Russell Wilson on the critics: “I use it as fire.”

Post by Eric Williams on Oct. 7, 2012 at 6:46 pm with 70 Comments »
October 8, 2012 9:53 pm

After helping to lead his team to a 16-12 win over Carolina – Seattle’s first win on the road this season — Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson admitted to hearing the critics of his play up until this point of the season.

And while Wilson did not play flawlessly – he finished 19 of 25 for 221 yards, including a 13-yard touchdown to Golden Tate and two interceptions – he feels like today’s victory was a step in the right direction.

“I use it as fire,” Wilson said about the critics. “I ignore the noise all the time, but at the same time, I know that I have to get better. I’m a self motivator. That’s the way I’ve always been.

“I trust in what I’m doing. And I trust the steps that I’m taking every single day to get there early, and to watch tons of film and take tons of notes – all that attention to detail it takes to be good at what you do. I can never let that waver.”

One area Wilson showed improvement was on third down. Seattle finished 7 of 14 on the money down against the Panthers, helping to extend drives.

But still, the Seahawks had too many costly penalties on offense – three that negated 81 yards of offense in the first half, including a 56-yard bomb to Tate.

Things were so bad that Seattle head coach Pete Carroll took right tackle Breno Giacomini out of the game in the first half after a holding call and a personal foul penalty, putting Frank Omiyale in for a series.

“I had to sit him down,” Carroll said. “We’re talking so clearly about the issues that are coming up with these penalties. I’ve been with him and on him since OTAs. But it showed up again. .. But we had to sit him down just to make the statement that you can’t keep doing stuff.”

Carroll said after the put Giacomini back in, Seattle’s coaching staff told him he couldn’t have any more penalties for the rest of the game, and he came through the rest of the game okay.

But overall, Carroll liked the improvement Seattle made on offense, and stands by Wilson as the team’s quarterback moving forward – for now.

“I thought Russell played a great football game today,” Carroll said. “He was in control the whole time. He had one throw that got away from him. He terrific on third down. He only missed one completion on third down … I think Russell really showed his strength as a football player and a competitor to just hang in there.

“There’s been a lot of scrutiny about him and all that stuff, but he had a great week and put it all together for us.”

A goal line stand to remember
Carolina had the ball on Seattle’s 1-yard line on fourth-and-goal with about four minutes left, trailing 16-10.

And with 6-foot-5, 245-pound bruising quarterback Cam Newton, everybody on Seattle’s defense sensed a quarterback sneak would be the call, with Newton jumping over the pile for a score.

Except for safety Earl Thomas. Because of the team’s success against opposing teams in snuffing out runs on the goal line with run through blitzes by Thomas and Kam Chancellor, Thomas thought the Panthers might go play action.

“If I make up my mind, I’m blitzing,” Thomas said. “I don’t care really what the call was. If I feel like it’s a run in a crucial situation, I’m gone. And they see that on film.”

Newton said that he had a run-pass option, but decided to go with the pass at the line of scrimmage. Thomas believes that Newton seeing Seattle’s tendancy to blitz in those situations played a role in the Carolina quarterback changing the play, something Carroll couldn’t have been happier about.

“We were expecting that he was going to jump over the top,” Carroll said. “And so everybody was ready and raring to go. But when he pulled out to throw the football it was like, ‘Hallelujah, we’ve got a chance.’”

Cornerback Brandon Browner also played an important role in setting up a play. Without Seattle’s big corner keeping Carolina receiver Louis Murphy out of the end zone on third down with a sure tackle, the Seahawks would have not had an opportunity for the big stop.

Browner also had a key play that set up Seattle’s go-ahead touchdown, stringing out an option play, and then tackling Carolina running back DeAngelo Williams behind the line of scrimmage, stripping him of the ball and recovering it Carolina’s 27-yard line.

Tate put Seattle up for good five plays later on a 13-yard touchdown reception from Wilson.

“Brandon’s play where he takes the ball from him on the option was a terrific play,” Carroll said. “But then he makes a terrific tackle to put them in fourth and 1 there, when most of the time guys get in the end zone. But he just didn’t let it happen.”

Marshawn’s beastly run
Although Seattle running back Marshawn Lynch finished with just 85 yards on 21 carries, 11 of the most important yards came with the Seahawks backed up on their own goal line after taking over the ball on downs.

On third-and-seven from Seattle’s own 4-yard line, Lynch bulled his way through Carolina’s defense for 11 yards with 2:58 remaining and Seattle up 16-10, giving the Seahawks some breathing room and allowing them to burn more clock.

“His run to knock us off the goal line was a huge play for us by the guys up front,” Carroll said. “To give us the clock and the opportunity to take the safety and all of that stuff, with not much time left, that was really fantastic effort there, too.”

Added Seattle defensive end Red Bryant: “Marshawn is a guy that I know, speaking for myself and the defense, we feed off of. Because that’s the type of mentality that we’ve got. We’re going to find a way.”

The Seahawks had to punt from their own 18-yard line with 59 second remaining. But rather than risking the possibility of Carolina blocking the punt, Carroll had punter Jon Ryan run out of the back of the end zone and take a safety instead.

“I said let’s kick it from the 20 with a free kick opportunity and see what happens,” Carroll said. “Because so many things can go wrong, and the pressure of the rush and all of that. And the we knew the differential was fine, so he could be contacting the ball at the 20 instead of the six of something.”

Of course, Seattle long snapper Clint Gresham’s delivery was a little high, creating some extra tension that Carroll could do without.

“No, that was just one drama of the today,” said Carroll with a smile.

Injury update
Defensive tackle Clinton McDonald suffered a groin injury, and will be evaluated further when the team gets home to Seattle on Monday.

1. Damn I love this team.

And I’m glad that New England just had a big win over Peyton Manning at home, and now they have to fly across the country to our house next week. We will be ready for them.

2. ThickRich says:

Having to follow the second half on game tracker was not fun. It seemed like they loosened up the reigns on the playbook a bit and I think RW showed some improvement and maturity today. I love the defense and I will always love the Hawks. Lets rock the joint next Sunday and send Bill and Brady back home with their tails tucked between their legs. GO HAWKS

3. I have nothing against RW, but he is the weak link on this team. They can only go as far as he takes them. He needs to be more decisive in the red zone, and quit missing (not seeing) open receivers.

4. grizindabox24 says:

Offense is still a liability. They can not continue to win games kicking field goals and expecting the defense to hold teams to less than 14 points every game.

5. SharkHawk says:

They have won 3 out of 5 against 3 of the top offenses in the NFL. So I’m going to say… yeah, I think they CAN continue to win believe it or not. Rodgers, Romo, and Cam are no slouches. Bradford was the #1 overall pick, and the Cards won by a single play off of Baldwin’s fingertips in a home field opener with one of the top defenses in the league. I have ZERO reason to believe that Wilson will stop improving. Everything points to continued improvement. If this defense gets any better we can start winning with 1 field goal a game.

6. Damn straight, Griz! Tell ‘em!

There is hope, if the stupid coaches will just let Wilson PLAY!

THe passing offense is a liability, yes. But as Eric points out, it was a step in the right direction. Next step is to convert those field goals into TDs.

8. I think the return of Doug Baldwin to health was a good step forward today. We can’t depend on Rice to get open every play, but Rice and Baldwin and Tate were all getting open more today it seemed. Looking forward to watching the reply. Baldwin getting more targets and making the catches today was good to see.

9. SharkHawk says:

The passing offense is a liability… but this is the growing pains stage. It is happening with every team with a young QB. Heck…. look at what the #1 overall pick and Heisman trophy winner Cam Newton did today. Who was a bigger passing liability today? Cam or Russ? It’s a pretty easy call. We just need a QB that can keep us going and improve from week to week.

To get this kind of production on the road out of a rookie in his fifth game ever is pretty impressive when you consider all of the years we’d go on the road and get our tails kicked on the east with a savvy veteran in Matt at QB and the opponent would have a QB like Matt Moore or AJ Feeley look like Johnny Unitas for a day against the Hawks pass D. Let’s not forget where we’ve come from to where we currently are right now gang. This is a team sport, and even if the Hawks had moved up and snagged Landry Jones or Matt Barkley this draft (if they had both also declared) then I am guessing we’d still be seeing some growing pains, some offensive inefficiency, and some losses.

10. sluggo42 says:

Growth is all we need to see, and we are. He improves every week, and I noticed today that he finally discovered the “pocket”. I just LOVED seeing Mr Miller get a few throws today. I think that winning this game after all of the things that could have caused a letdown, didn’t.

Bruuuuuuuuuce was a factor again today too, and I see him getting better too. I just about threw up in my pants after the long completion to Tate got called back from Geno…gaaaaaaa. I liked that he got sat down, after the PF negating Lynches great run (that would have given him his 100 yds, I believe) Even though I thought it was a BS call, just like OKungs BS holding call that messed up another great Lynch run. Come to think of it, Lynch would/could have been well over 100 yds…. Or am I wrong?

I am very encouraged, and our “D” is totally badass…

11. Lynch had a run of 12 and 11 called back I believe so there it is the yards needed for over 100

12. Sluggo–Youre right! Zack Miller catching some long passes was REALLY important! I hope it bodes well for trust in the line and future games with 5-7 passes a game to him.

Myself, Id like to see 6 targets a game to Miller, and 10 to Rice, with 7 to Tate and 5 to Baldwin. Simply because as the outlet/slot guy, Baldwin will pick up targets as the second/third option.

Yep, that means more than 25 passes a game attempted; its the only way to be a real championship NFL team right now. I loves me some lynch, but until Seattle can scare people with the pass, we arent really contenders. Just hopeful pretenders.

13. xcman–Youre assuming the holds had no bearing on the outcome of those plays, which is likely not true. Give Carolina credit for stopping our run game as good as anyone this year, with sub-par talent. Too bad it wasnt enough for them to win–NOT! Ha ha hA!

14. MEhawkfan says:

I agree, Sluggo42, it was awesome to see Miller get the ball up the seam. Here’s to more of that. I think Wilson made some good strides this week from last. He does lack vision in the redzone, but that will come with experience. He spread the ball around fairly well today. I think maybe he and his receivers might be starting to get in sync a little.

I like the Hawks chances against the Pats if they:

Eliminate the drive killing/drive extending penalties on the O and D respectively.

Work on some plays for Wilson in the redzone so they can come away with TD’s instead of 3′s.

Knock Brady around just like the did Newton today.

15. StevoS-Yep, its great to see Baldwin getting back to form. He’s gonna be our new Bobby Engram/Mike Pritchard/Paul Skansi. I was quietly very worried about his disappearance thus far.

16. SnakePlisskenBV says:

A dominating defensive performance once again. And rectifying some of out third down woes on both sides of the ball is very encouraging. Bring on the pats and brady’s giant nosed euro trash bride!

17. Seahawks2620 says:

I actually think Wilson played a great game today. He missed some things that were pretty costly, but his offensive line really let him down on some awful penalties (most noteably the golden Tate bomb). However he still looked solid and has shown the ability to drive the team downfield consistently. As Dukeshire and many of you have alluded to, we just need to start turning some of these drives into 7 points. It would do wonders for every aspect of this team.

18. montanamike2 says:

Carpenter back helped a lot i hope Moffit returns soon so we can go off with the Beast and the Hulk. How many goal line stands do we have so far?

19. sluggo42 says:

Didn’t Lynch get a long run recalled by a OKung holding penalty?, Which was ticky tak at best.

Russ to Rice was good today too. Tate has great hands. Miller has great hands. Baldwin has great hands. Not sure about #17. But he had a holding call too that wiped out another great play.

If you think about it, we probably lost at least 100 yards to penalties, not to mention the yardage we lost due to the penalties in addition, maybe 150 total yards?

Wagner was showing speed today running Cam down. I was so glad they stuffed him, I would have had a hard time not throwing my beer through the bar’s TV screen if I had to watch him do his superman imitation.

20. SharkHawk says:

Wagner showed why Heater is gone. I love the Heater, and he was as sure of a tackler as we’ve had, but his knee issues slowed him down too much for what this team is trying to accomplish. The speed exhibited by Wagner, Bruce, and Clem was something that I don’t think Cam has ever seen. He looked absolutely shell-shocked today after getting run down by Wagner the first time. The fact that Bruce is faster than Wagner should make all QB’s scared, especially those that aren’t as mobile as Cam (which is pretty much everybody in the league) and those who don’t have as good of tackles as Jordan Gross (again, pretty much everybody in the league). Bruce and Clem are going to really be able to turn it up as the LBer’s continue to solidify and are able to cover so well that they can turn the MLB loose like they did today and were able to do with Lofa at times.

I feel Kuechly played very well today, but for the Hawks being able to get Irvin AND Wagner for the cost of 1 Kuechly is pretty impressive drafting and player evaluation. We ended up with a potential elite DE/OLB and a MLB that is freakishly fast and very sound at MLB in just his fifth pro game.

21. bbnate420 says:

As some have mentioned, I think RW maybe feels too much pressure not to turn the ball over in the red zone. Turnovers are very important and you can’t be stupid with the ball, but you can’t be totally afraid to make a mistake either. You won’t make the needed plays to win that way. It’s a balance they need to find. Hopefully, as RW gets more confidence and PC gets more confidence in him they will. They could also improve the play calling in the red zone IMO. Dispense with the empty backfields and mix up the run and pass more.

The balance issue also goes for players like Breno. I like them being aggressive, but you HAVE to learn when to pull up. The other 4 o-lineman aren’t constantly getting personal fouls. He has to be extra careful for awhile until he gets the cross hairs off of him.

22. JMSeaTown says:

Wilson will keep getting better. How many of Cam’s passes got batted down? I can remember at least 3… How many did Wilson have? Where’s Mel Kiper’s hair now? I’d like ESPN to do a re-run next year of him giving the Seahawks an ‘F’ grade. I can’t stand that guy.

On a more positive note, Tom Brady could seriously get injured in the next game. I was watching the Pats v. Broncos game today & my god how immobile is he?

Keys to the NE game:

Stop the run so they HAVE to pass.
    Make Tom Brady uncomfortable because he’s a statue.
    12th Man.

23. bbnate420 says:

sluggo42, the one hold was on #87 Obomanu, not #17 Edwards. I think the holding call against Okung must’ve been on someone else, and they called the wrong number. They didn’t show a good replay of the other lineman. If it was actually on Okung, then it was a HORRIBLE call and even the idiot announcers said so.

24. Seahawks2620 says:

I know it’s early in the season and the texans have yet to play this week, however our Seahawks defense just moved into the number one spot in the NFL! That just feels great to me.

25. JZombie says:

I was going to ask where that Braylon Edwards guy has been, but I noticed he did show up on the stat sheet with one catch for 10 yards.

26. montanamike2 says:

Tate is outplaying him which is a good thing. #1 priority next year is WR.

27. PugetHawk says:

Well said Sluggo regarding Miller getting involved. I think as the line gels and gets better Miller won’t be asked to stay in and block as much so he can be that big seam target for Wilson. Wilson would’ve been close to 300 yards had that big pass not been called back.

Also, lovin the left side of the line with Unger, Carp, and Okung. Moffitt coming back will be an improvement too. I like our chances against the Pats.

Anyone know when they are planning to bring Thurmond back? Do they have to wait until after week 6?

28. Seahawks2620 says:

As far as wide receivers go next year, we will either have to trade or draft one because I believe the top guys in free agency are going to be Greg Jennings and Dwayne Bowe. Not very attractive options due to age and durability.

29. bbnate420 says:

There could be some good WRs in the free agent market, depending on franchise tags. Greg Jennings, Bowe, Mike Wallace, Wes Welker. Wallace may have soured the Stealers on him, but I’m not sure the Hawks could afford him. Maybe a Keenan Allen falls to them in the draft if they’re lucky.

30. EyeAmBaldman says:

The Patriots could be a tough opponent. After watching that game today, the Pats used the no-huddle to perfection and gassed the Denver D-line. They did get some pressure on him, but it will be tough. You know Belichick will see the Hawks defensive team speed and plan accordingly.

31. bbnate420 says:

Puget, Thurmond is on the PUP list. That means he cannot start practicing until week 7. He has until the end of week 9 to start practicing, and the Hawks have 3 weeks from the time he starts practicing to decide whether to add him to the 53 or place him on the IR. That’s how I understand it anyways.

32. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

I’m sorry, I really am, but this feel-good nonsense about Russell Wilson should really stop. The fact that we’re winning is overshadowing how he is holding back our offense, and as a result, our chances to win. If the Seahawks don’t have an ironclad Top 3 (at worst) defense, we are 0-5, 1-4 at best, and Wilson would already have been benched. Those interceptions were horrendous, and not to mention all the wide open reads he misses because he’s too short and too hesitant in the pocket. The defense did not give up a touchdown AGAIN, and RW3-and-Out couldn’t manage to lead a TD drive that wasn’t aided by turnovers. If we had an actually good QB in there, we would be blowing out teams left and right like the 49ers and Bears have of late.

And to those who are going to come at me by saying he’s improving, it’s hard not to improve when you are dead last in almost every statistical category.

33. Seahawks2620 says:

bbnate420- Absolutely. I would really only be interested in Mike Wallace out of the group. We would absolutely be able to afford him. I’m just not sure he is the type of WR that Pete is looking for. He seems to want bigger more physical players on his team. I would love him though!

34. jboard1 says:

But, they ARE that good, so what is your point? Wilson is progressing as this Defense tears it up. Not to mention defense wins championships and this team is doing it consistently, every game. Your point is moot bro.

Those interceptions were horrendous

Dude, one throw was behind him, yes. Even the best QB’s make these mistakes. The other INT was on Lynch (and good defense). You are ridiculous with your banter. DO you ever have anything good to say about the seahawks? DO us all a favor…..

35. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

Defense doesn’t win championships, this is completely hogwash that people continue to parrot. Just because the Bucs and Ravens fluked into it over a decade ago doesn’t make it true. QBs and elite passing games win championships. And how DARE you blame Lynch for that INT, it was another signature crappy broken play by Wilson with another awful inaccurate throw.

36. Sidney Rice has really made the tough grabs this year. I’m happy to eat a plate full of crow for saying his Pro-Bowl year was more Favre than him.

37. Dude find a different team to “root” for. For all of us.

38. riverew says:

BRING ON NE! #1 D vs #1 O in the NFL

39. jboard1 says:

It wasnt the best throw to lynch, but he had his hands on it, it was his ball to lose and the D made a good play on it. How dare YOU blame that on Wilson. You are a hater. you know it, and everyone here knows it.

This was a good win for the hawks, can you just be happy about that?

They have a lot of work to do, sure, especially on penalties. Lets focus on those mistakes rather than bring down the future of this team. Just have some faith bro. Your negative attitude is beyond obnoxious and is making reading this board very hard to read.

40. OregonHawk says:

ACIB I see your point, However I am not ready to give up on the kid.

I think if they gave up on him, then his future as a Hawk is in jeopardy, and I do not want to throw away a 3rd round draft pick.

I have felt that Flynn should have won the job as QB, but for what ever reason he did not.

I also do not feel our WR, O-Line, and Head Coach/ Offensive coordinator are doing our QB any favors. It really does feel like the coaching is not to loose in stead of give us an opportunity to win.

41. rramstad says:

ACIB, it appears to me you haven’t watched rookie QBs play much. Go back and take a look at the records of famous QBs when they were rookies, it’s rather shocking. Not at all unusual for teams to go 2-14, 5-11, stuff like that with rookie quarterbacks. I for one believe that RW is getting better — as you note, of course he is, the benchmark is pretty low — and he doesn’t need to be great, he can be Trent Dilfer winning a Super Bowl with the Ravens, that’s fine with me…

42. hawkdawg says:

Some posters decide what the truth is, then intepret all evidence through the prism of that pre-determined truth. There are no facts that can change the truth, because the truth is not changeable, by definition, and they and a chosen few are the only ones who see it.

But Wilson doesn’t give a crap about what those posters say, neither do his coaches, and neither should any reasonable fan. The evidence is clear–Wilson’s game today was signficantly better. Not perfect. Better. The question is how much better it will get, at what pace, and with how many regressions along the way. I look forward to finding out.

43. jboard1 says:

Absolutely hawkdawg…agree completely

44. SharkHawk says:

AaronCurryisBust. This is hilarious. You claim (I’m assuming with a straight face) that Russell Wilson HOLDS THE SEAHAWKS BACK FROM WINNING. Did you not watch the game? They WON! They’ve won 3 games. They’ve beaten the Packers, Cowboys, and Panthers. They’re 2 plays away from being 5-0. How is Russell Wilson holding them back from winning on a day when they WON THE GAME?!!!

I swear… I’ve always thought you were just horsing around. After your outburst yesterday at Eric and what you just said, that you’ve lost touch with the reality of what is actually happening. The Seahawks are 3-2, and you’re claiming it’s Russell Wilson’s fault they lost a game they won? Hmmm… ok.

45. Kicking game 10 points… Offence 6 points. Enough said! This once again is a Defnensive victory. I don’t care how P.C spins this the offence is putrid. It’s a damn shame to waste the talent around this QB. Fire ya say well R.W I’m waiting let’s see it in the red zone where it counts.

46. adamtoth says:

I really like Carp at left guard, he seems so much more comfortable there than last year at right tackle. He was a beast run blocking. On the broadcast they showed him perfectly lock up a defender to create a hole for Lynch between him and Okung. So then I watched him on the next play (an off tackle run to the right side) and he athletically dove at the feet of the defender and totally cut him down, jamming a bunch of people there. Nice stuff there, just wish the right side could smarten up.

Russell sure had some zip on the ball today. Reminded me a lot of Brees on a few plays, with how quickly he went from snap to throw, and how fast the ball was.

47. JMSeaTown says:

AaronCurryisBust definitely smokes &/or smoked a lot of crack. How does d not win championships? Just look at the last 5 winners: Giants twice with crazy good pass rush, Packers, Saints who ended Farve’s career, and the Steelers!

Common sense, if you don’t have defense, you don’t win championships.

Sorry coach didn’t put you in back in ’85, I’m sure your team would’ve won state. When will you realize that you’re not wanted here and your banter has no legitimacy behind it… Ever. STFU!

Go hawks!

48. guywhothinksheknowsitall says:

And the award for funniest comment of the day goes to ACIB!!!

“And how DARE you blame Lynch for that INT”

LOL at people who think a rookie QB should play at the same level as a 10 year pro. Rookie QBs don’t normally even WIN games, much less complete 76% of their passes and lead game winning drives at or near the end of the game. Sure, he missed a couple of open recievers, but does anybody complete every pass they ever throw? I don’t think so. We are very lucky to have a QB who can go through his growing pains and still be able to win games. If I had to chose between what we have now, and having a team like the Panthers last year who had outstanding play from their rookie QB, but still couldn’t win, I chose our current situation every single time. What I love most about Wilson is how he can come back in after throwing interceptions on 2 consecutive drives and still get the team into the endzone for a TD. Rookies don’t have that kind of composure.

49. guywhothinksheknowsitall says:

Oh yea I forgot to add that I guarantee even Lynch blames himself for that ITN

50. chrisj122 says:

ACIB makes some good points, a little dramatic and over the top but he’s got some solid points.

Its just too bad ACIB has put himself this position where no one can really take him seriously.

51. NWPoseidon says:

Lol these comments are just funny these days. So many trolls and troll hunters.

Go Seahawks! Btw… We are the Seahawks and not the hawks, I know I have fallen victim to shortening the name but we should call them by what they are. We’re not Atlanta. An were not a basketball team.

52. PugetHawk says:

Thanks for the info Nate. I definitely think Thurmond will help out in some of the 3rd down plays that we sometimes struggle to get off the field on.

ACiB, Wilson’s completion percentage ability to move the ball is impressive so I am not sure what you’re seeing. For a rookie he is doing enough to get us a winning record and by the time he hits the second half of the season he will be even more impressive. He’s gonna be around for a long time so get used to it.

53. abqhwkfn says:

I suggest everyone ignore ACIB.. So that he will go away… i dont mind his opinion and he is welcome to share it… but its the same old thing. over and over.. it gets old. post your opinion. tell us how much you dislike RW then go away.. You dont need to hijack the entire comments section.. we get it.. you dont like RW..

54. abq, that sounds like good advice.

55. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

You guys need to stop trolling and ignoring my points just because you disagree, so I’ll copy and paste them in the hopes that you can actually read them this time. Search your hearts, for you know them to be TRUE:

56. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

The Lynch interception was almost the exact same as the one to Baldwin last week that resulted in an interception. We can’t just excuse him for every awful throw he makes that the receiver has to adjust to just to get a hand on. They both were terrible throws. Last week everyone is saying Baldwin should’ve caught the ball, but the reality is – if it wasn’t a crappy throw behind Baldwin, a pick would’ve never been in play. Instead, Wilson made a throw, both times, that gave the defense the opportunity to make a play. He is at fault for both picks, and if his ball placement had been better on the throw to Marshawn, that would’ve been a completion instead of a fluky INT as well. You can’t excuse bad placement by saying something fluky happened after bad placement – remember to use process based analysis, not results based analysis. Three inaccurate throws resulted in three picks. Like golf, the QB should miss his target away from trouble – and Wilson’s misses are tending to be too much towards trouble, not away from it.

57. DanielleMND says:

“The fact that we’re winning is overshadowing how he is holding back our offense”

58. DanielleMND says:

“and if his ball placement had been better on the throw to Marshawn”

Dude, get your eyes checked today. You really need it.

59. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

“If Baldwin holds on to that pass in Game 1, we’re 4-1 now. Last week, if McCoy doesn’t fall down, who knows where that final drive ends. RW has some growing pains, and has lots of room for improvement, but I think you’re placing too much blame on him.”

If Russell isn’t awful for the first 55 minutes of both of those games than there isn’t any need for a gamewinning drive in the first place.

“Dude, get your eyes checked today. You really need it.”

Thanks for your well-reasoned argument. Oh, wait, just more trolling. It was a broken play made by Wilson channeling his inner Seneca Wallace and Lynch having to pay the price by trying to take a stab at a pass thrown far behind him.

60. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

The problem is Wilson made a game that Seattle’s D was dominating into a Panthers lead. He isn’t ready and Flynn is.

61. It is a shame that some people (hard to call them fans) posting here become obsessive about individual players and criticize them beyond all reasonableness.
    Two points come to mind: first, it is a team sport and most positions are interdependent, especially QB’s and WR’s and QB’s and OL’s; second, evaluating a player against one’s expectations rather than against other players in similar situations is blatantly unfair. That some past criticism of a player who was truly a bust was valid does not make that critic all-knowing.
    The team is improving as individual players develop rapport with each other and previously injured players keep improving.
    Enjoy the win and support the team, not your own ego.

62. guywhothinksheknowsitall says:

A few things stood out to me while looking at RW’s stats through 5 games vs. the rookie stats of some guy named Peyton Manning.

Completion %
    PM-56.7%
    RW-63.2%

Yards per Attempt
    PM-6.5
    RW-6.5

QB Rating
    PM-71
    RW-75

Manning’s season total TDs/INTs vs. RW’s projections based on his totals through 5 games.

PM-26TD/28INT
    RW-16TD/19INT

I am not saying that RW will be anything like Peyton Manning, but the point here is that giving up on a rookie QB because of a few mistakes is an uneducated decision. Leaving the guy in and letting him get experience is a much more efficient way of developing a QB than benching him every time he makes a mistake. (See Alex Smith being benched multiple times and the 6 years it took for him to finally flourish.)

63. ACIB, the only QB’s that are playing at a level that would satisfy you are Tom Brady and maybe Matt Ryan right now. So it’s not just RW. It’s pretty much every other QB in the league that falls short based on your impossibly high standards. There are no quarterbacks who place the ball perfectly every time, because things happen. 300+ lb dudes chasing after you. Things like that. You are delusional, bro. There is no QB like what you imagine available right now. However, if we are all a little patient, Wilson may evolve into the player we all want him to be towards the end of this season and beyond. True Seahawk fans all realize this and that is why we root for Wilson, because we see his potential through his flaws and he will only get better.
    The way I see it, we can have our cake and eat it too. PC knows our D is strong enough that we can have a rookie QB learn on the job and go through his mistakes and STILL WIN. And then by the time the playoffs roll around, we’ll see where we stand. And remember that many good QB’s stay at home come January because their defenses aren’t good enough for them to make the playoffs. So your argument can go the other way. If our QB was all-pro but our defense held us back, and we never won and didn’t make the playoffs would we as Seahawk nation really be any happier?

64. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

“ACIB, the only QB’s that are playing at a level that would satisfy you are Tom Brady and maybe Matt Ryan right now. So it’s not just RW.”

Um, no. Why do people insist on making ignorant comments like this? I’m not the boogeyman here. I don’t expect Wilson to throw for 300+ yards and 3 TDs every game, but I do find it inexcusable that YET AGAIN we only had a SINGLE touchdown drive the entire game, and only after a turnover. We had 7 points from a TD and 9 from field goals. INEXCUSABLE and yet you people are acting like I’m holding RW3-and-Out to some impossibly high standard. He is OBJECTIVELY playing poorly by any measure and to say otherwise is simply ignoring reality.

65. AaronCurryIsBUST says:

And how dare you criticize my fandom because I’m not drinking the kool-aid and slurping Russell Wilson because of his poor play holding back our offense.

66. piperfeltcher says:

Wilson played well yesterday in my opinion. With the D and running game being as strong as they are the most important thing is to keep drives going and make the throws on 3rd down which Wilson did yesterday. As long as Hawks dominate time of possession like they did yesterday they will be a hard team to beat. By the 4th quarter you could see the Panthers D was wearing down. This team does not have the talent on O to get into shootouts it is built for ball control football, keep there D fresh while grinding away with the run and wearing the opponent out and they executed this gameplan yesterday.

67. mojjonation says:

How can someone be so ignorant to say that if one guy was starting over another on this team, the team would be 5-0? If he was up on Flynn’s nuts any higher, he’d be Lance Bass. There is no proof that we would be 5-0 with Flynn. It’s a uselss arguement.

68. Its a team game and the team has to decide where to spend it’s money. Like it or not The Seahawks chose to have a strong D.
    With the salary cap that means the O has to suffer.
    Any one who says the O is GREAT is smoking something.
    The O line not getting it done consistently in pass pro (no QB does good running for his life), receivers are average at best. Running game pretty good.
    PENALTIES AAARRRGGGG INSANE!!! Start fining them or benching them if they can’t figure it out. The penalties are killing the team and will cost a game sooner or later.
    The Offensive STYLE of this team is to RUN THE BALL and have a QB that manages the game. If you don’t like it go root for the Saints, Patriots or whoever throws the ball to your liking.
    Whine Beyotch and moan about the QB and which guy is your guy and make bogus points to favor your argument all you want so your guy gets to play.
    Russel Wilson is the starting QB right now and he’s doing what the coaches chose him to do, manage the game.
    Is he making mistakes yep. Almost cost the game today but when he needed to he drove to score a TD. The Gripe He only had a short drive to score so he sucks. REALLY Boo hoo he got field position to do it SO WHAT, he scored when he had to with the situation he faced.

Now if the coaches choose to call better plays in the red zone early in the game and go for the win (TD) vs trying to not mess up(FG), we will continue to kick stinking field goals instead of scoring TD’s untill it’s a must do situation..
    Look at the calls in the game in the red zone when the game wasn’t on the line.
    Use the pass and run to get down the field, good mix of playcalling. As soon as they hit red zone safe mode goes into effect, run, run for nothing then 3rd and long come out with a stinking open back field and all the receivers run streak routs, TE stays in to block and nothings open because they always run the same stinking routes in the red zone and never any crossing routes early in the game why? Never a RB to block the blitzing Defender that is coming in this situation 98% of the time, thats just bad playcalling of the coaches not the QB.
    The only time the calls open up in the red zone are when we have to score a TD.
    COACHES need make the calls to score TD’s in the red zone early in the game and not be over cautious and play it safe until its a must situation.
    BIG Game this week
    PLAY TO WIN COACHES!!!
    GO SEAHAWKS!!!!

69. bbnate420 says:

ACIB is analogous to a rectal itch. Best to ignore it and hope it goes away! :-)