Morning links: Carroll pleased with Wilson’s play

Post by Eric Williams on Oct. 24, 2012 at 7:59 am with 65 Comments »
October 24, 2012 7:59 am
Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll, right, walks with quarterback Russell Wilson after the Seahawks defeated the Green Bay Packers 14-12 in an NFL football game, Monday, Sept. 24, 2012, in Seattle. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

The focus of my story today is Seattle head coach Pete Carroll’s evaluation of quarterback Russell Wilson through seven games.

Carroll acknowledged the rookie has had his share of struggles this season, but that overall he’s pleased with Wilson’s progress so far this season.

The Seahawks have been in all seven games, and Wilson had led the Seahawks to a pair of fourth-quarter comeback wins.

But Carroll pointed out that Wilson has played poorly on the road, where he has thrown two touchdown passes and seven interceptions and has a 55.7 passer rating.

Wilson has thrown six touchdown passes and no interceptions and has a 116.9 passer rating at home.

“He’s done some pretty extraordinary things,” Carroll said. “I think he’s played within the format that we have setup for him well. He’s played particularly well at home, not as well on the road, and we noticed that the numbers are quite a bit different there.

“He’s grown, he’s corrected things, and he’s totally in control poise-wise in the games and in the situation. … I think he can do special things. There are just not very many kids that are as well prepared to take on the workload and the stress of it and the pressure and all of that, as he is. I think he’s done OK.”

Here’s a closer look at the stats for the five starting rookie quarterbacks through Week 7.

NameComp.Att.Pct.YardsTDInt.SackedW-LRating
Robert Griffin III13318970.41,60173153-4101.8
Russell Wilson10417559.41,23087144-379.5
Ryan Tannehill11819859.61,45446123-376.5
Andrew Luck13425053.61,67477163-372.3
Brandon Weeden15427256.61,783910111-672.3

ESPN’s Mike Sando provides some silver lining for the Seahawks after the team’s 13-6 loss at San Francisco. Marshawn Lynch rushing for over 100 yards for a second straight game against San Francisco and sacks by Greg Scruggs and Jason Jones are among them.

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times writes that the Seahawks need to throw the ball more. O’Neil: “Unless the Seahawks want to continue white-knuckling their way through the final nine games of the season, they’re going to have to start opening up the offense. That means putting a little more on the quarterback’s plate.”

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com discusses which Seattle players have earned a Pro Bowl nod through seven games. Fan voting has begun at NFL.com, and you can vote here. Farnsworth mentions Brandon Mebane, Richard Sherman, Marshawn Lynch, Earl Thomas and Max Unger as possible candidates.

Neil Hornsby of Pro Football Focus includes Chris Clemons Lynch, Mebane and Sherman on his NFC Pro Bowl list as we near the midpoint of the season.

The Seahawks are No. 11 in the AP Pro32, which is distributed by the Associated Press. There are some interesting – and mostly glowing – comments from some of the voters here.

Elliott Harrison of NFL.com has Seattle at No. 7 in his weekly power rankings.

Pete Prisco of CBS Sports moves the Seahawks down to No. 11 in his weekly power rankings.

KJR-AM’s Mitch Levy talks with Seattle cornerback Brandon Browner about facing Detroit receiver Calvin Johnson in this audio link.

Morning links
  1. sluggo42 says:

Well –

Here it comes…

But, it looks to me that only RGIII is playing better…

But, I know what’s coming… **sigh**

2. MEhawkfan says:

Indeed…

I’ll be skipping this entire thread. Already know how this one’s going to play out…

4. HawkfaninMT says:

I thought the same thing Sluggo. i think I will skip the comments today and check back when the next thread is posted. Good Day all, and happy bickering!

5. SandpointHawk says:

Funny, I saw this article about 1:00am and almost posted the link on the stat thread in hopes everyone would wear out by early this morning. Then I realized there was little chance of that….Have a great day everyone, I’ll see you tomorrow.

6. No QB stat comparison is complete without the most important single stat – Yards Per Attempt.

7. Danny O neil hit it on the head.
    Cant lead the league in passing with so few attempts, height of the QB or years in the league don’t matter if you don’t throw the ball.
    This offense will never lead the league in passing due to the design of Run first pass when you have to and be so stinkin obvious when passing with open backfields and on 3rd and long.
    said it before , never understood limiting a QB, if they are the starter they should get the playcalling of a starter.
    Take the Training wheels off.

8. sluggo42 says:

The oLine is built to run, less skilled in pass protection at this stage of their young careers. I honestly think they need to spend a high pick for the R Tackle spot..

Carp moving to LG is great for that side, but leaves the R side weaker, forcing Miller to stay in to block…

So many facets to a good passing team…

9. Palerydr says:

A stat I would like to see is what is our completion % on play action passes compared to straight drop backs? Also are play action passes resulting in “explosive plays” or straight drop backs? On a play action pass you have to turn your back to the line of scrimmage then turn around to pick up your WR I figure this adds a full second to the lineman in pass protection. This also calls for your WR to run precise routes which I believe ours don’t always do especially Tate. That extra second could be why RW scrambles so much when he turns around to find his WR he’s not always seeing them. With a lot of people saying throw play action I would like to see how successful that strategy really is. KLM008 could find this 1 I bet.

10. sluggo42 says:

Is everyone having problems with posts disappearing?

Another concept that I wonder about is the good old shotgun. Rogers,Brady, Romo, Manning, most of the pass happy QB’s seem to be in shotgun more often than not, where RW is up under center more often than not. He has to do a 3-5-7 step drop then start looking, or first a play action, and then start looking.

Is there an advantage to the shotgun formation to passing stats?

11. Ewalters7354 says:

I agree the receivers don’t run precise routes all the time, nor is the offensive line doing a good job.Maybe they should
    just cleanse the whole offensive roster except for RW, Marshawn Lynch, and Zach Miller.Rice stinks because he is getting paid top dollars and only catches about 3 passes s game.2 in the first series, and one in the fourth quarter when the team is playing from behind.We need to get our great young QB help.

12. CDHawkFan says:

We now know that Radon, ACIB, and RWIS is/are not Pete Carroll posting in disguise.

13. thursday says:

Interesting how those stats are largely equal, with RG3 obviously standing out a bit more. Wilson actually has one more TD and the same number of interceptions as Luck. His yards and attempts are obviously down because we seem to be a run-first team for the most part.

Re:some other comments, I do feel like our receiver core has been weak for years, not consistent, not game-changing etc. I’d like to see that fixed someday lol.

14. Ewalters7354 says:

thursday,

I agree.This FO sickens me by the way they drafted out franchise QB and fail to give him the weapons he needs to blossom.He is clearly outplaying all but one rookie.Even though all those other rookies have way better teams than the hawks.

Getting some love from the national media of late. I agree that if win in Detroit we would be positioned well for the second half of the season.
    Big game!

16. Which one of those QB’s was starting for a team that had a realistic shot at the playoffs? Then line that QB up with the other teams who had realistic playoff expectations and compare the stats.

17. QB’s of those teams

18. Those other rookies have better teams?

19. Ewalters7354 says:

Tru,I’m just tired of getting told that all the problems are on every hawk not named Russell Wilson.We have a poor offensive game and it immediately goes on the o-line and play calling.I heard it said that RW is playing upper echelon football So he’s nowhere near the problem.So I may as well blame every other position on offense smh

20. Should of saw the sarcasim, my bad.

21. I’d like to see on that chart other QB’s getting their first year starting not just the rookies.

22. I like when Pete says that he is so well equipped to handle everything, workload, stress, and that he’s special, but then doesn’t open the playbook up on game day. Makes perfect sense to me.

23. montanamike2 says:

I saw it. Ewalters7354 sorry to get back to you so late, the boilermaker controls they sent me were wrong so i was so cold this morning i went to the place that Georgia does not like me talking about lol. The truth is i have no clue if height were a problem or not.
    I’m exactly the same height and i seem a lot taller than most people i know, but that might be because i have really broad shoulders so it may be because of that. I have never played football so my basis is only that because he did so well in college behind a super tall line.
    I openly admit that i could be wrong but i just don’t know, i certainly don’t know as much about the sport than Duke so it seems like a valid argument, he does seem to be getting better week to week and the call was made by Pete so we’ll see.

24. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

Preach EWalters!!!

At the San Fran game, in the second half, most, if not all, of Wilson’s pass attempts came on play action calls. The problem with that is, as soon as Wilson would fake handing the ball off there was a defender in the backfield harassing him. As a result, Wilson never had a chance to feel comfortable in the pocket, survey the field, and make good throws. So I blame Bevell and his play calling, and the offensive line’s poor pass protection skills, as well as the receiver drops, as much as I do Wilson for that loss.

In the Carolina game, Wilson proved that he’s a competent pocket passer. I don’t know why Bevell got away from that so much with his play calling in the San Fran game. Hopefully, Bevell gets back to letting Wilson take 3, and 5, step drops in the Detroit game. Moreover, I hope that Cable plans to use a TE, or something, to help against Suh, because Suh is a dirty player who I know would love to end Wilson’s season.

25. I wonder if the Colts look at those stats and think Wilson is better? Maybe we could get them to make a 1-for-1 trade with us?

I’m kidding (I know they wouldn’t do that).

All I’m going to say on this post (and then ignore everything else… lol) is that I like Russell Wilson and I really am excited about his future. It’s just the present that is a bit depressing when I know our team is so, mostly, good.

26. “…because Suh is a dirty player who I know would love to end Wilson’s season.”

I dunno… he probably remembers what Flynn did to him in week 17 last year… unless he wants revenge?

Peace out!

27. RW’s pluses and minuses are rightfully debated – but I think even the detractors have to admit, he does appear to be a coolheaded, poised player at all times out there. Evidenced most by his 4th quarter play.

It’s also a bit eye-opening, given the steady torrent of criticism from a few fans on here, to note that his numbers/rating are right there with all the other rookie QB’s (all first round picks) not named Griffin.

28. Three road losses by an average of 5.6 pts. Find a way to get in the end zone RW, even if it means making your receivers better, and this discussion is over.

29. chrisj122 says:

I get the impression that most of you on this thread are a bit paranoid about the QB topic.

I’m sure everyone will only post positive and happy comments.

Lol…..

30. Ewalters7354 says:

If someone can give me actual facts including Pete Carroll, that Russell Wilson is getting better each week, I promise I’ll stop posting for the whole month of October.

How in the world is he getting better? Having a poor games against every team but the Cowboys? He may have had 3tds on the Pats, but he was only good for 1 1/2 quarters.The hawks are near the bottom of the league on 3rd down and the red zone.

I gues that all falls on the WRs, o-line and Bevell.And Pete is a genius for going with the gut.

The hawks are in perfect position to make the playoffs!

31. Just run the ball with Lynch against Detroit. They have no running game so they’ll be thowing it all day, hopefully our secondary with come up with some big plays. I figure if we can get 1 TD, we can win this game, but it will still probably come down to the last drive, except the Lions will have the ball, we’ll be up something like 10 to 3 and our D will make the stop and the game will be over. I’ll take it.

32. Don’t get me started on the 3rd downs dude, fu…k

33. Ewalters7354 says:

If the Seahawks are to win in Detroit they have to do much better than what their average start of possession was , ( their 15 yard line ) against the 49ers. Imo.

35. sluggo42 says:

Ewalt –

Lats say for a moment that you are 100% correct. RW sucks….

But if Pete is going to play him regardless, what is the point of your endless negative RW posts. It’s not going to improve or change.

Why beat the dead horse? Why preach to the choir? Why the endless ranting about something that you/we cannot control?

Everyone in here agrees that he isn’t perfect by any means, that he is young and immature, doesn’t read perfectly, doesn’t hit every WR perfectly in stride, might not be able to see over the Oline, might have got an unfair promotion over Flynn, all of those things. I don’t think anyone thinks the guy walks on water…

But since he IS the starting QB, like it or not, that’s what we get to deal with. Looking for reasons to help him succeed isn’t taking the stance that he is the chosen one, but rather that he has been chosen.

Endlessly pointing out his faults doesn’t do anything to help the team, or help to promote anything positive. It’s an endless stream of negativity that nobody, including those who perpetually spew it, can do anything about.

It is what it is.

We know he isn’t perfect, but neither is anything else on the offense, well except for the Beast, but hey!, C’mon now!

Every component bears a degree of responsibility, and is equally open for examination. RW, WR’s, OLine, Scheme, Playcalling, and so on.

To blame RW alone is wrong, and an ignorant stance. RW is not perfect, but to circle EVERY arguement back to him being the only reason is myopic thinking at best…

36. Ewalters7354 says:

I’m starting to see why chuck got disgruntled.Smh…Sluggo you always say we repeat the same things, ok but every time myself, RAD, ACIB, Trublu and others say those things, you ALWAYS want to chastise us.So are you telling me that’s not beating a dead horse? Clearly you words don’t change anything so why do you constantly try? Until Eric himself tells me I’m crossing the line, I will continue to rant.If you don’t like it you are not forced to read my post.

37. trout_hound says:

Not sure if this has come up, but this is a great read on the physics of how Marshawn pancaked Goldson: http://www.fieldgulls.com/2012/10/23/3537168/seahawks-marshawn-lynch-49ers-dashon-goldson

I also just checked out Tim Hasselbeck and Robbie Tobeck discussing Wilson’s height from the pre-season, interesting take, especially from Tobeck.

The Lions will be a tough game, we definitely need the win. We’ll find out what they are made of. GO HAWKS!

38. sluggo42 says:

Dude!, You quit posting the same RW rant, I, along with many others, will stop posting the “quit beating the dead horse”! What happens first? What causes the reply? Geez, it’s like talking to a brick wall…

fair enough??

“If someone can give me actual facts including Pete Carroll, that Russell Wilson is getting better each week, I promise I’ll stop posting for the whole month of October”

No one can give you actual facts that any qb gets better each week. That’s not how it works, all qbs will have ups and downs in a 7 week stretch. Especially rookies.
    In Erics article today he said that Carroll acknowleded that Wilson was not playing well on the road and that was something he needed to work on moving forward.

Eric also said that those fans that are calling for a QB change better not hold their breath.

40. rramstad says:

Yeah, I’m with PP, and have said it before. Rants about RW accomplish precisely nothing. He’s the starter, he’ll be the starter for a while, at least, and I am certain no one at VMAC in a position of power is reading the comments section of the blog.

41. sluggo42 says:

And, you are absolutely correct, you have the right to post anything you want, and for the record, I support that right.

Just as it is my right to reply to your broken record. But if you listened to a radio station that played only one song, you would probably get tired of listening to that song…

42. montanamike2 says:

That last post was a good summary Sluggo.

43. Ewalters7354 says:

Georgia, I’m not holding my breath bro.If I get put off this blog for posting my opinion, oh well(no disrespect Eric).If I had a reason not to rant I wouldn’t.Check out my post over the years.I am not a person who rants and rants.You guys can say whatever you want.But I will continue to post how I feel.

44. sluggo42 says:

thanks Mike, but a waste of time…

45. mojjonation says:

The two guys who are throwing the most, and probably being asked to do the most, are the two guys on the bottom of the list. Granted it isn’t by much, but they are on the bottom. At least from a QBR stabdpoint.

RG3…8.5 YPA, 12.0 YPC, 3RD IN YARDS, 1ST IN QBR, TEAM IS 3-4
    RW….7.0 YPA, 11.8 YPC, 5TH IN YARDS, 2ND IN QBR, TEAM IS 4-3
    RT….7.3 YPA, 12.3 YPC, 4th IN YARDS, 3RD IN QBR, TEAM IS 3-3
    AL….6.7 YPA, 12.5 YPC, 2ND IN YARDS, 4TH IN QBR, TEAM IS 3-3
    BW….6.6 YPA, 11.6 YPC, 1ST IN YARDS, 5TH IN QBR, TEAM IS 1-6

This doesn’t say much other than RG3 has an insanely high completion percentage with the third most attempts and third most completions. The two bottom guys are being leaned on the most to move their teams since they have the most attempts, but the two lowest completion percentages. Luck has just as many completions as RG3, but has thorwn the ball another 60 times. Weeden has the most completions and the most yards, but he has thrown significantly more than everyone but Luck.

The guy who drops back the most, has the most yards, most attempts, most completions, most TD’s, most INT’s, the second lowest completion percentage, the worst record, but has been sacked the least. Don’t forgethe is also the oldest. Go figure.

I’d trade Wilson for RG3, and that’s it. And it’s not because he looks like a black Brendan Fraser from Airheads. The other four teams can keep their guys.

46. sluggo42 says:

ERIC –

It is obvious that many posters are totally sick of the posts I make, and I would like for them to have the ability to be able to “ignore” me. I really don’t know much about how blogs are constructed, but I do know the the “ignore” function is old technology.

Do you see that as a viable option for this blog ever??

thanks,
    broken record sluggo

47. Sluggo42: I’m not a tech guy, but I’ll look into it.

48. HeinieHunter says:

The old adage that “every guy knows two things; how to work a grill and how to coach football” seems to apply to this blog! This years Seahawks draft, which was ridiculed on ESPN and this blog, is looking pretty damn good at this point, and yet PC seems to be considered a goofy, touchy-feelie, moron by some on this blog.
    I’m no expert on football but I know that. Some of you act like your a potential OC. Give me a break.

49. ^ like ^^^^

50. chrisj122 says:

I guess the paranoia was justified.

51. mojjonation says:

This has to be a Seahawks thing. They have never actually drafted a QB who was worth anything. Look it up. Zorn, FA from Dallas. Kreig, undrafted FA. Kitna, World League guy. MH, took him from Green Bay. Waren Moon, late in his career after being at Houston. I think you can safely say that Seattle has had more success at taking long snappers than drafting QB’s. RW has to small of a sample set to have any decisions made yet.

52. chrisj122 says:

HeinieHunter – My grilling skills are second to none!

53. grizindabox24 says:

No Dougy Fresh for a couple weeks.

54. tacomahawk73 says:

I don’t know that an “ignore” button is necessary in a football blog. Facebook pages, sure, but not here. If people don’t want to read posts from other posters, guess what…scroll 2″ and go to the next one. You might need blog rehab if you pour over every post and can’t handle your emotional response to it.

Can’t let this one go: Their draft was not ridiculed here. Certainly not as a majority or overall view. Some selections were questioned or criticized, but as a generalization, it simply was not ridiculed by this blog.

56. “RW is not a great quarterback. Maybe he will never become a great quarterback. But PCJS both love the guy, that is clear, and I’m willing to trust their judgement based on all the players they have brought in since they started turning the roster on their arrival.”

Right – I’ve tried to make that point too. These are the same guys that trade for Lynch, brought in Browner, drafted Earl, Sherman, Kam, KJ, Wagner, and all the other guys that have turned this team completely around in almost every way. If we’re going to give them credit for player evaluation (which we have to if we’re being logical, right?), then I’m good with giving them more slack on this decision too. Especially since we are not sitting at 0-7. I still think we’re in good hands with PC/JS. As I keep trying to say, we are very much a team on the rise in this league, and I’m more focused on what we are actually accomplishing right now, than by what we could theoretically accomplish with Flynn.

57. @ tacomahawk73 Thank you for summing it up perfectly. Everyone has the built in ability to censor most things they don’t like. In this case, look at the name, assume they are going to say something you don’t agree with and blow past the post.

I don’t like talent shows on TV. I could complain, write letters, etc but why get worked up when it’s much easier to switch the channel or do something else when those shows are on TV.

58. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

what pdway said

59. MoSeahawk12 says:

sluggo42, they can ignore anything from anyone today, just as I have found I have much higher brain function if I skip the endless RW is too short, too this, too that. How can he even see the buttons on the vending machine if he wants to buy a snack drivel. You have asked several times as many of us have to get into other topics.

Football is a team sport, 11 guys have to do their job for so that the team has success. Also the team record is 4 and 3 which is one game out of first with the bulk of our second have schedule at home. The team, along with RW has performed far better at home, but yet hasn’t been dominated on the road like in years past.

You could pretty much count on the past teams to show up to a 10am road game and sleep walk for most of it. Often just getting blown out and embarrassed. That hasn’t happened this year and after watching the first 7 games, I don’t think we’ll see it this year.

What many here always avoid so that they can just fill the cat litter box, is the play of the entire team. Missed blocks, dropped passes, penalties, drive killing 3rd and 1 unnecessary passes after the team had just marched down the field with a series of runs that were getting 5-6 yards a pop and the other team’s defense unable to stop. Sometimes I think Bevel and or Carroll try and get too cute and out smart themselves letting the other team off the hook in critical situations. Yes there have been some poor passes and some missed plays on both sides of the ball. Those are rarely mentioned from that camp. Yes our D is great, but not the best. They have kept the scoring low, which is way more important than yards. Being #1 in least yards allowed sounds cool, but I’d rather be ranked in the top two in points allowed.

Earl Thomas, my favorite Seahawk, drops two interceptions against the Patriots, one on the goal line that he would have run back about 99 yards for the score changes that game. He has great hands and normally makes that type of play. He doesn’t and a few plays later, Brady throw a TD, cause he’s Brady.

Nothing anyone here says will change the argument. These guys want to complain and act like they know more than this coaching staff that has done nothing but rebuild this team from scratch in a very short time. We’re on year three after suffering a serious drought of talent from the previous front office. This team has a better record than a lot of teams with “elite” QB’s. And no RW is not elite, not even a consideration and shouldn’t even be discussed. Rookie QB playing in the system and design the coaching staff have created. Carroll himself said he would run the same exact style of offense if Flynn was starting. Yes, we all know Flynn would make every throw and score every time in the red zone and would not have any dropped passes or interceptions. The dude is good, but has now started 5 games less the RW.

The preseason hype machine said that Dallas, Philly, Saints, Packers, Panthers, Bears, 49ers, Falcons were all going to be the teams to beat this year. Well, the media got the Falcons right and the Packers look like they are righting their ship to resemble the team they were last year. The 9ers are tough but very beatable and will not have the same success in December. Bears look great one week and then fall back. This Seahawks team is going to be in EVERY game this year, already has.

Carroll has provin a winner and the front office is hitting more homeruns on players than any other in team history. I’ve said before, enjoy the team and fight with them till the end. Constant bitching won’t change one thing. They play 16 games and have an opportunity to win plenty more. So hang in there sluggo42. Do what you do.

60. Did you guys miss what grizindabox said?
    DB out for 2 weeks with a high ankle sprain.

61. MoSeahawk12 says:

Yep, that’s bad news but Carroll said they will work in Charlie Martin and even consider using Tate in the slot. I think that would be better than keeping Tate outside. Move Tate to the slot, have Rice and Edwards outside and rotate Martin in. That lineup would give us three of our top four on the field at any given time. I wish they would have activated Martin last week as he could’ve been a really solid target for Wilson in the second half when Baldwin went out. The team had zero performance from the slot last game. Maybe they give Butler a call. He’s also shown that he can perform in that role.

62. MoSeahawk12 says:

Here’s a few comments from Lions coach Schwartz on what he’s seen from Russell Wilson

The biggest thing is win-loss record. He’s gotten four wins. Even their losses have been close. He’s hung in there and made plays, particularly at the end of the game to give them wins. That’s a sign of a good quarterback. He’s very mobile. He makes a lot of plays with his feet, can extend plays. He’s not the tallest guy, neither was Fran Tarkenton, neither was Doug Flutie. There’s some similarities to those guys. He’s got a great arm like those guys had, particularly Flutie. He does a good job of throwing on the move. He’s one of the best over the top throwers we faced. He’s got a really live arm and does a good job of throwing down the field.

63. kinger12 says:

So the Hawks are pretty poor on 3rd and long.
    That is true for both the O and the D.
    I really wish that both the Beaver and Bradley could work out why that is and stop making it a worse hames than that. How many times do we not convert 3rd and long into a 1st down. Or alternatively why do put our opponents into a 3rd and 12 and let them convert – its like we go into Ray Rhodes prevent defence after doing all the good work to get to 3rd and long. WE would nearly better off letting them get to 3rd and 1 we have a better chance of stopping them.
    Finally this is a rookie QB with a basically a very young O-Line, and mainly youngish receivers outside of Rice and Edwards – we are winning we have a 4-3 record. We get to the half way with a 5-3 record with a load of home games in the second half of the season we make the playoffs.
    WE just need to find a way to stop the beaver being a beaver.