Morning links: Legion of Boom

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 3, 2012 at 8:57 am with 43 Comments »
September 3, 2012 8:57 am
Seattle Seahawks defensive backfield, clockwise from bottom left, Brandon Browner, Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas and Kam Chancellor. (Photo illustration by Tony Overman/The Olympian)

Our Seattle Seahawks preview is out today. The main story focuses on Seattle’s young defensive backfield, corners Brandon Browner and Richard Sherman, and safeties Kam Chancellor and Earl Thomas.

Three out of the four players earned trips to th Pro Bowl last year, and the fourth, Sherman, could well be on his way this season.

The quartet has earned the nickname ‘Legion of Boom’ for the ferocious way they play on Sundays.

“We all got that boom,” safety Kam Chancellor said. “Whether it’s getting interceptions, talking trash, being a ballhawk or just knocking somebody out – it’s everything.”

Dave Boling of The News Tribune writes about the success Seattle has had finding diamonds in the rough through the draft the first three years, including players like J.R. Sweezy, Greg Scruggs and Winston Guy this season.

John McGrath of The News Tribune writes that although Russell Wilson wants to be great, average will work with the type of defense and running game the Seahawks have.

Linebacker Bobby Wagner is Seattle’s new man in the middle.

Pete Carroll’s roster churn has slowed as Seattle solidified the team’s lineup.

Mike Garafolo of the New Jersey Star-Ledger reports that former Seahawk Sean Locklear will start at left tackle for the defending Super Bowl champion Giants when they open up against Dallas on Wednesday.

Former Colts head personnel man Bill Pollian, now an analyst with ESPN, selected the Seattle Seahawks to be the most improved in 2012. Check out the video link.

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times writes that Seattle has more continuity on the team’s roster this season compared to previous years.

A detailed look at Seattle’s personnel groupings and play trends inside the red zone in 2011.

710 ESPN Seattle’s Mike Salk is disappointed that Kellen Winslow is no longer on the roster.

Peter King of Sports Illustrated writes that Seattle has the league’s five toughest days of football, hosting New England on Oct. 14 and then travelling to San Francisco for a Thursday game against the Niners. King also picks Bruce Irvin as his defensive rookie of the year.

Russell Wilson receives a nod for offensive rookie of the year in these Fox Sports expert picks for the upcoming season.

Brian Billick of Fox Sports previews the NFC West in this video below.

Rob Rang of NFLDraftScout.com takes a look at how some of the top draft prospects performed last week, highlighting West Virginia quarterback Geno Smith.

Morning links
  1. Soggybuc says:

To keep it family friendly all i will say is Brian Billick can SMB

2. VNHLNFAN says:

So ready to shut the Billicks of the NFL up!

3. Palerydr says:

I think Billick’s assessment of Seattle is clouded by a personal dislike of Carrol just my opinion.

4. Yeah, the Seahawks have really “struck out” on their draft picks in the last couple years…Multiple starters in each of his first 2 drafts, including 2 pro bowlers, with several other role players. No doubt Billick knows much more than me about the game of football but he doesn’t seem to be very good at his current job. Whatever Fox pays him is too much.

5. “his first 2 drafts” should be “Carroll’s (and Schneider’s) first 2 drafts”

6. Hearing Billick and the Fox dolts call San Francisco “far and away the best team in the NFC West” will just make it SO MUCH SWEETER to beat the crap out of them twice this year.

They don’t know what’s comin.

7. Soggybuc says:

Actually Stevo I see a slit with SF. I also think those 2 games are going to be some of the toughest hard nosed smash mouth games we will see anywhere in the league this year.
    it will be pure defensive battles that field goals and special teams determine the win.

8. piperfeltcher says:

I think SF is so overrated. They were by far the healthiest team in the league last year which hides the fact that they have no depth. If SF was to suffer the amount of injuries the Hawks did last year they would be a 5 win team and odds are they do not go through back to back seasons with no injuries.

9. True, Soggy, I think we all know that going to SF and winning is against the odds. That said, we are going to beat the crap out of the 49ers twice this year. They may beat the crap out of our guys at the same time, but what I’m sure of is that we will beat the crap out of them. What the score will end up being, I have no idea.

10. My brotha, that secondary is scary, my brotha.

11. chuck_easton says:

All the networks have SF as the favorite. They earned that based on last year. I have issue with the guys that put Seattle third behind Arizona.

Prisco may be a standup guy in person according to Eric, but he has made no attempt to hide the fact that he doesn’t like Seattle and would pick us to lose if we were playing Sister Margaret’s Girls Academy. So I’m not socked at all that he is the one expert that is picking the Seahawks to lose next week.

But as Eric says, he’s consistent and sticks to his beliefs. That’s why on the rare occasion Prisco offers any comment of the Hawks that is neutral or possibly positive I take it as a ringing endorsement and realize it must have nearly killed Prisco to say something nice about our team.

12. Soggybuc says:

I’m looking forward to those games as much as any. i’m jaded though because hard Defensive Football is what I love over flashy offense. been partial to the Ravens and that D for a few years now.
    Indeed My Brotha! Richard is really becoming one of favorite Hawks, the guy is such a kick in pants to hear speak.
    “the boy is POTENT!, like a Snakes venom!” classic.

13. piperfeltcher says:

Prisco has put the Cowboys ahead of Seattle in every power ranking to start the season since he has been doing CBS’s power rankings. To be honest I do not see how he still has a job.

14. chuck_easton says:

Prisco has a job because he is East Coast, has an East Coast bias, and is decidedely in the NFC East is the best division in football camp.

15. montanamike2 says:

We we’re not picked by all but one guy at espn to win the division. HUH! SF has injuries already and a much harder schedule, Once Alex Smith goes down they will stink. I thought Kaepernic was going to be better than Smith and i’m glad to say that he sucks! I watched all the preseason games of our division rivals and am pleased that we look by far the best, also glad we face many tough teams at home field advantage.

16. montanamike2 says:

Soggy – I love defense too. I’ve always seen the game from that perspective.

I realize that this will make me a party pooper and all, but I am so over all the silly nicknames. It’s enough already. I know they’re fun and playful, but good lord.

King picking Irvin as defensive rookie of the year is cool.

19. Who cares about media biases. Sure, Billick is a smug, skeevy dbag, but teams need to earn respect, and SanFran did that last year. I have no problem with someone picking them to win the NFCW.

Seahawks… time to show and prove, my brothas.

20. mindnbrad says:

Love it, my brotha, Cornutt, my brotha.

He has an awesome personality.

I like Boilings Diamonds in the rough story. Especially when he says ” this years crop”. Lol.

22. I hope the players get as offended as you guys do when someone in the media speaks critically of the team.

In the last 15 seasons, 10 teams have leaped from .500 or below one year to the Super Bowl the next.

If any team can do it this year the Seahawks have the best shot at it.Imo.

24. Six more days guys…six more days…!

25. orbeavhawk says:

Eric: Please explain what happened to the young Fullback [Tua sp.] and TE {Helfet sp.] that were designated Waived/Injured? Appears they went into a “Black Hole”?

TKS

GOOOOOOOOOOOOhawks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Refreshing to have a #1 qb this confident yet humble.

“I refuse to be average,” the quarterback said at the start of Seahawks’ training camp. “I refuse to be good.”

Wilson exudes a humility befitting somebody who has yet to prove himself in an NFL regular-season game – when the rookie talks trash, he’s referring to the recycling bin – but he’s got a hunger to be regarded among the ranks of the elite, and he’s not bashful to talk about it.

“My goal,” he said a few days ago, repeating a theme, “is to be great.”

27. sluggo42 says:

6 More days mybrutha… potent!

danja russ is im Potent!

AZ is really in for a bush-whacking, as they are two O-Linemen short, and they will NOT be able to cope with our dope with any hope. A strong oline has trouble with our rush, these guys won’t know what hit them when we release the Kraacken upon their poor souls..

The anguish, then gnashing of teeth, the soiling of shorts when the Irvin beast appears from nowhere to create chaos…

And then, the Danja Russ shall mind meld with Syd for about 200 or so… And the Baldwin will appear as nothing less than a Karate chop to the clavicle and cause an instantaeous drop to their knees..

Alas, it shall be a sad day in the land of the desert, for the sandstorm that is the mighty Hawks shall wreak destruction upon the poor huddled massed of cowering humanity.

I can tell you this, I have my fantasy draft tonight and it will be very hard to not take too many Seahawks. I know I want Lynch (which means Turbin as a handcuff) and the D. That’s 3 right off the top. Then what happens when we get to the 6th round or so and Sid Rice is still there…? Must. Not. Select…

29. Duke: I think Rice is a reasonable gamble at that point in the draft. I have him on two of my leagues (yeah, I’m a geek and have 3 teams!). I targeted Lynch in all my leagues and wasn’t able to get one once. Dammit!

Also, nab Seattle defense in the later rounds, and Baldwin if it’s ppr. Aside from homer picks though, MJD has finally reported, so you can get him at a value still!

Okay, I’ll stop. Good luck on your draft tonight, my brotha.

30. Sparky12 says:

Billick, Prisco, and Kiper should put their heads together and form a rock pile!!!!

31. Duke, Me too…

12 Teams – I have the 3rd pick (gonna pick Foster, Rice, or McCoy; not Colt). However, I have a pre-arranged trade with the guy at #9 if Lynch is available – then we’ll swap #1/2 picks (snake; so my pick in the 2nd is towards the end of the round). I want to sneak up enough in the 2nd to get DeMarco Murray and hope for Peyton Manning in the 3rd (I think he’s going to be fine and put up good/great numbers). The most well laid plans rarely ever work the way you want so I’m hoping the first three rounds go that way (but probably won’t). There’s so many good/solid/upside WRs that will be there in the 4th/5th so I’ll take the leftovers (like the Den/Dal/Phi WRs, etc.). I’m definitely hoping to get the Seahawks Defense, in addition to Turbin, and potentially Rice. I may even end up with Hauschka, too. And, oh yeah, I’d like one of Manning’s two back-ups to be Wilson. I think Wilson would learn a lot from him for a season. Oh, wait, fantasy, doh…

32. JZombie says:

And over in Arizona, they’ve signed OT Pat McQuistan. Is he Paul McQuistan’s twin? Their bios on ESPN both list the same birthdays, birth places, they even went to the same college.

MJD, I wouldn’t touch. Aside from Emmitt Smith back in the day, I can’t think of a RB that held out and came back to make it through a season healthy, let alone be productive enough to select where I would need to get him. Although, my memory isn’t what it used to be. lol.

Ideally, Seattle D in the 9th is where I’m looking (12 team league). And great call on Baldwin. I hadn’t thought of him. I’d prefer him over Rice as it is a PPR league, actually, in the later rounds.

Cheers and thanks, I’ll let you know… lol

BobbyK – I’m down with Murray also. I won”t know where I draft until an hour before, but I could live with Lynch / Murray as my 1st and 2nd picks (I’ll need to be at the backend of the draft to make that happen…).

35. My favorite pick in my fantasy draft this year was the Seahawks D — i probably went a little high with them, but atching them is going to the most fun I have on Sundays this year.

36. SandpointHawk says:

Yes the McQuistan’s are twins. Ugly as sin twins, like Rex and Rob Ryan.

37. pabuwal says:

I drafted Rice in the 6th. Got the Seahawks DST also. Couldn’t draft Wilson as the backup to Eli because they have the same Bye week.

38. bayareahawkfan says:

The silve lining to the lack of notoriety the ‘Hawks are still suffering from us very good value on the Seattle DST. Out of 6 leagues (5 12-team and 1 14-team keeper) that I play in (with participants from all over the country, friends who have spread out after being on the west coast years ago), they were only drafted in one league, and that was by me, also in the 9th, to prevent the lone othe Seahawk fan I know from all the leagues from taking them with the next pick.

Everywhere else I got them off the waiver wire. They’re ranked something like 15th or 16th on CBS’s site, so most people targeting a DST want a known scoring unit.

Little do they know that next year, the ‘Hawks are likely to be one of those units :) .

39. Yeah. I agree. Too many people draft for what they have done and not what they are going to do (like what Hawks D will do this year and then be drafted top 5 for next year). I’m in one other league and I’ve got Wilson backing up my two starting QBs (different league where you start two), Lynch, Rice, Seahawks D, and Hauschka (start 2 Ds and Ks, too).

40. Danny O’Neil reports that Seahawks keep the conditional 7th rounder they gave to Tampa Bay for Kellen Winslow. According the the Seahawks.com website, Dexter Davis, Jameson Konz, Matt McCoy, Cameron Morrah, and Vai Taua are all on the Injured Reserve, and not waived.

41. wabubba67 says:

Don’t worry about what the “pundits” think or believe…it is all white noise that is barely (if at all) researched by these red light narcisists.

The only thing that matters is on the field…and that will be proven soon enough.

I’m in two leagues. Have some combination of Lynch, Turbin, Rice, DST, Wilson, Hauschka. Picked Winslow as a backup TE too about two days before he was cut (was able to grab Gresham from Cincy off of waivers immediately…not sure why he was still available).

42. i grabbed Wilson as my back-up in both my leagues too – don’t want to be left out when he blows up mid-season . . . .

43. We coulda/shoulda/woulda done a TNT insiders FFl on ESPN or something – would have been a complete hoot!!!!