Wilson on road woes: ‘We just have to play a little better.’

Post by Eric Williams on Oct. 25, 2012 at 1:32 pm with 17 Comments »
October 25, 2012 1:32 pm

Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson was asked about his team’s struggles in moving the ball through the air on the road.

The Seahawks are 1-3 away from home this season. And Wilson has played poorly on the road, with two touchdowns, seven interceptions and a 55.7 passer rating.

“I think the biggest difference is we just have to play a little better,” Wilson said. “Whatever it is, we’ve lost some very close games on the road. So we just need to finish those games, and that’s what it really comes down to.

“So, just focusing on executing and finishing, especially in the second halves, and the third quarters and fourth quarters, we’ve got to just make the plays when we need them.”

Asked what the optimal amount of throws he would like to make, Wilson once again did not take the bait.

“Enough throws to win,” Wilson said. “It doesn’t matter what it is. I don’t care what it is. I don’t care if it’s one, two or 32 – or 52 – it’s just making enough throws to win the game.”

“I think the key is just in terms of the passing game is to continue to work on our third down and in the red zone just capitalize when we get those opportunities,” Wilson said.

Asked about his ability to rally his team late in games, Wilson said that’s the moment he lives for as a football player. Wilson also said that he believes those late-game experiences will help Seattle in the second half of the season.

“All I ever ask for is to have the ball in my hands with two minutes left to win the game,” Wilson said. “That’s what I think we’ve done a great job of this season. Even though we’ve lost three tough games on the road, we’ve had a chance to win the game. And same with the game we’ve won.

“And so I think that’s the biggest thing. This league is so tough. And every week it’s going to come down to the last minute or two usually. And so that’s what I ask for. That’s what I want.”

Notes from practice
  1. Key word, “little”.

2. Here’s my impersonation of Fox news.
    Russell Wilson says he wants to ‘throw 52 passes’ vs the Lions.

3. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

“Asked about his ability to rally his team late in games, Wilson said that’s the moment he lives for as a football player”

Why does Wilson get credit for “rallying” the team late in games? The only reason they aren’t blowouts is because of our incredible defense locking them down and not giving Wilson more than one-score deficit. There’s a reason why Wilson suddenly starts moving the chains towards the end of games folks, it’s called prevent defense.

4. sluggo42 says:

MSNBC reports Wilson only wants to throw 1 or 2 passes per game. “It doesn’t matter, and I don’t care”

C’mon Rob, don’t bring politics in here, I’m retired and spend way too much time on that already…

5. It would be nice to give the D some props for keeping it close. I suspect the story of the season would be quite a bit different if the Hawks D were only above average.

And yea, the RZ and 3rd performance of the O continues to be crap-tastic. I dug through play-by-plays and posted some interesting stats on 3rd down performance one of the earlier stories. Home and road don’t look much different and I don’t see much movement one way or another through the first 7 games.

If the O could perform like a mediocre offense in the RZ and on 3rd, they would be winning games going away with their D, not scrambling for a last-minute TD.

6. bbnate420 says:

I guess NE was playing prevent on that Rice TD catch? The drive versus Carolina where the Panthers barely had a lead and it was the 3rd quarter? Your theories don’t even stand up to 3rd grade level examination. :-(

7. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

Why does Wilson get credit for “rallying” the team late in games?

it’s real simple even you should understand this. just as he get’s the blame he get’s the credit can’t have it both ways.

8. SandpointHawk says:

The MSNBC ans FOX News comments were great. Politics on Insider’s, I vote for No, but you both did make me laugh…..

9. sluggo42 says:

This place is just like MSNBC and FOX. You have the right and the left, the dems and the GOP.
    the posters and the RW hater posters.
    It’s in their blood…

10. surelyyoujest says:

“Why does Wilson get credit for “rallying” the team late in games?

Well, because he gets blamed for NOT rallying them in close games, right buck-a-roo ? Blamed when we lose, blamed for his completion percentage, blamed for his sacks, blamed for moving out of the pocket to soon, blamed for his receivers drops…..and especially blamed for his height.

He throws two late TD’s to beat the Pat’s and that’s just because of a weak Pat’s secondary, right ? Isn’t that also the reason given for Flynn’s performance against the Lions ? And is the Pat’s scoring 23 points and 400+ yards considered a defensive “lock down” ? Really ?

I love our D, and they are playing awesome football, but when a guy throws a perfect strike 50 yards down the field to win against a quality opponent, the least you can do is tip your cap. If you can’t do that, you really need to think about what they heck you’re doing watching a football game.

ACIB – The Pats were in Cover 2 when Rice got *behind* them.

sluggo42 – I’m Democracy Now in that scenario. (I can be too volatile to be NPR.)

13. sluggo42 says:

Ya Duke, you and I would butt heads hard… No need to go there…

Lol. Are you like the 700 Club, or something? (I’m only kidding…)

“The Pats were in Cover 2 when Rice got *behind* them.”

Lol. Dukeshire.

Sometimes if you give them enough rope they will hang themselves.

16. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

made a bet with a buddy who is a raider fan that the hawks would beat new england. the bet was he had to wear a sea hawk jersey to work,lol. he looked mighty sexy in that pink jersey.

17. MoSeahawk12 says:

the very same game that ACIB said he was impressed with Wilson’s play for the first time and briefly considered trying to watch and understand the entire game of football. That whole 11 guys playing as a team to block so that Wilson had enough time to set up and throw a perfect pass to Rice who had gotten behind the D. But hey, they are a bad D and Wilson still sucks….got it. No surprises here, nothing to see or read. Just another deep thought.