Morning links: More praise for Wilson

Post by Eric Williams on Oct. 16, 2012 at 9:28 am with 51 Comments »
October 16, 2012 10:38 am
Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson (3) and teammates waiting to enter the field to play an NFL football game against the Carolina Panthers, in Charlotte, N.C. (AP Photo/Richmond Times-Dispatch, Mark Gormus)

Peter King of Sports Illustrated says that Wilson is showing improvement each week. King: “When Seattle GM John Schneider picked Wilson 75th overall, he was privately chided by his peers for picking Wilson too high. He’s too small (5-foot-11), football people said; he won’t be able to take the punishment of the pro game, and his arm’s just okay. It’s only six games, of course, and anything can happen, and he’s had a couple of games of shaky decision-making. But that throw to Rice, 57 yards in the air and exactly on target, with a game against the three-time Super Bowl champions on the line, shows why Schneider made a great draft pick.”

Jerry Brewer of the Seattle Times writes that there’s no more quarterback controversy with the Seahawks – Wilson has earned the starting for the foreseeable future. Brewer: “What did 293 passing yards, three touchdowns and a 13-point comeback in the last seven minutes and 21 seconds do for Wilson? It should close the door on the weekly conversation about whether he’s the right starting quarterback for the Seahawks.

“ Don’t lock the door and throw the keys into the Puget Sound just yet. Just close it. Get rid of the draft. When you examine Wilson’s performance over the past two weeks, his remarkable progress shows he is rewarding the Seahawks for their patience. He’s no longer the befuddled young quarterback that he was in the first four games. He’s graduating from game manager to game influencer. He has thrown for 514 yards the past two games. He threw for only 594 in his first four.”

Michael Phillips of the Richmond Times-Dispatch writes an in-depth profile on Russell Wilson and his journey to the NFL.

In my story today, Russell Wilson’s scrambling ability helped Seattle create more explosive plays on Sunday. “It was definitely an emphasis coming into the week,” said Seattle receiver Sidney Rice, who caught the winning touchdown on a 46-yard pass play. “We wanted to work on our scrambling drills. Those are huge opportunities. And we hit a couple of big ones.”

ESPN’s Mike Sando focuses on Wilson’s ability to strike deep down the field.

Tom Brady avoided a war of words with Richard Sherman. You can check out the full transcript here. Brady: “He’s a very good player and I have a lot of respect for that defense and certainly that secondary. They play very well together. My dad taught me at a young age to play with class and respect and give my opponents respect, and certainly I have a lot of respect for the Seahawks.”

On if he feels Sherman is giving him the respect he deserves:

“My dad also told me to worry about the things that I can control and certainly not worry about the things that I can’t. And I really don’t have feelings either way toward what someone may say or think. Really, what’s important is how I feel. We went out and we played a very good team on the road and had an opportunity to win there in the fourth quarter and just didn’t take advantage of it.”

Russell Wilson appeared on the NFL Network to talk about his team’s win over New England in this video link.

Robert Mays of Grantland pays respect to Seattle’s defense. Mays: “Seattle’s win over Green Bay will always be remembered for how it ended, but Golden Tate and the replacement referees had nothing to do with the Seahawks only giving up 12 points. Coming into yesterday’s game, they were the league’s no. 1 unit in terms of total yardage, and the 23 points scored by New England is the most given up by Seattle all season. With its 4-0 start, Arizona was the NFC West defense that garnered all the praise early on, but it’s the Seahawks who might rival even the 49ers on that side of the ball. Seattle’s defense looks like something from the future.”

Cold Hard Football Facts states the obvious – Wilson abused New England’s weak secondary.

And the Mike Holmgren appears to be headed out of Cleveland with the sale of the Browns final, according to this ESPN report.

Morning links
  1. seaturkeys says:

I used to like Tom Brady and Aaron Rogers. :(

2. sluggo42 says:

Nuf said, put it to bed. Let’s talk about more important things, like how we are going to dismantle the 49ers… :o)

3. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

The 49rs worry me. I went to their official website and it seems, although I could be mistaken, that they didn’t take yesterday off; but instead spent the day preparing for Thursday. Moreover, motivational wise, I think that losing big Sunday plays more in their favor than winning against N.E. plays against ours. All I know is that we can’t afford to lose another divisional game.

Scheme wise, I think that they’ll try to rattle Wilson just like Arizona did. Moreover, protection wise, I think that we always have a bigger problems against 3-4 defenses and San Frans is one of the best. I just hope that Cable stresses pass protection, and blitz pick-up, ad nauseam.

Lastly, I didn’t see what the Giants did against the 49rs Sunday. I know they locked up Vernon Davis well though. I think if we take him out the game too we’ll have a good chance of limiting their offense. I think this is going to be a low scoring defensive game, which may, or may not, play in our favor.

4. That photo at the top is RW getting ready to play the Panthers not the Pats. We wore Blue/grey in Carolina. Blue/blue at home.

5. chuck_easton says:

I know this is only going to stir up more heated debate, but I can’t help but look at that picture and have one obvious observation.

Golden Tate is listed as 5′ 10″ on the official roster. Russell Wilson is listed as 5′ 11″ on the official team roster.

Now, I know he’s standing a little behind Golden, but…

Feel free to discuss amongst yourselves.

6. FleaFlicker says:

I know this is a Seahawks blog, but Monday Night Football. Wow.

Awesome links as well this morning from Sando. Check out the dominance of NFC West…we’ve got the #2, #3, #4, #5 defenses in the league when it comes to points scored. Thursday night is going to be hard. Getting to 20 points will be a heck of a performance.

And there are only two teams in the entire AFC with a wining record. How crazy is that?

But back to the Seahawks. We’re 4-2. Best we could have reasonably hoped for. If we end up 5-1, there’s nobody, not even the biggest homers, that could have expected that outcome. If we end up 4-3, yes it’s a huge hole in terms of Division record, but not the end of the world. It’s a long season. Keep the faith and believe in this TEAM.

7. sluggo42 says:

I don’t think the Irvin had much impact against the Pats due to their quick passing game. I don’t see Alex having the vision or the quick reads that Brady has, so I see Irvin having a bit more of an impact this game. But I also see the 9ers trying to run more on us…early on anyways. I think that Wagner/KJ/Kambam play a bigger role this week, in filling gaps to stop their run game. I really think they are going to try to test us there, before finally figuring out that they can’t. Hopefully by that time, they will be in a 14-0 hole and start playing catch-up pass game, where Irvin will get more involved. The Brady game will not work for them, cuz Alex is no Brady, even tho he thinks he is…

8. FleaFlicker says:

I meant 5-2

9. sluggo42 says:

So what exactly is your point Chuck? That he is short? We already know that…

10. 220-221 whatever it takes!

11. LouieLouie says:

The 49ers are going to be tough. Both teams have a short week, but they are mad as hell after being humiliated by the Giants, and the game is in their house.

The Hawks may need Sherman’s moxie to win this one. Go Hawks!

Is it possible for a team to have 4 or five steals of the draft in one year?

Wilson
    Wagner
    Irvin
    Turbin
    Sweezy

Perhaps more to come?

13. Tom Brady calling the Seahawks a “very good team.” Back in 2009, during the Mora mess, who thought things could be turned around in three years?

If we could get more pass rush from the front 7 and more INTs from the secondary, this could be a Super Bowl team. (Assuming Wilson keeps improving.)

14. chuck_easton says:

sluggo,

Just that. He’s short. But as ‘short’ as he his he’s still two inches taller than me.

I trust the Combine measurements more than anything a team puts out as they always round up on the height and down on the weight. The combine put Wilson at 5′ 10 5/8″. That is still the shortest QB in the NFL and one of the shortest in history.

Alot for the kid to overcome, but I give him a good chance.

I just threw it out there sluggo. You want to make an issue of it. :)

I hope the Seahawks are mad as hell in this game Thursday. All they have to do is watch the replays of their two games with the 49ers last year.
    The 49ers can be beat, especially if we win the turnover battle.

It’s time for Thomas to pick six! He’s been so close of late.

Chuck, what’s Wilsons greatest asset?

A- His work ethic.

B- His big hands.

C- His dad was a Lawyer.

D- His wife.

Lol.

17. mojjonation says:

If possible, put Kam on Davis for the game and run single safety. If he has trouble, bracket Davis with whatever LB is on that side of the field while the other two kind of share the wealth so to say. Yes it may leave us vulnerable to stuff in the flat if they play straight up, or up the middle if the two remaining LB’s play wide, but it may be worth a try. The corners can handle whatever pair of WR’s San Fran puts on the field. Smith seems like a good game manager, but I don’t think he has the ability to consistently be the man if they are forced to be one dimensional. If they take away Beast and Hulk Mode, and our WR separation is good enough, Wilson may see some more good looks the way he did against NE. Lots of ifs, but this is a totally winnable game. Even if Harbaugh is foaming at the mouth because he hates PC, hates the league, just really hates everybody, we might be able to catch these guys either overly mad and playing like nutjobs. Or down far enough to grind them into a pulp. I’m going with what’s behind door number one.

Another division loss, as bad as it may seem, is not the end of the world. If each NFC West team holds serve at home, it turns everyone into .500 division guys. Then the numbers go outside. Seattle already has three wins against NFC playoff caliber teams, holding the tie breaker over them. With those three wins, they also have three conference wins. San Fran and Arizona are looking up at both of those. I’m sold on the thought that all three NFC West teams will lose the minute they take off to come here. It is going to take a strong effort by either San Fran or Arizona to get a road division win. St. Louis, while kind of a Jekyl and Hyde team, is still tough at home.

Again, lots of ifs but totally doable.

18. chuck_easton says:

Georgia,

Of course it is that his dad is a lawyer! I thought that would be obvious. :)

It’s his intellegence and his work ethic. If anybody can overcome being vertically challenged at QB in the NFL it will be Russell.

I look at my other pipsqueek QB idol Doug ‘the Smurf’ Flutie. All 5′ 9 3/4″ (one inch shorter than Wilson) of him was told he’d never make it in the NFL. What they didn’t measure on Doug was his heart, his intelligence, and his passion to be the best. (that should sound familiar).

19. mojjonation says:

Totally off topic…..

Flynn’s girlfriend is friggin’ hot.

Wilson’s wife is friggin’ hot.

We have the hottest combination of starting QB and backup QB leading ladies in the NFL.

20. thursday says:

I watched the Giants game and what they did was completely stuff the run and then hassle Alex Smith into making mistakes. I think that we can do that too. Hopefully the defense can bring some of their home energy with them and do that. Manning only threw one TD, the other one was rushing and the rest were field goals. I don’t want to get ahead here, but I think we can do that too lol.

I swear I’ll stop doubting the D if they can pull this one out. ;p

21. WiscCory says:

Looking at that photo…if Golden Tate is 5′ 10”, then RW is 5′ 8″.

22. HawkfaninMT says:

Anyone hear if Staley is going to play? Him being out shuffles their line a ton. RG goes to LT, LG goes to RG, Leonard Davis becomes their LG… Could make for some chemistry issues and chances fr pressure

23. FleaFlicker says:

HawkfaninMT, let’s hope it happens. Need all the help we can get. Frank Gore has absolutely stung us in the past. Have to shut him down.

24. PugetHawk says:

It seems like the Niner’s are either lights out or terrible. Their losses to the Vikings and Giants were not real competitive. Their wins have been pretty dominate so I am curious who we will get Thursday.

Who does the short week hurt more? They are an older team than the Hawks but they are also at home so its a tough question.

Side note mojjo… Matt Flynn’s girlfriend is ridiculously hot. She won Ms. Louisiana. Flynn has a bunch of money, her, and a pretty stress free job. Good for him.

25. gonefishin69690 says:

@Georgia – D

26. chuck_easton says:

Puget,

A short week always favours the home team. This Thursday is not going to be a walk in the park by any means.

Wilson needs to show that this weekend was a hint of what is to come and not a fluke. Wilson also needs to show that the Rams game was the fluke.

The receivers all need to remember that they do indeed know how to run their routes and that they need to give Wilson a reason to trust that they will be open.

The 0-line must continue what they’ve shown the last few weeks and not that turnstyle blocking technique they tried in Arizona.

So, to make a long answer short. Pretty much everything needs to break Seattle’s way on Thursday or SF wins. I know, every party needs a pooper so I was invited to the blog.

27. Seahawks will win by at least 10 this thursday.

Just post this in the locker room.

28. “Seattle has to show that the defense they took to Carolina is their actual road team and the D they took to both the Rams and Arizona games were just fill in guys because the regulars couldn’t go.”

What did our D do wrong against the Rams?

Of the 19 pts the Rams scored, 7 came by fake field goal, and 6 came on FG’s of 60 and 58 yds. Rams got 2.8 ypc on the ground. I can live with all of that . . .

29. hawkfan777 says:

I believe the start of this game is critical. If the 49ers get off to a good start it will build confidence. If the Hawks get off to a good start the 49ers may start to believe that the week before was not a fluke. The Hawks need to start strong. I hope Pete isn’t too conservative with the play calling. I hate it when they wait until the 4th quarter to start playing.

30. Carlsonkid says:

Need to get Beast back on track Thursday night . A solid running game will open the rest of it up and eat clock . With the way Smith is playing lately , we should get some turnovers , and it’s about time for one of those patented Leon Washington returns for a TD .

31. “Seattle has to show that the defense they took to Carolina is their actual road team and the D they took to both the Rams and Arizona games were just fill in guys because the regulars couldn’t go.” – chuck_easton

So, the Seattle D, on the road held both the Rams and the Cards under 100 yards rushing. They held both starting QB’s of those teams to QB ratings well below even 80, yet somehow they played like “fill in guys”? Sorry, not seeing it.

32. jchawks08 says:

Staring 0-3 for the Division in the face is what scares me most. I think the ‘Hawks will be up for this game. I see no reason why we can’t continue to stuff the run. Frank Gore is either feast or famine, though most feast against us. But this is a different defense. As long as we can contain Gore, that will open up the pass-rush. And as someone above mentioned, Alex Smith ‘aint no Tom Brady. We will get hands on him. Now if we can get Lynch back on track, I’ll be a happy camper. His 5.2 FF pts this week didn’t burn me, but I can’t afford any more of those. :D

33. chuck_easton says:

The D in the Rams and Arizona games couldn’t get off the field on 3rd and long. That appears to be fixed. They did stop the scoring and the run game, but let’s be honest. 3rd and anything over 5 yards was a ‘gimme’ for the offense in both the Rams and Cardinals games.

34. Honestly, the only real inconsistencies with this team have been in the passing game. It’s killed drive after killed drive we’re talking about here, and the defense spending way too much time on the field. All things considered, the defense has been stellar, or close to in pretty much every single game. Points allowed is a bigger deal than stopping 3rd down conversions. I’m sorry, but it just is.

35. chuck_easton says:

And I agree.

At the end of the day it’s the points on the board. I loved that Seattle is one of the few teams that has been able to hold NE to a three and out this entire season. That was why PC felt comfortable punting the ball away on 4th down with 4 minutes to go. He had faith his D would get the ball back quickly. It wasn’t so much about stopping the score.

In the two losses the D couldn’t get off the field. They held the Rams to 5 long field goals, but they were still on the field way too long.

So not allowing the score isn’t always the only job of the D. In a game like we saw this weekend the team was counting on the D to get the ball back quickly.

36. PugetHawk says:

I think the defense is better suited to stop the Niner’s offense than they are the Pats. I don’t see Gore getting more than 60-70yds.

I like the Hawks chances even with the short week. Final score 13-6
    Hawks.

37. Comparing the 49ers and Seahawks is really a better topic of conversation than arguing about Russell Wilson, don’t ya’ll think?

I happen to think our defense might have more talent, top-to-bottom than the 49ers have. What we lack is experience. And, honestly, its likely that some team is going to expose some of our players and run up the score on us at some point this season. Not because we are bad, but because we are young, and one or two key injuries could be devastating.

Top-to-bottom, the Niners are more experienced and will likely be more consistent over 16 games than we can be this year. But both their defense and offense have some deficiencies in talent, as the NYG game showed. And man, I love that they exposed some of those weaknesses four days before we play the Niners!

The Giants limited Vernon Davis and Frank Gore, and what did the Niners have at that point? They had Alex Smith looking like the OLD Alex Smith. And that’s not a good thing.

And this week they are putting Alex Boone at LT? We’ll see how Chris Clemons enjoys that matchup on Thursday. Leonard Davis at RG? Baner, MacDonald, and Branch should all enjoy that matchup.

#1 We devastate their running game, and our D line and LBs can do this, absolutely. #2 We mess with Davis and keep him from collecting all those passes that Gronk and Hernandez pulled in last Sunday. #3 We should their defense we aren’t the least bit afraid to run our offense they way we want, with balance, relentless toughness inside, and deadly strikes downfield.

Go Seahawks!

38. As for the “More Praise for Wilson” theme… I’m not going to bite. I like the take that Claire Farnsworth has on this over at seahawks.com

“Wilson continues to ignore the noise”

– Exactly.

39. FleaFlicker says:

jchawks08 & GeorgiaHawk: Enough already! You guys are going to start a QB wife controversy!

40. I tend to agree with Stevos. Alex Smith is a true game manager among QB’s. You put him in a position where it’s really on him, and he wilts, especially if you can get to him with just about any kind of pressure. Aside from a minor addition here and there, that S.F. offense is as vanilla as it’s ever been. Beyond Gore and Davis, what is there to worry about? Randy Moss? Please.

Now the S.F. D is the worrisome part; particularly that front seven. I guess we’ll see if what the Giants did may have exposed something about S.F., like is being talked about on ESPN. I anticipate a brutally physical game, regardless.

41. rramstad says:

LOL bring on the QB wife controversy, that’s something I could get behind…

Lol,
    FleaFlicker,and rramstad.

43. SaigonSun says:

The Giants went to Carolina and trashed the Panters. Then we came and won.
    The Giants went to SF and trashed the niners. We’re coming to do the same.
    Pretty scientific, ain’t it?

44. THere is no controversy. Flynns woman wins hands down.

45. sluggo42 says:

Thats the kinda science rocket surgery I believe in!

46. jchawks08 says:

But I hear that Wilson’s wife, though shorter than the average WAG, has the brains and is a natural leader and……..Ok that’s just silly.

47. ChrisHolmes says:

How nice is it to have a young QB who can actually bring you back to win in the 4th quarter?

48. ChrisHolmes says:

“Wilson completed 12 of 20 passes for 206 yards with two TDs from inside the pocket, according to ESPN Stats & Information.” -Sando

All I have to say is: “Wow”. Now those are some numbers I like seeing. Inside the pocket…

49. For all those that keep saying Wilson is short…point them to this stat:

Question: What is the Average Height for an Adult Male?
    Answer: According to the National Center for Health Statistics, the average height for an adult male in the United States is:
    •69.2 inches, or
    •5 feet 9.2 inches

I’m pretty sure that makes him above average…even tall. :)