Morning links: O-line fails to protect Wilson

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 11, 2012 at 8:03 am with 73 Comments »
September 11, 2012 8:03 am
Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson, left, breaks the tackle of Arizona Cardinals linebacker Reggie Walker during the first half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Sept. 9, 2012, in Glendale, Ariz. (AP Photo/Paul Connors)

Dave Boling of The News Tribune writes about the Seattle Seahawks offensive line struggling to protect quarterback Russell Wilson against the Arizona Cardinals.

Boling said in evaluating Wilson’s performance you have to consider the constant pressure he was under from Arizona’s defense, due in part to Seattle’s poor pass protection.

Boling: He was sacked three times and took seven hits, and when he wasn’t sacked or physically abused, he was hurried, or his receivers were blanketed. And, at times, he misfired on his own.

Four of the five linemen up front are veterans, joined by rookie right guard J.R. Sweezy. They should be better. It is not surprising that the Cardinals’ talented defensive front beat them on occasion – physically – but they shouldn’t have fooled them as frequently as they did.”

ProFootballTalk.com ranks Seattle No. 26 in its initial power rankings.

Grantland writes that Russell Wilson got lost in the forest of Okung: “Pete Carroll kind of backed himself into a corner here by giving Wilson the keys from the jump. Think about it: He is a classic, mid-season, “We’re 2-5 and we’re gonna give Wilson a chance now” case. Then, boom, change of pace and the Seahawks rattle off four in a row with Wilson replacing Flynn. As a lover of football and someone who is a little vertically challenged, I want Russell Wilson to succeed as much as the next (short) guy. But I have a feeling the change of pace is going to be Flynn, sooner or later.”

Ben Muth of Football Outsiders writes that Wilson has whiff of Rick Mirer to him: “He’s a mobile guy, who played on a real good college team. I’ve only seen him a little bit, but when he’s moving, he’s looking to just get away, not to make plays down the field. Plus, they both got drafted by the Seahawks.”

Muth goes into more detail and makes some interesting points, but Mirer was in a running offense at Norte Dame, while Wilson has been groomed in more of a passing offense at North Carolina State and Wisconsin. And I think Wilson is more poised right now than Mirer ever was.

Brian Billick of Fox Sports ranks the five rookie QBs debuts, putting Wilson at No. 2 on his list. Here’s what he has to say about Wilson: “I’m not sold on the idea that Russell Wilson is the future of the Seattle Seahawks, but he had a decent debut for the blue and green. Although his statistics left a lot to be desired, it was what he did on the final drive that pushes him ahead of Luck.”

Jason Cole of Yahoo Sports isn’t buying the Russell Wilson hype: “The story of Wilson fighting his way to the starting lineup for Seattle is a great, inspirational tale. However, the realities of starting a small quarterback were demonstrated in the loss to the Cardinals. Wilson is a great athlete who can extend plays. But the thing that happens as soon as Wilson gets pressured is that his eye level changes and he can’t find receivers downfield. He basically becomes a runner almost immediately. If you want to see the difference, watch Roethlisberger and then watch Wilson. That’s not to say Wilson can’t play in the NFL. It just means that if first impressions are accurate, Wilson’s future is as a backup.”

ESPN’s Mike Sando writes the pass interference calls were up in Week 1.

The NFL has put together a temporary, five-week schedule for replacement officials.

Morning links
  1. FleaFlicker says:

Frustrating. But all past tense.

Have to look forward to the Cowboys game. Really hoping to see our #1 draft pick start to factor into games. And I think it’s definitely time to bring back Moffitt. Can’t expect any QB to succeed when we become one dimensional. Looking forward to observing RW’s learning curve. I’m keeping the faith…

2. Eric, Braylon Edwards had the most catches of any Seahawk last week, but Golden Tate may be able to play this week. What happens here?

3. Boling is right our O-line was terrible against AZ. Lynch’s numbers look solid only because several times he broke/avoided tackles in the backfield. I’d hope this part of the team was on more solid ground.

Hate the one-game pronouncement of Wilson by the various experts. Pretty silly (and annoying) to compare a rookie QB after one start to a veteran like Ben Roethlisberger.

Hopefully next week brings better stories . . .

4. Play them both, but the bubble screen or whatever that stupid ass backwards throw to Rice should now go to Tate or some variation of it. Also, how come Wilson never checked down to Lynch in the middle when he was getting overwhelmed? Or some screen passes to Washington?

5. Pretty silly to anoint Wilson a future hall-a-famer after the preseason as well.

6. Ben Muth’s comparison of Wilson to Mirer is ridiculous. But considering that the experts seem to be losing their excitement over Wilson’s potential after ONE GAME, let’s remember that Mirer had a good rookie season but didn’t get any better. It’s not where you start that counts — it’s where you end up. And I think it’s way too early to make any judgements about Wilson. Let’s at least wait until he’s played half the season. But even that might be too early. How bad did Hasselbeck look in 2001?

7. mquinn73 says:

It’s way too early to predict what will happen with Wilson. For a ‘journalist’ to start making comparisons between him & Rick Mirer is completely irrelevant at this point in time.

The kid has got talent. Considering that he’s a rookie, starting his first competitive game, and taking into account how much pressure he faced all day long, he did pretty well on Sunday.

It’s just way too early to say anything more than that.

However, my concern is (and always has been) his lack of height. I’ve tried to convince myself that a few inches doesn’t really matter…. that he has enough talent and mobility to make up for that shortcoming (pardon the pun)… but I just don’t know.

I think best case scenario is that he develops into another Doug Flutie type. Don’t kill me for saying that, it’s just my honest opinion.

8. madpunter88 says:

If every rookie quarterback who lost his first ever game was benched then there would be no quarterbacks left in this league. Monday morning quarterbacking is rampant everywhere, of course, but it is hardly time to assess the Russell Wilson Era a success or failure.

Suggesting that one should compare RW to Ben Roethlisberger to know all you need to is buffoonish at best. Roethlisberger has been a starter for 8 years. Wilson for 1 week. But it raised a wonderful point that was certainly not Jason Cole’s point. Roethlisberger came in to play in the second game of the Steelers’ 2004 season after an injury to Tommy Maddox. He was not intended to start so early and there was dissension within the team when he was named starter (rather than bringing in a veteran). In fact, didn’t one of the Offensive Lineman criticize him in the media prior to his first start? Roethlisberger went on to win the remaining 14 games that year. Russell Wilson probably will not rattle off 14 wins in a row but no one in the Pittsburgh media or on the team was feeling very confident when he took the reins.

I’m not sure if it’s ridiculous or not, yet (I pray however that it is), but he (Ben Muth) may want to talk to Pete Carroll about his views. Especially this – “…he’s moving, he’s looking to just get away, not to make plays down the field.” The is exactly the opposite of what Carroll said on Sirius XM week before last. Of course, Muth notes that he has “…only seen him a little bit”.

10. What I saw from Russell Wilson on the final drive gives me lots of confidence in his ability. He put the team in position to win. He made good throws and at least one of them should have been caught. It was his first NFL start. I wanted Flynn to be the starter this year, but I’m trying to be fair about Wilson. I like him and think he’s going to be a very good quarterback. What will separate him from other QBs will not be his throwing skills as much as his drive and desire to be great.

11. madpunter88 says:

Canfan-
    Great point about the final drive. A rookie QB who puts his team in position to win on the road, in an opening game, against a great defense, in a hostile environment should be deemed promising regardless of his stats. Half the quarterbacks in the NFL and almost all of the back-ups would have gone 3 and out on the final drive just because of the pressure. RW got them in position to win and that is all you need to know. He has what it takes and is only going to get better as the season progresses.

12. Boy, both the Cowboys and Packers will have 11 days to prepare for Russell Wilson and the Seahawks. And the Seahawks will beat them both!

13. “Pretty silly to anoint Wilson a future hall-a-famer after the preseason as well. ”

Also true . . we’re just a little starved for hope around here of late.

14. djbargelt says:

Canfan: “Ben Muth’s comparison of Wilson to Mirer is ridiculous” Well stated Canfan! Best not to voice an opinion Muth when you have little to base it on! Even Brian Billick whom I never agree with said RW had a decent debut. Yes , RW made some bad decisions, but he was running from that thug Dockett all afternoon.

Blame lies with poor O-line play, poor game calling, ( Bevell ), and receivers who cant get open or hang on to catches. I assume Tom Cable will be kicking some O-line butt this week!

15. jawpeace says:

A few thoughts everyone was raving about RG3 game. I saw a lot of that game and he did good; but a real key was he had good protection. Wilson protection was very poor. I am still very happy to have Wilson and think the Hawks got a steal in the third round.

Sweezy a remarkable story. But he is not ready to be a starter yet. Besides Docket eating him for lunch they ran many stunts and delayed blitzes through his lanes. Sweezy has been only playing O line for 6 months. Mofitt needs to play. And Carp I think would be an upgrade at the other guard spot. As Carpenter’s weakest spot in his game was speed rushers and on the inside that is not a factor like on the edge.

16. gonefishin69690 says:

Actually, Is what I didn’t understand was why the receivers were giving up on their routes and not coming back to the ball. There were a number of shots, times when RW was scrambling, looking for receivers, and then we would see them just standing 20 yards+ away waiting for Wilson to get sacked. The O line could be better, but I think that loss fell primarily on the receivers.

17. Anyone heard any word on how Beast Mode’s back reacted to the game? Hopefully there will be some report on it after practice today.

Day off today, but Carroll said he came through the game fine.

19. Here comes all the football expert know-it-alls.He’s to short and we have to here about all the short QB’s that there has been.

It was his first game give him some slack.He could fall on his face,or it could come to him and he is the nexr coming.

I know I’m not a football gurue like Eric,Duke,Bobby K,and a few others on this blog.I,m just a retired welder from the south central Washington.Give him a break!!!

20. I’m hopeful for Wilson, however I was also disappointed that Flynn wasn’t given the starting slot, and if there were indeed rookie jitters going on in Arizona, I’m a bit more disappointed. I think this team has a window to make some noise this year that it may not have next year, and I don’t want to wait half the season for Wilson to go through the worst of the growing pains. Flynn isn’t an established veteran, but I think he’s probably significantly higher up in his own growth than Wilson is, and the team could really use that in a stretch of games like this.

I fear that, rather than being tough games that the Seahawks might be able to grind out for a win, the coming weeks against Dallas, GB, New England, SF, and Detroit have greater likelihood of being classrooms for our rookie QB.

I really hope I’m wrong!

21. Yeah, several people have noticed that Gonefishin’. That drove me nuts watching the receivers giving up on the play whle the QB was scrambling. That puts into not only questioning their football instincts, but their common sense and desire to win.

22. chuck_easton says:

Wilson did exactly what a rookie QB who is suddenly in the big stage will do.

He came out tentative. He made some good/bad reads. He wasn’t prepared for the blitzes and didn’t either know how or wasn’t allowed to audible to a play to take advantage.

On one play in particular, as was actually mentioned by Evans (but I take his comments with a grain of salt as he does not like Seattle for turning him into a blocking FB and then releasing him when he stunk at it), there was a perfect pocket set up by the line. All Wilson had to do was step up into the pocket. Even if there wasn’t a receiver he could have thrown the ball away. Instead he brought the ball down and scrambled backwards and to his right. Arizona was waiting for that and Wilson scrambled right into a hit.

Wilson will learn. He is smart, and he has a work ethic that can’t be matched. But he is also having to get his education in on the job training.

I think what you are seeing from the ‘experts’ is their understanding of history. History isn’t kind to rookie QB’s that get happy feet due to the pressure and speed of the game.

23. seahawk44 says:

You won’t be able to really assess the future potential of Russell Wilson until he gets a full season under his belt. I won’t even read stories above that are assessing his potential after his first freaking game on the road against a divisional opponent while under pressure the whole game. Not many rookie qb’s in the history of the game would have even had a chance to get that win in the end.

24. And the things is — if one play, ONE PLAY, goes the other way at the end – then all the stroylines this week would be completely different. We’d be reading about ‘the Russell Wilson era in Seattle begins with a gamewinning 4th quarter drive . . “, instead of people dragging out the dreaded ghost of Rick Mirer.

25. Ah, thanks Duke. That’s so key for our season, having Lynch being beastly every week. Not sure what we can do for our red zone passing. I wonder why we haven’t heard more about teams kicking the tires of recently successful free agents like: Plaxico, Donte Stallworth, Denario Alexander or Jabar Gaffney.
    Kind of expected to hear news on Kellen Winslow and Ryan Grant today, but no news yet it seems on new non-guaranteed.

26. …contracts. heh- oops left off a word. Not sure why I called Stallworth or Alexander recently successful, but they were supposedly talented.

27. piperfeltcher says:

I thought McQ missed just as many blocks as Sweezy did.

28. HeinieHunter says:

Way to sum it up PDway. We were just one play short Sunday. Had a catch in the EZ been made, every talking head would be lauding RW.
    Also, we saw how fast the QB situation can change when Skelton went down in the FIRST game. Matt needs to be ready. Ask Kolb about that.

29. yakimahawk says:

Peyton Manning and John Elway were almost thrown off their homefields and out of their towns in their first year…As Hass was in Seattle. A couple of more games will give us more to look at. I think the kid has a lot of upside but would not be surprised to see Flynn come in either.

30. bird_spit says:

I rewatched that game.. forcibly. That was a team loss, players and coaching. RW was not the key to the lose, nor was he key to its potential success. My hope is, they are all under the hood, looking at how to get better. They only get 16 tries at winning a game. They want to win them, so I would bet they do what any of us would do, work harder.

I was surprised how unprepared the OL appeared. I was not surprised by our WR group. The play calling was pathetic, and Pete Carroll needs to talk to his offensive geniuses about giving RW some more tools.

Lynch cant be happy about his sub-100 game, and neither can his Olineman.

31. Just saying that maybe- just maybe – our Round 1 and round 2 picks should start making as big of an impact as our 4th, 5th and 6th rounders.

With the exception of Thomas has any really contributed at a high level?

32. If Baldwin or Edwards had caught their game winning TD passes, they’d all be talking about the bright future of Wilson leading a last minute drive to win the game and a 2 touchdown performance.

33. PugetHawk says:

Honestly, tired of reading about Russell Wilson for the next couple days. Its way too early to know what he will be. What I do want to read about is the offensive line and receivers. Maybe hear from Bevell and Cable on WTF happened.

I know that Andrew Luck or RGIII couldn’t do much with our line and receivers.

34. “Every D coord will dial up the AZ game plan until hawks learn to stop it. Lets hope they learned something by it.”

That is exactly right and is the recipe for almost all rookie QBs. Until we start burning that blitz why would it stop. I don’t question RW’s mental makeup or work ethic at all and hope that seeing so much pressure just speeds up his learning curve. Physically, I can’t say what he sees but I just hope it is adequate and doesn’t hinder his overall development.

Other hopes are that our pass protection improves significantly and that Arizona’s defense was one of the best we end up seeing all year.

That game represented typical NFC West football.

35. After getting their rocks off before the first game the national media aren’t so interested in RW. Good. Stay under the radar. He had his faults, but not a one of them makes me question his leadership or ability. He will learn to step up, or to the side. He will learn not to throw a backwards pass to a guy who’s about to get hit. He will learn who gets open when it’s goal to go and when. His receivers need to never quit on a play – I’m talking to you Sydney Rice and you Braylon Edwards – I saw you walking around when you might have tried to get open. The offensive line will get more in tune. We’re cool. I want to see more moves on Bruce Irvin’s part.

36. blocis: I think Golden starts if he’s healthy, and Braylon continues to see some time on the field.

37. Carlsonkid says:

I made several comments prior to the start of the season that I wasn’t so sure our O-line troubles were solved . Starting Sweezy against Darnell Docket in game one was the epitomy of a bad idea . Unfortunately I’m not real convinced Moffitt will be much of an upgrade ; he struggled thru most of last season before the injury .

But then I also said the Cardinal’s O-line looked terrible in preseason and Irvin , Clemons and Jones should have a field day against them , so what do I know ?

My guess is you’ll see Zach Miler held in to block a lot more this Sunday .

38. Does anyone think that Carrol intentionaly went to Russel Wilson at the end of the game in the final plays (I know Lynch ran once) to try and prove to everyone he was right about Wilson by having him throw the winning TD. Why didn’t they have him roll out or use Lynch at least one more time? Just a thought.

39. jchawks08 says:

Off topic as per 90% of comments on any given post, but in our fantasy leauge, RW is projected for 4.5 pts. 112 yards. lol. Who cares? I don’t know. I’m playing a hawks homer and I sure hope he starts Wilson again! Not to mention Turbin! :D

40. sluggo42 says:

It doesn’t matter that we didn’t score the last TD to win as far as what the upcoming teams are going to do, specifically Dallas. What I see Dallas doing is gearing up their blitz package, yet at the same time, anticipating the screen/draw game as they know we will be working on that. I think the chess games also start now between coaches.

I don’t know that Moffitt replaces the Sweeze, depending on how well practice goes this week.

Our 3-ring QB circus this preseason definately hurt us, and catching up depends not only on RW, but the WR’s too. Baldwin was virtually invisible past the LOS, and reminded no-one of Bobby E. Watching the better teams first game showed how some teams were basically good to go, and others were not, like us. Really disappointed with O-Lines porosity first game, and inability to react to blitz packages.

I HAVE to believe that RW has a longer leash this week, and is allowed to audible out of some plays that he knows are doomed. Sure they are trying to bait him into switching with weird alignments, but the guy needs to start being the field general. It’s also time to let the dogs loose on D, and start with our blitz packages.

The best part is that Dallas is so full of themselves right now, that they will think they are going to have a gimmi against us, even though the coaches will be telling them they need to watch out, they will still take us lightly, the smug bastarts!
    Payback with renewed team spirit after a weeks worth of ass chewin, along side with a very healthy dose of #12, and we get into the win column, and this season gets back on track.

WAR HAWKS

Dallas, for the firs time in many seasons, may be underrated. They looked very strong against a solid Giants team. This will be a real challenge.

And all the off season and preseason snaps in the world can’t substitute regular season game action. Wilson is going to have to simply take his lumps and learn, like every other young QB. The fact they had a chance to win that game last week is remarkable, considering all the breakdowns. Ideally, he’ll get better each week, as he did in preseason.

42. The coaching staff obviously sees something in Wilson that they don’t in Flynn. Remember the coaches are paid large amounts of money cause they know what they’re doing.we sit back and judge and probably really don’t know a heck of a lot.

43. djbargelt says:

I’m thinking of changing my handle here to Bevellsabust! Our hand-me-downs from the Vikings have not been worth much, as in Bevell and TJ. Think were better shop at a different location next time. Heck, lets offer Jim Zorn the Offensive Coordinator job. Can’t be any worse than Bevell’s “Gee- this ain’t workin, but why change?” mentality.

co·or·di·na·tor   [koh-awr-dn-ey-ter]
    noun
    1. a person or thing that coordinates. That would leave Bevell out!

44. JMSeaTown says:

Post wk 1 is the most annoying week in football… Over analyzing the outcome of 1 game. What were Drew Brees and Peyton Manning’s records their 1st year?

45. Eric has said before, Tom Cable is in charge of the Offense.
    Bevell calls the plays. That doesn’t really impact some of the criticism Bevell is receiving here but keep that in mind when you want to complain about overall game plans & paring down of the playbook. It’s not only Bevell..

46. orbeavhawk says:

Using some Positive Russelism: 15 and 1 won’t be that bad! HeeHee!

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHawks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

47. Another 6-10 season full of excuses. Just another year in Seattle sports.

48. mojjonation says:

Tru…I was thinking the same thing. PC didn’t call Lynch’s number because he was trying to prove that his choice of Wilson was the wise one. We had no time outs left, but there was enough time to line up in a jumbo package and run Lynch and spike it if they fail. Or spread the field and have Wilson leg it out. If you are going to brag about being a running team, then have your rookie QB throw the ball 6 out of 7 plays from the 13 yard line in with no success, you might want to reconsider what the face of your team is. I honestly think Dallas is going to steam roll Seattle. Unless they can figure out how to stop pressure up the middle, or slow down the blitzing, Wilson will be on his back or running for his life. Some suggestions…slants, delayed draws, designed bootlegs…to the left.

Can the center make blocking adjustments without the QB changing the play, or does it take the QB changing the play before the center can change the blocking assignements?

49. Palerydr says:

Brees was 8-8 Manning 3-13

Brees is the guy you would want to compare RW to. Brees played 1 game his first year in the league the rest of the time he carried a clip board for Doug Flutie. He was 8-8 his 2nd year in the league as a starter.

50. Mr Williams: Has anybody mentioned when R.Okung got the injury? Was it the play he ended up limping off the field or did he get it earlier and just played as long as he could with a bad wheel? It seems strange that he would all of a sudden begin having multiple false starts unless there’s a reason (beyond the DRE jumping prior to the snap).

51. freedom_X says:

That’s a great strategy – 1 minute left in the game, only 1 timeout left (actually none) – run the ball.

I thought they were nuts for handing off to Lynch the one time they did. That was when I thought they had no timeouts left.

If they had 3 timeouts left, sure, run the ball a few times. They “had” one timeout left, they ran the ball. That’s it. If you have to spike the ball, you just paid 2 downs for whatever the run play got you. If you want to run, better to have Wilson scramble, so he can head out of bounds to stop the clock.

I can just imagine the feedback if Carroll had run the ball 2-3 times in a 1-minute drill.

52. If one of the WRs would have made a great catch for Wilson, all we’d be hearing is how he’s going to prove everyone wrong and give a new definition to defining short QBs.

Since those plays weren’t made inside of a minute to go in the game, he sucks and too short and will be a career back-up. Derrr…

“Jounalists” can spout off whatever crap they want without ramifications of getting fired if they say stupid things over and over (like defining Wilson after one game that could have gone either way). The only thing some of them can get fired for is not being politically correct (but their content can suck).

Personally, I like the kid. I like his work ethic, the way he speaks and the intelligence he seems to have when he opens his mouth, etc. I’m not expecting Cam Newton numbers this year, but I will have high expectations for him the second half of next season. I’m going to give him somewhat of a pass this year and early next season because of his youth and potential, but I want to see results by the end of next season (actually, I want those results starting two days ago, but we need to be patient – as hard as that may be).

53. Palerdr: Funny you should mention Brees. ProFootballFocus has RW playing almost with the same PFF QB Rating stats as Brees. Brees was ranked #25 (81.25 rating) & RW was ranked #26 (80.09 rating).

Interesting that also RW faced the most pressure of any QB in week 1, and was also among the most accurate with his throws when he was under pressure. He’s a good young QB who, when he learns where to go with the ball when he’s being blitzed (and when he and his WRs recognize what’s about to happen consistently at the LOS just prior to the snap – and they know that each other knows what they need to do) RW will end up amongst the best QBs in the league – regardless of height. Gonna take some time. As it was, RW was second best in stats (PFF QB rating) among the rookie QBs.

54. Palerydr says:

klm008 welcome back! RW drove the team into position to win the game, something we didn’t see last year in the 4th quarter. Never mind all the mistakes made in the game to that point, one more completion and all the doom and gloomers would be savaging Irvin for not showing up. I’m still not a fan of RW I wanted the Hawks to draft Osweiler but I’ll root for the guy to do well until it’s time to root for the next QB hopefully I will like him better. I will like him considerably more if he follows Brees’ career path.

55. SandpointHawk says:

Welcome back klm008, so good to see you.

56. bird_spit says:

Oh my god, a klm008 sighting..

Welcome back..

57. doubledink says:

klm008,
    I think you meant NFL Passer Rating. QBR is a different, newer stat.

58. Can’t you have a play lined up already for after the run before you even run, you can get lined up and possibly catch the other team off gaurd and manage the clock at the same time? Not saying you could do this everytime, but there was plenty of time when they got to the 6yr to do at least two runs.

59. The Legend of klm is back in the house!!!

60. Soggybuc says:

That is a very good point Kim, Okung was never one for multiple false starts before so if he was trying to compensate for a hurting knee it would make sense. and good to see ya back, now get some number crunching asap =)

klm008, where have you been?

62. FleaFlicker says:

Here’s a thought on the receivers quitting on the ball. Conditioned by T-Jack to never have a passing play exceed 3.5 seconds.

OK, that’s only a 50% serious observation. I imagine [hope!] that it’s a matter of getting into regular season mode.

Something to be said for giving these guys time to build rapport. They’ve had all of two or three weeks working together as a first team unit. Among the receivers, very limited and herky-jerky playing time in preseason and camp. RW probably has 25% of the first team game/camp snaps in relation to all the other QBs to which he’s being compared.

I’m keeping a positive outlook for the ship to right itself…

63. CDN_C_Hawk says:

I noticed on many offensive plays… the calls to RW were either slow, or he had trouble hearing them in his helmet headset. He is a very smart QB, and given time at the line, can read and change the play, from his reads. Just seemed once at the line from the huddle, he was in a hurry to avoid delay of game flag.

64. Hawksince77 says:

Charting Russell Wilson’s first professional start.

(all time marks from NFL.com Rewind)

Evaluation based on Russell Wilson’s play, not necessarily the outcome. The standard is based on any NFL QB, with no consideration given for this being his first professional start. I would use the same criteria with any starting NFL QB.

1st Half:

2:30. Pass to Lynch behind, tipped up, caught by Rice. Should have been picked. BAD THROW

3:45. Deep throw to Rice. Pass interference. OKAY

5:60. Pass thrown high to Rice, incomplete. POOR THROW

12:30. Quick throw to Rice for a first. NICE

13:00. PA fake, no throw, runs for a few yards. OKAY

14:30. Backwards pass, goes out of bounds. BAD THROW

15:30. Deliberate QB run. OKAY

30:40. Play fake, blitz, no time, no chance, sack. OKAY

35:20. Quick pass to Edwards, complete, under pressure. Roughing the passer. NICE

36:00. Deep pass thrown out of bounds to Obo, incomplete. If this pass was meant to be caught, it was a terrible throw. If thrown out of bounds, simply OKAY

37:00. Play fake, under immediate pressure, eludes the rush, scrambles for a couple, holding on Lynch. OKAY

38:00. Drop back, immediate pressure, eludes the rush, scrambles for a couple. OKAY

52:30. Quick, accurate pass to Rice for a first. NICE

53:00. Quick pass to Baldwin for a small gain. OKAY

55:40. Drop back, pressure, throws ball away. OKAY

1:05:00. Deep pass to Miller. EXCELLENT

1:07:00. 17 seconds left in the half, blitz, breaks a tackle and throws the ball away. Offsides called. NICE

1:08:30. Deep pass intercepted. After Peterson tripped up, he falls into Wilson, covering his own INT. OKAY (on the pass) NICE (on the coverage).

2nd Half:

1:16:00. Lynch fumbles, Wilson recovers. NICE

1:17:00. PA fake, rolls right, scrambles for a first. NICE

1:18:00. Backwards pass to Lynch, turnover. TERRIBLE

1:25:00. Quick throw to Edwards for a completion. NICE

1:26:00. Quick short throw to Baldwin for a short gain. OKAY

1:27:00. Drop back, throws, ball batted at line. POOR

1:27:50. Quickly comes under center for a quick snap. Goes through multiple reads, and hits Rice for a TD. EXCELLENT

1:32:30. PA fake, has all day, doesn’t throw, scrambles for a couple. OKAY

1:33:19. Tries to get Unger to snap the ball on a 3rd and five. When he does, Wilson hits Baldwin for a first, but delay of game called. OKAY (assuming it’s Unger’s fault, and not Wilson’s, but you can clearly see him calling for the ball well before the clock runs out)

1:34:15. Blitz on 3rd and 10, Wilson quickly flushed, scrambles for a couple of yards but short of the first. OKAY

1:41:00 On 3rd and 3, high pass to Edwards. POOR

1:45:30. Play fake, roll out, complete to Miller for a few yards. OKAY

1:47:00. Quick accurate pass to Edwards for a first. NICE

1:48:00. Quick pass to Rice, off his finger-tips for an incompletion. Very very close. Rice acts as if he should have caught it. OKAY

1:49:00. Drops back, has time, gets chased, avoids a sack, throws complete to Turbin for a short gain. OKAY

1:58:00. Play fake, turns around a finds a blitzer in his face, throws the ball away. Called for intentional grounding, but his only other option was to take a sack. At least he gives himself a chance. NICE

LAST DRIVE:

2:15:30. Nice quick throw to Edwards for a first. NICE

2:17:00. PA fake, Cards all over it, no time, sack. OKAY

2:17:43. Under pressure on a 3rd and 14. Throws a clutch strike to Martin for a first. EXCELLENT

2:18:28. Quick completion to Miller for a nice gain. OKAY

2:18:30. Check-down completion to Lynch for a first. OKAY

2:19:30. Cards bring the house, and as soon as Wilson takes the shotgun snap he guns it out to Baldwin, who drops it. Wilson knocked down. NICE

2:20:00. Short drop, quick completion to Edwards. NICE

2:20:30. Scrambles for a first on 3rd and 2. NICE

2:22:00. Has time, throws it away. OKAY

2:23:00. Has time, checks it down to Lynch for a short gain. OKAY

2:23:30. Jailhouse blitz on a 3rd and 5. No time. Sacked in a second. OKAY

2:26:00. Game on the line on a 4th and 5. Blitz. Wilson stands tall and throws a ball that Rice, despite the interference, could have caught for a TD. EXCELLENT

2:27:00. Ball thrown in the corner of the endzone, perfectly placed to Edwards. CB makes a nice play to knock it down. NICE

2:27:30. Bullet to Baldwin for a TD, the throw placed where only he could catch it, but doesn’t. NICE

2:30:00. Hits Edwards dead center, who is interfered with for an incompletion. NICE

2:36:40. Throws to Rice in the endzone. Either it was a poor throw or Rice didn’t make the move Wilson expected. Either way, POOR

2:37:30. Fade to Martin broken up by the defender. Ball fairly well placed, but Martin may have fallen out of bounds if he held on. OKAY

2:38:30. Game on the line, 4th down, not much time left, a clutch throw to Edwards, who can’t reel it in. EXCELLENT

How it adds up:

EXCELLENT: 5
    NICE: 17
    OKAY: 24
    POOR: 4
    BAD/TERRIBLE: 3

65. klm008: Carroll said that Okung got kicked on that final drive, so I don’t believe he was compensating for something earlier in the game. But players are usually playing with some type of nagging injury that we are not aware of.

66. Hawksince77 says:

So based on that evaluation, Wilson’s performance grades out to a 2.23, or C+.

67. You have 10 Nices or Excellents on the last drive. That’s pretty good. I’ll take that from a rookie in his first start against a tough defense away from home.

68. FleaFlicker says:

Damn, 77. That’s some serious dedication to the film study. You’re making my Seahawks obsession seem pretty pedestrian. ;-)

69. Hawksince77,

Awesome status….so what’s your conclusion? So far, so good for DangerRuss.

We, and by we I mean you, should try to find a similar game for T-Jack and provide a comparison as a baseline.

Nice work 77 :=)

70. Hawksince77,

By the way, those grades add up to a C- and that’s really the best case scenario….a tougher grader could drop it down to a D-.

71. Hawksince77 says:

Audible,

On a 4 point scale, 2.23 is clearly a C+ (where a B is 3.0 and a D 1.0). So not sure how you get a C-. That would be a 1.7 or so. But yes, a different evaluation of each play could certainly push the average lower.

As far as conclusions, I came away with the following:

1 – Wilson didn’t look like, or play like, a rookie. Nine times out of ten in the waning seconds of a game, the QB turns the ball over on downs, throws a pick in the endzone, or gets sacked and fumbles. Rarely do you see the last second TD for the win. A few examples come to mind: Santonio Holmes tip-toe catch from Rothlesberger in the Super Bowl. The amazing last second throw from Favre to some WR that just joined the team in Minnisota a few years ago. But it’s really hard to do, for any QB, and Wilson never flinched on those 3rd and 4th down plays.

2 – lots of criticism of the play-calling, but I saw several quick passes that worked.

3 – lots of criticism of Wilson scrambling too much, but I didn’t see any case where he wasn’t under direct pressure. Every sack was unavoidable (after the snap) and every scramble resulted in positive yards, in a couple of cases first downs.

4 – I saw very few unadvised throws, the two most prominent the laterals. Poor play call, but even poorer decision to actually throw the ball, given the defense. Wilson otherwise never threw the ball into coverage; rarely threw the ball anywhere near a defender (the one throw to Rice with Peterson covering an exception); never threw the ball up for grabs (other than the hail mary at the end of the half).

5 – to beat an excellent defense requires a great throw and a great catch. Wilson wasn’t going to find a guy wide open in the endzone, and he didn’t, so every play had to be spot on, and yes, his WR had to make a play. But there weren’t any other options. If Wilson throws it closer to the WR, the defender has a play on the ball. While I have read comments about his erratic accuracy, all I witnessed was excellent ball placement on several difficult passes.

6 – several comments about Wilson throwing high. Without going back and counting, there were very few incompletions due to this. The pass to Obo was a throw-away (I believe). The hail mary was just that: a throw he doesn’t make otherwise. The worst over-throw was on a 3rd and 3 where he missed Edwards for the first. Another was a pass just out of range of Rice. But that’s it. A high percentage of his passes hit the WR in the hands.

7 – Wilson never looked out of control, or indecisive, or rattled, despite being constantly under seige. He was hit something like 7 times, and sacked 3. He hung in the pocket on several occasions, getting nailed after delivering the ball. That was impressive.

8 – on Wilson’s extended scrambles, and when he had plenty of time, I had no way to evaluate if he missed any plays down field. It’s quite possible that he did, and if so, would count against him.

9 – on Wilson’s ability to read the defense and alter protections. Again, I am not qualified to judge, and this could be a place where being a rookie really showed up.

10 – I don’t know how much lee-way Wilson had to alter the play at the line of scrimmage. I don’t recall seeing him audible, and without that weapon, he would be more vulnerable to what the defense did. A veteran QB would have more options at his disposal, so again, that’s where being a rookie showed up.

11 – If someone did a similar breakdown of all the QBs who played this past week, Wilson’s results would rank somewhere in the middle, perhaps a little higher. If you factor in the quality of the defense and his first-time experience, he would rank near the top. If you did this for Weeden or Tannehil, the comparison would be shockingly painful for Browns and Dolphin fans.

Final comment: having said all this, I worked hard to see Wilson’s game as objectively as I could. I have noted that several posters who favored one player or another see exactly what they want to see in this game: supporters of Flynn see a poor-playing rookie, and evidence that PC made the wrong decision. Those who favored Wilson (including myself) have tended to see the brighter side of the game. My goal here was to watch the game closely and attempt to keep an open mind and judge from that. Whether I have succeeded or not is hard to tell. I still see in Wilson the same excellence I watched in his college film. I still see an exceptional QB (taking into account that this was his first professional start) and all the fundamental ability that bodes well for the Seahawk future.

If I can see it, so can the coaches. Baring injury, Flynn will never see the field in Seattle. Wilson’s the real deal, and we will see nothing but rapid improvement and QB excellence through-out the coming year.

72. Hawksince77 says:

To complete the analysis, of the 39 throws I charted (this includes penalties, so won’t necessarily match up to the official stat line), I count:

Poorly thrown passes that resulted in incompletions or turnovers: 8 (21%)
    Passes on target: 26 (67%)
    Passes thrown away: 5 (13%)

73. Hawksince77 says:

In the final drive, there were 15 total passes:

Poorly thrown passes that resulted in incompletions: 1 (7%)
    Passes on target: 13 (87%)
    Passes thrown away: 1 (7%)