Morning links: Hawks DBs ready to battle ‘Megatron’

Post by Eric Williams on Oct. 25, 2012 at 8:03 am with 44 Comments »
October 25, 2012 8:03 am
Detroit receiver Calvin Johnson makes a catch over Chicago receiver Charles Tillman in an NFL game on Sunday, Nov. 2,2008. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh)

In my story today, the Seahawks are one of the few teams that can match up physically to 6-foot-5 Detroit receiver Calvin Johnson, dubbed “Megatron” because of his superhuman-like ability on the field.

Seattle’s big corners, 6-4 Brandon Browner and 6-3 are looking forward to the challenge.

“He’s a big dude,” Browner said. “We ain’t really worried about him being too shifty at the line of scrimmage, but he poses a challenge for the simple fact that he gets a lot of targets. He’s a great athlete. He runs a 4.3 (40-yard time). He can jump out of the gym, so it will be a fun challenge for us.”

Sherman changed his Twitter handle to “Optimus Prime” this week – Megatron’s nemesis in the TV show.

Chicago cornerback Charles Tillman provided a blueprint for how the Seahawks might deal with the athletic Johnson.

At 6-2, Tillman is similar in stature to Sherman and Browner. He harassed Johnson all evening and contested most of his 11 targets, limiting Johnson to three catches for 34 yards in Chicago’s 13-7 win over Detroit on Monday night.

Tillman earned NFC Defensive Player of the Week honors for his effort.

Dave Boling of The News Tribune writes that the Seahawks under Pete Carroll bring the intensity for each game. In Carroll’s last 15 games, Seattle has won nine. And in the six losses, none were more than a touchdown. Boling: “Whatever else has gone on, win or lose, this team’s effort and emotion and competitive energy have been absolutely above reproach. This team shows up to play every week.”

Art Thiel of Sportspressnw.com writes that Seattle’s weakest position, wide receiver, took another blow with Doug Baldwin out because of a high-ankle sprain. Thiel: “One bad game doesn’t condemn a season, but it does invite the use of a magnifying glass. Rice, the Seahawks’ No. 1 receiver, has been targeted 38 times, catching 22. The No. 2 guy, Tate, has been targeted 27 times, catching 13. That’s 54 percent, a low number for the two prime downfield targets.”

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times writes that the Seattle’s offense performs well early in games using the first 15 scripted plays, but succumbs to the pressure of the game after the opening quarter. O’Neil: “I would argue that if you look back at the past three games, Seattle has been hampered by its attempts to adjust to in-game situations. Specifically, the offense has performed a proverbial swan dive once Seattle has gone past its 15-play offensive script.”

It’s an interesting take by Danny, but it doesn’t explain Seattle’s ability to rally in the fourth quarter. I think there’s been plays to be made in all of the games, but what Seattle does in the fourth quarter is lean on players like Marshawn Lynch and Sidney Rice to make plays for them in critical stretches of the game, and they need to do that in the meat of the game. I don’t think it really has anything to do with in-game adjustments.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com notes in his practice report that quarterback Russell Wilson is rooting for Detroit in the World Series because his older brother grew up playing with Tigers pitcher Justin Verlander back in Virginia.

ESPN’s Mike Sando notes the big drops in penalties for Seattle now that the replacement officials are gone, something Carroll talked about this week.

Brian Burke, writing for the New York Times Fifth Down blog, gives Seattle a 44 percent win chance against the Lions.

According to this Seattle P-I report, Marshawn Lynch has bought a $3.6 million house in the Bay Area.

Morning links
  1. Ewalters7354 says:

How in the world is this crappy o-line not getting a bundle of penalties called? May RW made the difference…

2. Ewalters7354 says:
  3. I think the regular officials are letting a lot of pass interference go. I watch just about all NFL games and they are “letting the players play” which may be good or bad depending on your view point.

The replacement officials were calling everything Pass Interference, which was good for scoring, bad for the length of the games and neutral for the Seahawks. While the Seahawks DBs were called frequently for PI, the WRs got a lot of questionable calls in their favor as well.

4. sluggo42 says:

Good thing we have tall corners, cuz short players can’t be successful

5. chrisj122 says:

Sluggo – you have stated that everyone needs stop harping on the whole QB situation because it is what is. Pete is not going to change QB’s at this point so to keep talking about it is pointless and a negative waste of time (or something to that effect)no need to beat a dead horse. And I totally agree with that opinion. I have said it’s not what I would have done but it’s decided, that boat has sailed and it’s time to move on.

However you are the first one to post something sarcastic or make a comment that indirectly goes to the QB situation. It’s as if you are trying to bait others into starting up the RW conversation just so you can go off about how RW is our QB get used to it, stop beating a dead horse and then question their dedication as a Hawk fan.

If you truly want the RW talk to stop maybe you should stop indirectly referring to it when no one else has even mentioned it.

6. HawkfaninMT says:

Consider the bait taken Chris!

7. tacomahawk73 says:

“Sherman changed his Twitter handle to “Optimus Prime” this week”

lol…nice. Autohawks, ROLL OUT!!

8. sluggo42 says:

Maybe sometimes a a taste of your own cooking helps to clarify things finally…

9. Ewalters7354 says:

Typical Sluggo.

Crappy o-line? I hope that’s sarcasm. This line has played serviceably at worst and solid at best, IMO.

11. chrisj122 says:

So Sluggo, playing the victim role with your passive aggressive comments is giving clarity to exactly what?

I’m beginning to think you really enjoy the QB debate and like it when the blog turns ugly with rants and personal attacks.

Why else would you continually make comments or indirect comments that only refer to one thing that you know can be an explosive topic?

Sluggo – Are you implying that Seattle’s secondary was as effective as this unit when they had smaller corners there? Because as much as I liked Josh Wilson, this secondary is immeasurably better than anything Seattle’s had since the 80s. Or was that a comment non sequitur regarding R. Wilson? Sadly I think we know. Come on, dude…

13. SLuggo – just wants to be the bully and blame everything on other people Resposting the same thing all the time.

This is multiple times he has posted to intentionally stir the pot. Dumb – arce commenting on his part again troll behavior

14. Ewalters7354 says:

Duke, it was indeed sarcasm.If I say it any other way I will get bashed and interrogated until I get in their rim.Like yesterday…

15. tacomahawk73 says:

Clearly it was non sequitur, Duke. His comment had basically nothing to do with the hawks secondary. I think he was actually making an inference to Spud Webb and Mugsy Bogues, or maybe even Emmanuel Lewis :)

16. I’m excited for Sherm match-up with Megatron!

17. orbeavhawk says:

Wish you guys could just IGNORE the bait and stop the “pissing contest”!!!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHawks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. Ewalters7354 says:

It’s very sad when a guy like Chuck(long time commenter) had to leave this blog alone because he felt guys were trying and bully him.Very unfortunate.

19. Everyone knows short people got no reason…

(it’s a joke, breathe everyone)

Chuck saind he will be back at the end of the season. I’d be surprised if we don’t hear from him before, however.

or said…

22. sluggo42 says:

It is SO funny how the main contributors to the endless QB craps are the main complainers to seeing just a small sampling of what they have done for weeks and weeks. You know who you are –

I am done with that folly now that you guys finally get it.. maybe..

Duke – you get it.

Our present secondary is the closest thing to the “real deal” a secondary can be. Big, fast, physical. We knew we were really getting it when Harbage cried about them. I used to cringe when Kelly had the nickname of “toast”, because he got burned so often. I can’t think of too many times we have been beat this year deep, and I also smile everytime BB lays strong safety wood on thier guys, like Welker comes to mind. I love “my brutha”‘s ability to get into the other guys heads, like Brady and Smith, and actually affect their play. Megatron is definately going to be a challenge and will test the legion hard.

I also hate the way TATE acts after catching a pass, I would prefer that he acted like he has done it before. LaDainian was the master of cool in how he NEVER showboated after a great play, and he had a few more than Tate. I’m on the fence with him as this is supposed to be his year after a deeply disappointing first 2 years, but what he acts like a rook, and then blows off blocking assignments like last week, it’s bothersome to say the least. Playing some slot this week with another big on the other side of the field will be interesting. Edwards isn’t Megatron, but he is as big, and can win the jump ball, so maybe they try that a bit? But Tate usually makes the catches, so I don’t understand last weeks body of work in total. I would imagine Pete had a few discussions with him about life in general im guessing.

Play calling, game planning! I think Danny is closer to the truth then the team wants to admit, and I think game-speed adjustments is one of our team problems. I don’t know who exactly that falls on, but Bev, Cable and Pete are all on the hook there. The entire offense stagnates with the same theme game after game. What to do? Hire Radeon I guess.. At this point after the first 15 plays, I can’t say he would be much worse…

23. bird_spit says:

My take on the DET game..hawks win it through the air, but I’d be really pumped if Marshawn has an explosive run where Suh is blown up by our OL, and Marshawns run style.

Enough about the QB guys..but, I wonder if PC would replace RW in the 2nd half if he is struggling like he has on the road all year. This is one game Flynn better bring his jock strap, cause his number could be called.

24. Duke – I think this secondary would be insane/not fair if we had Sherman/Browner pressed on the outskirts and Josh Wilson patrolling the middle. His ability to cover and blitz from the slot would make us even more versatile/dominant.

“Chuck E come back”
    “You can blame it all on me”
    “I was wrong for sometimes pilling on you”

“Now that this blog is coming together”
    “Give it a chance and you will see”
    ” We all want to see you back here again”
    “Have a drink on me”
    “So have a drink on me”

“Chuck E come back”
    “Any kind of fool could see”
    “There was substance in what you had to say here”

“Chuck E come back”
    ” You can blame it all on me”
    “I was wrong for sometimes pilling on you”
    “I was wrong”
    “And I just can’t live”

Ok, that’s going a little bit too far, lol.

But you get the picture Chuck, so get your A$$ back here soon, would ya?

26. sluggo42 says:

Actually, with Thurmond coming back KD, we will be pretty much like that. I love me some Tru, don’t get me wrong, but Thurm coming back as the nickle will negate the Welkers of the world a little more effectively I think.

Bird – Are you thinking that we will unleash an air attack over the rungame? I keep wondering if one of these weeks we will go to the shotgun. Let RW start looking at routes sooner, get more screens into the mix… Still run, but not as predicably…

27. sluggo42 says:

Georgia –

I am a musician in a few half assed garage cover bands, and everytime you write one of your silly songs, I HAVE to sing the dang thing, so just know that they affect some of us adversely! HA

28. Ewalters7354 says:

Sluggo, good stuff.I agree having Thurmond back will help, as long as he stays healthy.He kinda reminds me of Marcus Tubbs, good player who couldn’t avoid injuries, and he’s out of the league.Hopefully he can get some luck and not get injured(mainly in the leg area), and he should be fine.

29. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

no offense ewalters but if you put a comment out on a social blog and people don’t agree with it you are going to get commentary contrary to how you feel. the more toxic your comments are the worse the replies will be. the proof of this is look at replies to ACIB and RADEoN among others who come on here just looking to stir things up. unfortunately guys like chuck get the brunt of what should be directed at those guys. sad he went but this a blog for very opinionated hawks fans. we need a sign above the door that says” check feelings at the door or they may get stomped on”. better yet “repetitious comments will be deleted.”

30. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

nice georgia!

31. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

“ACIB and RADEoN among others who come on here just looking to stir things up.”

I don’t come to this blog to stir things up you awful troll, I come here to talk about Seahawks football. Chuck may have left, but I personally refuse to back down from blind homers who refuse to acknowledge contrarian opinions.

32. Interesting stat (kind of) A third of the dropbacks Russell Wilson makes in a game are play action plays, which is second in the league only to RG3, he also seems to be more effective on these types of plays since he (on average) throws for 3.4 yards more when using PA.

33. Hell yeah ACIB. Is it funny to call you ACID yet? Oh it never was. Alright. I’m starting to get the feeling sluggo, bbnate, among a few others, are cardinals/niners/rams fans who are here trolling, getting everyone all riled up with their blatantly soft arguments, and just to break out in a laughing fit during the entire process.

34. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

ACIB i have never had a problem with what you say but how you say it. you post like a 13 year old with no manners. shame really you would actually be credible if you would learn how to post in a more neutral manner. up to you thou. personally i could care a less one way or the other.

35. Wait, no comments about how to hook up at a baseball game in 6 months in a town far, far away? WTF?

36. pope – you can meet us, too!

37. sluggo42 says:

C’mon rad,
    I even posted that I thought you could do a better job at OC than our current one…

Where’s the love my brutha??

38. If Johnson lines up in the slot, can we move Sherman inside or is Tru stuck on him? I think Sherman is quick enough to so sustain. Maybe have Kam over the top in case he gets loose to pop him.

39. mojjonation says:

Tru…I said the same thing about Kam on Davis last week and Davis wound up being the guy who threw the key block on the rushing play that got San Fran close to the end zone if not in the end zone. Sometimes you will get burned if you throw one guy on one guy. But honestly, Trufant would get used and abused if he covered Johnson. I’m fairly certain that when Seattle goes to nickel and dime packages, the opposing QB knows where Trufnt is and looks to exploit that matchup. Too much Trufant on Johnson spells doom for us. I like the idea of Sherman just staying with him and forcing Detroit to use someone else to beat us.

40. It is SO funny how the main contributors to the endless QB craps are the main complainers to seeing just a small sampling of what they have done for weeks and weeks.

the same can be said you of Sluggo and others!! its funny how in the the whole discussion the pot always calls the kettle black and vice versa

As good as Johnson is, they aren’t very creative how they use him. Not like how Ariz uses Fitz, as an example. I would be very surprised to see him anywhere but split end an occasional flanker. But yes, Sherm could shadow him all over the field, but that’s not Seattle’s scheme.

42. rramstad says:

There is zero chance RW is pulled during the game because of his performance and Flynn is put in. If the Seahawks want to give Flynn a shot, they’ll make the change in the bye week.

(That said, I’d be REALLY surprised if they pulled RW at any time this season, unless the Seahawks clearly fall out of contention OR RW has a couple of terrible games back to back.)

43. rramstad says:

(my post is in reference to the post from bird_spit)