Morning links: Kellen Winslow to sign with New England

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 18, 2012 at 8:23 am with 39 Comments »
September 18, 2012 8:23 am

Seattle Seahawks tight end Kellen Winslow (82) catches a touchdown pass during the first half of an NFL preseason football game against the Kansas City Chiefs in Kansas City, Mo., Friday, Aug. 24, 2012. (AP Photo/Ed Zurga)

Looks like Kellen Winslow Jr. will not be returning to Seattle.

James Walker of ESPN reports that according to a source, Winslow has agreed to a one-year deal with the New England Patriots, and is in town today to sign the deal.

Winslow will give New England depth at the tight end position, with Aaron Hernandez suffering an ankle injury that will have him out a few weeks

Winslow visited the Patriots to weeks ago. It was initially reported that he failed a physical with New England, but ESPN’s Adam Shefter disputed that report.

A surprise release by Seattle during final roster cuts over what appeared to be an unwillingness to take a pay cut, Seattle head coach Pete Carroll never closed the door on Winslow returning.

However, the Seahawks seem content so far with a Evan Moore, who’s younger and has a similar skill set to Winslow.

Tyler Dunne of the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel pens this feature on Russell Wilson, talking with receiver Doug Baldwin and Carroll about how the rookie quarterback seized control of the position. “The quarterback position is such a highly touted position that everybody looks to that person as the leader of the team,” Baldwin said. “They look to that person in times of adversity to lead the team in the right direction. He’s done that in the short amount of time he’s been here and he’s doing a fantastic job of it.”

Wilson is a nominee for NFL rookie of the week. You can vote for him here.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com takes a look back at Sunday’s Cowboys game. What he liked – better pass protection, less penalties and the rise of the NFC West. What needs work – First half offense, third down defense and the pass rush.

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times writes that the performance of tight end Anthony McCoy stood out on Sunday.

The Seahawks are No. 16 in this NFL.com power poll.

Will Brinson of CBS Sports notes that NFC West teams performed well in Week 2.

Pete Prisco of CBS Sports has seen the light. He moves Seattle up 11 spots to No. 11 in his power rankings.

ESPN’s Ashley Fox writes that the replacement officials’ performance in the Broncos-Falcons game sunk to a new low in Week 2, and the league faces a credibility issue if they don’t get a deal done with the regular officials soon. Fox: “It all was ugly and embarrassing for the league and commissioner Roger Goodell, whose stated mission since becoming commissioner has been to protect the league’s image and value player safety. He has done such strong work in both areas, paying close attention to personal conduct, player safety and concussion awareness. It means something to him. Which is why what transpired inside the Georgia Dome was so unfortunate. It sullied the shield. Officials looked weak and lost. Players looked overly aggressive. Broncos coach John Fox looked like a whiner.”

Morning links
  1. SandpointHawk says:

Looks like you can vote for Wilson multiple times. GeorgiaHawk, your day is shot…

2. FleaFlicker says:

Speaking of Tight Ends…really interesting breakdown of the 3 TE set over on the Field Gulls:

Danny Kelly also notes a few learning points for our young QB.

3. RDPoulsbo says:

Anyone remember the argument about refs during the offseason? More than ever, I feel officiating is the weakest link in the protection of the NFL’s brand and they they’ve just been ignoring the problem even when they had the regular officials.

4. chuck_easton says:

I don’t mind the scrutiny the replacement refs are getting. That is as long as the regular refs get the same treatment when they return.

My view is the replacement refs are doing as good a job as the regular refs did in most games, it’s just the media and the NFLPA are quick to point out every little mistake.

I bet if the regular refs were under the same microscope we’d see that they are only slightly better.

5. seahawk44 says:

Kellen Winslow will be back in Seattle in about a month, but wearing a different jersey.

6. I agree with chuck_easton about the refs.

That game last night was egregious. The refs missed the spot of the ball, after a penalty, by 11 yards. 11! The officiating has been simply awful this preseason and early regular season. As far as I can tell, the replacement refs are in fact receiving the same treatment the regular one got. And deservedly so.

8. RDPoulsbo says:

The replacement refs are just plain embarrassing. That’s not to say the regular refs were good either. Officiating is a much bigger problem than the league wants to admit. This is why I’d like to see it made into a full time job where they spend the middle of the week going over film and communicating with the different crews so there isn’t such a wide variance between them.

9. gonefishin69690 says:

McBane, I agree too. Poor officiating has been problematic over the last few seasons, and here in Seattle, we know all about that don’t we? And those hacks want more money? Have seen too many times a yellow flag is pulled for something the ref “might” have seen. Either you see it or you don’t.

10. ChrisHolmes says:

@FleaFlicker – that was awesome. Thanks for that read.

I know KW Jr. is a dynamic TE, but I really liked the way McCoy played on Sunday. The TD pass was a thing of beauty.

11. chuck_easton says:

Only one real solution for the ref problem, now and in the future when we once again have regular refs.

Do what NHL does. Every game is being watched at NHL headquarters in Toronto. If the officials in Toronto see something, they buzz the on-ice official who has to make the call to HQ. It is actually the guys in Toronto who make the decision to overturn or confirm what was called on the ice.

That would fix things. A ref makes a bad call, or misses a call, the head ref gets buzzed. He goes over and gets on the headset to NFL HQ. The regular group of officials that are monitoring every game will then make the decision and tell the head ref what that decision is.

If the Seahawks go to the SuperBowl I want the regular Refs because I think they are so much better! Lol.

I agree with Chuck, and I watched the whole Arizona Pats game. The replacement refs in that game did a fine job. So why aren’t we hearing about that?

13. HeinieHunter says:

Credit where credit is due department: McCoy played well vs Dallas and so did Tate, who made 3 key catches and the “block heard round the world”.

I’m not saying the replacement refs are overall better then the regular ones, but let’s not get carried away with creating this illusion of such a wide gap between the two that simply doesn’t exist,imo.

15. bbnate420 says:

Chuck, with all due respect, I totally disagree about the performance of the replacement refs. Their performance is just pathetic. Probably to be expected given they are in a tough situation, but I don’t care. It seems they don’t even know the rules sometimes. They might be worse than college refs right now, although they have a better replay system in college IMO which helps them. Get the regular refs back. Their money is peanuts compared to the money the players and especially the owners get. Just because the regular refs are far from perfect, that doesn’t mean that they are as bad as this level of mediocrity. It seems you have a tendency to be biased against the NFLPA, so this may color your view IMO. The refs have a very difficult job, none of us could come close to what they do, and it should be full-time and well paying. The regular NFL refs aren’t perfect, but they are the best football refs in the world.

Where I would agree with you is that the replay system needs to be overhauled. I think that is by far the bigger problem than the skill level of the refs. They are people. They are going to make mistakes. They should have a separate replay official or 2 that monitor every play and make the final call. It’s biased and time wasting to have the head ref come to the sideline to watch replays. There should be some level of division between the regular and replay refs. That would make them more likely to overturn calls and not worry about contradicting their buddies, even if it is just subconscious. The replay officials could also have contact with someone at the NFL Head Office, like in your NHL analogy. Someone like a Mike Periera on Fox that reviews the officiating questions for them during the games.

16. bbnate420 says:

Georgia, you don’t hear about the Pats-Tards game because that’s not how people grade refs. Refs are like O-lineman. Generally, the less you hear about them, the better they are. An O-lineman can’t say well I stopped the DE on 37 of the 40 passing plays. It was only those other 3 where he got sacks. You have to be close to 100% in pass protection as an O-lineman, and getting a hit 30% of the time in baseball makes you an all-star. Just different expectations.

Cris Carter made the same argument as Ashley Fox. Goddell always talks about protecting the shield, but this is just embarrassing and he is letting it happen. I believe that most of the fans feel that it is embarrassing like I do. Most of the analysts I have seen seem to think that way, and they aren’t usually people that wantonly criticize the NFL. Steve Young said it doesn’t matter because the fans won’t make the NFL pay monetarily for not having the regular refs. He is right. Money talks and bullspit walks. I would like to see a boycott this Sunday. It’s okay for us because we play Monday. Fans not watching the games, streaming the games, going to the games, or buying any merchandise. Half empty stadiums would sent a message. I know it won’t happen. A man can dream, right? *)

17. chuck_easton says:

bbnate,

I’m not saying the replacement refs haven’t been bad. I’m just saying it is my opinion that the regular refs are only slightly better.

I give the replacement refs some leeway as they are new to the NFL rules which differ greatly from college.

I still think the regular refs, if put under the same microscope as the replacement refs would score only a little better.

Lol SandpointHawk, I actually voted for Johnny Hekker. I was going to vote for Richardson however after reviewing his weird dive in the end zone I had to give it to the Rookie that out played last weeks rookie of the week.

19. sluggo42 says:

I think they suck too. They miss all the subtle calls, and really lose control of the games quickly. Cleaner played games make them seem ok, but they are a far cry from competent.

There is SOOOO much money in the game, the real refs should be compensated to the point of it being a full time job. They should be required to work in the industry all year round. They should be graded. They should be physically fit. They should be required to watch film. They should work 40 hours a week. It should be a full time profession. The top rated refs should get the playoff games, they should be graded on a weekly basis on how well they did their jobs.

With so much money on the game, the refs should be the absolute best they can be. The NFL cheaping out on this component is rediculous. Why create a weak link?

There should be a finite number of positions. there should be an on-going continuing education program in place. THey should have all travel/hotels paid. THey should all make a solid wage, like $100K a year or something. How much I don’t know.

It shouldn’t be that hard to figure out all of the specifics to be required to have that job. If they fail to score out sufficiently over a certain amount of time, then they get cut, and a new one gets in.

Why have a weak link that comprimises the game where billions of $$ is on the line. Shame on the NFL for not getting this resolved immediately…

20. RDPoulsbo says:

Remember that this whole ref lockout issue is about $500k per team, or about 0.001% of league revenues. That is not much more than what the league pays for drug tests. Both are extremely important to protecting the League’s integrity. I can’t think of a better case of the league being penny-wise but pound foolish.

21. sluggo42 says:

Steve Sabol RIP

22. bbnate420 says:

Very good points, RD and sluggo.

Chuck, I guess we just see them differently. From what I have seen, the replacement refs are substantially worse than the regular refs. We just see different things. Even if they were just as good, that’s not the perception of the majority of the people out there. Even if the perception isn’t reality, the reactions to that perception can have real consequences. The peanuts they are arguing over are not nearly worth the bad press they are getting. It just paints the owners in a bad light. Might not have immediate economic consequences. It could sway some peoples’ opinion of the owners that were on the fence. They may have less support next time they lock the players out.

23. bbnate420 says:

RIP, Steve Sabol.

Saw that a Sabol had died, and I figured it was his father. Forgot that he was diagnosed with brain cancer. Him and his father had a huge part in what the NFL is today. I can remember watching NFL Films programs on ESPN all the time when I first got into watching the NFL. Learned a lot of history and developed an appreciation of the game. Just goes to show you that we don’t have any time promised to us. Didn’t expect him to go before his 96 year old father.

I agree with Chuck again. The lesser of two evils, only not to that extreme.
    I gotta say though I wouldn’t want their job. First they dress them up in these funny prisoner looking type uniforms for all the world to see, then they throw them out to the Lions den, ( so to speak ) with some of the worlds biggest, baddest, fastest, strongest, atheletes that have them totally out numbered and some how they are supposed to see all twenty two players every play and make the right call every time.
    And if they don’t,(make the right call every time) not only do they get it by the players, but also the coaches, the announcers and every fan in the stadium.

If they make through all that, they still have to go home and face their wives.

25. sluggo42 says:

It’s a multi-billion dollar industry, why cheap out on the refs? They are the people who keep order among the total chaos, and you need the best.

Why wouldn’t you want the best?? How many holding calls were missed against us?? I saw at least 3 or 4 myself! It was criminal!

I find this situation to be insulting to us fans, as well as the players. It’s totally senseless and it pisses me off each and every time I see one more shitty call or no-call. There is no consistency, and the players are taking everything to the extreme to see what they can get away with. It’s like an ugly baby-sitter, the kids push it to the absolute limit cuz they don’t even have a nice rack to look at to keep them in line…nothing!

26. rramstad says:

How about striped armbands at games to show support for the regular officials? Or something similar?

Good article from Tyler Dunne.

I’ve been waiting to hear some thoughts from Baldwin, ( my favorite Seahawk ) about Wilson and how he fits in with the team. Especially since Baldwin has now played with both Luck and Wilson.

From Baldwin-

“Russell won the starting job and that’s how it is,” Baldwin said. “It’s not a bad thing for us because we have two very, very, very talented quarterbacks in Flynn and Russell Wilson. It’s a positive for us. Obviously, everybody wants to be able to play and wants to be able to make an impact in the game, so it’s difficult at times. (Flynn) handled it in stride and it’s best for the team as a whole.”

Too bad they couldn’t find away to get both Flynn and Wilson on the field at the same time.
    I do think Flynn will get his chance down the road, ( and be sucessful) with another team if he doesn’t want to continue backing up.

Glad Flynn is on this team, however it’s hard to feel sorry for a guy that is making most all the money at our qb position and not have the pressure that the starter has. How many backups in the NFL are that lucky?
    And how lucky are we to have two good qbs. Night and day from last year.

28. grizindabox24 says:

Lockette released

29. chuck_easton says:

We are very lucky to have two good QB’s. Flynn will likely get at least one start this season. The odds of a QB going the entire season in the NFL have greatly diminished.

We also need to see Wilson continue to progress. If he appears to hit the wall, and it becomes an issue, the team could still very well go with Flynn in the event there is a chance at a playoff position. Flynn has to stay ready.

I’m not saying replace Wilsion. He is our starter. But if the team feels that he isn’t continuing to grow each week I don’t think the call to Flynn is as remote as many on here feel.

Seattle needs to finish this season strong. If Wilson is developing as we all hope, and he stays injury free we ride him.

It is my opinion that Flynn will start a game or a few games before the season is done.

30. Seahawks2620 says:

The Danny Gorrer addition could be a pretty Big steal for us. He is a solid player, big hitter as well.

31. owenbytheway says:

Yes, I blew it as sure as my nose on a moist winter day when I certified that Mr. Winslow would be re-signed immediately after the first regular season game by the the Hawks.

After the Arizona bump, I figured they would still re-sign him.

Well, it appears he had a contingency deal, but it was with New England.

I still haven’t sorted out how he didn’t pass his physical, then there were claims he did pass their physical, and now, it seems he passed another physical with them, N.E., not us.

There are some things i will never understand, and, if the release by the Hawks was for money, gets added to my long list. There was more to it, but we may never find out what the real issue was.

But it’s moot now.

32. As noted on the broadcast last night, it’s not the officiating that is so terrible, as much as it is the administration of the officiating.

The replacements do not have the leadership that the regular head referee’s bring. IMO, that is where the biggest falloff has been. The current head ref’s are (for the most part) not capable of administering the game well enough.

33. I have to wonder if the ‘real’ refs would not have penalized Tate for his block on Lee. It was a clean and great block IMO (but am just a fan and might be incorrect). Would the ‘real’ refs have flagged Tate out of a perhaps more trained reaction- and as it yet stands -possibly incorrectly. It wouldn’t have changed the outcome of the game but it would’ve dampened an awesome part of it and had that all too familiar feeling of rarely getting good calls..

34. DanielleMND says:

“The refs missed the spot of the ball, after a penalty, by 11 yards. 11!”

That’s just flat out bad, even for replacement refs. I mean, they’ve been refs at the college level, so getting a spot that wrong is inexcusable.

35. yankinta says:

Do we know how much money he got from the Pat??

I think we were offering around 1 Million to sign with us….