Morning links: Romo returns to CenturyLink

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 13, 2012 at 7:35 am with 29 Comments »
September 13, 2012 7:35 am
Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo (9) throws a pass during the first half of an NFL football game against the New York Giants, Wednesday, Sept. 5, 2012, in East Rutherford, N.J. (AP Photo/Bill Kostroun)

Dave Boling of The News Tribune wasted little time in getting to the meat of the issue with Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo.

His first question during the conference call was Romo’s bobbled snap on a field goal on short field goal late in the 2006 NFC wild card game, allowing Seattle to take over on downs and sneak away with a victory at home.

So how about that fumble Tony?

“Shoot, it feels like I was 10 years old back then,” he laughed.

“Football is a great game and it teaches you a lot of lessons,” Romo went on. “Your ability as a player to interact with other people, how to develop into a leadership role, how to work with others, and how to improve.

“There are million different things that you learn that are life lessons in a lot of ways and going through the adverse situations that you go through in football can help build character, help learn the process that it takes to get better and how to improve as a football team. I think that’s just one of those situations where you took it as it was, a disappointing loss, which was very tough at the time. What you do is you get better.”

In my story today, with anticipated changes up front for Sunday’s game, the Seahawks will have made a switch on the offensive line within the first three weeks of the season every year since 2007, when Walter Jones still served as the team’s cornerstone at left tackle.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com talks with receiver Doug Baldwin, who had four-and-half hours of dental work and temporary caps put in to fix his two front teeth.

John Boyle of the Everett Herald writes that the Seahawks can’t dwell on last week’s disappointing loss, and need to focus on the Cowboys.

Don Banks of Sports Illustrated drops the Seahawks from No. 12 to No. 18 in his power rankings.

Dave Wyman of 710 ESPN Seattle writes that there’s no shame in rough starts for rookie quarterback Russell Wilson and offensive lineman J.R. Sweezy. But after watching last week’s film, they must move onto the next opponent.

Yahoo Sports goes inside Mike Robinson’s “Real Robinson Report” in this video link.

Alex Marvez of Fox Sports writes that Seattle has no need to panic after the team’s opening season loss to Arizona.

Rainier Sabin of the Dallas Morning News reports that Cowboys nose guard Jay Ratliff did not practice on Wednesday due to a high-ankle sprain he suffered during the preseason.

Carlos Mendez of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram writes that Dallas running back DeMarco Murray’s physical style has the Cowboys getting rid of the running back by committee approach.

Morning links
  1. Man, I remember watching that playoff game and thinking we were done. That bobbled snap was a miracle for us, although he would’ve scored a touchdown if it wasn’t for “big play Babs”. It’s a mistake to have your starting QB be the holder, but I believe he was the holder because he was the backup to Bledsoe for awhile.

The cowboys are a solid football team, top to bottom. Seattle will have to play pbysically and mistake free, Sunday.

Eric, why is Irvin not standing when he’s at Leo? He gets out there at that 7 tech position (or what would be if the TE was there) and puts his hand in the dirt. Maybe Bradley can shed some light on that. Thanks

3. It’s funny what one loss can do. I’m not as pumped for the game on Sunday as I should be. After watching Wilson throw a few backward passes, I remembered that he’s a rookie (that that I didn’t know that).

However, after watching him (almost) march down the field in the 4th quarter, I also remembered why I’m so excited by him (legit potential).

Still, the fact of the matter is that he’s a rookie QB and that sucks living in the moment with. I know it will make the next 10-12 years much more enjoyable (having a real QB), but it’s frustrating now when we all want instant gratification.

Whenever you lose, it’s usually not that bad. Whenever you win, it’s probably not as great as you think it is either. I wish I could follow that advice more often from the perspective of a fan. Oh, well, I’m human and none of us are as perfect as we’d like to be.

Go ‘Hawks!

After reading the Farnsworth piece, two things jumped out: 1- Baldwin has had surgery on both shoulders *and* both knees (in addition the the “procedure” on his hamstring)? Goodness… 2 – Rice sat out because of a knee issue, not his shoulder. I can’t tell if I’m relieved or now more worried.

5. Soggybuc says:

It’s one of the things that makes Football such a great sport. the highs are and lows can swing so far. not just week to week but during the game itself.
    Honestly it time to give Tony a break on a play that happened 6 years ago.

6. “That bobbled snap was a miracle for us, although he would’ve scored a touchdown if it wasn’t for “big play Babs””

Babs made a great play — his reaction was amazing. Probably one of the Top Ten clutch plays in Seahawks history.

I’m looking forward to the Dallas game. If the defense plays well, the Seahawks will have a chance. And DR (DangeRuss) won’t have to deal with crowd noise.

7. Duke you bring up a question I’ve been pondering all preseason. Why do we always have Irvin in a down position? Seems to me with his quickness he’d be much better off in a standing position where he can immediately use his hands to keep the opponent’s hands off of him.

By starting from a down position his hands must be just a fraction of a second slower to fend off blockers than they would be if he were standing up. It almost seems as though his feet are ahead of his hands and opponents get their hands on his chest/pads/ jersey and he is immediately defeated because his size/weight/strength cannot overcome them.

8. iHateHarbaugh says:

Its our 1st chance to get behind this team! Especially this defense! WE GOTTA BRING IT!!!

I understand it when he’s on the strong side, or even a 5 tech. Standing there would simply not allow him to win leverage against tackles or TEs. He would get dominated in those situations. But at Leo? He’s already a full yard wider than the outside shoulder of the tackle. You are spot on here: that’s where his speed has to be used to it’s fullest. Get him up. And considering his lack of pass rush moves (rip, swim, spin, etc…) standing would seem to allow him to use his athleticism as opposed to technique. I really would like to hear Bradly talk about that.

10. One win on sunday – and we’re totally turned around and back on track . . . will take a really strong effort to beat Dallas. Their offense is formidable. If we don’t get a rush on Romo, he’ll pick us apart.

11. sluggo42 says:

Any NFL QB will pick us to bits if we don’t get a pass rush going.

12. I legit wish there was a mercy rule in the NFL. This is gonna be a sorrowful game :(

13. NWPoseidon says:

Never underestimate playing at home. We tend to rise to the occasion and Playing at AZ is always tough even if they are not the greatest. Even Sando thinks that the 9ers will struggle there. Everyone needs to take a deep breath and a half step back before judging our hawks. Have faith! Go Hawks!

14. There is a die hard Cowboy fan in my office that i work with. I am holding onto hope that our hawks come together this week to not only give hope for this season, but so i can rub it in his face a little bit. But now, i really want our hawks shut RADEoN up!

15. lol, are you pissed because I’m realistic?

I love how in the preseason, you guys were talking about super bowl aspirations, winning the NFC West, and having a top 5 defense. After the loss @ARI, you all fall off the ship for a few days, and come the end of the week, you’re right where you were before week 1.

I am a realist. I knew that the team wouldn’t win the west, wouldn’t be able to get to the super bowl without buying tickets, although I thought there was a shot at having a top 10 defense.

16. I think the Hawks can do it this Sunday.
    If they can limit the mistakes..

17. First of all, i’m not pissed. it just gets old when you are constantly a “debbie downer”. Because you sit here and talk about how OUR seahawks are going to get pounded and how you wish the hawks could forfeit this upcoming game. Come on bro. this is our team that we root for. Don’t sit here and troll. I have hope for this young team. I have hope that each week they will get better and play their hearts out for us, for our city. That doesn’t mean i think this game is a gimme. Dallas is a good team, sure. But i would never come on here and say, boy i sure wish we can forfeit to the cowboys. Thats just ridiculous. Just a few years ago we were 7-9, sitting in the playoffs against an amazing new orleans team. Boy, i sure wish we would have just forfeit that game before it started. it sure would have been much better than defying the odds, shutting the media up and watching beast mode go bonkers and create an earthquake in seattle. This is the NFL, you never know what is going to happen, so stop being so negative about OUR team.

18. Long time reader, first time post. I waited until last night to review the game a second time and I’ve got one glaring question that I haven’t seen much about anywhere. Now I saw this on Sunday and it seemed more apparent to me the second time.

I’m puzzled as to why the ball wasn’t placed around the 1-yard line on Peterson’s final pass interference penalty on Rice. Why did the refs spot the ball so far away from the goal line when it was so clear that Peterson was mugging him all the way from the 10-yard line up until the goal line? I know, I know spot of the foul, but it seemed to me to be continuous for those ten yards.

Anyone else think the same thing?

19. dirtbiker_joey says:

Last week, the defending Super Bowl Champions lost big – at home. The team with the best record last year lost big – at home. The Seahawks lost a close one – on the road. I’d say we’re in pretty good company, and nobody’s counting out the Packers or Giants just yet, so why count out the Seahawks?

Granted, we don’t have a seasoned veteran at Quarterback, but RW has huge potential and will only improve week-to-week. And if he doesn’t, Flynn goes in (assuming his arm issue doesn’t linger). If the OL shows improvement like it did last year and a pass rush develops, we’ll be fine.

The only reason I am no longer bullish on the Seahawks’ chances of winning the division is not because they aren’t as good as we thought they were (I still think they can be a 9-10 win team this year), but because the 49ers appear to be legit. I always thought last year was a fluke for the 9ers, but last week they showed that they just may be for real. There are going to be some epic, albeit low scoring, battles between these two teams for years to come.

20. bird_spit says:

Mercy rule for Dallas, if this game is lopsided, then it will go to the home team.

21. HawkyHann says:

Expecting a mind blowing performance from RW. He’s going to light it up.

22. rramstad says:

I think they are spotting the ball — when there’s a continuous area of foul like that — at approximately the yardage that the receiver would have caught the ball. (It would be unreasonable to mark it at the start of the foul, as this would take yardage away from the receiving team. It would also be unreasonable to mark it at the end of the foul, as there’s no way of knowing that the receiver would have advanced that far if they had actually caught the ball, as catching the ball usually requires a bit of stutter in the step and/or turning the hips, both of which would slow the receiver down.)

23. hawkfan777 says:

What I don’t get is why RADEoN even comes here. If he is so sure the Hawks are going to lose why would he waste his time here? There has got to be better things for him to do, right? The rest of us may be frustrated on some level with the loss but we still have hope that this team is on the rise and may still do something special this year.

I understand being realistic. That is my personality as well. I never thought that they would win the Superbowl and win 12-14 games. However, I have hope that they can win 8-10 games. If they do better than that I will be completely jacked up!

I think all of us can be negative at times and the venting is good for the soul but some guys tend to vent every time they come here and it does get pretty old.

24. My thoughts EXACTLY hawkfan777

25. rramstad: I get your point and agree. I thought Sydney Rice would have caught that ball at about the one yard line. That’s why I couldn’t figure out the placement. I mean Peterson was holding him from behind from the 12-yard line. But he continued to make contact without so much as looking at the ball all the way through Rice’s attempted catch.

For me, it’s not about being negative, or realistic, or a pessimist, or whatever. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with that. It’s about what you’d like to see done to improve the conditions you see as a failure. In the absence of that, the complaining is little more than trolling, to me anyway.

27. So one thing about that Romo Play – at the time I don’t think it was 4th and goal. They could get a first down – W/O scoring a TD.

They never measured to see if he got the first down. Everytime I see that replay I always wonder why

28. before we completely bury ourselves over the AZ loss – let’s see how AZ does over the next few weeks. Especially their defense. Worth remembering that, thought they didn’t do anything sexy over the off-season, they won 7 of 9 down the stretch.

our defense could have done better w/the pass rush in the 1st half, for certain, but otherwise we shut them down pretty well. it was our offense that underperformed, but it may be that AZ is a bit better than people are giving them credit for. That said, if NE scores 40+ pts against them this weekend, i won’t bring it up again.

29. RADEoN….Take a deep breath, exhale, and stop being an insufferable douchebag. Aren’t we all pulling for the same team here?