Morning links: Reaction to Hawks 20-16 loss

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 10, 2012 at 7:29 am with 89 Comments »
September 10, 2012 7:29 am
Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Andre Roberts (12) scores a touchdown as Seattle Seahawks cornerback Brandon Browner defends during the second half of an NFL football game, Sunday, Sept. 9, 2012, in Glendale, Ariz. (AP Photo/Ross D. Franklin)

Seattle Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll’s press conference is at 3 p.m. today. I will be hosting our regular Monday Morning QB chat at noon.

But for now, we take a spin around the web this morning to get reaction for Seattle’s 20-16 opening-season loss to Arizona down in the desert on Sunday.

Here’s my game story. The Seahawks are now 0-5 on potential, game-winning drives dating back to 2011. Arizona defensive end Darnell Dockett had this to say about Seattle quarterback Russell Wilson: “He’s only like 5-7 or so. It was just one of those things, we had to bend down to go get him. We contained him very well today, but he is going to be an athletic, dynamic quarterback in the future. Today, we just got the best of him.”

John McGrath of The News Tribune writes that he’s not ready to give up on Russell Wilson just yet.

Wilson remains optimistic after Seattle’s loss in his first NFL start. “I’m definitely focused and excited to move on to the next game. That’s the way I’ve always been whether win or lose. That’s the way you have to stay. I think the main thing for me is to stay focused on what we can control, how we can get better and just keep fighting.”

Leon Washington looked like his old self on returns against the Cardinals. “It totally sparked our second-half run,” Seattle fullback Michael Robinson said about his teammate. “That’s what this team’s all about – one phase is down, and the other phase picks them up. It just wasn’t enough today.”

Check out a photo gallery from the game here.

ESPN’s Mike Sando says the Cardinals’ defense made Wilson look like a rookie on Sunday.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com makes Leon Washington his player of the game.

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times writes the cutting Kellen Winslow didn’t help Seattle, specifically on the final drive.

Jerry Brewer of the Seattle Times writes that Seattle’s fourth-quarter struggles struck a familiar refrain.

Art Thiel of Sportspressnw.com writes that although he came up short on the final drive, Wilson gets a passing grade on his first start.

Former NFL official Mike Pereira writing for Fox Sports breaks down the reason Seattle received a fourth timeout at the end of the game.

Kent Somers of the Arizona Republic reports that quarterback John Skelton appears to have suffered a high-ankle sprain and not a fracture. It also includes a note on why Arizona’s no-huddle offense was effective in the team’s game-winning drive.

Darren Urban of azcardinals.com expands on Arizona’s effectiveness in the no-huddle offense.

Morning links
  1. JMSeaTown says:

I would be feeling a lot better this morning if that would have been a Loss to a team we “were supposed to lose to”…

To watch Kolb march down the field like that was painful.

The NFL needs the regular refs back. Across the league, the replacements were atrocious.

There are no supposed to lose or win teams. Not in this league.

4. RDPoulsbo says:

Anyone wondering if the 3 way competition going as late as it did hurt Wilson’s rapport with his receivers? In addition to paring down the playbook, you have to wonder if that had an effect on the anemic offense. The pass protection was a factor as well, but hopefully Moffit will be back next week and Okung is ok.

There is no question that Moffitt needs to start, if healthy. Sweezy isnt ready, yet. At all.

6. princeaden says:

I felt that Wilson didn’t get much help from anywhere. Bevell had the training wheels on way too long. The receivers seem to quit on many routes(they should be working back to their QB when the play breaks down) the defense couldn’t hold when they needed it most. Hauschka missed his field goal attempt early, which would’ve made him the Hero at the end had he made the one to win it. The handcuffs that Wilson had on for 3.5 quarters were the same ones that cost Flynn the starting job in the QB competition. The Defense will be fine and Wilson will be fine, I’m not sold on Bevell though. Just my opinion.

7. I wasn’t terribly disappointed with Wilson’s play. I was terribly disappointed with the defense making Kolb look like Tom Brady. Coming cold off the bench, he dissected them with ease. The pass rush needs to be much, much better if they want to be playoff contenders.

8. yakimahawk says:

Duke..I do agree there are “no supposed to wine lose games” in the NFL, but there is no reason why we didn’t win by a fairly large margin, at least that what the expectations were. Now we know that our Oline is NOT way beyond last year the defense cant get a consistent pass rush (against a horrible AZ oline). Which were the keys to the game. BTW if Flynn were in the game yesterday he would on IR by now. I think RW did a good job for the most part of his rookie debut. But I give our coaching staff a big fat F all around the ball. Tom Cable should be ashamed of himself!!!

9. ChrisHolmes says:

Too many problems.

1) No defensive pressure

2) Pass blocking sucked

3) Receivers who can’t catch the ball

4) Conservative, anemic play-calling (I really, really dislike Bevell)

Sad. Disappointed. Angry.

10. yakimahawk says:

10-6 is a pipe dweam and 9-7 looks to be as well. Looking at SF trashing GB and with our schedule this year 8-8 looks more like it. BTW PC said the penaties “Just have to stop”…? What? there were worse than most games last year. When do the coaches take some accountability for this?

11. HawkyHann says:

Mebane is stout. He is very good. Wagner looked solid.

Sweezy should not be starting. I’m not sure if the Oline knows how to pass block. Put McQ at LT, Carp at RG, and Moffitt back at LG. Now.

12. sluggo42 says:

I have concluded that we almost won this game even with a blistering Defense breathing down our neck all day. So many close plays that could have changed things. (I know – but they didn’t). But even so, I think AZ is tougher than everyone thought, and so we will see how next week goes to get a real grasp of where we stand.

If we get mauled by Dallas, and AZ gets crushed by whoever they play, then we can start wringin our hands in angst.

But if we play Dallas tough, and AZ plays tough, then we are allrite.

Pete is couning on RW to absorb the speed of the real game quickly, and I think he has a better game plan to work with next week.

My main concern had to be OKung. I mean seriously, what was that? He could have had another few false starts on top of the ones he did have. Now hurt again? I was actually waiting for him to limp off the field the whole game… You just knew it was coming…

13. seahawk44 says:

14. yakimahawk says:

“dream” sorry but dweam may be more like it because I feel like a child today , with all the whining I have been doing about the game yesterday. What a letdown!

15. seahawk44 says:

Does anyone have game Stats on % of plays that the defense blitzed for each team?

16. “I tend to agree with Danny O’neill ……Winslow might have made a difference in the outcome in the end as a red zone presence.”

Yes, Winslow was supposed to make up for the loss of BMW, who feasted on the Cards in 2010.

17. owenbytheway says:

So, where were all the schemes and plays the Hawks were saving for the first game of the regular season?

Maybe the staff took too much vanilla and became addicted.

18. Re Winslow – esp when you factor in that the guy we brought in to replace him was on the field for 1 play.

Really frustrating, the day after, is how many shots we had to win this game. One guy gets open, one guy makes a play on any of those 4-5 chances, and it’s a 23-20 win on the road against a divisional opponent and a fine way to start the season.

But as I was watching those chances happen, the thought in my head was that the odds were no better than 50/50 that we’d score. Our offense still isn’t there. Maybe we should’ve made a run at Mike Wallace when that oppty was there . . .

19. yakimahawk says:

One thing I hope Eric can expand on today is this. If AZ was throwing 6-7 guys at us most of the game how is it our receivers can’t get open? Are they really that bad?

My girlfriend, (who doesn’t know anything about football) said to me before the end of the game, ” why is the qb throwing ball everywhere except to the WRs? Can’t they bring in another QB to replace him like they do in Baseball with a relief Pitcher?” Lol.

No, Wilson didn’t play great but neither did Luck.

And I agree some with Dockett that they just got the best of him this game.

I’m not concerned with Wilson at all. Now the pass protection, that’s another story.
    Seems like Cables passion for developing and finding players to be road graders has been at the expensive of finding and developing pass protecters. I would think the later would be just as important in a passing league.

21. You have to earn every win in this league.

I got to see the game up to where we tied it at 13 all so I missed most of the fourth quarter. It felt like the longest game I have ever seen up until that point. A couple of things:

If you are attacking the Hawks O-Line on passing downs, you load up on the right side (Sweezy, Giacomini) and you are in the backfield.

Winslow would be a nice option to have on offense.

22. chrisj122 says:

Yes, our O.L. should have protected better but with a rookie starting his first game at QB what do think an opposing D is gonna do. They are going to blitz and blitz often! They were licking their chops and it worked!

I don’t want here the B.S. line about “growing pains”, “taking his lumps”, or “learning curve”! Flynn is more suited and ready right now to win!

The reality is we would not have even been in this game if not for Leon Washington! Without Washington the last drive doesn’t even matter.

23. orbeavhawk says:

Can BEVELL!

24. Wilson played pretty darn good considering the pressure he was under the entire game. For a rookie in his first start on the road in a hostile environment, he nearly pulled off a great comeback W. All he can do is put the ball into the hands of his WRs (twice) and hope a paid professional can reel in a catch. Very disappointing end to the game, and we even got a 4th timeout to figure things out. If you get that kid on a bootleg and let him run or pass, I think he scores.

The only other comment I have is that I was especially bummed to see Okung cheating and drawing those false starts. For a veteran, he looked skiddish and unsure of his abilities. Not the type of play I’d expect from a top 10 draft pick, or the “leader” of the O-line.

25. “Wilson was confused and indecisive and our W.R. were open but Wilson could not see them.”

Where do you get that from? Do you have the NFL-22 package? I’m honestly curious. Didn’t seem to me like he was missing open guys.

I think our receivers and TE’s are among the slowest in the league. I was for Flynn as the starter coming into this season too, but I didn’t see RW’s play as the chief problem yesterday. I thought he handled himself OK, not great, but not terrible either, under the pressure of AZ’s defense.

26. yakimahawk says:

@chrisj122

Explain please…I taped the game watched it 3 times and AZ DB’s shut or receivers down, it was an embarrament. I am not saying Flynn is ready or not he may be…But saying our receivers were open is very confusing. In all of my watching and re-watching the game it looks like our WR’s were wearing red blankets.

27. “If you get that kid on a bootleg and let him run or pass, I think he scores.”

That’s the play call I was looking/hoping for at the end. He always ends up rolling right, so I was hoping they’d call a planned bootleg left, and let him see what he could improvise.

28. Bevell isn’t the problem.

The Seahawks had two problems 1) receivers dropping passes and 2) penalties. One penalty (Clemons offside) took away an interception.

People complaining about Wilson should just try to remember this was his first game – he will get much better very quickly as he gets game time experience.

29. Guys – the sky isn’t falling. Relax.

30. Beanie Wells and Ryan Williams – starting AZ RB’s – 15 carries for 23 yards. Our D is as stout against the run as we could have hoped. Our DB’s made Fitzgerald, one of the best WR’s in the league, disappear.

I think, apart from one drive, the defense played more or less as well as I’d been hoping. The one drive was obviously a key one, and it’s still crazy to me that it went down like it did. But I’m not worried about the defense.

31. FOX did a pretty good job of showing the WRs during the replays and the Seahawks WRs were tightly covered and once they ran their initial route, they gave up. I don’t know if was because they felt Wilson wasn’t going to get it to them or they just didn’t feel like they could beat the Cardinals DBs.

But on the replays FOX chose to show, the Cardinals DBs owned the Seahawks WRs.

32. “FOX did a pretty good job of showing the WRs during the replays and the Seahawks WRs were tightly covered and once they ran their initial route, they gave up.”

Yeah, noticed that too. Every time. Seemed like many of the routes were literally just running straight lines down the field, and not much else.

Braylon Edwards doesn’t start on a good team. And I don’t know where Baldwin was yesterday.

I think it was you Pabuwal, or maybe another poster, who made the point – one reason AZ was able to blitz our rookie QB all game w/out fear is that our receivers don’t scare anyone. Who’s going to burn them and make them pay? Sydney is good – but he’s not better (or faster) than Patrick Peterson. so why not just keep sending 6 or 7?

33. ruminator1 says:

I know a lot of folks on here cannot stand to listen to Hugh Millen pontificate. Generally, I agree, but sometimes he says stuff that makes me think. This morning on KJR he focused on Wilson. Said that Wilson threw to the wrong spots (e.g., up high with a soft pass, not on a slant or to the sideline, or with a hard pass), that he had receivers open a full step and didn’t deliver (one to Baldwin he claimed was a sure td). He gave several other examples of things Wilson didn’t do or didn’t see. Millen not exactly a Wilson basher, but he clearly prefers Flynn. He seemed to feel that Flynn would have performed better at these basic situations. He acknowkledged that Flynn might not have survived the game as Wilson’s elusiveness saved several situations. Not sure if this discussion can be heard still, but if so, I think it is worth a listen. In the midst of all the strong pro Wilson and anti Wilson chat here, a few have simply cautioned about not going overboard at this early stage. That seems prudent to me. I really like RW, think he brings both talent and focus and especially energy and a will to win. But he does need to learn things.
    some other thoughts and questions:
    I see McGrath added to practice squad. Interesting they do it now. Why was Moore not used more? To me, he would have been a great option at the end. Trufant is a definite handicap. Why do some Seattle tacklers always aim high instead of making a sure tackle?
    Finally, it is obvious the pre-season made many of us overly optimistic. I am of the opinion that while we may yet reach some of those lofty heights, it is not going to come quickly and there will be other pains along the way. It is nuts to claim Arizona or St Louis are weak teams. They are competitive teams, can win or almost win lots of games, a danger. SF really is a very good team. It is not inconcievable that we could win the division, but it sure is not anywhere near a lock or even, imo, a reasonable expectation at this point. I am hopeful that this dose of realism (this game)puts on hold the debates about Wilson vs. Flynn and the predictions of Superbowl etc etc. I think the approach and attitude of Wilson is what we all need to adopt–hard work, hard study, better execution will lead to a stronger and more successful team.

34. pdway – I was hoping Lockette could develop or they could give Owens time to work through re-adjusting to the speed of the game. Otherwise, I’ve had a hard time trying to figure out which WR on the team makes a defense pay for man to man coverage.

Harbaugh gave time for Moss to re-adjust and it paid off for him yesterday. He also puts a premium on continuity. But Carroll wants to see results right now and unless its Golden Tate, he doesn’t want to give any time to build continuity or get up to speed.

I’m a Wilson fan, however I think it’s fair to criticise him. He’s probably his worst critic.

Now someone else that I have held back from criticising up until now has cost us alot more than Wilson, (third round pick) did.

0-sacks.
    0-tackles.

Paul McQuistan had more tackles, ( 1 ) than our #1 pick and he doesn’t play defense! That’s just pathetic, imo.

36. Some good comments above, like Galena re loading up on the right side against Sweazy & Giacomini. But watching this game seemed to also point up how both we fans and the media, both the showy and the “analytical” kinds as well, are mostly clueless about what’s really going with a team…at least before the real games like this begin. For if we based our most hopeful expectations on what we read, heard, and even watched firsthand at VMAC, everything about the Seahawks offense seemed almost upside down yesterday. E.g., if Yakimahawk above is right…& it sure seemed like he says: as the Cards were bringing the kitchensink at us nearly every play, how then could our WR’s not be getting enough separation? What I’m wondering also if starting Wilson & Sweazy(bright and potential they seem in “practice”) wasn’t really not very bright on PC’s and Cable’s part, and moreover almost seemed like it may have had a cascading effect on how the rest of the offense looked, which was not all that different really from how the offense was at the same time early last year…with of course almost everyone new. So, while it may be more hopeful this year in having a bit more depth and therefore ability to make some more adjustments for improvement more quickly…this game, nonetheless, did seem like the season ahead is not all that bright. So another slow start, and getting better too late, like last year…or 8-8, or at best MAYBE 9-7? And with the Cowboys and Packers next, home games or not, does not look like much to crow about this year once again. But Wilson is not going to role over (nor are our coaches), so I’ll be watching…the O-line principally, Wilson’s reads and quick-releases, and whether we’ve got enough WRs able to get open and hold onto the ball…as well as Sherman did yesterday for the defense.

37. Soggybuc says:

Give the Cards D some credit as they played well. not really surprising the way they blitzed as Wisenhunt is a Steeler guy and has built his D in that mode.

Millen can be annoying at times and while not a good one he was an NFL QB for more than a year so he knows more about breaking film down than everyone on this blog combined.

38. MoSeahawk12 says:

Last Saturday when they cut Winslow, I was surprised and disappointed. Not that he was going to be our main go to guy, but that they signed him knowing how much his contract was and his overall knee health. Then he spent the entire summer working with the team and based on lots of reporting was doing a great job and wasn’t being difficult or anything. Carroll says they worked on red zone stuff a ton as it was a major problem last season. Winslow was heavily involved with that and probably knew it like the back of his hand. To cut him one week before the season was just such a waste of that time. Time he had with our system and our rookie QB. Time that another tight end, any tight end would not remotely have a chance to replicate in one week. I felt this was a huge mistake and had concerns that if the game was close and we needed a play late, would we be able to execute and win the game. I’m not saying that Winslow would have been open in the end zone and made the catch, but with Miller staying into block and the new tight end not playing at all, it would have certainly been a better option. I was on the 12 yard line three rows from the field next to the corner of the endzone that Wilson threw up those three straight passes. From my angle you could see that weren’t going to work. The DB’s ran right to the corner as if they knew that’s where the pass was going. There was no creativity during that series and our QB might have well as just thrown up hail marys. Now if Baldwin makes what would have been an amazing catch, we win the game and all of us are going to work happy today. But Baldwin wasn’t involved in the game and it was obvious that he missed a lot of time. He wasn’t open and didn’t find the open spots that he was so great at doing last year. Winslow being a viable option during that series could have made the difference between 0-1 and 1-0. His replacement not even in the game at that point. Also, don’t be too hard on Edwards as he had a solid game. That last pass the went off his fingertips was just a bad pass. He was open, Wilson threw the ball about 200mph and he was fully extended about three feet off the ground. I mean, you could hear the whistle of the ball. Wilson had been throwing high for much of the game. Sure Edwards is a pro, but being there, I’m not sure any receiver could have come down with that. Too high, too much fastball. Wilson will learn and get better. He played well for how bad the line was not protecting. I didn’t see our line move AZ back the whole game. Marshawn played way better than his stats reflect. He was getting hit as soon he got to the line. They had no push and he was able to get two-three yards with guys on him all day. His back had to be feeling good as he took serious punishment. From the stands, it looked like we thought we’d just be able to run the ball on them all day and didn’t really have a backup plan to pass if that didn’t work. Our routes were bland and didn’t cause the AZ db’s to work much. Peterson is good, but he was never really challenged all day. It looked like practice for him. We need to throw some creativity into our gameplan. All this talk from Carroll and Cable about how our O-line is much further than they were at the beginning of last season and that we are even better than we were at the end of last season is BS. They didn’t move AZ’s line, didn’t pass block well and looked like they hadn’t played together. We don’t have eight games for these guys to figure it out. D Ware is coming to town and if they don’t step it up big time, he will have three or four sacks. The last thing I’ll add is that I was at the game about two hours before kickoff. There were lots of Seahawks fans walking about in full Hawk gear. That was super cool and I love seeing the support. The 12th man was everywhere and that made me proud to be a Seahawk fan. Talking with several Cardinal fans before the game, they actually felt we were going to beat them. They were really nervous about their line and even though Skelton won the QB job, they didn’t feel like he would be able to handle our defense. It was interesting to hear concerns from them as the last game I went to they were very cocky and irritating. As they game started and they seemed to take our best punch, the fans started really getting into it and you could feel the confidence build. By the end of the game they were as cocky and irritating as ever. We gave them that and it shouldn’t have happened. Large misstep by the coaching staff and game plan. I hope losing this game serves up a large plate full of preseason means nothing and preseason ranking can go in the garbage as well. Refocus and double your efforts against the Cowboys or we will be toast. Hang in there Seahawks fans. Too early to throw in the towel.

39. bulldog80 says:

I agree with princeaden and others that are throwing the scrutiny at Bevell. I was wondering about the plays the entire game. With all of the blitzing that was the best that we can do to try to take advantage? Not one screen, other than those crappy outside WR passes of course. At least Holmgren could get a good draw play once in a while. Dropping back every down is going to equal a very long season for Mr. Wilson.

The blitzing of Wilson had less to do with their receivers and nearly everything to do with giving him looks he has never see in a live game before. Blitzing a rookie QB is a tried and true strategy. It’s as old as the modern game itself. His receivers had nothing to do with that.

41. NWPoseidon says:

Why is everyone acting like the sky is falling? The Giants were sketch all year and pulled it together because they have the talent. Luck, Weeden and tannehill all three at least 3 INTs. Wilson had 1 bogus punt/int at the end of the first half. AZ has a solid defense and got to RW but he still protected the ball unlike those other rooks. I was watching the DEN-PiTT game afterwards and all te receivers were catching tougher passes than anything RW was throwing to ours. Our receivers need to make plays for RW, if they do yesterday then everyone is praising RW for a game winning drive and looking composed. It was his first game and he has shown he doesn’t make the same mistakes twice, so I expect improvement next week anyways. Lastly, every team is going to have hiccups during the season, even the SB champs, and I prefer we have them early and get them corrected rather than start hot and die down the stretch. We can lose 6 games people and no game in the NFL is a gimme no matter what some think. Any given Sunday.

Let the team study the tape, learn and correct. If we are 0-3 in 3 weeks then feel free to freak out. Chicken Littles, please go away and come back another rainy day.

Who are Winslow and Owens playing for right now?

43. grizindabox24 says:

2 of the balls thrown by RW into the end zone at the end were not good. Sad that they did not even look the way of a TE when in the red zone. I think that Flynn would have made a difference at the end. The way the game went really did not surprise me.

44. Holy crap. Nothing personal, but if I see a page-long comment with no spaces, I’m scrolling right on past it.

45. grizindabox24 says:

I also do not think that Winslow and Owens would have been the difference.

46. It’s over reaction Monday..
    It seemed most of the blitzes came up the middle. Aren’t you supposed to attack the area vacated by the blitzer?
    The middle looked wide open whenever they pressured..
    But no quick routes called. Anybody see Evan Moore? Inactive?

47. “Not one screen, other than those crappy outside WR passes of course.”

Yeah, can we please delete that play from our playbook? Those backward passes fooled nobody, and cost us yesterday.

48. tchristensen says:

Where was Anthony McCoy? The run defense was stout, Arizona only gained 43 yards on the ground. I still don’t understand why Kolb was not blitzed on the TD drive.

49. I’m not sure it’s fair to name any one thing that lost (or could have won) that game for us. A game is an accumulation of play.

Therefore:

*Having Winslow might have helped
    *Recievers coming back on failed routes to help RW–might have helped
    *Less penealties might have helped
    *Better play-calling might have helped

It’s tough as a fan though, when you have that close of a game, and feel like x might have put you over the top. But ultimately there are multiple ways we could have won that game–and thus ways to improve in moving forward.

50. When Okung got injured he was back pedaling and fell over Max Unger.
    Didn’t look too serious, Hope he’s ok.
    Didn’t the coaches talk about changing his technique a little?
    Either he needs a bit more time trying to perfect it or let him go back to the style that allowed him success against Julius Peppers as a rookie..

51. ruminator1 says:

Moore active–one play. I would have loved to see him in at the last sequence.
    Millen–not a bad QB at all, played pro about 10 yrs. 6′ 5″, good arm, smart, just not a frontliner.

52. RDPoulsbo says:

On Kolb’s final drive, they went no huddle. This was also Wagner’s 1st time calling the defense, so that’s likely some growing pains trying to get the defense set up in that situation. We might see other teams taking notice and using the no huddle in the future. Hopefully, they can fix that in a hurry. Wagner needs to be able to recognize what’s going on and make the proper defensive adjustments at the line.

Bevell’s playcalling isn’t the problem on offense. The problem is Wilson doesn’t have full command of the playbook. That’s why they pared it down to about 20 or so plays. Conservative playcalling was to be expected. The only thing that’s going to fix that is Wilson learning more of the playbook.

53. “On Kolb’s final drive, they went no huddle. This was also Wagner’s 1st time calling the defense, so that’s likely some growing pains trying to get the defense set up in that situation. We might see other teams taking notice and using the no huddle in the future.”

that’s a good point.

mocarob – I too was surprised we didn’t see any crack screens or Wilson dump it Lynch right over the middle.

Wagner is making the deffensive calls now? Wright had been all summer. When did this change?

56. Rd, good point about Bevell not being the issue. But even with a vanilla scheme, I think we could have made our play calling less predictable.

57. MoSeahawk12 says:

Sorry Cornutt, you’re totally correct. I just found the spacebar. Version 2.0. Still long though.

58. chrisj122 says:

AZ did have tight coverage on our W.R. but there were times our W.R. were open by NFL standards but Wilson hesitated. At the NFL level if a QB even flinches on a timing route, it’s to late.

Trying to hit a W.R. on a timing route when the opposing D is blitzing at every turn is very difficult for any QB let alone a rookie.

That was my only point. Wilson did well for a rookie but he is still a rookie and it will take time for him to learn how to deal with blitzes and reading D’s.

I just don’t have the patience to wait when I think we could win now.

59. Russel Wilson was the least of our problems yesterday. I give him a B and possible an A- if we’re grading on the curve. This his first NFL game against a good defense and he was harassed all day but still put us in a position to win the game.

The missed field goal looms large because that final driver would have won it with a field goal. Then the dropped passes.

— Sweezy was a turnstyle.
    — The defense let down when Kolb came in.
    — There were 13 penalties.
    — On the final driver, Wilson had a list three catchable throws, so I blame the receivers for dropping the balls more than anything.

Makes you wonder if Winslow or TO would have done any better.

60. Lol, thanks Mo!

61. chrisj122 says:

I say Leon Washington put us in a situation to win more so than Wilson. The only reason that last drive even mattered was because of Leon Washington setting up our offense not once but twice.

62. chrisj122 says:

You all must admit even losing and bickering this is alot more fun than it was a week ago!

Dukeshire- I think Wagner has been making the calls since around the first pre season game.

I remember Eric posting an article about how quick Wagner was picking up the calls on defense and that the FO felt comfortable with him making the calls.

64. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

chrisj122,

No, I think I was better off a week ago. At least then my expectations were high, and the promise of a winning season gave me a lot to look forward to. Now, after reality has set in, I’m beginning to dread the season. I mean we have a tough schedule. Although my disappointment from yesterday is tainting my view, and I know that it was only 1 game, if we lost the Cardinals how many games can we realistically expect to win this season? Delusion and denial are better than disappointment that results from reality.

65. owenbytheway says:

As I pontificated last weekend, Winslow will be re-signed.

Mo12 and Griz24, yeah, was it worth the guarantee they will save over what they will pay him now???

RD, please point out ANY new plays they gave Wilson yesterday. Remember, the staff said “they were saving some” when questioned about the vanilla pre-season.

So, they couldn’t give him anything new?

Sorry, methinks he’s brighter than that.

Bevell choked more than Wilson.

66. RDPoulsbo says:

Wright was calling the plays in the OTAs and minicamps, but Wagner started calling the D in TC. I’m actually a little worried other offenses will play more no huddle to confuse the defense. That really has to be a point of emphasis before next Sunday.

Cornutt: I’m not sure how they can avoid not being predictable when the playbook is pared back. This also means hot routes and audibles to take advantage of weaknesses in the defensive alignments are severely limited as well. Line protections also go along with that. With AZ’s blitz happy defense, they were particularly set up to take advantage of that. It sucks, but that all comes with starting a rookie QB.

67. owenbytheway says:

Oh, yeah, they will resign Winslow tomorrow, if not today.

that may have to do with the problem to Martin’s lung or other receivers fingers, but, I think the whole thing was a set-up.

GeorgiaHawk – We can ask during the chat, because witht he 1s, it was Wright. Eric will clarify, and I could certainly be wrong.

69. Strategicdust says:

It was a disappointing loss but there were positives that came out of the game.
    1. Wilson did drive the team down the field and put them in position to win at the end of the game. The pass to Baldwin should have been caught.
    2. The run defense was strong, the pass defense was softer than I expected. We generated pressure but you expect more facing their patchwork line.
    3. Special teams had a good day. The returns from Washington and containing Peterson were an indication that things are better than last year.
    Disappointments:
    1.Sweezy was simply not ready to be a starter, there were several instances of him completely missing his man/assignment.
    2.Irvin was not even a presence let alone a force. It’s going to take time with him until he learns more technique.
    3.This defense needs to learn how to survive a no huddle offense. They’e going to keep seeing it until they figure it out.

70. Sparky12 says:

Just two words: Fire Darrell Bevell

His conservative play calling stinks. You have a QB in Wilson who can let it fly and can think for himself, and Bevell shackles the kid to such limited plays that AZ is all over it all day.

FIRE BEVELL!

71. chrisj122 says:

DisplacedHawk:

It was very disappointing and I have a very real concern about how our team will fair against stronger opponents but in the last 30 sec. of that game I was thinking to myself when was the last time I was this excited about the possiblity’s of the next 30 sec.

Dissapointing, Yes but totally exilerating!

72. mojjonation says:

Winslow failed a physical for the Patriots last week (reportedly it was a knee issue). How will he pass a physical for us if he has already failed one for another team?

There is blame all around on this one. Bevell gets tagged for bad play calling. Wilson gets tagged for some bad passes and missing Edwards being wide open at the end. The D, they must have been laughing too hard when Kolb came in to make a difference. AZ had no first downs and something along the lines of 25 yards of offense for the entire second half before that one drive. Kolb came in at roughly the 8-9 minute remaining mark (I think). The D had pretty much shut them down all day. They finished with 253 yards and they got 80 on that final drive.

Flynn would have been meat on a hook if he started.

How about some slants, delayed draws, shovel passes, screens, bubble screens, desigend roll outs (for the love of god go left) to counter act the constant blitzing. That is on Bevell and only Bevell. Wilson doesn’t call his own plays…yet.

73. jchawks08 says:

I usually like to scroll through the comments before I make a comment, but one thing I’d like to say is that though I like Russell Wilson a lot, by starting him, we are giving up what I think is a sure playoff spot. Thats just the bottom line when you have a rookie QB. Should we have won this game? Heck yes. But when you’ve got a rookie QB these are the kinds of games you lose. I just hope everyone is OK with that, and understands that. What I hoped would be a 10-6 season sure is looking like a sure 7-9. It’s early, duh. Things could get better. But our schedule isn’t going to do us any freakin’ favors. And this is just one fan’s opinion, so don’t bash me for being a hater. Just being realistic. I wanted Playoffs this year, and we needed this win. Bleh.

74. wallinator says:

@Displaced & others – feel free to get off The 12th Man train if you are already giving up on 2012. 1 game does not make a season, and I’d rather have fixable issues in September than December. Each week is a new chapter. Every facet of Seattle’s play can & will improve…..hopefully sooner rather than later.

75. Penalties,

penalties killed them last year, it looks like it’s going to be a problem this year like it was last year. They had what… 14 penalties? 2 where pass interference, and 2 personal fouls. They need to get that under control. They were the most penalized team in the NFL last year, and it looks like they’re going to repeat that if they don’t get it under control

76. jchawks08 says:

And yea, Sweezy was awful. Just awful. It wasn’t all on him, but I lost count of how many times I saw Cardinals D-Line man running just as free as can be up the middle. I’m not even going to mention or wonder if Flynn would of been able to recognize AZ’s D packages.. Too early for that, but.. What if? hahahahah
    And Bruce Irvin. Well, if the preseason is any indicator, we should see him on the stat sheet in game 4. How dissapointing.

77. wallinator says:

Wondering if Deon Butler’s and/or Kellen Winslow’s phone will be ringing with the 425 area code calling……

78. jchawks08 says:

Funny that so many people want Winslow back when it’s been mentioned numerous times that he failed his N.E. physical. Short term memory loss? Denial? N.E. is lying about the physical? smdh.

79. wallinator says:

@jc – there were reports to refute that initial report that he failed his NE physical.

80. SaigonSun says:

This hurts so much because we could have easily won this game despite AZs good defense.Wilson played pretty good for his first game in NFL.
    I am (again) calling for Bevell’s head simply b/c this guy has no business being an OC in the Pros. Last year we gave him a pass and blamedeverything on T-Jaks. Tarvaris was the sacrificial lamb and now ,he is gone. Who is next Bevell can ruin : Wilson , Flynn?
    Maybe Tarvaris wasn’t as stupid as his game showed us ; it may be Bevell’s coaching and play-calling. When he was in Mini, even Childress wouldn’t let him call the plays (we all know Childress wasn’t the brightest bulb on the Holliday Tree) So, why is PC allowing this man to stay with the team? Get rid of Bevell now !

81. owenbytheway says:

And if he had failed an NE physical, just how does that require the Hawks to lockstep on his health, 08?

Short term memory loss? No, a loss to a division rival…
    and a situation where the Hawks did not want to pay a guarantee of large proportio

Denial that we need help catching the ball?

Denial that Edwards was released by two teams?

Denial?

Yeah, denial that Bellichek always is honest and forthright

smbh?

82. SaigonSun says:

Yes, Dukeshire . I get your sarcasm; but, that is exactly what we need to do. Carroll better get down on his knees and beg KW to come back and, do the same with TO.
    Now, that Charly and Tate(r) are hurt and DCs are aware of Baldwin and pay attention to him, we are one injury ( to Rice) away to having no WRs at all. Edwards cannot carry this team all by himself.
    I say : bring back TO and Winslow.
    I love my Seahawks but,I’d rather win than lose.

83. jchawks08 says:

Ok, I’ll drop my sarcasm, and wait to see if the Hawks make a move on either Winslow or Owens today or this week. I mean, noone else has picked these guys up, so.. Why should Seattle? Sure they may know our scheme, but I think we all believe Pete and John only keep guys around whom they know can contribute. I just don’t understand all the calling for their return. That’s all. I was one that was all for Owens, then he pooped the bed all preseason save for one fantastic catch.
    smdh=shaking my damn head.
    Just not sure they’re the answer.

84. wallinator says:

I know I’m wondering about help at WR or TE because it’s obvious Seattle needs it, and has needed it for a few years. With the injuries yesterday….any help is better than none.

85. HeinieHunter says:

If Baldwin had held onto that TD pass (and it was a very tough catch) Russell Wilson would be THE MAN this morning! Moving the offense down the field and scored the winning TD with seconds left to play… and Hugh Millen (who has been down on Wilson since the moment he was drafted) would have to shut his freaking pie hole!

86. Vancouver_Hawk68 says:

Hi guys, I have been following the musings on this blog for years and would like to compliment the regulars on their intelligent insight. The occasional troll thankfully gets drowned out and usually disappears quickly (remember ACIB).

I was a bit worried about the (understandable) optimism in the comment section during the pre-season. This generally justified optimism has now been tempered by a dose of realism. Let’s not overreact though. The team had to start the season in a hostile environment against a division rival with a rookie quarterback. The defense completely shut down the run and generally allowed nothing in the third quarter. Not sure what the plan was on the defensive formation during the rushing touchdown but hey, correctable. Just like everybody else, I am wondering what the heck happened to the pass defense on the Kolb drive. On the positive side, All World Fitz had only four catches. The pass rush showed up in the second half but again, somewhat disappointing against a week O-line with two reserve tackles. Our shiny new toy from the first round looked like a boy amongst men. All in all, the defense will be fine if not quite elite (i.e. PIT or BAL of old).

The offense seems to be able to sustain a running game even against a very good defense. There is more depth at running back and this aspect of the offense looks strong, complimented by RW running skills. Everyone has seen that the problems are with the passing game. The protection is not very good and it should have been worse if all of Okung’s false starts would have been called. Our rookie OG/DT is great in run blocking but has not grasped the finer points of blitz pick-up. This weakness is amplified by the fact that RW is not seasoned enough to read a defensive formation, opt out of a play and improvise. Nevertheless, he showed incredible poise for a rookie under extreme pressure in the first half. In my opinion, he will improve quickly and so will the O-line in terms of pass protection. The other issue with passing game is the ability of receivers to get open. RW was forced into several throws into tight windows or even to throw it away because there was no separation. While that is problematic, there are two pass catching tight ends on the roster as well as two tall receivers. Throw it to them even when they are covered, particularly in the red zone. This is exactly what worked for BMW when Matt threw the ball to him. Despite all of those difficulties, RW led the offense down the field with plenty of opportunity to win the game.

In closing, I am a bit disappointed with the loss but please guys, remember the Mora year and how completely unwatchable that was with no hope of improvement. I am not sure if RW will be a Tom Brady but despite the loss, this team has potential and will hopefully make us happy later in the season. Until then, let’s not overreact. Apologies for the long post.

Go Hawks!!!!

87. SandpointHawk says:

Vancouver_Hawk68 welcome aboard and thanks for the well balanced post….

88. seahawk44 –
    Last Sunday RW had 43 total dropbacks and AZ blitzed him 23 times. Of those 23 plays vs AZ’s blitzes, RW ran 3 times, was sacked 3 times and threw 17 times (5 completions) 29.4 C% for 55 yds for an NFL QB rating of 40.6 when blitzed. RW’s NFL QB rating when not being blitzed was 84.9.

Last Sunday J.Skelton had 30 dropbacks of which SEA blitzed 12 times. Of those 12, JS ran once, was not sacked, threw 11 times (5 completions) 45.5 C% for 38 yds for an NFL QB rating of 54.4 when blitzed. JS’s NFL QB rating when not blitzed was 48.9.

Last Sunday K.Kolb had 8 dropbacks of which SEA blitzed 3 times. Of those 3, JS threw 3 times (3 completions) 100 C% for 40 yds and a TD for an NFL QB rating of 158.3 when blitzed. KK’s NFL QB rating when not blitzed was 73.8.

Last season, in week 3 (AZ @ SEA), KK’s NFL QB rating when blitzed was 63.4 (8 of 14 for 57.1 yds + 1TD, 1INT, & 1SK), and 73.1 (17 of 25 for 68 yds + 0TD, 1INT, & 2SK) when not blitzed.

Last season, week 3, TJax’s NFL QB rating when blitzed was 19.4 (4 of 9 for 43 yds + 0TD, 1INT, & 0SK), and 79.4 (14 of 22 for 128 yds + 0TD, 0INT, & 4SK) when not blitzed.

In week 17 of last season (SEA @ AZ) JS’s NFL QB rating when blitzed was 101.3 (6 of 10 for 118 yds + 0TD, 0INT, & 1SK), and 65.0 (16 of 30 for 153 yds + 1TD, 1INT, & 1SK) when not blitzed.

In week 17 of last season TJax’s NFL QB rating when blitzed was 73.8 (7 of 14 for 121 yds + 1TD, 1INT, & 1SK), and 77.7 (14 of 21 for 101 yds + 0TD, 0INT, & 3SK) when not blitzed.

SEA is in better QB shape with RW & Flynn than TJax & CW. AZ’s JS & KK have better repoire with their receivers, but that will come to RW & MF over this season. RW needs more practice, but he’ll get there.