DT Jason Jones doubtful vs. Lions

Post by Eric Williams on Oct. 26, 2012 at 1:59 pm with 27 Comments »
October 26, 2012 1:59 pm

Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll said defensive tackle Jason Jones is doubtful for Sunday’s game against Detroit due to an ankle injury.

Jones did not practice at all this week, but according to Carroll will make the trip with the rest of the team to Detroit.

This will be the first game Jones will miss this season if he can’t play on Sunday. Jones grew up just outside of Detroit in Southfield, Mich. He has 2.5 sacks on the year.

If Jones can’t go, rookie defensive tackle Greg Scruggs likely will see more time on third downs as a pass rusher.

“They’re a different style,” Carroll said, when asked if Jones and Scruggs have a similar skill set. “J.J. (Jones) just has a whole way about him. He’s so long, and he’s got that kind of slither about him. Scruggs is a little more classic, but Scruggs is a better pass rusher than we thought. We didn’t know that he would have the creativity that he has. So he has a chance to be a real good player for us.”

Offensive lineman John Moffitt (knee) made it through practice this week, but will be listed as questionable for Sunday. And even if Moffitt is available, Carroll said he’ll be used more as depth and not as a starter.

Carroll said that receiver Doug Baldwin (ankle) and cornerback Byron Maxwell (hamstring) have been ruled out of Sunday’s game.

Marshawn Lynch (back) is probable for Sunday.

Carroll also said that Golden Tate had a nice, bounce back week after his struggles catching the ball against San Francisco. Both Tate and Braylon Edwards will play at split end on Sunday, but Carroll would not say whether or not Tate will start.

Carroll also said the team has made a decision on whether or not defensive back Walter Thurmond will be activated from the PUP list this week, but he did not share that decision with reporters.

Earlier this week, Carroll seemed to indicate the team was going to wait another week to bring Thurmond off the PUP list.

Offensive lineman James Carpenter is this year’s recipient of the Ed Block courage award, an honor voted on by teammates which goes to the player who exemplifies commitment to the principles of sportsmanship and courage.

Carpenter won the award for his diligent work in rehabbing from a torn ACL that cut short his 2011 season.

Defensive end Red Bryant received the award in 2011.

Notes from practice
  1. SandpointHawk says:

Surprised to hear about Jones but really nice news about Carp. I like it when the players give an award, it somehow cuts beyond the constant hype for me…

2. HawkfaninMT says:

Congrats to Carp! I hope he continues the trend set by Bryant of success

Good to hear Carp is doing well. Hopefully this revolving door of LGs since Hutch left has stopped.

I see alot of pancakes in the future on the left side of our O-Line.

4. Ewalters7354 says:

Unfortunate injury for Jones.But I’m pleased by how healthy this team has been thus far.

I hope that this is finally the game that the hawks put together their best performance ofthe season,and play consistent football.

5. Wouldn’t that be nice to see. When was our last blowout anyway. Hey, it could happen…any given Sunday.

6. Time for Scruggs and McDonald to step up. Scruggs has been a very pleasant surprise coming out the way he has. It looks as though this F.O. and scouting dept. have discovered yet another gem. If Scruggs can use this opportunity to really make a statement, we probably won’t even be talking about what it will take to re-sign Jason Jones.

There is going to be so much money tied up in that secondary a year or two from now that they might not have much of a choice but to make Scruggs and/or McDonald their 3 technique DT’s.

7. ryanryan says:

i like the opportunity that both charly martin and scruggs will get sunday…fingers=crossed.

“Wouldn’t it be nice if we were older”
    “Then we wouldn’t have to wait so long”
    “And wouldn’t it be nice to play together”
    “In the NFL where we belong”

“You know its gonna make it that much better”
    “If this young team can play together”

“Wouldn’t it be nice if we could wake up”
    “In the morning when the games are through”
    “And after having blogged the day together”
    “We could be all be with the Seahawk blue”

” Happy times together we’ve been spending”
    “I wish that every season was never ending”
    “Wouldn’t it be nice”

“Maybe if we think and wish and hope and pray it might come true”
    “Mabe then there wouldn’t be a single thing we couldnt do”
    “We could be champions”
    “And then wed be happy”

“Wouldn’t it be nice”

“You know it seems the more we talk about it”
    “It only makes it worse to live without it”
    “But lets talk about it”
    “Wouldn’t it be nice”

9. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

Did Carroll also say that Russell Wilson had a nice, bounce back week after his struggles throwing the ball against San Francisco?

10. sluggo42 says:

Nice Georgia,
    I played “endless summer” when I moved to SoCal 28 years ago. Played it nonstop for the two days of driving in my old 62 TR4…
    Where did the time go…..

11. montanamike2 says:

I like Scruggs potential.

12. I have to admit that I was a bit shocked initially that Charlie even made the team. But from what I’ve seen in his limited reps thus far, I have liked. I see why they kept him and why he fits in. He plays with a fairly hard nosed attitude; ready and willing to do the dirt that the coaches ask of him. Still not sure about his toughness though. In preseason he made some big plays and showed sure hands and nifty route running. He very nearly could have been the hero of that opener against AZ, but then again, so could have Braylon, Sidney, etc..

13. confucious says:

I see detroit bieng another tough matchup. Detroit, with their defense (top 10) and offensive attack (top 10 most yards per game?) are potentially on the same course as san fran. High draft picks for many years that are ready to blossom. The Hawks defense speaks for itself and should keep them in every game they play. The offense is a mona lisa with no head, a definate work in progress. If the hawks recievers and te’s can display the ability to catch the ball early and RW can borrow a pair of ace frehley’s platform shoes (the last for the RW contrarians on the blog) that should loosen the line for lynch to have another productive day. I would hope that the Bevell/Wilson team has found some semblance of tempo to install into the offense. They seem to kill post big play momentum by running the offense sooooo sloooow.

14. wabubba67 says:

Yeah, ACIB (RADon or whatever other aka you are going with this week), Wilson should clearly pass and then run down the field and catch it himself. If he drops it, then I would be willing to agree with you and blame him too. Wilson is incompetent because Turbin and Moore can’t catch?? Makes sense to me!

15. sluggo42 says:

Good point,

Years and years of high draft picks tends to catch up for a team, altho it’s a good thing that many were wasted with their old version of numbskull, or they would really be loaded now.

16. bbnate420 says:

I want to see it on the field from Tate. Hopefully, it was just a bad day. He’s human. We all have bad days. He definitely has been better this year, excluding Thursday. Like to see him inside with Braylon at SE a good amount.

The Jones loss will have an impact I believe. He’s been pretty good on passing downs. Hopefully Clem and Irvin are flying around the edges and pushing Stafford up into the DTs, whoever they are. Glad it’s not the knee that was an issue in TC. We’ll see if it’s anything serious. They usually give out as little info as possible.

Anyone followed the Lions enough to know what’s up with Stafford this year? Lack of running game finally caught up?

17. bbnate420 says:

wabbubba67, please refrain from rattling the troll cages. Thanks. :-)

18. Just to stir it up… it’s okay for Tate to make a miracle “catch” to win a game (Wilson got the win, in starting pitcher/QB terms) but it’s not okay for anyone to ever drop the ball (which they did and they sucked for him against San Fran)? So, Wilson is entitled to miracle catches but nobody is ever allowed to drop it or it’s their fault?

For me, this isn’t just about Wilson. John Elway/Joe Montana/Dan Marino/Tom Brady/Peyton Manning, etc. had great catches made for them and they got credit for being so great but they also had receivers potentially cost them some extra career wins, too (for Brady, I think back to when his WRs kept dropping the ball in the Indy AFC Championship Game some years ago). They all won some they should have lost, but they also lost some they should have won. Since they were so great, they have helped their teams win many more games (as in Marino finishing with a winning record even though some of his teams weren’t good… we’d win the Super Bowl this year, I’d bet money on, if he was 25 years old and our QB today).

19. bbnate420 says:

I’m somewhat ambivalent about the Lions D. They are 8th in yards allowed, but they are only 16th in points allowed. This could have something to do with special teams? They have a worse TO ratio than the Hawks, -5 to -1, so I don’t see that as the major factor. Everyone talks about how bad their secondary is, but they are 6th in pya and 16th in rya. They are also 16th in rushing yards per attempt allowed. Maybe their pass rush has protected the secondary? They have 17 sacks to the Hawks 19, but I can’t find a stat for rushes on NFL.com. Their secondary doesn’t seem to have any names pop out to me. Chris Houston is a above average corner though IMO.

20. bbnate420 says:

BobbyK, I agree to some extent. You have to take the good with the bad, but 5-6 drops in a single game is killer, especially in a tight game versus a team like SF on the road. I don’t think you can totally excuse RW or the offensive coaches, but if a couple of those drops were catches, the game probably would’ve been much different. He’s definitely NOT Brady, Manning, Brees, or Rodgers at this point. He’s a rookie. He needs his play makers to make most of the plays when he gives them the opportunity. They aren’t abundant with this current offense.

I still have faith in Tate, like you do I believe. I haven’t necessarily given up on him after one bad game. I’m not sure that I ever see him being more than a solid #2 though. If Rice is healthy, that’s what we need from him. Regardless of all this, I think WR should be the #1 off-season priority. FA or draft. Probably will have to be draft unless Rice gets hurt again, knock on wood, and they release him after the year. I would be very happy if like a Keenan Allen got caught smoking the Ganja right before the draft and fell to us.

21. bbnate420 says:

I just re-read my post about the Lions D. They have a worse TO ratio that the Hawks, which could be a major factor in the PPG allowed by the defense. I stupidly posted the opposite.

With the WRs, I forgot to mention Baldwin’s health issues this year. That is another major reason that I think we need to make a major commitment to upgrading the position in the off-season. We probably needed to upgrade regardless, but that gives another major impetus.

22. Excited about the game tomorrow! I think the Lions D will give us all we can handle in their own backyard on for our O, but I hope the extra long week plus of prep will help us out. I relish the chance to see our D versus their O; I really hope we figure out a way to bring consistent pressure on passing downs for the entire game. If we can do that, I think this bodes pretty well for us.

I also haven’t given up on Tate…yet. I love his ability to create in space and his athleticism; I’m just not fond of his “pin to chest” style of catching the ball. Any professional receiver that uses that technique more often than not seems to be more inconsistent with reliable catching. I would love for him to make me eat my words though!

On a personal note, stupid Directv and Kayu 28 in Spokane have stopped their nearly three month feud and I can finally watch the Hawks in my own home again! So hooray for me lol.

GO HAWKS!

23. bbnate420 says:

kudaddy, if you have internet hook-up and are cut off again, you can stream the games online for free at http://www.thefirstrow.eu. It’s not necessarily the best, but it’s free. Some people have alson said it’s NSFW. I personally haven’t had that problem. It also doesn’t work well with Explorer. Use Firefox or Safari.

24. bbnate420 says:

kudaddy, I agree about Tate as well. I like a lot about him, but I also think he doesn’t catch the ball with his hands nearly enough. It’s fine to let the ball come into your body when it’s an arching pass like the RW to Rice pass to take the lead VS NE. When it’s more of a horizontal pass, I think it’s more consistent to catch the pass with your hands. Don’t let it get into your body.

25. bbnate420,

Cool, thanks for the link! Hopefully I won’t lose my coverage again for awhile, but good to have the steaming option in my back pocket!

GO HAWKS!

26. bbnate420 says:

No problem. I only used it once when my cable was effed up, but it’s definitely better than nothing. You can stream it on NFL.com too I believe, but you have to pay a certain amount. I don’t know how much, but I think they give you HD.

27. grizindabox24 says: