TNT NFL power rankings — Week 2

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 15, 2012 at 11:08 am with 91 Comments »
September 15, 2012 11:08 am

I dropped the Seattle Seahawks from No. 13 to No. 21 in this week’s The News Tribune power rankings.

Don Banks of Sports Illustrated puts Seattle at No. 18, down from No. 12.

ESPN’s NFL experts rank Seattle at No. 26.

Elliott Harrison of NFL.com has Seattle at No. 22, down from No. 15 last week.

Pete Prisco of CBS Sports has Seattle at No. 22.

Brian Billick of Fox Sports puts Seattle at No. 28, down four slots from No. 24 last week.

1. Baltimore (1) (1-0): Joe Flacco’s sizzling right arm gives the Ravens more balance on offense.

2. New England (2) (1-0): At least for one week, Patriots’ defense looks improved, giving up only 284 yards to Tennessee in Week 1.

3. San Francisco (4) (1-0): Niners haven’t committed a turnover in six consecutive regular-season games dating to last season, the second-longest streak in NFL history.

4. Houston (7) (1-0): Texans DE J.J. Watt has seven passes batted at the line of scrimmage in 17 regular-season games over the past two years.

5. Philadelphia (6) (1-0): Mike Vick needs to play up to his potential for Eagles to reach the playoffs.

6. Green Bay (3) (1-1): Even though they handled the Bears, I’m still not convinced this defense is any better than last year.

7. Atlanta (9) (1-0): Lots of hype over Matt Ryan and the Falcons’ hurry-up offense, but let’s not anoint him the next Peyton Manning yet; he still has not won a playoff game.

8. Detroit (11) (1-0): Lions QB Matthew Stafford has a chance to set an NFL record by completing his fifth straight 350-yard passing day against San Francisco.

9. Dallas (12) (1-0): Unlike his twin brother, N.Y. Jets head coach Rex Ryan, Cowboys defensive coordinator Rob Ryan is letting his defense do the talking.

10. N.Y. Giants (5) (0-1): Super Bowl champs looking to redeem themselves against visiting Bucs after tough loss at home against Cowboys.

11. Denver (14) (1-0): So far, Peyton Manning is emphatically answering questions about his health with his impressive play on the field.

12. San Diego (16) (1-0): Philip Rivers takes on the Titans at Qualcomm Stadium, where he has a 37-11 record at home.

13. Pittsburgh (10) (0-1): Steelers have won nine straight home openers, and host the Jets in Week 2.

14. Tampa Bay (25) (1-0): Bucs held the Panthers to a league-low 10 rushing yards in Week 1.

15. N.Y. Jets (21) (1-0): Jets offense finally got on track in Week 1 win over the Bills.

16. Washington (28) (1-0): Robert Griffin III will see if he can duplicate his impressive Week 1 performance on the road against the Rams.

17. Chicago (17) (1-1): Jay Cutler reminding folks that a rocket arm isn’t the only requirement for a franchise QB – poise and leadership count more.

18. New Orleans (8) (0-1): The Saints are looking to avoid starting the season 0-2 for the first time since 2007 – the last time New Orleans finished with a below .500 record (7-9).

19. Cincinnati (14) (0-1): Bengals host Cleveland in the battle of Ohio. The Bengals swept the series last year.

20. Arizona (23) (1-0): Kevin Kolb once again has to prove he can produce when the pressure’s on.

21. Seattle (13) (0-1): Hawks hoping the addition of receiver Golden Tate can help spark the offense.

22. Minnesota (26) (1-0): Adrian Peterson was impressive in his debut just over nine months after ACL knee surgery, finishing with 84 yards and 2 TDs in a win over the Jags.

23. Carolina (18) (0-1): Defenses look more prepared for Cam Newton the second time around.

24. Buffalo (19) (0-1): Early returns are not promising for high dollar Bills defensive end Mario Williams.

25. Tennessee (20) (0-1): Jake Locker proves his toughness once again; he set to play with a separated shoulder on his non-throwing arm against the Chargers.

26. Oakland (22) (0-1): Raiders need to resolve their long-snapper issue before they travel to Miami.

27. Kansas City (24) (0-1): Jamaal Charles is averaging 7.4 yards per carry in four games against Buffalo, today’s opponent.

28. Jacksonville (27) (0-1): Top 10 draft pick QB Blaine Gabbert looks improved in his second season.

29. St. Louis (31) (0-1): Rams head coach Jeff Fisher is going young; he kept 17 rookies on this year’s roster.

30. Miami (29) (0-1): The Dolphins still don’t have a true, No. 1 receiver for rookie QB Ryan Tannehill.

31. Indianapolis (30) (0-1): Andrew Luck looks as good as advertised, but he’ll still have growing pains against NFL-caliber talent.

32. Cleveland (32) (0-1): Brandon Weeden will only get better, but it might not be in time to save Mike Holmgren’s job.

NFL rankings
  1. My opinion is that the Seahawks are still a better team than Arizona, I feel they have better talent and more upside. They were in position to win the game and should have won on the road. My prediction is that we will beat Arizona in a way that leaves little doubt who the better team is when we see them at home. However the reality is that these power rankings are meaningless, but I think dropping the hawks 7 spots and other analysts having the hawks near the bottom is an over reaction to a road loss against a divisional oppoonant who really played well (near their ceiling) and I think the hawks really did under perform.

2. SandpointHawk says:

On paper we may very well be a better team. That said Arizona plays like a team. They have gone 8-2 over their last 10 games. The Seahawks need to come together as a team like they did in 2005. That is the special ingredient that wins championships.

3. Sparky12 says:

Hawks beat the Cowpies, 23 to 17, and jump back to 15 or so in the rankings next week. Then we hand GB a loss on Monday Night Football and we are 12.

Lets roll Seahawks, and poop on the power rankings!

4. Hawks arent a better team than the Cards until we beaten them twice in a row. Its now at least three times in a row we’ve lost to AZ. Twice with thier backup qb SKelton, who can only beat us.

AZ out-gameplanned, out-executed, out-toughed, out-coached, and out-played Seattle across the board. Face it, at least for now they are very much the better team.

I agree, on paper we are one of the top-10 teams in football. Id rather BE a top-10 team with less talent than have talent and underperform.

I really like Carrol, but the fact is if he doesnt win soon and organize his teams performance better, some other coach will win big with the team he and Schneider built. And JS will still be GM. Unless things turn around soon, Carrol will be lucky to see another season here. And that would really bum me out, since I really like so much about him and his coaching style.

Ive said it before, after failing with his OC Bates, then bringing in Rice and T-Jack, Carrol tied his fate to Bevell. Then he gave the top two picks in the draft to Cable and stuck with the ZBS. Carrol will succeed or fail on the performance of Bevell and Cable.

If Carrol doesnt succeed, I will always wonder What Might Have Been, if he’d bailed on the ZBS and hired anyone but Bevell.

A large reason for my frustration is how much I loathe the Cowturds. I cant stand another blowout to them with Jones plastic face all smiley…I’ll baaaarf!

5. To be clear when you say facts you do mean opinion correct? I respect your opinion, but I do not take it as facts. A fact is that the seahawks lost on the road to a divisional opponent by 4 points. My opinion is that Carol and Schneider have done a great job and will be given more time beyond this season regardless of the outcome. With that said, let’s beat the Cowgirls and we won’t have to have that discussion.

6. bird_spit says:

STTBM wrote
    “The good news is it doesnt matter how you look early on, its how you finish. As long as we qualify for the playoffs and are playing solid football at the end of reg season this agony wont mean a thing.”

That is the best comment of the week..great one to consider until game time Sunday. Hawks have an early must win game on Sunday for pride, and home field advantage.

7. ChrisHolmes says:

My girlfriend has a great saying when it comes to dating men: Never fall in love with a guy’s “potential”.

I think that’s what’s happened with us Seahawks fans and this team. We’ve fallen in love with their potential. But until they DO it, they’re just another team.

I like what we have on paper. There certainly looks like a lot of potential there. But only through the heat of battle are they going to reach that potential. They have to play games and learn from their mistakes and grow as a team. We’re young. It’s too much to expect us to be as good as our potential right away. These things take time.

The Hawks grew as a team last season. From start to finish, they grew. I think that’s a great sign, and I think it’s something a PC coached team can do well because he’s a college coach and in college you win by growing over the course of a season.

If we grow again this year like we grew last year, I’ll be happy. It would be nice to have a good enough record to make the playoffs, but I still think we’re a year or two away from reaching our potential.

Wilson is a rookie, after all. Rookie QB’s rarely take their franchise to the Superbowl the first year.

Look at Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco – they’re in what, their fourth or fifth year now? That’s when these kids come into their own and become the franchise QB you expect them to be.

If Wilson reaches his potential in year 4 we’re all going to be screaming at the top of our lungs…

8. Bird_spit – Agreed. STTBM – sorry if I sounded a little snarky in my comment.

9. jmreid8–No problem. Snarkiness is certainly allowed!

I think its safe to call it fact that Bevell’s gameplan was exactly what everyone was afraid it would be–too conservative to achieve anything but a loss. Playing not to lose doesnt win too many football games.

With all the money wrapped up in guys like Okung, Carp, Lynch, Rice, Miller, etc I expect more from this offense. True, money doesnt always buy peformance, but it should help. So far, it hasnt.

Our offense is performing in the bottom 8 in the league; I dont see why we coulndt achieve this level of futility with half the salary we’re at now, leaving even more money to add dudes like Mario Williams or Chris Carr…If the offense is gonna suck with all this money, why not gut it and spend the money on Special Teams or Defense?

ChrisHolmes–I apologize for beating a dead horse, but Carrol has had three offseasons and two full seasons to address the offensive line, and its worse than last years. He hasnt fixed it yet, despite trying. Wilson could be a future HOFer in his prime, and if the O-line plays half as badly as last week, we’ll still lose and he will still look bad.

I thought the Hawks faltered badly the last month of the season last year, and was disappointed. And it seems to have carried over.

Another thought, if all we’re gonna use Miller for is blocking, why not just bring in a Tackle eligible?; Omiyale has got to be a better blocker than Miller, and no defense is gonna worry about Miller as a receiver until we fix our blocking problems.

ChrisHolmes – Your girlfriend is smart, and it’s hard to dissgree with your post.

IMO, we dont know who this team is, certainly not after one game. It was a deflating loss considering an offseason of hyoe. But should they win tomorrow, let’s all remember that they’re not as good as we’ll be saying.

11. I think the Rams are better than anyone seems to think. Fisher will have them playing disciplined, hard-nosed football. And Bradford IS a franchise qb, and I think he will show that this year.

Gibson isnt a bad receiver at all-he’s better than anyone we have except Rice, and he’s outplaying Rice thus far. And their defense is pretty good. Even thier supposedly bad secondary looks vastly improved over last year. They damn near beat the lions, and they Lions are pretty good this year.

Seattle has a lot of improvement to do unless they want to be cellar-dwellers.

After last weeks debacle, Im not getting my hopes up until we’ve played three good solid games in a row. I dont mean we have to win three games in a row, just play solid football three weeks running.

I keep catching myself dreaming of our offensive line actually blocking someone, and Rice and Miller looking like their supposed to….Just Imagine…

12. bird_spit says:

Glad you think Bradford is a stud. I watched that Detroit game, and the comparisons of RWs performance to Bradford’s…well in short, I’ll take RW every Sunday. I’m glad we have him. I would not trade for Bradford. I don’t think the rams should worry, he is in his 3rd year, and is just coming into a vet status, but RW already, my opinion, looks better. It’s a good comparison, because the Rams OL has issues, much like the hawks.

13. In regards to the offensive line, I re-watched a sack from the right side and it was apparent that Giacimini and Sweezy were out of position. The left side was over loaded and both guys lined up on the right went left as well and we followed calapsing the line further to the left and leaving the right side wide open for the linebacker who was blitzing. To me this showed lack of understanding both guys coming accross the line should have been passed off leaving us in position to pick up the blitz and giving Wilson a few seconds longer to get the ball out. Let’s hope Moffit does a better job of this on Sunday. These type of blitzes were not thrown at our line in preseason and they really exposed our young guys. Sweezy is still very tough and should be fine when he’s ready.

14. bird_spit says:

Also, I’m such a homer, I did not think RG3 did anything great. He got lucky, fumbling, and missed interceptions. His. OL performed better, but he does not deserve the crown as rook of the year yet, not with that performance.

I really like rw’s upside. At the same time, I would also like Pete Carroll to have a short leash. A little humble pie for him can’t hurt.

I would caution against getting too down on this line, especially with Moffitt returning. We know they can run block. lets see how they react with someone not making their first start ever, at any level, at guard.

16. DreadHawks says:

I love PC but it’s now time for this fan. Hope they have Gruden on Speed dial. He would love to coach RW….his words.

17. Yeah, and before we get too happy with drafting more OL, lets not forget that our #1 pick from last year is going to be back at some point (although I don’t expect much until next year) to take over for McQuistan. And, yes, Moffitt will make this unit much better at RG, too. We’re solid in the interior, even if Okung and Breno have the look of turnstiles. But at least they can run block so they don’t suck overall. I also hope/expect that Okung picks it up a bunch of notches. I expect him to but I’d be fibbing if I didn’t admit that I worry about him now b/c I expected much more from him up to this point.

18. I think our o-line is pretty well set, we just need more time developing. Our biggest weekness now is at WR, let’s hope Golden Tate shows up big tomorrow, but since you mentioned next years draft our 32nd selection should be a WR.

19. seahawk44 says:

I think power rankings are absurd at this point in the season & in general. Eric, if Wilson completes a pass to win last week, where would you have ranked the Seahawks? They actually were in a position to win their game, unlike many of the 0-1 teams that you have ranked higher.
    And Billick hates Seattle so much that, not only does he have the Colts & Rams ahead of the Seahawks, he actually dropped Arizona a spot for beating them.

20. Ewalters7354 says:

As majority of you guys posted I agree it’s only week one and you can’t judge a team on one loss.Personally I love our FO.It’s just some things Pete Caroll does that leaves me scratching my head.Yes Golden Tate is gonna be back and all but I find it hard to believe he will come in and light it up.Really he will have to show me something I haven’t seen from him and clearly I don’t see it happening.So as a fan I voice the same sentiments as STTBM.I believe he just wants to see improvement in areas that failed up all last season and so far after a full offseason and preseason the areas look exactly the same.I definately belive in this team but I also hope tomorrow they can make that belief become a reality.Just need to see this team compete against quality teams and not get blown out like in the recent past.Those wins over the Giants and Ravens make you feel great but if the get blown out badly tomorrow it’s gonna be a very,very long week and personally I wonmt be satisfied if they beat the Rams if they lose by a large margin to both Dallas and GB.

21. montanamike2 says:

I hope Tate has the game of his short career tomorrow.

22. ChrisHolmes’ girlfriend got me thinking. I admit that I am in love with the Seahawks. I have been since 1975 when I saw in the Seattle Times that Seattle (where I grew up) had an NFL franchise and that they had picked the name Seahawks which was the Anacortes mascot where I was born! I was hooked for life. I will always believe that they will be great no matter what! Just like I did the year they went 2 and 14. I once got to meet Jim Zorn and Steve Largent on their way back from Tawanka (the cafeteria at EWU) to the LA Hall where they were living during training camp. I worked in that building and they were walking back from breakfast. I shook their hands and told them that they could win every game. I guess you call it unconditional love. I wish there was less negative talk on this blog.

23. I am “in love” with them, too. I think that’s part of our problem. I’m also “in love” with my wife, by she still pisses me off from time to time:) I’ve been a fan for almost 30 years (still can’t believe it’s been that long) but I’d really like to see them win a Super Bowl. Until they do, whoever is in charge (head coach, gm, etc.) doesn’t deserve blind faith, as none of them have ever earned it (Knox and Holmgren were as close as you could get, for me).

For the record, I’m a “ChrisHolmes” homer. I love that guy (not in a weird way). He’s a guy who thought almost exactly like me with respect to the QB position last year (and we protect our own… lol).

It’s amazing what 1 day will do for people. If Wilson plays well tomorrow and we win, he’ll be back in Canton and we’ll be winning the Super Bowl. If he plays so-so and we lose, then Mr. Happy is a fool who should be fired and Flynn should have been the starter all along.

24. I want Seattle to continue to improve, I love them so much. When the same problems resurface year after year, I get pissed. Regardless of how much I love the Coach etc.

I am infamous for supporting Holmgren even after his forced exit. (I did change my mind after some seriously F’d up comments from Holmy post-Seattle). I loved Knox, yet both coaches drove me utterly insane. Why? Because they were so close to really getting there, yet didnt for some of the same reasons–some their own damn fault, sometimes the blame came from above.

I dont feel that analyzing a teams weaknesses or failures–even weekly failures–constitutes a lack of faith or fanhood. The reverse is true, actually. If I didnt have faith that they COULD succeed, I wouldnt be so pissed at thier mistakes/failures/attacks of Ego.

It especially pisses me off that after such a home-run of an offseason, Seattle came out and looked like sloppy joe diarrhea in all facets of the game. Man, that made me angry! They have too much brains in the staff and too much talent in the players to EVER play like that. And yet…Until we go deep in the playoffs a couple years in a row, its all just hype…and Im tired of hype and the emotional effort of supporting it…

25. Bobby, it was kinda funny to me that you put quotation marks around “your love” for your wife. I mean no disrespect by it, but I’m a veteran in the marriage game, so it just struck me as humorous. I’m not going to give my wife any bulletin board material on this blog:) First rule of wife club…don’t talk about wives…all in good fun my friend btw.
    Bird spit, I’m with you brother. I thought RG3 played well, but he didn’t have the same degree of heat on him.
    I would like to think that against a team bringing no pass rushing pressure, RW could pick apart a D also.
    And that’s what he showed in the preseason. We need to max pro and get him comfortable and playing DangeRuss.

26. RhewChuryll says:

As Dukeshire said, with Moffit in the line, we have a good run block Oline. We just need Lynch, Turbin (where was he last week) and Leon W to mix it up and pound on ground. Wear the Dallas dline out, keep it close in the first half, and then Pete, makes his famous second half adjustments to maybe get the passing lanes open for the second half. As long as we keep it close, we can win this game at home. I’m stoked!!!

27. VNHLNFAN says:

feed #22

28. CCVI – lol:)

I’d still take Luck over anyone, by far (not even close to close to being close) over any QB this past draft. But I’d take Weeden (who I think sucks) if I could have Walt, Hutch, Randy Moss, Dwight Stevenson, Larry Allen, Anthony Munoz, Walter Payton (all in their primes), etc. over Luck and 10 losers like Courney Taylor, Sean Locklear, Pork Chop, Chris Spencer, Jordan Kent, etc. Surrounding talent is important, too. Of all the rookie QBs this season, Tannenhill/Weeden are set up to fail the most; followed by Luck, Wilson, and then RGIII (who seems to be set up to succeed best – is it any wonder he performed better than anyone in week 1 with that being said?).

STTBM – regardless what your views of this team are, I agree 100% with that post. Being a fan requires participation, and that often entails criticism.

30. jchawks08 says:

I’m only halfway through the comments, but wow is there some great commentary tonight. Dukeshire, ChrisHolmes, BobbyK, STTBM, Dreadhawks especially liked your point on Gruden. I saw that bit with him and RW and he couldn’t have been any more genuinly impressed with EVERYTHING about RW. I may have even posted that link on here at some point.

31. bbnate420 says:

STTBM, just to insert a fact, we haven’t even lost 3 times in a row to them much less at least 3 times in a row. We beat them at home last season. They have won 2 in a row, both at home. No offense, just a fact check. The opinion that the Tards could be better is totally valid right now.

32. bbnate420 says:

BTW, RG III played the Saints D. He was impressive though. Let’s wait more than a week to crown the best rookie QB.

33. bird_spit says:

At least RW didn’t get run over by a flag.. What was holly thinking drafting a nearly 29 year old QB in rd1? What a pathetic performance out of the brownies.. Be proud seahawk fans, it can be worse, much worse..

34. bird_spit says:

Holly should read holmy

35. ljarllrajl says:

STTBM said: “Its now at least three times in a row we’ve lost to AZ.”

Um, no. Hawks have lost the last two (last two games we’ve played actually) but have won 3 of the last 5. Hyperbole much?

36. Nfllatestnews says:

The hawks need some more offensive weapons, maybe they should have kept TO! Did a preview of this matchup on my blog with some betting tips!! Come by and enjoy! http://dallascowboyblog.com/dallas-cowboys-vs-seattle-seahawks-prediction/

37. bbnate420 says:

BTW, I meant the Cards, in case anyone got offended by me calling them the Tards. Although, many people have used that term for the Cards in the past. I assume most people understand it is a derogatory term for the AZ Cardinals, not a swipe at anybody that is really retarded or semi-retarded.

38. bbnate420 says:

I like your style, IjarIIragI. You hit the nail on the freakin head!

39. montanamike2 says:

Cards are Tards! These last few days have shown why i like this site so much, even with disagreements people have, we unite as a team for the Hawks. I am more impressed with the civility here then ever.
    I don’t resort to name calling and I hope we are all past that now that it’s gameday and we’ll all root for our team.
    The Cowboys are already looking past this game, well the Cowboy fans sure are. I hope we beat them, it would go a long way for the confidence factor. My tenant is at St. Louis today for his birthday,( Redskins fan), he promised me they’d take care of the Rams, who like the Cards are still a bit underated. We have a history of beating good teams and losing to not so great teams.

40. bbnate420 says:

I agree montanamike2! Most people are counting us out. I bet on the Hawks in our ESPN Pick’em challenge! I think we will pull it out. 24-21! Hawks take it! We squeak by in week 3 too. 30-21, to make us 2-1. We end up 10-6, and barely make the playoffs. In 2013, the league can’t handle us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

41. montanamike2 says:

Love the optimism!

42. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

23-21 D get’s 10 points off turn overs pick 6 and a fumble recovery for rield goal. the best part is i then won’t have to listen to my father inlaw gloat for a year. go hawks!
    cowboys are no better than ravens last year. they just need to step up and play to their potential.

43. montanamike2 says:

Look at Green Bay and Chicago, week 1 and week 2 they look like totally different teams than the week before. I hope that happens for us as well.

44. ruminator1 says:

The retard comments are insulting

45. montanamike2 says:

I won’t use Tards for Cards anymore, sorry for any offense.

46. bbnate420 says:

Gotta be optimistic, montanamike2! I was a pessimistic bitch when I was drunk and we lost last Sunday! Might as well be optimistic now. Even if we end up 7-9 this year, I think it will pay dividends next season and we will be at least 11-5 and make it to the NFC Championship Game! I think PC’s job depends on the 2013 record.

I pray ruminator1 is joking.

48. montanamike2 says:

I’ll be drunk today for the game so i may be a little bitter when i get home too, hopefully not.

49. my preview, keep this in your pocket and hold me to it:

@mia – L
    @chi – L
    vs ari – w
    vs BUF – w
    vs sf – w
    vs stl – w

7-9 again. if flynn is in week 4, id give actually suggest a 11-5 or 12-4 winning season. with wins against chicago, new england, miami, detroit and maybe at sf.

50. bbnate420 says:

Shut it, ruminator1. I have a aunt that is mentally retarded and is institutionalized, as I have said before. The use of Tards for Cards has been used NUMEROUS times here before and, anyone here should understand the difference! It’s not actually degrading people that are actually retarded! I guess we shouldn’t call the 49er’s the Whiners, because it is “degrading” to people that are actually whiners? Just piss off!

51. bbnate420 says:

I apologize for the aggressiveness, but the rest of my last post is 100% correct. I have an aunt that is mentally retarded and institutionalized. Calling the Cards the Tards is fine! Grow up!

52. bbnate420 says:

I hope you’re wrong RADEoN, but I could easily see this team going 8-8 or worse. Hopefully, that means they learn a lot from this year and are ready to go at least 10-6 in 2013!

53. Ewalters7354 says:

I am not even gonna get optimistic about this game.As loyal as a fan I am,I’m still worried that things won’t change from last week.Gotta see it to believe it.All this championship talk means nothing to me until this team shows that they can play well against a quality opponent.I can take a loss as long as this team plays to their potiential.So we’ll see today….

54. confucious says:

I agree RADeon, a losing season should be expected when you start a rookie qb. If our defense doesn’t get shredded by sub par quarterbacks like they did last week, it may buy you a game or two. .500, in my opinion is optimistic.

55. ruminator1 says:

The fact that you have an aunt institutionalized is irrelevant and somewhat akin to “some of my best friends are black” to defend a racist comment. I am sorry you cannot understand this. Duke I would like to say it was partly in jest, but my comment was a reaction to those who don ‘t get it about the term “retard.” And even defend it.
    as for bnates I guess everything according to its source. The same kind of logic he uses to defend the idiocy of last Sunday.

56. Ewalters7354 says:

bbnate,you must be full of a few beers already cause you are on a rampage this morning lol…

57. confucious says:

It would be nice for Bevell to run a screen or two today. It may help with over agressive blitzing. I thought RW ran out of a few well established pass pockets last week. I am not sure if that is a tendancy for him, field vision, or what. It will be interesting to see if he uses the pocket better today.

58. bird_spit says:

I have a toe nail with retarded growth. I think I smacked it around way to many times in the Cascades. I seriously doubt it’s offended. I think the Tards is completely appropriate.

59. confucious says:

I am glad my tent is fire retardant.

Oh, oh, I have one: bbnate is a complete retard. Oh wait. No, I see. That would be an insult. lol Apologies.

61. SandpointHawk says:

The “mentally challenged” team from Arizona doesn’t quite roll off my tongue…

62. “The fact that you have an aunt institutionalized is irrelevant and somewhat akin to “some of my best friends are black” to defend a racist comment”

Really well-said, and thank you.

I have worked as life skills teacher and I can tell you that those folks really don’t appreciate the term. It is quite offensive to them and those who care for them.

63. ruminator1 says:

As sensitive as ever to opinions of others Duke.

64. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

ruminator, damn man it’s game day lighten up we have been calling the cards the tards for atleast 8 years. get over it unless you are retarded it should’nt offend you because it is not directed at you or anyone you know. and i have many black frends and we fling racial slurs at each other non-stop, does that make us racist? i think not. grow up and grow some tolerence of people and their right to say things you do not like.

and RADEoN are smoking crack? we beat the bears and the niners but lose to the fins? just saying. i also see them beating panthers to go 8/8. i think they lose chicago and niners if the season is going that bad. now the homer in me says they win this week and go on a absolute tear and end up 12/4. honestly i still see 10/6 easily but i can also see 6/10

65. confucious says:

In this day and age of political correctness it is hard to utter any word without someone finding fault with it. Say what you will.

ruminator1 – I’m only kidding. Let’s just all take a breath here and relax.

67. bbnate420 says:

Ewalters7354, I haven’t had ANY beers this morning. That doesn’t mean I will lay down like a bitch for people that are full of shit. If people are really retarded, they won’t be able to read the posts here. So don’t act like it’s offending them! People should be able to put terms into context! When I call the Cards the Tards, do you really think intelligent people think I am making fun of retarded people? If you do, I am sorry for you. You obviously are semi-retarded yourself!

68. And Nate-

When you call your friend a “retard” you’re not calling him your retarded toe nail. What you’re insinuating is that he’s a “retarded person.” By which, suggesting that being “retarded” is bad. It’s not.

That’s the issue, and educated people should realize this simple fact, or at least have the sensitivity to try not to offend other folks.

69. Duke,

Don’t diminish the vailidity of his post with that “relax” stuff.

That’s like a kid taking candy from another kid and saying “relax, it’s just candy.”

No, eff you kid, that was mine.

70. ruminator1 says:

Sandpointhawk, birdspit, Confucius, dukeshire –what do you mean when you call someone else a retard? It is clearly not a positive comment, but what is it intended to convey? Hard to believe we are having this conversation in 2012.

71. bbnate420 says:

Cornutt, When did I call a friend of mine a retard? I didn’t here! Seems you’re too stupid, retarded, ignorant, uneducated, or illiterate to read the posts I have made? Sorry if that’s insulting. I have called friends retards, although not on here, and we are all smart enough to know what it means. So, would you have a problem if I called my friend an idiot? How’s that really any different except for the connotation that YOU put on it? People that are retarded don’t know the difference.

72. ruminator1 says:

And bnate, i do understand your problem. Unfortunate.

73. bbnate420 says:

Whatever. I’m done.

74. bbnate420 says:

What’s my problem, ruminator1?

75. people are too oversensitive anymore, lmao.

confucius, domt tell that to some of the other rookie qb’s.

76. SandpointHawk says:

Don’t bring me into this. I was making a joke to try and lighten up the attitude around here. I don’t use the term myself. I however might say someone appears to have significantly impaired cognitive functioning and deficits or I might say someone is two bricks shy of a full load.

Need I continue?

77. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

wow people really? listen i will say this as plainly as i can. this is america free speech and all if you don’t like the comment leave. the majority on here have used that phase including myself. yes it is meant to be a negative reflection on the cards and their fans so what?
    what gives you the right to be the PC police and come in here and call anyone out on that? more importantly why do the rest of us have to kiss a few of your asses because that offends you? grow up . my dad told me when i was a kid people will say things you don’t like all the time”deal with it”. funny thing is the “tard” comment offends but the troll and and other names don’t.
    good point bbnate funny thing is before they were called retards they were called the villiage idiots. gawd people like this piss me off.

78. ruminator1 says:

Hawkfanoklahon –the difference is that those folks are your friends. Try saying those things to blacks who are not your friends.
    look folks, I know I am being holier than thou here. Not really trying to stir this up. But the term “retard” is offensive. It is meant as an insult. And it implies that there is something wrong and defective in other people. It also categorizes a group of people. Many peopleare offended and even hurt when they hear such comments. This is my last comment on this topic. Enjoy the game.

79. bbnate420 says:

RADEoN, I sincerely apologize if I made it sound like I was trying to silence you. You have the right, as I think anyone here does, to post whatever you feel. I may think what you say is stupid. A lot of people probably think the majority of what I post is stupid. That’s okay! I think we should all just write what we truly believe. If people don’t like what I write, they can call me out or ignore it. I really only called you out because you disparaged the majority of us here. That doesn’t mean I’m right or that you shouldn’t post whatever you want. I really don’t like it when people try to censor others. It’s okay to disagree or say that what the other person has to say is bullshit, but we should all be adult enough to handle dissent.

80. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

ruminator it is offensive to you. not me i see it for what it is an adjetive nothing more. i would not say it to someone who is not my friend that would be racist. you just don’t get it. enough!

81. bbnate420 says:

A point about the race analogy, I have hispanic, black, and asian friends. If you want to be literal, there are really no biological races. They are all social constructs. Anyways, my black and hispanic friends feel free to call me honkey and I may call them terms you know I’m sure. The point is the INTENT, I believe. We all know we are friends and that we aren’t really trying to offend or disparage each other. Thus, we don’t take the shit we talk to each other seriously. You need to be able to definitively determine someones’ intent before you label them a racist or a bigot, IMO.

82. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

well said nate now can we please talk football?

here is one for everyone. two scores for the game.

if it goes hawks way..

if it goes cowboys way..

23/21 hawks

37/13 cowboys

83. Whoa Nelly! I wont be calling the Cards the Tards anymore. Its insulting to quite a few folks, and I feel rotten for using that term in the past and thinking it was funny.

Whats really weird is that after my comment yesterday or the day before suggesting we not use terms like Retard as an insult–likening to using the terms Gay or Spazz as insults–I realized I have been one of the most prevalent users of the the term AZ Tards. Not cool. Fail.

Using the term for 8 years doesnt mean its okay. Using the term Gay as an insult for anything not cool was prevalent for 40 years. Still not cool.

Im not going to rag on anyone, especially since Ive been guilty as hell myself. Im just not going to use those terms anymore. Perhaps that will spread.

Back to football, I really loathe the Cowturds and want Seattle to win so badly, I woke up feeling sorta blah about the game. Im interested to see if Cable can whip the line into shape, if Bevell opens up the gameplan and playcalling–especially in the Red ZOne-and if our D bothers to blitz at all, and if the line can get a pass rush…but Im not too worked up about it.

If they lay another egg like last week, it will be a long season in all likelihood. If they play well across the board, last week may be an anomaly and everything will be good. We’re just gonna have to wait and see.

I hope I can find the game on TV today, Im stuck in Helena again and the last time I was here I couldnt get the game…

84. bird_spit says:

I’m sticking with my rediculiously retarded belief that the score will be 34-17 Seahawks…

I need a make up game. In Eric’s poll, I voted for an 8-8 season, mainly because of the rookie QB. But I’d like to think RW is rookie of the year, hence Seahawks blow the cowgirls away.

85. 34-17 IS ridiculous, bird_spit! Wouldnt that be great though?!

I just want to see solid line play, and less penalties. A decent Red Zone offense and some attacking playcalling on both sides of the ball would be nice. Just so long as they play well and dont get blown out, Ill be okay with the outcome.

86. Well said STTMB, and much appreciated. Really cool, brother.

I also understand that some people will say whatever they want regardless of how it makes someone else feel. Sad.

Nate, kind of water under the bridge at this point. But I didn’t mean “you” as in you. I wasn’t trying to accuse you of calling your friends that–apologies if that’s how that came across. I was trying to illustrate that when “you” call someone retarded, you’re not refering to a retarded toe nail.

Ruminator, I really appreciate your willingness to say something–fully knowing what the responses would be. Cheers to you, friend.

Now, I’m ready for some football!!! Enjoy the game ‘Hawks fans!

87. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

STTBM,the point is if it offends someone it is their problem i am not saying it to be offensive to anyone in the room. if we were all sitting in a bar together drinking and watching the game we would say that and worse most likely. let’s face it we all get offended at times and from time to time in our life. we can step up and speak up which ruminator did. however his feelings on that are just that “his feelings” which last time i checked i am not resposible for.
    tards/ cowturds/ bungels, really what is the dif? this is in no way hate speech. it is not directed at anyone person but at football team and their fan base in fun and joking banter.
    one definition of retard: bad poor quality, i would say that sums up the cards and their fans. because let’s face it there are fans and then there are HAWK fans.everyone else is just a fan.

enjoy the game everyone

88. bbnate420 says:

STTBM, I commend you on your mea culpa!

I will say the same, if I really offended anyone seriously. My point was that you should always try and determine the meaning of someones’ statement before you get really offended. I wasn’t trying to say that because I have an aunt that is mentally retarded that I couldn’t offend others. I just was mentioning it to try and provide some evidence that you should try and determine someones’ motive before you judge them.

89. Damn folks. This is a football blog where we comment on grown men bashing each other’s heads in and give each other concussions and potentially life threatening or at least quality of life impairing injuries. And we all enjoy it immensely, that’s why we watch and comment. Ironically, the very sport you enjoy and comment on could make someone disabled or mentally chalenged. Hypocritical much? Let’s leave the politically correct aspect out of it.
    If you are insulted by the term tards, just don’t use it yourself and skip posts that use it. How bout calling the Cards the Farts, then? Or am I going to insult someone with a chronic flatulence issue? Oops, that covers most of us, including yours truly. Geez Louise. GO Hawks!

90. SandpointHawk says: