James Carpenter Seattle’s starting left guard?

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 26, 2012 at 3:21 pm with 18 Comments »
September 26, 2012 3:22 pm

As he alluded to last week, Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll said that last year’s first round draft pick James Carpenter will play this week at left guard, which means that there could be some juggling around again on the offensive line this week.

Carpenter started at left guard the first game of the 2011 season against San Francisco, and then moved to right tackle when Robert Gallery was available in Week 2. So offensive line coach Tom Cable has seen Carpenter at both positions, and prefers him inside. And at left guard playing next to Russell Okung, the Seahawks have a chance to create a powerful, run-blocking combination they have not had since Walter Jones and Steve Hutchinson.

“We really thing the best place for him is to be inside and be a monster in there,” Carroll said. “We saw that last year, and we did both with him if you remember. And he feels most comfortable on the left side, just in his background.

“So you look at Russell and James together, that’s a great side for us if we can put this thing together. And it could happen this week, too.”

With Carpenter available at left guard, Paul McQuistan would move over to right guard. Carroll said that it makes sense to move McQuistan because of his ability to play four positions along the offensive line.

On the injury front, Carroll said that offensive tackle Breno Giacomini has a chest strain, and will have to be managed this week. Receiver Doug Baldwin is expected to play this week after sitting out of the Green Bay game with a shoulder injury.

Defensive lineman Greg Scruggs sprained his wrist and will be monitored this week, and the team also will see if cornerback Byron Maxwell can make it back on the field, after missing the last two weeks with a hamstring injury.

Carroll said that one of the things his team has to focus on this week is putting the Green Bay game in the rear view mirror.

“I think the point now is for us to understand that we have to find the discipline it takes to be turned into the next preparation,” Carroll said. “And that’s where we are right now. I know both sides, both teams have to do the same thing, regardless of what the outcome is.
“And it does take tremendous discipline to get that done. And so we have our weekly process that we go through that does get us back on track.”

Golden Tate, who’s been the center of attention nationally because of hi last-second touchdown catch, said he’s received a lot of message through social networks like Facebook and Twitter. And as you can imagine, a lot of the comments have not been positive.

“My feelings have been hurt a little bit on twitter, but it’s whatever,” Tate said.

And what have some of the comments been, Golden?

“If I mentioned those words, it’d be bleeps, bleeps bleeps,” Tate said with a smile. “Some nasty stuff – it’s mean. I’ve been called a cheater. I don’t have any dignity. I’m not a Christian – a lot of hurtful things. But I just pray on it and continue to live my life.”

Tate did say he felt vindicated by the league supporting the official ruling on the field.

“It’s refreshing to know that the NFL thinks they made the right call,” Tate said. “At the end of the day, that should clear up a lot of things because they’re the one who make the rules. So for them to go over it again and say it was a catch, it’s good to have that support.”

After the monster hit on Dallas linebacker Sean Lee and now the game-winning touchdown against Green Bay, one thing that Tate says is a positive that came out of all this is more Twitter followers.

“The best part is I think I moved up in followers like five or six thousand, so I’m kind of becoming a big deal here,” joked Tate.

1. bbnate420 says:

Good News.

Eric or Dave, do either of you have any sense of whether or not Walter Thurmond will be ready to start practicing week 7?

2. I’m not sure I like the idea of moving Carp in and moving McQ over to right. Personally I’ve thought tha MOffitt was doing a great job at right guard and I’ve noticed in the last two games they’ve given Sweezy a series in the 2nd qtr. So why make the McQ move? Is McQ that big of an upgrade? Or is Carp that big of an upgrade to force you to move McQ? I’m just not sure of the thinking behind these moves. I feel like we need to stay the course and let these guys gel some more.

3. So Moffit and Sweezy aren’t cutting it at RG and will be replaced by McQuistan? I gotta say I’m looking forward to seeing what Okung-Carpenter can do on the left side, although I’m afraid to imagine how many false starts they will tally up.

4. I don’t know that I like the move either. McQuistan has done a good job in my eyes, but I might be too focused on what he does as a run blocker and less as a pass protector. Has McQuistan really been that much of a liability in pass pro? It might explain some things.

I kind of figured that Mac had basically earned that spot, and that if Carp was going to get time at G then it’d be on the right side where we look so inconsistent at this point. I think Moffit is going to be a mainstay at one of the guard spots eventually, but he still looks to be a little bit behind the curve.

Then again, another year or two for Sweezy and he is potentially going to be a beast.

5. freedom_X says:

I listened to that part of the Carroll conference, and I didn’t think that Carroll was going to plug Carpenter in right away. Just that it was a plan. When asked if Carpenter was competing against McQuistan, Carroll said Carpenter was really competing against himself – whether he would be ready or not, was my interpretation.

So if Carpenter is deemed ready this week, he starts, but otherwise he just may see some action on some series, is how I understood it.

I’d like to think that changes wouldn’t be due to the fact that someone is woefully deficient, but that someone else is/can be better. No one on the line is playing like Walter Jones or Steve Hutchinson. (playing so well it’s unthinkable they couldn’t be beaten out or improved on.)

To me, Moffitt has played really well when in, at RG. I really dont understand the rotation between he and Sweezy.

Here’s hoping Carp hits the ground running.

7. piperfeltcher says:

Ya hope Carp can take over at LG and put McQ on the bench. I also think Moffitt has played well and should be playing all the snaps at this point.

8. Exclusive end-zone video of Tate’s catch:

Look at Tate’s left hand. It’s completely on the ball. This is so obviously a simultaneous catch. Look also at the exact moment the official raises his hand to signal the TD.

9. Helenahawk says:

This is the trenches, where guys get hurt lots. I would feel best with McQ and Omi as backup tackle and Sweeze as backup guard. That would be serious punch with little drop off if. …

10. gonefishin69690 says:

If I see Okung commit one more false start, I’ll personally kick his arse (I’ll try anyway)

11. Maybe the call was right. Looks like Jennings is the one doing the pulling. bit.ly/SmgQBw— Pete Prisco (@PriscoCBS) September 26, 2012

12. Hawksince77 says:

“With Carpenter available at left guard, Paul McQuistan would move over to right guard.”

I just watched the interview and that’s not what PC said. He was asked (by Eric I think) if McQuistan would move to right guard, and PC answered “Maybe” and then went on to point out that McQuistan can play any one of four positions on the line, and they would wait until later in the week to sort it out.

I just re-watched the interview, and Pete’s exact words in response to the question as to whether or not McQuistan might flip over to the right side, were, “He could.” He didn’t elaborate, but that’s not a “yes” so I would suggest that the right guard spot may not change. But it “could.”

13. I am a homer and i think the call should have been a int on the field. That being said I have seen this a hundred times and Tate makes a one handed catch and the videos prove that. Tate is not getting enough credit. If this is the worst call ever the six different videos would show it. Not one frame has tates left hand off the ball. The new video only helps this. Call me a homer or fool ,but I now think the call is not bad but good. Great job Mr. Tate now start going across the middle and earn tour next contract. You have a chance to be the next Hines Ward Wigout

14. jzulaski says:

This is an even better angle showing Tate catching the ball with his left hand BEFORE Jennings even touched it.

It also shows Tate putting his right hand on Jennings’ right hand, which is why Tate moved his right hand as they started to come down.

Tate caught the damn ball first!

Way to go, Golden!!!!

Regards,

Joe

15. Wow nice shot jz. That is a great angle

16. sluggo42 says:

the road grader… I always thought he should be at LG.. Monster time

17. PugetHawk says:

McQuistan is a back-up. He has maxed out his potential. Sweezy and Moffitt are only in the beginning stages of their growth so they should play. Penaties aside, the left side of the line has the “potential” to be great. Exciting.

18. bbnate420 says:

Great angle there. It looks like Tate has at least as much of the ball as Jennings does.

gonefishin69690, Okung would beat the pessimist out of you. :-)