Morning links: Seahawks focused on stopping Matthews

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 22, 2012 at 7:10 am with 23 Comments »
September 22, 2012 7:10 am
Green Bay outside linebacker Clay Matthews. (AP Photo/Mike Roemer)

In my offering this morning, Seattle head coach Pete Carroll and offensive tackle Breno Giacomini discuss how the Seahawks will go about containing Green Bay pass-rush specialist Clay Matthews.

The USC product Carroll coached while with the Trojans has a league-leading six sacks, and presents problems for offense because of his high motor.

Carroll said that Seattle will use a number of options to slow Matthews down, including keeping a tight end in to block, sliding the protection to Matthews’ side, and using a running back to chip the explosive pass rusher before going out on a passing route.

“You’ve just got to finish to the whistle,” Giacomini said. “That’s the thing with him. If you’ve seen a lot of his sacks, they’re just effort sacks. He just doesn’t stop. And I respect that. He’s a good player, and you’ve just got to keep playing with him, keep fighting him.”

Bucky Brooks of NFL.com says that Seattle’s defense is emerging as one of the league’s elite defenses. Brooks does a nice job of explaining the principles behind Seattle’s “over” and “under” fronts, using screen grabs from the All-22 film in Seahawks games against Arizona and Dallas.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com takes a closer look at the close bond between safety Earl Thomas and new cornerback Danny Gorrer.

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times writes that Seattle’s running game, led by Marshawn Lynch, has kicked into high gear. Lynch has rushed for at least 100 yards in seven of his last 11 games.

Gary Horton of Scouts Inc. breaks down the Seahawks-Packers matchup. Horton likes Seattle 23-17. You must be an ESPN Insider to view this.

Willie McGinest of the NFL Network ranks Seattle among his top five NFL defense in this video link.

Brian Baldinger, Shannon Sharpe and Donovan McNabb of NFL Network’s playbook preview the Seahawks-Packers contest in this video link.

Clark Judge of CBS Sports notes that Marshawn Lynch is shooting for his seventh straight home game with at least 100 rushing yards.

Weston Hodkiewicz of the Green Bay Press-Gazette reports that the Packers are hopeful that receiver Greg Jennings will play on Monday after being a limited participant in practice on Friday. Jennings is dealing with a groin injury.

ESPN’s John Clayton notes in his 1st and 10 that the NFC is 7-1 against the AFC this season, asserting its dominance early in 2012.

Morning links
  1. DreadHawks says:

I love seeing that some national guys are starting to jump on board. Strangely I have more confidence this week then I did last week. C’mon Hawks represent!!!

2. Breno is one of the last guys who should be talking about pass protection. He sure is a good/great run blocker though.

3. JMSeaTown says:

“Bob McGinn of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers is 0-4 in Monday night games on the road.”

Probably the most intriguing sentence. DreadHawks, agreed… What that defense did at home last week has a lot of people confident. Hope it doesn’t bite us…

4. Sparky12 says:

It’s gonna be a tough one! Romo’s receivers dropped a lot of catchable balls last Sunday. Would have made the outcome closer for sure. Aaron Rodgers gets hot and look out! Hopefully we can get some pass rush going this game. If the Seahawks special teams can contribute again, then perhaps we win by a TD or FG.

Can’t wait!!!

It’s fun to see them get on board, but all it will take is one loss for the wagon to empty.

6. NYHawkFan says:

I’m in Seattle this weekend. Anyone have any suggestions in how I might score a couple tickets? My pockets aren’t lined with gold, however. Even still, I’d prefer not to have to watch the game on TV.

I hope the Hawks aren’t overconfident following their big win last week. Also, with Flynn’s intimate knowledge of GB’s offense, I think we have a slight advantage, especially playing at home.

7. Yep, the national reports are much like us local fans. We swing low for a loss and high for a win. It’s going to take a great pass rush and a few turnovers to win this one Monday night. I almost expect to come down to whichever team makes the most “big” plays.

8. errr…”reporters” not “reports”

9. Just wish the Legion of Boom could knock the cheese outa Mathews, but I guess we gotta count on Tate(?)

10. NYhawkfan can always try craigslist

11. NYHawkFan says:

MauMau@ Thank you, I forgot all about craigslist. Any other suggestions are most appreciated. Good to be back in the Pacific Northwest!

12. sluggo42 says:

Matthews will be an interesting challange, different than Ware I think as he will be coming from more angles. He will be a guy that I will be watching for. I would like to think that they have a plan for that guy.

13. The Niners beat the Packers in Green Bay. The Seahawks should be able to handle them in Seattle, especially if the Beast continues to run well and the offense doesn’t turn the ball over. I’d give the Packers a 20 percent chance of winning.

NYHawkFan – I’ve always had success at the stadium on game day, oddly enough. You’ll find the scalpers, of course, but a lot of people who have an extra because someone bailed, too. Generally, those people aren’t looking to get over.

15. HaydenHawk says:

Can’t wait for this game to get going! John Gruden loves Russell Wilson; Gruden will really be talking him up pre-game, and every good play he makes during the game. If Wilson has a great game and leads us to victory, just wait and see the media attention the Hawks and especially Wilson will be getting. If we loose, and Wilson has a sub-par performance, then the media will be right back to treating our team as not worth talking about. Although our defense and running game are our strengths; and will be the main reason for winning or loosing this game; our success and popularity goes as Wilson goes. This is going to be a BIG test for Wilson. The more see and hear this guy, the more I believe he will shine in this game and put the Hawks on the map!

16. NYHawkFan says:

Dukeshire@ Thanks for the tip, much appreciated! Hope to make it, as it should be a great game. Go Hawks! Sluggo42 – I’m happy for you.

17. sluggo42 says:

Thank you NY. I wish you luck for tix. I agree, standing at the door at gametime you should probably find something. It’s scary tactic, but usually works…

18. This should make everyone feel good, as I know it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside!

19. sluggo42 says:

LOL Bobby,
    I love how his face is all rearranged in that perfectly timed snapshot. Kinda like when a bug hits your windshield at 65 MPH

20. This is still my favorite hit in Seahawks history:

21. I wonder if Tate can become SEA’s Largent of today?

Tate’s block last week is as close as he’ll ever get to being Steve Largent. lol

23. bbnate420 says:

They need a ballboy to go and hide Matthews’ roids. ;-)