23-yard touchdown pass to Rice last Sunday. But Rice has a 25-yard completion to Zach Miller this year, after unloading a 55-yarder to Mike Williams last season at St. Louis.

After the win over the Jets, Tate and Rice exchanged jabs about the other’s ability as a passer. Rice pointed out that Tate’s pass featured somewhat less than graceful mechanics (“the form was terrible all the way”). Rice’s passes over the past two years show a better trajectory and ball flight. Tate’s pass did have a catapult look to it, but, as Tate countered, it was raining and his gloves were wet (“I’m going to ice my shoulder now,” he said after the game). Nevertheless, Tate’s pass was hardly less artistic than any of the 12 completions shared by Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow.

Interestingly, on Tate’s pass, tight end Anthony McCoy managed to block his man for the full time Tate was going through his elaborate wind-up. That block allowed Tate to get his grip and Rice to beat his man to the back of the end zone.

Since these plays have worked so well, we might look at other options. Fullback Mike Robinson would be logical, as he was voted the most valuable offensive player in the Big Ten as a senior quarterback at Penn State. Robinson is 1-2 for 28 yards in his NFL career, and has put on about 20 pounds of muscle since throwing passes at Penn State.

One option that is not as appealing, is Marshawn Lynch, who threw a stinker last year against the Rams at home. The play was a sweep in which he had the option to pass if the defense crashed hard. The play looked great in practice all week as Marshawn threw accurate spirals, but in the game, the floater came nowhere near the receiver.

Around the league, San Francisco coach Jim Harbaugh is feeling well after his minor heart procedure.

Richard Sherman isn’t letting the bye week slow him down, as he takes objection to Packers cornerback Tramon Williams trying to steal some of his material.

1. I’d take Tate or Rice over any of our “QBs” from last year.

2. Who says Harbaugh has a heart? I figure a guy like that simply has a battery or something.

3. CDHawkFan says:

I can see it now; GoldenTateistooshorttoplayQB, or GoldenTateisaQBbust

4. Hammajamma says:

Mike Rob threw for 3500 yards at Penn State. Love to see it, but how do you put your FB in enough space to throw without completely telegraphing the play?

I don’t care if Rice and Tate fail miserably from here on out at passing the football, so long as they continue to catch the ball like they are doing.

More stuff on Wilson. Check out what Baldwin had to say about him.

7. Seahawks22360 says:

If nothing else this just adds a wrinkle that defenses have to prepare for. Love the opening up of the playbook. GO HAWKS!

“Interestingly, on Tate’s pass, tight end Anthony McCoy managed to block his man for the full time Tate was going through his elaborate wind-up.”

Good one, Dave. elaborate wind-up… that is hilarious, to me.It’s funny because it’s true.

9. Ewalters7354 says:

I remember having a debate with someone on here about
    Anthony McCoy’s value and what he brings to this team.Some called him a bust and said he should get cut with Dominique Bird playing well in preseason.What he brings is great blocking (both run and pass), allowing Zach Miller to focus more on catching passes this year.I believe that may be one of the reasons for letting K2 go.Though I still believe he could’ve helped.So before labeling someone a “BUST”, look at their overall value to the team.

P.S.please don’t start with this RW crap.

Let’s not diminish the necessity of having to keep him stay in to block either. Allowing Miller to release into the pattern has made a significant difference for this offense. That is, the o line progress is, in part, allowing this to happen.

11. Ewalters7354 says:

I agree Duke.Great point.

12. shoehawks says:

If it means that one of them has to throw while the other catches, I’ll take Tate as the thrower. I’m more comfortable with Sidney catching it.

13. seahawk44 says:

A few days ago, Aaron Curry was fined 2x by the NFL for separate incidents in last weeks game. This after just being activated from the PUP list of the Raiders. LOL. Just thought that was interesting enough to pass along.

Slow and boring week.

Does anyone remember a funny fan sign or two in a game?

Back in 86 I went to a Braves game and saw a sign that said-
    ” Go Braves! And take the Falcons with you!”

And on Monday night football, ( can’t remember when ) I saw a sign that said-
    ” $%ck my Ditka.”

15. montanamike2 says:

One thing after another, my computer is completely broken so i’m using my wife’s. Fudge…..

16. Who’s Aaron Curry?

17. confucious says:

Thank you for the links Georgia. They are timely and welcomed on this slow bye week. A thought from last weeks game. It was good to see Bevell adjust for the pass rush with the wr screens and the te work. It seems that his offense would highlight miller in order to offset stacked run boxes. I just haven’t seen much of it prior to the jets. We need oline stability in order to make this playoff push. That and our short pass defense are our two biggest shortcomings imo.

18. sluggo42 says:

I think Aaron curry was the better pick for us, instead of Sanchez… Just sayin..

19. raymaines says:

True that, but Sanchez wasn’t the only other choice. Josh Freeman was there if the Seahawks wanted a QB. Brian Cushing and Clay Mathews were two other OLB’s, and Brian Orakpo is listed as a DE.

20. 2009 was just a weak draft all the way around. With the exception of Matt Stafford, the entire top 10 has been nothing but bust after bust. In hindsight, what we should have done was traded down and picked Clay Matthews.

Aaron Curry is a terrifying reminder that stud college players do not always translate their skill set over to the pro’s, no matter how good they were in college. Every accolade, award, achievement; Curry earned them all. He was a scout’s dream. The only thing the Seahawks really missed on was the expectation that he would be able to routinely get past NFL level OT’s.

But beyond his short comings as a rusher, it really made no sense to me how he busted quite the way he did. He had the body, but evidently not the brain, and is just continuing to prove that there’s a lot more that goes into scouting than just a series of eye tests. What did the Raiders give Seattle for Curry? Two 7th round picks (one this year, one next), or was it a 7th and then a 5th in 2013? LOL.

Seattle’s got diamonds in the rough right now in both Scruggs and Sweezy – both players who were drafted in the 7th round. Sweezy was taken with the pick Seattle got in the trade for Curry, and all he’s done is switch DL to OL and has given the coaches enough confidence in him to give him limited starts.

As much as we complain about certain roster moves, or the team not having that specific player it desperately needs, I really have to tip my cap to the F.O. and this coaching staff for what they’ve been able to do with this roster. They identify players that fit within their system and seem to have a knack for finding some really exciting players.

I find this quite refreshing after years of mediocre to bad Ruskell drafts, and even some of the crap we had to put up with from Holmgren.

21. @raymaines

“Brian Cushing and Clay Mathews were two other OLB’s, and Brian Orakpo is listed as a DE.”

As much as I am not really a fan of “Roidboy” Cushing, he certainly would have been a better pick than Curry in the long run, provided Cush comes back stronger than ever from his blown knee. But yeah, how nice would it be to have Clay Matthews about now? Real nice. Only problem with that probability is Ruskell. Ruskell had a very hard and fast line with college production. He favored seniors too because of that. Clay Matthews coming out was more about his potential than anything else. He had like what, one or two solid years of production? Ruskell was the type to get spooked by players like that.

Ruskell also stayed away from players with off-the-field issues, or question marks; like B.J. Raji.

The thing about Aaron Curry to remember is that he was a two down ‘backer at Wake. Seattle drafted him with the idea he’d be an every down player, playing Sam in base and Will in nickel. That learning curve proved to be too steep. Moreover, the discipline the NFL game requires was something he never grasped. Add to that awful technique, from tackling to dropping into coverage, and you have a class A bust. To blame Curry entirely for it all is unfair, however. He was asked to do things he was simply incapable of doing (despite his physical gifts) which is a failing of the scouting dept. and Ruskell. His inability to improve what skills he did have is a failing on him. To me, Aaron Curry represents every failing of the Ruskell era. I’m grateful the lot of them are gone from this organization.

Matthews was drafted after his Sr. year. But yes, he had very quiet Fr and So seasons.

24. I never realized Curry was a two down player at Wake. For a two down player he sure did amass an impressive line of stats during his time there, in pretty much all categories other than sacks.

One thing I will say about Curry is that he was as brute strong as they come. Some of the things I saw him do with what was his one true gift was simply astonishing at times; like just rag-dolling TE’s at the LoS like no other SLB I’ve quite seen before. Too bad his instincts for playing LB weren’t just as strong.

Biggest draft bust in Seahawks history? Gotta be. Bigger than Boz, for sure. I mean, at least Bosworth could play the game.

25. Sekolah–Nah, although Curry is a far bigger bust than Bosworth, he isnt as a big a bust as the number 2 pick in the Draft, Rick Fu$%&ing Mirer, who never progressed past locking onto one receiver, and if he was covered, tucking the ball and running…

26. McCoy has made some epically terrible blocking attempts. Seriously, this guy just isnt a good blocker. Perhaps better than Winslow, but then again IM a better blocker than Winslow…so not saying much. Byrd is someone we should have kept, he’d have more catches than McCoy and was a fine blocker, which is what this terrible O-line needed. But Carrol and company go on who is younger and has the higher ceiling…

As good as they are, Carrol and Schneider have fouled up more than a couple times, and cutting Byrd and keeping McCoy has been one of them. But I still have faith and Im not picking on them–no one is perfect.

And yeah, Im still mystified about us not signing Winslow but keeping McCoy and that useless douche Evan Whatshisname, who wasnt even retained by the BROWNS!

27. Yeah, Mirer stunk pretty bad. Hard to forget that kind of stench. LOL. Didn’t we get good picks in exchange for him when we traded him?

28. I liked Dominique Byrd as well, but maybe the coaches knew something about him that we don’t. As I sit here at my keyboard, searching for his status as an NFL player, I see that he is no longer employed by an actual NFL team. I think he’s in the UFL, actually.

Mirer was a HOFer compared to Dan McGwire.

Yeah, Seattle was able to send him and a 4th to Chicago for their 1st. That works. lol

Detroit doing what they can to help Seattle. Or more accurately, Mason Crosby is.

31. SandpointHawk says:

Chris McIntosh also comes to mind…mine at least.

Lamar King…? lol

33. SandpointHawk says:

Lamar is a good choice indeed, but he did last five seasons…as a bench warmer…

34. Fricking Carolina – - couldn’t hang onto that win against TB, they had that one . . .

35. SandpointHawk says:

We need klm back, I’d frankly like to know how much money the Seahawks have wasted on first round busts over the years….adjusted for inflation of course…

I think if the Seahawks win one out of the next two games they will have a fair shot to win the division. If they win the next two they have a good shot, imo.

37. bbnate420 says:

Did you notice that the article was written by Dave?

This is one of the best bleacherreport articles that I have read. I admit that I haven’t been a big Robinson fan of the past, but I am now!
    And I didn’t know that he was 5th runnerup in the Heisman trophy race in College. Silly me.

bbnate420- No I didn’t, Dam beer! Good article Dave. And thanks Nate.

“Wow! Luck has over 300 yards passing.” “Not so wow! Luck has 3 ints and a 63 passing rating.” “But he had over 300 yards passing so he is the best rookie qb.” “But wait! He is behind 59-24.” “Doesn’t matter, he threw for over 300 yards.” Lol.

41. confucious says:

Wow.. Phillip rivers looks like darth vader swinging a light saber with that release! Why did I think he was a decent Qb at one time? Must have heard it on the hype machine… They’ll spend all day defending luck and scabbing their knees over brady tommorrow. Spin it!

Georgia – I’m really confused by your A. Luck post.

43. confucious says:

Duke, I believe Georgia was predicting the spin.

Dukeshire- So am I. Lol. Just playing with the Luck can’t do nothing wrong media.

Oh, I didn’t know that existed. Thought that was more the RGIII narrative. In any case, go it.

Dukeshire- I agree that that was more the RG111 narrative, however Luck is a close second, imo.

that that,Lol.

48. Palerydr says:

One mans list of ten worst #1 Seahawks draft picks:

10 Lawrence Jackson
    9 Kelly Jennings
    8 Andy Heck
    7 Anthony Simmons
    6 Chris Macintosh
    5 Jeremy Stevens
    4 Steve Niehaus
    3 Lamar King
    2 Aaron Curry
    1 Dan Mcgwire

Interesting Ray Roberts and Rick Mirer didn’t make the list.

50. Palerydr says:

Just my take Roberts played 9 years and was a starter in almost every game he played. Mirer set the rookie record for passing yds and I always felt he could have been better if he had been coached better with a better team around him. Again just my take.

I also have checked Ruskells drafts and although many think he was turrible he is responsible for drafting

Lofa Tatupu
    Leroy Hill
    Ben Obamanu
    Brandon Mebane
    Red Bryant
    Max Unger

As well as about a 1/2 doz others who are serviceable NFL players on other teams. The thing I hated about the guy was his policy of drafting 4 year starters from the major conferences. Looking over his drafts there were so many times we could have gotten a better player in the same round by not following his policy. Of course hind sight is 20/20.

Ruskell did have some success drafting *after* the first. His first round selections if taken as a collective, are bad as any GM is Seattle’s history, and perhaps the worst: Jennings, Jackson, Curry.

(What a depressing conversation this has turned into. lol)

52. Palerydr says:

Yes I agree depressing indeed. So everyone can agree we are a fan of the Bears for the MNF game. Also I would be very nervous if Arizona had a decent QB as their defense is not bad. I also expect the Rams to improve defensively with Fischer as their coach. I personally look forward to some defensive battles in the years to come. Course I’m biased towards great defense.

53. I thought Simmons was a player – but he couldn’t stay healthy. Maybe a reach as a first rounder though.

54. Screensmoke says:

Anthony Simmons kicked ass / short career 6 yrs but heck of a linebacker! 591 tackles(455 solo)35 tackles for loss- He was a beast and fastest backer in the whole league at the time!

55. Screensmoke says:

Nothing against Kelly Jennings but he was destined for the arena league. He truly was a joke in the NFL.he could cover but it was like a VW bug takin on a SEMI TRUCK head on . He was so tiny

56. Yeah, Anthony Simmons was definitely not a bust. He was a very solid player. Not a Pro Bowler, but pretty close.

Mike Holmgren’s first draft in 1999 has to be one of the worst in Seahawks history. The best player from that draft was Charlie Rogers.

57. Canfan, thanks for the link. That brought back a lot of memories.

58. Paleyryder__Anthony Simmons was a good linebacker for years, he just got injured then lazy. He didnt burn out in two years or anything, I cant believe you rank him and Andy Heck, who was a pretty good lineman and went on to play for years for the Bears at a high level as well, but you dont list RICK MIRER?! Wow!

McIntosh never really played due to a neck injury, I dont call that a bust, just bad luck. He didnt have injury concerns in college that I know of.

What about Koren Robinson? One really good year and the rest a waste, though it was nice how he came back and helped us some at the end.

Marcus Tubbs would get some votes, but not from me. THe guy was a stud player, he just blew his knee twice and the second time was it for him…and guess who trashed his knee both times?! The Fu&^%ing RAIDERS, may they rot in NFL hell!

I also think Ray Roberts was fine, he kept playing at a decent level after he left Seattle as well. He just wasnt Walter Jones, thats for sure!

59. Canfan–Im over my Holmgren crush, but to be fair he kept the last regimes scouting staff, which didnt work at all, his first draft. They didnt know what he needed in players, so we drafted compromise guys who all sucked. He says he would fire them with good references if he had it to do all over again, simply because it didnt work. But he was trying to be nice…