Carroll says OL James Carpenter will play vs. Rams

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 28, 2012 at 2:20 pm with 30 Comments »
September 28, 2012 2:20 pm

Seahawks offensive lineman James Carpenter made it through this week’s practice healthy, and will play for the first time this season on Sunday against the St. Louis Rams, head coach Pete Carroll said after practice today.

Carroll wouldn’t say if Carpenter would start, but he’s been working at left guard this week, and the team’s starting left guard for the first three week Paul McQuistan is capable of moving over to right guard.

Carpenter started at left guard the first game of the 2011 season against San Francisco, and then moved to right tackle when Robert Gallery was available in Week 2.

The Alabama product started eight games at right tackle before suffering an ACL knee injury during pass blocking drills in practice that required surgery last December.

Seattle starting right guard last week, John Moffitt, did not practice because of a knee issue he suffered in Monday’s game against Green Bay, and is doubtful for Sunday’s contest against St. Louis.

“I didn’t want to go on PUP,” Carpenter said. “I worked hard this whole offseason trying not to get on put. That was my motivation.

“I feel like I’m ready. Even though I was rehabbing, I was still watching film and doing technique and stuff, so I feel like I’m ready.”

Linebacker Leroy Hill did not practice for a second straight day, but Carroll said the plan is for the30-year-old veteran to play this week. Second-year pro Malcolm Smith is Hill’s backup. Hill is questionable for Sunday.

Right tackle Breno Giacomini returned to practice today after sitting out most of the week with a pectoral injury, and is expected to play on Sunday. Giacomini is listed as probable.

Along with Hill, defensive tackle Jaye Howard (foot) and tight end Anthony McCoy (groin) are questionable.

Howard did not practice today, after he got his foot stepped on in Thursday’s practice, according to Carroll. McCoy was a limited participant in practice today.

Defensive tackle Jason Jones (knee), defensive tackle Greg Scruggs (wrist), receiver Doug Baldwin (shoulder) and cornerback Byron Maxwell (hamstring) all fully participated in practice and are probable.

Seattle cornerback Brandon Browner was fined $7,875 by the league for unnecessary roughness. The NFL did not identify what play received the fine for.

For St. Louis, safety Matt Daniels (hamstring) and offensive tackle Rodger Saffold (knee) are out.

Defensive tackle Matt Conrath (knee) is doubtful. Defensive tackle Michael Brockers (ankle) and running back Steven Jackson (groin) are questionable.

Offensive tackle Wayne Hunter (ankle) did not practice and is questionable, but says he will play on Sunday. Hunter is expected to play left tackle for the Rams, with Saffold out.

Notes from practice
  1. Wayne Hunter at LT and Richardson at RT for the Rams. They might get abused worse than Newhouse and Bulaga did last Monday night. Clemons and Irvin like sharks smelling blood in the water.

2. MEhawkfan says:

If I had to guess, I would say Browner was likely fined for knocking Jennings on his butt on Monday night.

I sure hope you’re right about that, Stevos. I’m hoping the Hawks come out with a lot of intensity on both sides of the ball. This game is no gimme.

3. bird_spit says:

Browner played with a level of anger all day that a normal guy could not contain. I loved it. This D maybe my favorite D of all time. Hawks are right up there with the steel curtain, or the ravens or chi-town in my book. I also realize I’m a homer, but still, I’m thinking that we are seeing something special emerge.

4. bird_spit says:

I hope just one time this season we could have four games with a stable OL.

5. SandpointHawk says:

Four games is asking a lot, how about three….

6. Hammajamma says:

O-line depth has got to be the most underrated yet critical aspect to any successful team. If Carp can bring quality play up front, this could be an upper tier group.

I like him pass blocking inside rather than on the edge. He’s a mauler.

7. I’m very (and pleasantly) surprised about Carp at LG this early in the season.

8. montanamike2 says:

I hope Carp is ready to play guard in his first game back.

9. Yeah, agreed, we are fortunate to have all this depth on the O line.

I doubt Carpenter will be at his best after the long layoff that interrupted his rookie year, but its good to have him back. Sounds like if Moffitt doesn’t play then McQ, Carp and Sweeney might all split time at G? We’ll miss the heck out of Moffitt (who is becoming a really good run blocker) but I feel pretty good about all these talented maulers ready to step in.

Gotta keep pounding the rock.

10. bigmike04 says:

If seahawks need OL dept than they can signed Pat McQuistan who brother plays for Seahawks..

11. sluggo42 says:

Hey Eric, can you give these little videos more volume? I am all the way up and can barely hear it, and actually use earphones to understand what he is saying??
    thanks

Eric, Is this the same knee Moffitt injuried las year?

I’m excited to see Smith play. I’ve had an interest in him since he was drafted. When healthy, he’s been a capable special teams player and soild Will.

13. sluggo42 says:

Browner OWNED Jennings, it was like a man trying to fight a bear. It was over before it started, and one of the most beautiful moments of the year so far. Get ready for Carp to start dropping crap like that too. He is another mauler.

I love having a bad A$$ team of physical animals all ready for the killin!

WAR HAWKS

14. iHateHarbaugh says:

I truly think this whole MNF fiasco is going to rally this team, as if they don’t already play w/ agression. I wouldn’t wanna be the Rams this week… #12thMan

15. HawkfaninMT says:

I was at the Crads game, and I went in thinking that Clem and Irvin would eat that OL alive. they had a bunch of no-names on the OL and they stuffed our pass rush most of the game.

I am hopeful, but not overly excited about the matchups until the momentum gets going in the Ds favor.

16. “O-line depth has got to be the most underrated yet critical aspect to any successful team. ”

That’s a very good point.

Did Lutui end up making a roster anywhere?

17. Hammajamma says:

Lutui caught on with the Titans. Hasn’t seen the field yet.

18. Any news about fines for the whiney Packers?
    The rule used to be you dont question the Refs or you get fined. Just because they were replacements shouldn’t matter.
    Oh I forgot its ok because it is the football gods The Green Bay Packers so they can get away weith it.
    Want to find one of those huge giant sized pacifiers and send it to Aaron Rodgers what a crybaby.
    Hoping the NFL Refs don’t try to make ammends and give the Seahawks the extra job treatment making the superbowl look like a well officiated game.
    Hoping the Hawks go Kick the #$%^ out of the Rams. Time to pull the Training Wheels Pete.

19. Dukeshire: I don’t know if it’s Moffitt’s same knee that he injured last year.
    Sluggo42: I’ll make sure to turn up the volume on Sunday.

20. bird_spit says:

I think we all should pick one GB packer player or coach each, and sign them up for Huggies coupon mailing list. Some of these statements are unreal. I thought the people in Wis were tough. BobbyK, how are you listening to this BS over there?

21. While there are some Packer fans where I live here in MN, it really hasn’t been too bad. Most people I know root for the Vikings and dislike the Packers so they take enjoyment from any agony that the cheeseheads endure.

22. Sunday’s game is a serious division rivalry. Look for St. Louis to pull out all stops. They have a lot of good players on defense and a good defensive head coach. They will have all sorts of plays in place to contain RW. Meanwhile, Bradford aint no slouch. We should be able to stop the run. No reason for Steven Jackson to have a good game against us now. We’ve gotta blanket their receivers like we did vs. GB and rattle the shit outta Bradford. Hands up in the air. Three and out. This game comes down to our O-line doing their jobs, our wide receivers getting open, a good offensive game plan and play calling from Bevell, and half time adjustments.

Ok, so I’ve listed everything. I guess the point is: this is a big big game. Don’t even think of its being anything but a smashmouth battle all the way. We’re in a different division now. There will be NO easy games.

23. confucious says:

Agreed snappa. Parity is awesome!

24. jchawks08 says:

Yea that was a solid double leg takedown into a full mount by Browner. He just bullied him without swinging a punch. Jennings has to be embarrased about that one.

25. sluggo42 says:

no doubt, what size dress does he wear now anyways?? hahwhahwhwhwhahaha

26. montanamike2 says:

If we played the Rams at home i would have no doubt that we’d have a 20 point or more blowout, but since it’s in St. Louis i think we only win by 7-10 points. The pundits are finally giving Seattle’s D some credit, and a lot of people are saying GB lost that game in the first half. Imagine how many sacks we would have if they called all the holding in the second half. By seasons end our O-line will be really really good.
    Here’s to hoping for 6-8 more sacks against a broken o-line.
    GO HAWKS!!!!

27. psoundpowerhouse says:

The biggest question concerning me for sundays game?
    False start penalties against the seahawks.
    over or under 3? or..
    I’m leaning over 3. You gotta figure Okung alone is worth 2.

28. ruminator1 says:

I think lutui is doing well and may start this week.

29. If Moffitt was unfit to play,why did the Hawks play him? Did they bring him back too soon? i would rather have Moffitt start & Sweezy sub in.

30. bbnate420 says:

Browner was fined more than that POS Cole was last year. It’s weird how ending someones’ season only cost 7 grand.