Morning links: Miller more involved in passing game

Post by Eric Williams on Oct. 12, 2012 at 7:41 am with 23 Comments »
October 12, 2012 7:41 am
Seattle Seahawks' Zach Miller (86) runs after a catch as Carolina Panthers' Sherrod Martin (23) defends during the first quarter of an NFL football game in Charlotte, N.C., Sunday, Oct. 7, 2012. (AP Photo/Chuck Burton)

In my story today, Seattle tight end Zach Miller is finally being used more in the Seahawks passing game this season. Miller is second on the team with 12 catches for 150 yards through five games.

He finished with a career-low 25 catches in 2011 – his first in Seattle –after averaging 57 catches a season his first four years in the league with Oakland.

“Some of it is getting out in the pass game more,” Miller said of his re-emergence. “Some of it is just kind of developing a relationship with Russell and him finding me. And we have another year in the offense, so that’s helped as well, too.”

Former NFL linebacker Dave Wyman of ESPN 710 Seattle writes that the Seahawks defense will face another tough test with Tom Brady coming to town. Wyman: “A lot of questions will be answered on Sunday. But remember this, Seahawks fans: even the 2000 Ravens defense hit a few road blocks. That season, that defense that led Baltimore and its 16th-ranked offense to a Super Bowl title gave up 421 yards to the Jaguars and 524 yards to the Jets. If Brady does get loose on this defense, I promise you the sky won’t fall.”

Dave Boling of The News Tribune, Jerry Brewer of The Seattle Times and KJR’s Hugh Miller and Mitch Levy discuss Seattle’s upcoming contest against New England in this audio link.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com checks in with rookie defensive end Bruce Irvin, who’s using his life experience to reach out to at-risk youth in the Seattle area going through similar experiences.

ESPN’s Mike Sando notes that Seattle offensive tackle Russell Okung is tied for the second-most penalties in the league with seven, while Breno Giacomini is tied for fourth with six.

Doug Kretz of Scouts Inc. previews the Seattle-New England matchup. He believes that the Patriots will crowd the box and force Seahawks rookie quarterback Russell Wilson to beat them through the air. He also expects a key positional battle to be New England receivers Brandon Lloyd and Wes Welker against Seattle’s corners. Kretz takes New England, 27-24. You must be an ESPN Insider to view this.

CBS Sports panel of NFL experts pick New England over Seattle in a clean sweep.

ESPN Boston’s Mike Reiss and former New England linebacker Tedy Bruschi take a blow-by-blow look at the Seahawks-Patriots contest. Bruschi likes the Patriots in a rout, 30-13, while Reiss goes with a hotly-contested 23-20 New England win.

Morning links
  1. Thanks Sando – I had actually pushed the thought of penalties out of my mind. ARG!!!!

Everyone should read that Dave Wyman quote above, and repeat it like a mantra. Because the Pats will move the ball Sunday. To what degree remains to be seen of course, but holding to field goals as opposed to TDs will be a significant key.

3. wazzulander says:

Nice article on Irvin, his story can really resonate with those kids. Prior to his MNF coming out party I was definitely concerned about the lack of production, but he (along with Wagner and Jones) appears to be the perfect addition to push this defense from good to great.

Another key could be 4th down stops, cause Bellicheat loves to go for it when he has a reason – long FG attempt, short yardage to go, good offensive momentum, etc. Gronk worries me alot, as Witten had several good opportunities against us, he just had a crappy game (thanks to Kam).

4. second that about the Irvin story. really nice to see a guy turn things around in his life, and look to help others do the same.

I know there are plenty of people around the country (and some on this board) who have a negative view about Carroll’s personality – but his ability to connect with people, to let guys like Irvin know that he’s got a totally clean slate here from day 1, is a really valuable attribute.

5. tacomahawk73 says:

I love to see a nice tight pass to a tight end in the red zone resulting in 6 points. With Wilson’s mobility, if he and Miller can get on the same page and start hooking up like that, it’d be sweet!

6. I see two things that we might take advantage of on Sunday.

1) Tom Brady has never seen the Seahawks defense in Seattle. He’s never stood in the middle of our noisy crowd and tried to execute his audibles. And no QB may be ready for what our defense is becoming. Newton was intimidated. Romo was intimidated. Rodgers was intimidated. Our D, plus the 12th Man, needs to force Brady into some time outs, false starts, and throw him off his game. Let’s hope Tom Brady is taking Seattle lightly and looking forward to his division game against the Jets next week. If so, he’s going to have a shocker of a day in Seattle.

2) Patriots defense will likely stack the box to try and stuff Marshawn Lynch while assuming Wilson cannot beat them with his arm. And, the Seahawks must run successfully to win, its what we do. But, the Seahawks can also take advantage of the Pats defense with play action, and using Baldwin and Rice to clear out the safeties from the middle of the field to get our TEs and RBs one-on-one with their LBs. Miller and Wilson are starting to hook up, and we’ve barely seen talented Evan Moore. Wilson needs to boldly beat the Patriots with a short and mid-range passing game, and passes to his TEs and RBs could be key.

7. HawkyHann says:

Very concerned about Leroy Hill and Trufant getting exposed. I could see Brady picking on those two sub par pass defenders. We need to pound the rock hard, with success, and keep them off the field. Giacomini and Okung should take am ample supply of Ritalin so they can focus and kill drives.

8. FleaFlicker says:

Stevos: heck yeah! Got to meet their aggressiveness head-on, and in-kind.

9. HawkyHann says:

And not kill drives. Focus Breno, you meathead.

10. FleaFlicker says:

We may not have a top rated offense, but we do have a top rated O-line (when it comes to penalties). Okung and Giac are in contention for most penalties in the league :

Got to fix that if we are going to have a shot.

11. FleaFlicker says:

Oops. Didn’t realize Eric already linked to that article.

Reading from my phone.

12. Interesting positive comments by Bruschi on Carroll’s tenure at NE.

This game has me sick in the stomach with nervous anticipation already. What do I want to see?

1.I want to see Brady on the ground a lot, to the point of panicked confusion.
    2.I don’t want us to get dinked and dunked with little three yard passes over the middle that turn into twenty yard gains.
    3.I want three turnovers.
    4.I want an effective solution if they load the box. I don’t want to see two yard and negative yard rushes.I want to see us steamroll.
    5.I want a breakout game from Russell Wilson and the receivers. At least two passing TDs and two backbreaking long runs by RW.
    6.I want a penalty free game from the offense.
    7.I want Pete and Cable and Bevell to be in command and ahead of the game at every step.
    8.I want a monster second half.

Anything else?
    9.Oh yeah. I want a win.

13. I’ve heard Big Walt is raising the flag on sunday. If that is true, oh boy that place is going to be loud!

14. PugetHawk says:

Ahhhahaha that panel that picked the Pats over the Hawks unanimously, also picked the Steelers across the board last night. Experts huh?

15. Maybe bring Hill on a blitz now and again

16. Eric…my fellow TNT bloggers…I apologize if this offends anyone but it moved me greatly. Please take a look at this story in Pro Football Talk and please consider donating any small amount to this mother and her children. She could be my wife or maybe yours. Sad situation from a fan’s perspective but a sadder situation from a mother’s perspective.

17. Unfortunatly, I don’t see us scoring any more than 13 vs NE, and clearly they will score more than that… My guess, time of possession is about 3-2 in favor of NE, perhaps worse… I’d rather have Stevos 100% right, proving me wrong… This loss at home won’t help the already slim chances we have next Wed @ SF. Another season without even an ‘average’ QB, for me, is pretty crappy… It’s getting old…

18. trout_hound says:

I found it interesting what Bruschi had to say about Russell Wilson only making one mistake a game:

Tedy: I like the kid. He makes good decisions. I’ve seen him throw the ball away multiple times. They really focus on the run game there; they’ll run 10 to 15 play-action passes per game and I’d say Wilson will make one mistake per game — he had the pick-six last week in Carolina. There are various quarterbacks that the Patriots will go up against where I’ll say, ‘He’ll give you your chances.’ With Wilson, he’ll give you one chance. He’s that smart of a decision-maker. So that one chance you have to take advantage of because he’s been very good at playing it close to the vest.

19. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

Our offense is a work in progress. Some people seem to think that Russell Wilson and the passing game won’t improve this season but that’s simply not true. I think Wilson gets more, and more, competent passing the ball each game he plays–which is why I’m not in favor of starting Flynn. I do believe that Wilson is capable of more than 1 T.D. throw per game, in fact I can see him throwing 3 against N.E. Sunday. Wilson is young/rookie and he’s only going to improve. Meanwhile, I belive that Bevell will improve, too, calling passing plays that go to Wilson’s and our receivers’ strengths. I predict that around, or shortly after, mid-season Wilson will be near the middle of the league in passing.

O.k., I said my peace. On another note, here is a funny picture of Biden meeting with Ryan before the debate.

20. PugetHawk says:

Thanks Skavage. I hadn’t heard about this story and wouldn’t have been able to make a donation without you posting this link. Tragic story.

21. Farnsworth’s article on Bruce Irvin is excellent, not just the football side of the story, but the personal side too. So many people were wrong about Bruce Irvin. He’s proving his talent and his character.

22. PugetHawk says:

Well said Stevos. I am liking Irvin more and more as the season goes along. I was temped to get on the Kiper bandwagon of not liking the pick originally. Just goes to show how little I can be swayed by some of these Draft guru’s.

23. Thanks PH. It’s truly a sad story that could happene to any one of us.