WR Kearse ready to contribute

Post by Eric Williams on Oct. 31, 2012 at 2:09 pm with 18 Comments »
October 31, 2012 2:09 pm

Seahawks receiver Jermaine Kearse said it’s a dream come true to finally get his chance to play this week, and that he understands the unique opportunity he has to play for the NFL team where he grew up.

The Lakes High of Tacoma and University of Washington product was activated from the practice squad to Seattle’s active roster this week, and is expected to contribute on specials teams and on offense.

“It’s like I can’t get out of Washington,” joked Kearse. “But I’m happy to be here. I’m very fortunate and blessed to be here. Not too many people get to live their whole life in a state, and then to play for the professional team in their state. So I’m very fortunate to be able to do that.”

Kearse said that even though he was on the practice squad, he approached every week like he was going to play, and benefitted from going against the No. 1 defense each week.

“It helps a lot,” Kearse said. “We have one of the top defenses in the NFL. And to go against those guys every day, it definitely helps me prepare in case I did get called up.”

Fellow receiver Sidney Rice said he’s looking forward to seeing what Kearse can do.

“To see him go out there on Sundays is going to be really fun,” Rice said. “He’s very quick, fast. He’s gets off the ball, and he probably has the best hands of all the receivers on the team. He looks the ball in well, and does a really good job.”

Said Kearse, when told that Rice said he has the best hands among the receiver group: “He was probably being nice.”

Seahawks veteran cornerback Marcus Trufant, also a Tacoma native, joked about the fact that Kearse was battling against his youngest brother Desmond Trufant every day in practice at the University of Washington last year, and now those two are going at it every day in practice.

“He just told me a couple weeks ago that he can’t get away from the Trufant,” Marcus Trufant said, smiling. “But yeah, he’s been working hard. He deserves a shot, and he’s getting his chance.”

Seattle head coach Pete Carroll said that Ben Obomanu would be in a cast because of his wrist injury for at least six weeks, and more likely eight, so that’s why the team decided to place him on the season-ending injured reserve list.

“He was the toughest guy in this program,” Carroll said about Obomanu. “He would come back from injuries, and he would not let this stop him. But he’s just going to be hampered too much with a cast on, so we made the move there.”

The Seahawks also brought back University of Oregon product receiver LavasierTuinei to fill out the practice squad. Tuinei was with Seattle during training camp.

Carroll said that receiver Doug Baldwin is running and looking better. Carroll appeared more optimistic that Baldwin could make it back from a high-ankle sprain to play on Sunday.

Notes from practice
  1. hawkfan777 says:

That is a great article but if Kearse is as good as Rice says he is why in the world was he sitting on the practice squad?

2. RDPoulsbo says:

Call me skeptical. I know we should be rooting for the local guy, but he’s also below Charlie Martin. You know, the guy who couldn’t have been any worse on the GB Hail Hary play. The WR depth is a real concern and Tuinei is potentially the next man to be called up if there’s another injury gives me nightmares of a Kerry Colbert trade coming.

3. Chawksrule says:

Good news if Baldwin can play. Need a third down specialist in the lineup for the next 8 games.

Go Hawks!!!

4. Seahawks2620 says:

The fact that rice said that Kearse probably has the best hands of the group says quite a bit if true. Kind of shocking really, seeing as how he tortured huskies fans with crucial drops at times. I though Tate had the best hands on the team (supposedly)?

5. Yeah, I remember drops being a real issue with Kearse @ UW. When Locker was here, he just kept slinging it to him. He usually would catch the next one after a drop at least. Usually when you are that far along in football, your hands are what they are going to be… but maybe he’s really worked on the technique and focus needed to catch more consistently. Perhaps with the help of professional coaches this sort of thing can be fixed, because the next step is psychotherapy. Hope Sidney is right about what he’s observed and not just talking him up.

6. Ewalters7354 says:

Rice is just being nice.Kearse was good in college, but dropped a bundle of passes.Tate to me does indeed have the best hands on the team.He dropped a few passes so far, but last year he didn’t drop anything.Hopefully they sign a receiver just in case Baldwin can’t play.

7. well, i hope it’s all true (can’t say I watch very much college ball), we could sure use the help.

as others have noted, Obo was a big help on special teams, I noticed him quite a bit on punt coverage especially, he’ll be missed there. at WR, not that much.

8. And still no sign of Butler…

9. Ewalters7354 says:

I agree Obo wilk be missed on ST.He has always been valuable in that area.Hope Maxwell gets healthy so he can take over.That guy has been hurt since he was drafted smh

10. I happen to really like Kearse (and Im not even a UW fan), and I thought he did extremely well with the reps he was given in preseason. I saw him drop balls in college too, but in the pros he’s been doing very well.

He looks like a prototypical FL to me, but can play well in the slot as well. Martin has done nothing except drop a couple passes in real games this year. I dont think it will take Kearse long to leapfrog Martin.

Losing Obo on Special Teams is gonna hurt.

11. I cant believe Butler hasnt been signed by an NFL team, but then again he’s very short and small–NFL teams are looking for the total package–size, speed, hands–and often overlook quality players who lack the measurables.

Hell, look at Amendola: the guy was ALWAYS open against us, yet they barely played him until Jeff Fisher took over: then they start feeding the ball to him, and BAM! instant star…too bad he got hurt…Amendola isnt small, but he is white lol!

Anyway, I still think Butler will make a fine slot WR in the NFL if anyone will give him a chance…

12. freedom_X says:

Butler never showed he could consistently get open. He didn’t produce big as a Seahawk. Every team has a player or two equal or better than Butler on paper. There are other unemployed receivers who are probably as good or better prospects than Butler.

In those cases, a guy just has to wait for his lucky break and capitalize. Just like an actor who manages to get a role and it jumpstarts their career.

A guy like Amendola bought time on the roster by being an excellent special teams player (have I said that before?) He played on the coverage units and returned kicks and punts. And he had as many as 43 receptions in a single season before Fisher took over.

Amendola can get open, and he has quickness. You will often find that the so-called physically unimpressive specimens at WR who “magically” put up big numbers are all guys that have been used to return punts and kicks regularly (especially punts.)

The qualities needed to be a solid punt returner (hands, judgement, fearlessness, and quickness to avoid tacklers) are the same qualities that a good slot receiver should have.

Butler was never used on punts. They used him a bit on kick returns but I don’t think they were happy with him, and pulled the plug on him after a few games.

13. bbnate420 says:

STTBM, Amendola had 85 catches for 689 yards and 3 TDs in 2010. He got hurt in the first game of 2011 and was out for the rest of the year.

14. Having watched Kearse for many years now I’m confident he can have as much success in the NFL as he wants or is determined to have. He’s not a barn-burner but he runs great routes and gets separation.

IMO, his biggest area for improvement has always been his focus. He tends to be one of those guys that makes the really tough catch and then turns around and drops the easy one. I think if he remains hungry, plays with some degree of fear (for his job) he may just surprise a bunch of people. I mean if you are Minnesota who are you going to focus your best defenders on?

All that said, I hope he can play ST’s. It’s the one area I’m not sure of his talent. I presume he’ll be a gunner but maybe not?

Just talking about Kearse and Butler tells me how weak we are at WR. Hope to get Baldwin back soon!

16. RDPoulsbo says:

Actually, I think Butler is our best option out there. He could be had for the minimum contract and won’t cost a draft pick. We’re down to Kearse and potentially Tuinei and people are fretting about Butler? Beggars can’t be chooser here. Besides, they’re looking for a #4 or #5 WR to get though the season, not the next Larry Fitz.

17. I agree 100% RDPoulsbo.

18. bbnate420 says: