Wilson on red zone improvement – practice makes perfect

Post by Eric Williams on Oct. 11, 2012 at 1:32 pm with 42 Comments »
October 11, 2012 1:32 pm

Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson did not have any amazing antidote to his team’s struggles in the red zone so far this season.

The Seahawks are last in percentage of touchdowns inside the 20-yard line at 28.6 percent.

“Obviously in the National Football League everything moves a little bit faster the closer you get just because you’ve got that end line back there,” Wilson said. “So they can squeeze everything a little bit tighter. I think the main thing is you just have to trust what you see, get rid of the ball on time and really work on it in practice.

“That’s where you really get your timing and the communication is important in practice to transfer over to the games. You do have to really that obviously you want to score seven points every time. But at the same time, field goals are good situations, too. You’ve got to take the points when you have them, and to be able to do that, that’s great with our defense and the way they play.”

While New England certainly has the advantage at quarterback with Tom Brady, Wilson said he’s looking forward playing against on of the best signal callers in the game.

“Well, he’s one of the best quarterbacks of all time,” Wilson said. “Obviously he’s done a great job in New England. He’s really worked his offense extremely well. And so that’s the place I want to be someday, winning several Super Bowls and getting there several times here in this organization.”

Wilson also said he expects a tough challenge from New England’s defense, which already has 14 takeaways through five games.

“They’re coached extremely well,” Wilson said. “They attack the football, even after guys catch it, or when guys are running it. So we have to really protect the football, and just play our game. Get up the field, make plays and get first downs, one play at a time. And then we get down in the red zone or third down situations, we’ve got to capitalize.”

Notes from practice
  1. hawkdawg says:

Like this dude a lot. But his interviews are exercises in cliches. Every now and then, you get a glimpse of something more, but then he snaps it down tight again.

2. Hawksince77 says:

Yeah, I can’t really watch his interviews anymore. I start, listen for a few minutes, then turn it off.

Nothing new (several themes repeated every time), nothing that’s not already obvious, and zero substance.

Somebody (Eric I think) tried to have him focus on balancing red zone TDs and tight windows and got nothing. I was thinking that so many of the questions were soft-balls with no opportunity to provide substantive answers, but I don’t think that’s the case. Just not a whole lot Wilson can add to what we already know.

Not sure how this compares to other QB interviews. At least PC always has some actual news to share, and sometimes gets goaded to provide something truly interesting about the team.

3. freedom_X says:

Looking at it overall, I think it’s great that as a rookie Wilson is already self-aware and careful about what he says. The last thing he should be doing is flapping his gums or committing faux pas.

Once he’s established himself he can be freer in commenting, like Brady his. But as he hasn’t proven anything yet, he’s smart enough to stay out of controversy. Wilson doesn’t need any of that right now, while he’s learning the business.

4. jchawks08 says:

I bet Flynn would of provided more substansive answers.

5. Who cares about Flynn and how he would conduct an interview! Give it a rest for cryin out loud!We have patriots coming to town that’s what’s important. Don’t mean to jump on your case jc hawk nothing personalim just ready to roll on this game and focused on that! Wilsons the started let’s stay in the pocket!

6. doubledink says:

step away from the edge JIRISH, he was only joking. humor can be more effective when it is unannounced.

7. tacomahawk73 says:

Good point, JIRISH. I know these guys are entitled to their opinion and passionate about their beliefs, but it does start to sound like a broken record. Wilson earned the starting position over Flynn, and I doubt the process consisted of mock interviews.

8. This ain’t intramurals brother! It’s game week let’s save our humor for intramurals:—-) oh by the way I’m not on the ledge! I jumped along time ago!

9. Wow, people took their serious pills today. Relax. Have a beer. Laugh. Fairly certain jchawks’ comment was a bit of funny.

10. tacomahawk73 says:

I bet Flynn would have pulled off the sarcasm a little better :)

11. chrisj122 says:

Learn to take a frigin joke already!

If reading a post with the name Flynn in it makes you react as if someone just had committed an act violence, then you really should be taken your meds.

12. Eyes rolling.

13. chrisj122 says:

I like the Chuck Knox approach better, when it comes to practice.

“Practice does NOT make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect!”

Interesting to see how our pre-season opponents have done so far-

Tennessee – 1-4
    Kansas City- 1-4
    Oakland – 1-3
    Denver – 2-3

Overall – 5-14

What this all means, I don’t know? I just thought it was interesting.

15. Ok ok ok.I got it. Anybody else need to clear the air about me needing to relax. Feel free-great opportunity to let me have it!

16. chrisj122 says:

It’s getting close to the end of week and I think most are a little on edge. Lets just call it the Belichick affect.

17. Chris 122 so what else do you know about chuck Knox?

18. Palerydr says:

I believe Knox was the first coach to take 2 different teams to a conference championship game. Also Knox would give Holmgren a serious run for the money with his death stare…

Nothing against Flynn, however I noticed in his interviews in pre- season that he was very passive, as oppossed to Wilsons that were more take charge like.
    Perhaps Flynns 3.something yards per throw had something to do with it.
    I’m sure the other players on the team pick up on this as well. And since Wilson won the starting position His teammates have been very supportive of him.
    I think Wilson clearly has the majority of his teammates behind him.

20. Your right 122.this game can’t come soon enough, maybe I’m wrong but I feel like this is the biggest hawks game in along time ofcourse they are all big games but this one has something special written all over it!

21. Chuck Knox was thebest coach to never win a superbowl and he was also one of the greatest leaders I have ever known! But any ways enough of my B.S for today

Chuck Knox is my favorite Seahawk coach of all time, Hands down! He had us playing well in arguably the best division in football.
    Carroll has his work cut out for him because it looks like we are headed into the best division in football again.

Holmgren was a great offense coach, however he had it so easy in the NFC worst.

23. If you want more candid Russel Wilson real rob report has some good stuff.

It’s good to see him in a more loose format

Is that really you HawksKD? Good to see you back! Hope you come back more often.

BTW- What’s your thoughts on our draft this year after five games?

25. chrisj122 says:

Growing up watching the Hawks in the 80’s was a special time.
    Our defense was always very stout but very fast (kind of how our D is now).
    Knox was usually conservative offensively but it worked for the most part. I do recall getting a little frustrated from time to time with the conservative play calling late in games but you can’t complain when almost very season we were playoff contenders.

Remember chrisj122 when Knox was head coach of the Rams and they came into the Kingdome and held us to something like -22 yards for the whole game. Is that still an NFL record?

27. sluggo42 says:

jc08 – that was frickin funny…

RW reads this blog and knows that a few are disappointed with him, so he keeps his comments low key for now. Chillin, waitin to throw down some big game before he relaxes and says “gee, that was fun!” “GO HAWKS”

28. jchawks08 says:

Yes, sarcasm is my middle name. And Georgia that was funny as hell too. Relax guys.. The Seahawks got this!

It was -7 yards in that game. Also we set a 16 game season low for scoring in 92, 140 points, so it could be alot worse than it is now, so be thirsty, ( I mean patient ) my friend.

30. jchawks08 says:

That ’92 season was a rough one. Dan McfrigginGwire. Stan Gelbaugh. Kelly Stouffer too right? Murder’s Row of QB’s right there. Amazing D though as other’s have made mention. Tez at his best. But yea, let’s not relive that too much.

31. sluggo42 says:

Ya know…

Rerally? The only difference between these two teams is that Brady is a HOF’er QB, and RW isn’t…yet.

But, that said, the other 52 are just some football players, and I can’t honestly say they are any tougher than we are, and in all reality, they probably aren’t. So I no longer care that they are pretty good. Cuz I think after a few minute of “feelin us”, they won’t be so bad ass after all…

32. chrisj122 says:

Georgia, I try not remember most of that 92 season.

Tez was the only reason worth watching the Hawks in those days but then again you never saw a home game back then due to the NFL blacking them out.

33. chrisj122 says:

Under the Mora year didn’t the Hawks have one game where they rushed for something 4yrds?

I remember two dismal games that year one was I think like 4yrs and the other was 7yrds.

Our running game has come along way since then.

34. chrisj122 says:

Those are rushing yards, sorry should have clarified.

35. gonefishin69690 says:

I think we have a better chance at winning this game, than we will next Thursday night in Frisco.

36. chris – I remember. I believe it was the game I was at when they played in the Metrodome. That wasn’t an overly fun day.

37. chrisj122 says:

Bobby, sorry you had to witness that first hand.

That year whenever it was a 3rd or 4th and less than a yard, I would just cringe because they couldn’t get a push against a lingerie league team (although that may have given them so more motivation).

38. PopTacoma says:

RW can’t have that much to say. After the last game, he’s finally ranked above Mark Sanchez (QBR). Sanchez still has a few hundred passing yards on him. I hope the guy is the real deal and can keep improving, but so far he’s proven to be part of the weak link in the hawks chain.

39. Hawksince77 says:

Georgia,

Without looking it up, wasn’t that Rams game on Monday night?

Man that was a sorry time to be a Seahawks fan.

Hawksince77- I don’t know, however it ranks up there for one of our worst games of alltime , (to me), with that Monday night game that Bo Jackson ran all over us.

So glad we are not being pushed around physically anymore.

41. @TAcoma . . . .but it does start to sound like a broken record. . . .

You mean the fact that NO Flynn person made a comment only the Pro Wilson crowd commenting and critizing today

42. jawpeace says:

The 1992 season has one good memory for me. I was in my college psychology class and I announced that the Hawks would win. The professor said I was nuts. Yeah that was but I had a feeling. The next day after they won I got up with my Hawk gear on pointed to it doing a little dance. Saying oh yeah who was right!
    The thing that was so sad about that season was how good the D was, and we also had a good running back. But the QB play was so awful. And if Knox would have gotten his way that would have been Bret Favre sophomore year. And nobody better compare the that season to now as Wilson and Flynn are light years ahead of the 92 clowns.