Morning links: Rodgers gives props to 12th man

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 21, 2012 at 7:58 am with 17 Comments »
September 21, 2012 7:58 am
Green Bay Packers' Aaron Rodgers throws during the second half of an NFL football game against the Chicago Bears Thursday, Sept. 13, 2012, in Green Bay, Wis. (AP Photo/Jeffrey Phelps)

Dave Boling of The News Tribune notes that Green Bay quarterback Aaron Rodgers went out of his way during his teleconference with Seattle-area reporters to commend the fans of the Seattle Seahawks for the noise they create at CenturyLink Field.

Rodgers said that the Clink and Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City are the loudest outdoor stadiums in the league.

“Those fans are really intelligent; they know when to cheer,” Rodgers said. “They get so stinkin’ loud; they do a really good job of giving the defense that advantage when we have to go on some silent counts or when we’re trying to communicate with each other.”

In my story today, Matt Flynn has adjusted to being the backup in Seattle after signing in free agency in March as the expected starter. “Initially, it was a shock to him,” Seattle offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell said. “He took it like any quarterback you would hope took it. He wasn’t happy about it. It wasn’t how he expected it to go, or how he saw it in his mind, so he wasn’t happy.
“But once he moved on from that, I think he’s been great for Russ (rookie starter Russell Wilson). … He’s helping out any way he can from the sideline.”

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com writes that the play of Seattle’s special teams could be a determining factor in the outcome of the Monday night game against Green Bay.

Steve Kelly of the Seattle Times writes that the Seahawks offensive line continues to play solid after injuries to Russell Okung and John Moffitt at the start of the season.

Dave Boling of The News Tribune and Jerry Brewer of The Seattle Times join KJR’s Hugh Millen and KJR’s Mitch Levy in this week’s Seahawks roundable in this audio link.

Peter Schrager of Fox Sports brings up an interesting point about the replacement officials – they’re having an affect on the bottom line on gambling in Las Vegas.

Pete Dougherty of the Green Bay Press-Gazette has some interesting comments from an NFC scout on Seattle’s quarterback situation.

Tom Silverstein of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel reports that Green Bay receiver Greg Jennings suffered a setback with his groin injury and did not practice on Thursday.

Michael Hunt of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel says that Russell Wilson keeps passing tests each time he’s challenged.

Jennifer Toland of the Worcester Telegram reports that tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. chose not to discuss the reasons for his release in his first remarks to reporters after joining New England on a one-year deal this week. “I think every day you have to prove yourself,” Winslow said. “With what happened in Seattle, I can’t say much about what happened. It is what it is and I have to move on.”

Morning links
  1. Over under 2.5 flubbed calls? I’d probably go with the over each week. What bothers me the most is the incredibly long delays from the booth reviews to the 10 minute long discussions to try to figure out the correct ruling. That Falcon/Broncos game was incredibly painful to watch… 1st quarter lasted over an hour.
    Nice to see Seattle getting some more respect around the country, a win Sunday and we might get Seahawk news fatigue? Not sure we’ve ever had that outside of the Superbowl or when we made the playoffs at 7-9. Good god I was tired of hearing people whine about that, which made it extra sweet to beat dem Saints.

3. hawkfan777 says:

We all know how loud the 12th man can be. Anytime you can make so much noise that is shows up as an earthquake you are making a lot of noise. I hope this Mondays noise makes the noise on that Lynch playoff run pale in comparison.

It will be a big game and I have no doubt that the 12th man can greatly affect whether it is a close game or a blowout. Go Hawks!

4. Rodgers is just trying to make the fans feel complacent, take things for granted, and not give it their best effort on Monday. Don’t let it get to your heads, Seahawks fans! Don’t just sit back, munch on your hot dogs and expect the stadium to be loud. :-)

5. chuck_easton says:

I like the fact that all the media is saying exactly what we have known here for some time. Flynn did nothing to lose the job. Wilson just took the job and won’t let go. Not Flynn’s fault but good on Wilson.

And at the end of the day the team and the fans are better of for the current situation.

If Wilson keeps developing as we hope the team will very likely do right by Flynn and arrange a trade to a QB needy team before 2013.

6. “I know people will point to the money and say they can’t feel sorry for him, but from my perspective, it’s hard not to feel for Flynn. It’s the nature of the game and all that, but you know he’s disappointed. I’m glad to read he’s handling it like a professional.”

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing.

Feels like he didn’t quite get the real shot at being the starter that he expected. Pre-season starts aren’t the same as real games, and I didn’t think Flynn did anything to lose the job. But, he did get beaten out by another guy, and it’s a competetive league, so it is what it is.

7. AndrewSleighter says:

Couldn’t agree with Canfan more. Rodgers is attempting to pacify the 12th Man by blowing smoke up its ass. I implore all Seahawks beat writers to cast aside their journalism ethics and just print this as a Rodgers quote.

“I don’t think noise will be a factor. It’s an outdoor stadium, in fact, I don’t even think we’ll need a silent count. Plus, they only support their team up there if they think they’re going to the Superbowl or something. They’re not real fans. In fact, I’m gonna not only go ahead and guarantee a victory. I’ll guarantee we don’t false start once.”

8. Bevell has to open the Offensive Playbook with aarray of plays..He`s goin to have to prove he is a decent OC.(I`m just alittle skeptical) listening to the round table I disagree Special Team Play is just as important as the Offense & Defense..it`s called a Total Team Consept. The game will be great. Now we`ll see how close we are compared to a Elite Team…Defense sets-up Offense,Special Team bring it!! Go Hawks!!!!

9. HawkyHann says:

I’m surprised no journalist has written an article about how pathetic and horrible Jake Locker has playerd. Mind blowing they haven’t went back to Hasselbeck. I’ve said since college that Jake has no accuracy and throws like a baseball player. I’m sooooo glad we’ve Danger Russ, who does sit in the pocket and throws accurate passes.

10. ruminator1 says:

too early to write off the Titan’s leading rusher. One thing for sure–he hasn’t had a lot of time. the Titans have a horrible O line. In addition, 2 of his leading receivers have been out. I have read several articles criticizing him, but they always end with “we need to play the decision through.” So for the next many games Locker will be the starter.

11. sluggo42 says:

AR knows it’s coming, and he is just admitting that he knows it. He only speaks the truth. There will be no shortage of noise unless GB somehow runs the score to an ugly state early on, that is the only way we are quiet. But somehow I just don’t see that happening. Maaybe last year, or two years ago, but they are no longer unbeatable….

Seeing how Wilson grows and develops will be a far greater measure of Bevell’s ability as an OC than a given games playcalling, IMO. They have a responsibility to craft game plans that Wilson is capable of executing and yet are complex enough to exploit a specific defense’s tendencies. That’s no easy feet with a rookie QB under center. So, I have to say for all the criticism Bevell has take here, he deserves credit for getting Wilson to this point, so far.

13. JazBadAzz says:

What point Duke? He hasn’t done anything of significance since the games mattered.

The first sentence is my point.

15. JazBadAzz says:

Thats fine and dandy but it what does your last sentence mean is my point?

To the point where a 3rd round rookie QB not only won the starting spot but has improved and played capably in his first two starts, if unspectacularly.

17. PugetHawk says:

Did you guys read this scouting report that the Packer’s scouts gave a reported in Milwaukee?

Says Earl is undiciplined, Jason Jones is the second best lineman behind Clemons, and that the corners aren’t very physical amongst other things. Hilarious! The only thing they hit the nail on the head with is Red Bryant’s body image haha.