Morning links: Bowe in Hawks’ plans? Don’t bet on it

Post by Eric Williams on Oct. 26, 2012 at 8:19 am with 24 Comments »
October 26, 2012 8:19 am
Kansas City Chiefs' Dwayne Bowe (82) cannot make the catch under pressure from Buffalo Bills' Stephon Gilmore (27) during the first half of an NFL football game in Orchard Park, N.Y., Sunday, Sept. 16, 2012. (AP Photo/Bill Wippert)

John McGrath of The News Tribune examines the possibility of the Seattle Seahawks securing a top-flight receiver like Kansas City’s Dwayne Bowe before the NFL trade deadline expires on Oct. 30. McGrath also looks at Seattle’s history of midseason trades.

As McGrath notes, traditionally NFL teams don’t make blockbuster moves during the middle of the season trade deadline like the Major League Baseball and the NBA.

Now, the Seahawks did move disgruntled linebacker Aaron Curry last October for a seventh rounder in this year’s draft and a conditional, fifth-round pick in 2013. Seattle also made a midseason trade for Marshawn Lynch with Buffalo in 2010, with the Seahawks giving up a fourth round pick in 2011 and a fifth rounder in 2012.

At 6-2 and 220 pounds, Bowe’s a talented receiver and would help Seattle. But I don’t think the Seahawks believe they are a receiver away from being a Super Bowl contender. Draft picks are valuable for this franchise when you look at Seattle’s ability to secure young talent through the draft, particularly in the latter rounds.

And I don’t believe the Seahawks would be willing to part with a young, talented player, particularly on defense.

Bowe’s contract also needs to be considered. At 28 years old, Bowe played under the $9.515 million franchise tender this season. He’ll be an unrestricted free agent in 2013 and wants a lucrative, long-term deal. And the Seahawks have traditionally not given big money to players nearing 30 years old, unless they are proven guys in their system like defensive end Chris Clemons.

You also have to consider fit in terms of scheme and personality, and I don’t know if Bowe necessarily meets those as well.

Ryan Divish of The News Tribune writes about Detroit defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh, and how the Seahawks will deal with him on Sunday.

The Sports Network previews the Lions-Seahawks game here.

Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch attends the Seattle premiere of the independent movie “Matt’s Chance.” Lynch made a cameo appearance in the movie.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com says that Charly Martin must step up with Doug Baldwin out because of a high-ankle sprain.

Larry Stone of the Seattle Times writes that quarterback Russell Wilson must play better on the road.

Khaled Elsayed of Pro Football Focus writes that the Seahawks are one of the teams in the NFL that lean heavily on the play-action pass. Only the Washington Redskins run more play-action than Seattle.

Morning links
  1. CDHawkFan says:

With 31 other teams out there who can sign him next year, and 4.5m still due this year, I don’t think a rent-a-player is worth it unless you are talking about a 7th rounder. He did kill us a few years ago.
    Guess it depends on how despirate KC is with dumping salary and if they want to resign him, their season is over.

2. HawkfaninMT says:

I actually mentioned the Bowe idea a couple weeks back, but it was lost among Wilson debates.

Obviously it depends on cost, bith in trade and in contract. Definitely would not trade for him without signing him to a longer deal. With that being said, he is still young and a top 10 WR in this league that could play Split End for us. Is there a WR in the 2nd round of the draft that you would rather have? Not only in the 2nd round but bottom half of the 2nd round? I can’t name one.

If he were to sign on for a decent contract and be had for a 2nd (or definitely a 3rd) I would jump for joy if the Hawks made that move.

3. RDPoulsbo says:

Suh vs. Seattle’s interior o-line is the matchup I’m most concerned about. It’s a good thing he’s not lining up against Breno. The two of them could set a record for most penalties in a game.

I tend to agree with Eric regarding Bowe; I just don’t see a realistic scenario where he comes to Seattle through a trade.

I really hope Moffitt plays Sunday. I want to see him square off against Suh. Beyond all that, I hope Seattle runs Lynch and Turbin right at him all afternoon.

5. sluggo42 says:

I would love bowe in hawk colors!

Sometimes the best way to handle the monster is to run down his throat, hit him first.

I am curious as to how they will gameplan this week. Or will it just be more of the same?

6. I personally do not think Bowe’s worth investing in. He’s not going to help Wilson read defenses, call protections, trust his protection, or see Sidney Rice when he’s open. These growing pains we are watching the offense go through are more related to Wilson than anything else. Yeah, the dropsies really killed him last week, but until I see it become a trend I’m going to assume it was just a bad game for our receivers. Even if Baldwin is lost for a significant amount of time, we’re going to be alright, imo.

7. I have heard too many stories about Bowe being a knucklehead. Besides, if you trade a high draft pick, it’s gone. What I mean by this is if you have a good pick in the draft, on draft day teams call about moving up and you can trade down to get additional picks, too. So, in a way, we’d be trading a high pick and forfeiting the potential at securing additional picks for Bowe. No thanks.

8. OregonHawk says:

Is there any other WR’s coming out in free agency that look good?

What does the draft look like for Wr’s? noting that we will be in the middle to end of the draft….

9. I’d rather wait and pick a receiver in the draft.

10. JMSeaTown says:

I don’t want to sign a 28 yr old wr to a long term deal… We could do better with a 1st rd draft pick next year.

11. ChrisHolmes says:

12. JMSeaTown says:

Robert Woods, USC wr will be available in the low to mid 20s….

13. JMSeaTown says:

Keenan Allen, wr Cal & Terrance Williams, wr Baylor should be available in the 20s too… I like all of them more than Bowe

Predicting who will be available where, in October, is crazy. Williams may very well end up a top 10 pick if he kills the SR Bowl and blows up the combine. And Woods has not followed up last year very well, at all. But if he comes out and lights up the combine, he could be the first receiver off the board. In any case, just a counter to your mid / low 20 prediction. But as I said, who knows right now?

15. Are there any rookie WRs this year that are performing better than Bowe (427Yd 3TD)? Blackmon, Floyd, Wright, Jenkins. All 1st rounders and aren’t on your FF roster, because WRs take time to develop. Also, not so sure this FO evaluates WRs in the draft that well. If KC want to get some value out of him before he is FA, it’s worth pinging them to see what they want.

16. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

“I personally do not think Bowe’s worth investing in. He’s not going to help Wilson read defenses, call protections, trust his protection, or see Sidney Rice when he’s open. These growing pains we are watching the offense go through are more related to Wilson than anything else. Yeah, the dropsies really killed him last week, but until I see it become a trend I’m going to assume it was just a bad game for our receivers. Even if Baldwin is lost for a significant amount of time, we’re going to be alright, imo.”

Agreed. I don’t even think Steve Largent and Brian Blades would be able significantly improve our passing offense.

17. MoSeahawk12 says:

but we all know you sure would…..Aren’t you late for your job at Sears?

18. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

“but we all know you sure would…..Aren’t you late for your job at Sears?”

Hey look, yet another troll taking jabs at me because I’m not a blind homer. That’s new!

19. MoSeahawk12 says:

20. MoSeahawk12 says:

Steve Largent called and asked that you never speak his name again.

21. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

“yep I live under a bridge and everything. Team sport. Much more than just the QB. Hard to process all that info I’m sure, but basketball is right around the corner and it’s only 5 on 5 there. Might be easier for you.”

Football being a team sport and the offense’s struggles being “much more than just the QB” doesn’t excuse Wilson’s own individual poor performances. Hard to process such a simple statement, I’m sure, but golf or NASCAR might be easier for you.

See? I can respond with childish insults and digs at your intelligence too, but I generally refrain from such nonsense because I actually come here to talk about Seahawks football instead of acting like a petulant name-calling child. HURR MOSEAHAWK12 MORE LIKE LESSSEAHAWK12YEARS OLD HAHAHAHA AREN’T I CLEVER?! DURRRR

You should come back to this blog when you’ve completed middle school.

22. MoSeahawk12 says:

yep, you’ve changed….good to see you fall back on your standard responses. You just can’t help yourself. It’s too easy. Ok, I have to get back to hanging out with actual people. The catbox is all yours.

23. “Bowe IS a knucklehead. There is simply no scenario under which I would want him coming to Seattle and being a member of this team. You couldn’t GIVE him to Seattle, as far as I am concerned.”

I have read and heard more of the same from other fans, and the experts. I’ve never considered him a top tier WR anyway, but he is just below that standard.

With all of the above said, Marshawn Lynch, as I recall, was a lot like Bowe in terms of fan and media perception before we traded for him. Bowe feels a little different based on age though.

24. PugetHawk says:

Bowe is not going to come here. Does this guy really fit into this system and the type of guys that Pete and John have brought in? I think not. Plus, by the time he learned the playbook and got into rhythm the season would be lost. The QB controversy is already enough of a distraction. No need to add more.