Morning links: Carroll scouting the refs

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 12, 2012 at 7:15 am with 67 Comments »
September 12, 2012 7:15 am
Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll, right, talks with an official against the Oakland Raiders in the first half of a preseason NFL football game, Thursday, Aug. 30, 2012, in Seattle. (AP Photo/Stephen Brashear)

In my story today, Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll says he’s scouting the replacement refs to give his team more information in preparation for Sunday’s upcoming game against Dallas.

Carroll said his coaching staff traditionally looks at video of the regular officials to see if the group has any tendencies that he can pass along to the team.

But Carroll said he’s had to use game film from the replacement officials’ four preseason games in order to scout their tendencies.

“We have extended the way we look at the officials,” Carroll said. “We video those guys and show (players the) video of the officials and the calls that they made during the week just to make sure our guys are aware of the kinds of calls that different crews lean towards.

“And they pretty much called it like they had. They called a lot of stuff. And they had been calling more calls every week in their first four weeks, and they went out and did it again.”

Here’s the trailer for “Matt’s Chance”, a movie directed by Nicholas Gyeney that Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch has a cameo appearance in.

710 ESPN Seattle’s Brock Huard reviews Seattle’s final play of the game against Arizona in this video link. Huard thought that Sidney Rice had the better matchup.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com gives us an early preview of the Dallas Cowboys.

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times writes that defensive end Bruce Irvin was quiet in his first game, in this report on the Seahawks’ rookies performed against Arizona.

ESPN’s Mike Sando takes a closer look at the pressure stats from Week 1. The Arizona Cardinals finished No. 1 in pass rushes with five or more players. Seattle was No. 9. Dallas was No. 21.

Seattle falls to No. 26 in ESPN’s power rankings.

Elliot Harrison of NFL.com places Seattle down seven spots at No. 22 in his power rankings.

The National Football Post has Seattle at No. 27, down from No. 18.

Pete Prisco of CBS Sports drops Seattle a couple spots to No. 22.

Pat Kirwan of CBS Sports has Seattle at No. 23.

Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones had a good view of Tony Romo’s botched field goal snap that fumbled away a chance at a win against Seattle in the 2006 NFC Wild card game in Seattle. Jones called the moment surreal, and said he was speechless afterwards.

Morning links
  1. GeorgiaRay says:

Let’s see if we can keep Jones speechless for another week…

2. hawkfan777 says:

The “Matt’s chance” trailer is strange and it appears to be a low budget movie. How did they get Edward Furlong, Margot Kidder, Gary Busey and Lee Majors to be in it?

3. Cowboys are going to be tough. 12th Man needs to bring the noise.

I hope they have Wilson working this week on screens and dump-off passes to beat the rush.

Carroll and Schneider should swallow their pride and call Kellen Winslow to work out a deal. We need him.

4. bird_spit says:

The coaches have a big delemma with Tate due back. What to do with Edwards. Maybe it was because of Rices domination, but Edwards had a great game. He had some legit great grabs, sticky fingers.. I’d want that guy on the field often.

5. bird_spit says:

Sorry to say, cause I have loved the guy, but Obo is done. He is never getting separation from his guy. There should be a way to replace his contribution to the ST.

6. Those actors are low budget nowadays.
    That was such a great game, Romo fumbling the ball..

7. bird, I’ve been thinking the reason Obomanu is likely a short-timer this year is because of Charly Martin, who does everything Obo does, but with more quickness and aggressiveness. But now that Charly is injured, Obo remains an important role player on ST at least. And I don’t think Obo is that hard to replace on ST, with young fast players like Martin, Lane, Guy, and Smith getting in the game.

And while I really liked having Edwards at split end, I think we need Tate back to help the short passing game.

Is there any way the team doctors can graft Tate’s hands onto Edward’s arms?
    Or maybe graft Edward’s head onto Tate’s body?
    That would make a great split end!

8. princeaden says:

I hope Bevell has developed a game plan to make teams pay for blitzing all the time. Whether it be hitting the hot routes, screens, getting a little lucky with a draw play or shuttle pass. Something needs to be done or Wilson will be under siege until it is figured out. The problem for me is, that I don’t believe in Bevell enough to think he’s going to win this game of cat and mouse which does not bode well for the future.

9. bird_spit says:

Stevos – I have no faith in Tate, but hopefully he isn’t the knuckle head that I think he is..
    I think hawks better hope Rice stays healthy. He is clearly front and center in the defensive plans of our opponents. Even so, he still gets open regularly, plus his run blocking down field is worthy. RW just needs the time, and maybe more seasoning, to find his targets downfield.

10. hawkdawg says:

We don’t need Kellen Winslow anywhere near as much as we need an OL that can pass block. Freakin’ turnstiles last week. Physically overmatched, mentally overmatched, you name it.

11. bird_spit says:

Hawkdawg..I’d add out numbered. I’d blame the coaches for not having the places in place to beat the all out blitz. RW needed more of the play book.

12. princeaden says:

And yes Stevos, I’ve always felt that Head replacement surgery for Tate is called for.

13. bird_spit says:

Places == plays.. I can’t type and think at the same time..

14. seahawk44 says:

The Seahawks Defense will have their hands full because Dallas has many offensive weapons. My main hope in this game is that they find a way to get to Romo, get some sacks and create turnovers. The 12th man will help.

15. NYHawkFan says:

Other than the botched call at the end of the game giving us an extra timeout, and too many pass interference calls, I thought the replacement officials did OK. In fact, we benefited more from the pass interference calls than Arizona did. Two interference calls helped us get inside the 20, allowing us four opportunities to win the game. Here’s hoping we get a few more calls going our way this week at home!

16. montanamike2 says:

graft Edward’s head onto Tate’s body

That’s a great idea! Paul Allen has the money so what have we got to lose?
    The good thing about Tate is he didn’t turn out to be Dez Bryant or Crabtree. I’d rather he turned it on in this year,(hoping) instead of be Primadonnas and then fading away after a few seasons. No doubt about it, this is a make or break year for him but the kid has so much talent.

17. Southendzone says:

Stevos: 100% agree on Winslow. Bring him back at 3.3M and admit that was the stupidest cost-cutting attempt of all time.

On Obu, he didn’t look great in preseason and doesn’t now after 1 game. I thought Butler outplayed him and would prefer him around.

This game is going to be way tougher then the AZ game. Hawks better not throw up a dud.

18. CDHawkFan says:

Edwards had a great game? All I remember was the ball that went through his hands at the end of the game, I thought it looked like a lazy attempt, not something you want to see to win a game.

19. montanamike2 says:

Agree that Butler has much more speed than Obo, i was thinking the same thing. If i brought Winslow back it would have to be at a discount, there’s still risk for injury with him.

20. yakimahawk says:

If they do not contain Romo in the pocket with a lot of pressure early and often it will be an ugly Sunday @ C-link!

21. HawkyHann says:

Bruce Irvin, please prove something to us. Anything, just do something. Right now I just see someone running around with no results.

22. HawkyHann says:

Keep Bobby Wagner on the field more. He runs well and can play every down.

23. chuck_easton says:

O-line needs Moffitt back at RG. I just love the Sneezy-Sweezy story, but the kid is not ready for prime time.

24. chuck_easton says:

But HowkyHann,

Didn’t you just LOVE how FAST Irvin ran around? He was right there chasing everyone. Now if he can just learn to catch a few of them he’ll be at the next level.

Irvin is a work in progress. It will take time for him to develop. Speed alone is not enough in the league. But he’s a talented guy and Carroll is confident he’ll put the work in. At the end of next season, lets see where he is.

Yes, Moffitt needs to replace Sweezy.

26. “I know this is going to meet with a round of potential boos, but I also think we will see Carp at LG in the near future and at that time our line will suddenly look light years ahead of what we saw on Sunday.”

No boos here (booze maybe). I just watched the 2nd half again and the left guard play looked worse the the right guard to me.

27. bird_spit says:

That last play of the game, Edwards had the CB in his face, yet RW drilled the ball in there, and the CB flicked the ball away. If RW had that ball back, I am sure he would have waited the half-second it took for Rice to come free.. A vet may have been able to recognize Rice set up a perfect space to loft the ball into the corner.

That finl play is the result of Edwards coming free at the same instance RW thought he had to get rid of it. RW was rushing every play at the end. Those are the result of the pressure in his face all day… He needs to grow into that position. A vet #1 QB wins that game..the opportunities were all there. Even RW, previous attempts were right there, but the defense made the play, or the receiver didnt come down with a fast ball in tight situation.

Someone previous discussed time management. The #1 thing hawks (coaches/qb/team) needs to work on is tempo, and time management. Those last 40 secs or so, RW scrambles for 1-2 yds, keeping the clock running. He needs to dump it off, and stop the clock.

28. HawkyHann says:

Chuck and Duke,

I’d love to see him finish the plays and make tackles. you would think a guy taken that high in the 1st round would be able to produce results.

Can’t wait for Sunday. I’ll be at the home opener and if Irvin cant produce a big play vs. Dallas, home opener, electric atmosphere,etc..I’ll really be wondering why I’m not rooting for Ingram, Coples, Jones, Hightower,etc. Really hope he dominates though, we need sacks!

29. bird_spit says:

The entire left side of the OL looks shaken all day. There didnt appear to be much confidence in the face of the aggression that AZ D was dishing. To quote Mora, “We need some dirt bags”, on that line, and in that AZ game.

30. “RW was rushing every play at the end. Those are the result of the pressure in his face all day… He needs to grow into that position”

I agree with that.

Did the CB really get a hand on the ball to Edwards at the end? I didn’t see that.

31. seahawk44 says:

You can not really say that any of the O-linemen had a good day in that first game. Sweezy and McQ should be replaced by Moffit and Carpenter as soon as health permits it.

It seemed like McQuistan played better at the tackle position last season. Maybe he does better there than a gimpy Okung. Anyone agree?

32. chief2ret says:

@NYHawkFan,
    Other than calling interference that wasn’t there, holding calls that weren’t holding, missing calls that should have been made, unable to keep track of time outs, not knowing that an injury in the last 2 minutes of a half is a chargable time out, oh yeah, they did a great job. If Seattle had scored and won the game as a result of the 4th time out they called, there would have been hell to pay. These replacements come from Div 2 and Div 3 college ball and some have only had high school experience. One of the replacement referees was fired from the Laungerie League. That’s not much of a talent pool to be working the NFL!

33. lol “fired from the Laungerie League”

For real?

I wouldn’t last 2 minutes in that league for reasons I’d rather not go into.

34. bird_spit says:

Pdway..the best angle is the broadcast angles. W.Gay has Edwards in as tight of coverage as he could get..nearly climbing Edwards back..right hand near Edwards chest, reaches for the ball with his left and interferes with the catch. Great CB play..it is bang bang if it is def interference.

Again, the better play would have been to rice…RW knows it, everyone knows it now. Heat of the game, RW makes a good throw, but the speed of the CB, size of the CB wins the battle.

35. chief2ret says:

@blueshq, yes that is for real. The officiating was bad enough in the AZ game that the fans were chanting BS, BS, BS during the long meeting to try and sort out the botched 4th time out call. Now granted fans are (1) biased and (2) virtually none of them know the rules. In the post game interview Pete said that since the clock wasn’t running, it wasn’t an injury time out. He was wrong, he didn’t know the rule, which is true of most of the coaches. And don’t rely on the TV and Radio guys calling the game, most of them don’t know the rules very well either.

Did you notice all the sideline guys out there with headsets and phones when they were trying to sort out how to explain the 4th time out call? They are NFL staff guys (not NFL field officials) who are coaching the officials and holding their hands.

36. jchawks08 says:

Don Banks has the Hawks moving from 12 to 18 in his power rankings. Cards are 26th. lol. He sounded dissapointed that the Hawks let him down in the little blurb he does on each team. That was a game that we had to have and could very well be the bane of our season should we miss the playoffs.
    Yea, If Uncle Brucie doesn’t log a stat this weekend, there’s got to be some serious 2nd guessing of that pick. I don’t care if it’s just 2 games. If you can’t log a single stat after 2 games then there’s some serious issues. 1 stat. That’s all I want. That’s not asking much, right?

37. wazzulander says:

I’m skeptical of the idea that Irvin is a project and not expected to contribute right away. I think PC and JS were thinking they could get something similar to what Aldon Smith gave the niners last year, as he was also suppose to be very “raw” coming out of college. Pass rush was a known area of need and I think he and Jones were suppose to be the 2012 solutions. Of course, his all around game should get better with experience but I don’t think he is/was suppose to be a long term project and contributing a bunch of zeros this year. I’ll give him some more time to prove himself before throwing out the b-word but no way he gets the whole year to “develop”.

38. jchawks08 says:

I would agree Wazzu, and I believe Carroll has even compared Irvin to Aldon Smith and what he/we should expect this season. Is he a project? Yea, I suppose to some degree, but I’m almost positive we didn’t spend a 1st rounder on a guy that brings zilch to the team. 1 game yea, yaddayaddayadda, but seriously, my expectations are pretty low at this point and will be content to see him log an assist. 1/2 a sack would be like an early x-mas present. :D Sigghh…Yea, I’ve still got a Cardinals loss hangover.

39. Expecting Bruce Irvin to play like a veteran pass rusher in his first games is really unrealistic. Very few players ever excel as premier pass rushers as rookies. John Pierre-Paul had 4.5 sacks as a rookie. Aldon Smith is a rare exception as a rook and so was Von Miller, but even Aldon Smith didn’t get his first sack until his 4th game.

I think Carroll saw Irvin as the pass rusher with highest potential to succeed in his defense, not the guy most ready to excel as a rookie. West Virginia isn’t exactly known as a football coaching paradise. Irvin is just beginning to learn technique, everything we see him do at this point is just raw athleticism at work. I don’t know if you want to call that a project or not, but like Dukeshire mentioned, he’s probably a long way from the player he’ll be after a year or two of coaching.

Every year I hear people saying mortgage the farm to “win now”. That’s not how this team is being built. We have a lot of young players who won’t mature for a year or two. But I like the way they are being built – even if being patient is a bi#@h.

40. jchawks08 says:

Good post, Stevos. I was about to go research Smith’s game by game log, but you answered the 1st sack question already!
    So we’re on the same page, you’re telling me he’s NOT the next Jevon Kearse? lol man what a rookie year he had..

41. I think Dallas wins this game 41-7. They’ll go 2-4 before people start whining for Flynn to come in.

I love how I was being a realist, and everyone laughed at me… then all of the sudden everyone is echoing what I said after the week 1 game.

42. NYHawkFan says:

chief2ret@ Don’t get me wrong. I’m not in support of the replacement officials. All of the complaints leveled against them are likely valid. Funny about the LL (Laungerie League) official. With that said, every week you can read on this blog about botched calls made by the regular officials. All I’m sayin’ is that they didn’t appear to adversely affect the outcome of the game by their calls (both good and bad).

43. jchawks08 says:

RAD, how do you expect them to win 2 games if they lose 41-7 at home?

44. RADEoN – consistent with this thread about Bruce Irvin, I’d say that if Pete Carroll was mostly concerned about winning the first few games this season, he likely would have named Flynn the starter long ago. If that were the case I think many of us would be breathing a little easier to start the season. But I don’t think that’s what Pete Carroll is about. I think Carroll is much more focused on building a team that can eventually win a super bowl, even if the path to get there includes some growing pains. That’s why Wilson is starting.

45. did someone mention lingerie league officials? yow. where do I apply??

Carroll was clear that he felt Irvin was the best pass rusher in the draft, so in that regard yes, there are expectations he’ll contribute now. But they also noted that he had very limited snaps in his college career. With that, one would think it’s reasonable to expect a learning curve larger than someone with far more experience. Perhaps another way to say it is, he’s raw. And that comes with limited skill, required for consistent levels of success in the NFL. He’s going to struggle this year. I really do believe it’s fair to consider that when evaluating him now.

47. ChrisHolmes says:

If this team goes 2-4 over the first six games, something tells me it’s going to have more to do with the OL than Wilson.

There’s a lot in that first game that was disappointing, but nothing worse than the utter failure of the OL to pass block. That’s not Wilson’s fault.

And there were plays to be made, but WR’s dropped balls. Wilson made some incorrect reads, sure, but guys have to catch balls.

That said, Bevell has to call a better game. I understand Wilson is operating with a limited playbook, but when a team jailbreaks your OL that much, you have to do some things to slow them down. Screens can be difficult to get right in the first few weeks of the season, especially for a rookie QB, but what about a draw play or two?

Our OL looked bad the first few weeks last season too. Then Cable got those boys synced up and it worked. I’m disappointed the OL didn’t start from where they left off last season, but I fully anticipate Cable getting these guys to block better.

Wilson will get smarter and better. Cable will fix OL problems. Irving will figure out how to get to QB’s. It’s just going to take time.

The one thing I’m not sure you can fix or improve during the season, however, is Bevell’s playcalling… And that worries me the most.

All that said, I don’t give ‘em much of a chance against Dallas. That game will be won in the trenches and I just think Dallas is better right now on both sides of the ball.

48. montanamike2 says:

I don’t give a shit if we lose a couple games bringing the rookies up to speed, i see a bright future. Learning curve is a bitch!
    Maybe Sweezy will be that good, in time. Maybe the Carp and Moff picks were not such a reach after all, I hope the return of those guys beefs us up. We are in rebuild year 3 and have lots of talent that needs more time to gel.

49. jchawks08 says:

Well this is where theres a serious difference of opinion. I do give lots of shits about losing the 1st couple of games. I’m not the only one that thinks this is a playoff team. The Defense, the QB with game NFL game experience that is 2-0 as a starter and had the best day ever of any GB QB ever. Ever. (oh wait, scratch that), a developing O-Line that looked amazing the 2nd half of last year, and an above average ST unit. I’m simply underwhelmed 1 game in. We’ll see how game #2 goes. 41-7? Are you for real?

50. HawkyHann says:

Irvin is raw, I agree. They knew that but still were confident he would get sacks now. Despite the limited experience. Its obviously still very early to judge him, but show the home crowd on Sunday you have some serious game. Give us something to be excited about. Get past the RT and make the sack. I want him to tackle the guy to the ground, pop up, and do his infamous” wipe me, down” dance.

51. jchawks08 says:

I think if evere there was a game where the 12th man could make a difference, this is the one! For those that are going, please cheer louder than you ever have before. On Defense only.. Very important. Particulary on 3rd downs. Especially on 3rd and long. And on 3rd down when they’re pinned back on within the 20, cheer as it’s the last thing you’ll ever do in life!! Thanks in advance!

52. wazzulander says:

Stevos – funny comment about WV coaching. I remember Irvin even said something to the effect of he didn’t get any good coaching before being drafted, is that their reputation or are you basing it off the same quote?

I agree with not mortgaging the future to win, but I do not agree that this team was not being built to win now. I think signing Flynn was a clear indication that it is. I will take PC at his word and believe that in his mind RW won the position on merit and that that decision wasn’t based on next year or the year after. And as a whole I like the moves PC and JS have made, but I’m already getting worried that at the end of the year we might be wondering why the heck we didn’t grab Ingram. I know though, only one game…

53. Seneca Wallace was drafted in the 4th. RW in the 3rd.

Seneca is 5/11 205. RW is 5/11 206.

In his 2006 first 4 starts, Wallace finished with just under 1,000 yards, 8 touchdowns, and 7 picks.

In his first start, wilson finished with 153 yards, 1 TD, and a pick.

He’s not even on pace to be as good as Seneca (and he never will be)

RW should have stayed with the Orioles

54. BTW, I’ll be calling for Carroll’s job if things don’t change by week 8.

55. BTW2, after all the roster turnover, draft picks (real intelligent ones like James Carpenter and Bruce Irvin), I would say this team is in “win now” mode. How long before Carroll is held accountable for the teams failures?

Raheem Morris “inherited” a mess, going 3-13 his first year, then 10-6 his second year, then being fired after his 4-12 2011 campaign. How is Carroll satisfied with going 7-9 every season?

56. In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory,[3] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[4] or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.[5] The noun troll may refer to RADEon

57. bird_spit says:

I have never seen a definition of a troll before. Count me in..now everyone look in the mirror..you’ve seen one too.

58. tchristensen says:

RADEon is a TOOL!

59. Maybe not having such an undisciplined team year after year would help with scouting the refs.

60. “He’s not even on pace to be as good as Seneca (and he never will be)”

Where’s all this coming from? Seems like you’ve got something against the guy.

You’ve been posting here for a long time, and I never remember you being a one-topic guy like this.

61. Its because I’m trolling… Idiots.

Pdway. I really think Flynn should be the starter. With chemistry and a week to prepare, Flynn has put up some serious numbers in his starts with GB. Flynn was a 3rd round draft choice. I do not think he’ll ever be an adequate NFL starting quarterback.

He made his name off of bogus preseason outings against 2nd and 3rd stringers, and in his start, he plated against the same defense that graham Harrell torched. Color me a troll or whatever, but I’m not drinking the Carroll kool-aid. His “success” in New England leaves me skeptical.

62. Russell Wilson “He made his name off of bogus preseason outings against 2nd and 3rd stringers”?

lol! dude, please.

Russell Wilson “made his name” off setting the single season FBS record for passing efficiency (191.8) and leading Wisconsin to a Big Ten title and the 2012 Rose Bowl. Then he out-worked and out-competed Matt Flynn throughout the OTAs and camps in Seattle. If you don’t enjoy watching him play, you’ll need to watch a different team.

63. How did Wilson do in the rose bowl? Remember when he spiked the ball with 0 seconds left? Real smart guy.

I mean you look at how good his college receivers were, although they won’t be good in the pros, against weak ass conference opponents. They were stacking 8 in the box to stop Monte Ball, leaving single coverage everywhere. Really not that impressive of a feat.

If his efficiency records really mattered and showed that he was a good QB, he wouldn’t have hung around until the third to be drafted. And no, he’s not a no-name college player like Brady was, or possibly Flynn.

64. “I really think Flynn should be the starter. With chemistry and a week to prepare, Flynn has put up some serious numbers in his starts with GB.”

I basically did too coming into the season – or more, I just assumed he’d be the starter. Can’t blame or be po’d at Wilson though, he’s just doing his job, working hard, etc., you can’t expect him to want to sit.

This one sits squarely on Carroll. And he’ll rise or fall with it. So it’s a matter of how much you trust his judgment. I’m still in — I think the way Carroll has changed the personnel/atmosphere/agressiveness of the team is all good. And couldn’t have been done much more quickly in my opinion.

Time will tell about the QB spot, and yeah, it’s a little unfair that Flynn isn’t geting a shot, it seemed like it was his turn. STill, shouldn’t stop any of us from rooting like crazy that Wilson turns into a top-10 guy.

65. mojjonation says:

There is no way the game goes 41-7 Dallas. I think Dallas will be held under 30, but Seattle will fail to break 17. 12th Man or not, if they don’t fix the O-line problems, the dropsies problems, and find a LT who can handle more than a high school player on passing plays, Wilson will be on the IR before October. Then the Flynn lovers will watch as we have our second version of Checkdown Charlie on the field. That may work between the 20′s, but your paycheck comes from red zone success. Neither QB really has that at this point.

With our red zone troubles continuing, maybe they should just chuck the red zone portion of the play book, and go for the end zone once they break the 30.

I can picture Dallas loading up the right side of the line (offensive left), putting Ware on the left (offensive right) and just blowing the doors down and making Wilson run right. Right into Wares big mitts. Ware may wind up with 15 tackles for loss/sacks in this one.