TE Evan Moore headed to Seattle

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 1, 2012 at 5:10 pm with 36 Comments »
September 1, 2012 5:10 pm

Looks like the Seahawks had a plan in place in case Kellen Winslow balked at taking a pay cut.

First reported by Jay Glazer of Fox Sports, I can confirm that the Seattle Seahawks will sign former Cleveland Browns tight end Evan Moore.

The 27-year-old will replace Kellen Winslow on the 53-man roster, who the team released earlier today.

Moore was released by the Browns on Friday as part of that team’s effort to get down to 53 players. He was due to make nearly $2 million in base salary in 2012, in the second year of a three year deal.

In 33 games with Cleveland, Moore finished with 62 catches for 804 yards and five touchdowns. The Stanford University product finished with 34 catches for 324 yards and four touchdowns last year.

Similar to Winslow, Moore is a pass-catching tight end that works of the line of scrimmage, and also can split out as a wide receiver. Moore also is familiar with the West Coast offense from his time in Cleveland under head coach Pat Shurmur and team president Mike Holmgren.

NFL free agency
  1. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

Fricken, he’s slow as hell. Secondly, how good can he be if the Browns cut him. At least he’s 6’6″, though. Still, I’d rather the Seahawks had stuck with Winslow.

2. bird_spit says:

Played two years of basketball at Stanford. He won’t need to be fast, just needs to win the jump ball.
    I think we see this two TE set in the red zone, so he won’t need the down line speed.

3. gdcheck99 says:

What about the pick that was given up for Winslow?

4. andreaallennyc says:

Don’t underestimate the Stanford guys!!

5. ChrisHolmes says:

Dumb. I was really looking forward to Winslow ripping defenses for TD’s.

Dammit. Do not like this at all.

I can’t imagine this is about money at all. It has to be something else. Winslow had to have done or said something to make the FO pissed off.

6. grizindabox24 says:

It is about $$$$$

7. hawkdawg says:

Sando says Winslow not on the roster for Game 1, so no loss of pick to Tampa.

8. TomlPDX says:

We have McGrath on the PS…what about Helfit? Who’s this guy? Geeze. I don’t blindly accept what our front office is doing but I’m only a fan. In my opinion we just got weaker.

9. Soggybuc says:

This is something other than money.

10. grizindabox24 says:

soggy, it is about cap rollover for next year

11. LouieLouie says:

I don’t know much about Moore, but he was fairly productive in a very bad offense last year. Maybe he played well against the Hawks last year, so they picked him up. Winslow’s knees were a problem, as was his salary cap hit. I wish him well.

12. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

the guy has no knees he would not make it thru the season.sat out a lot of practices too because of knees. in all honesty mccoy looked better the last two games. if mccoy can keep the drops under control he will be just fine. just my opinion.

13. raymaines says:

I don’t know anything about this guy, but basketball Power Forwards can make really good tight ends. Typically they have soft hands, good footwork, they’re 6’7″ tall, and are used to playing with their back to the bucket. What more would you want from a tight end?

14. Ewalters7354 says:

It’s amazing how once the hawks sigh a guy he is now a great player.Yea right.This guy is in no way,fashion,or form legit.You can blame it on QB play and all that but he had his job taken by Ben Watson.All that ex basketball player stuff means nothing to me.Crappy signing after a ridiculous cut.He’s coming on this team to be the 3rd TE.I said on the last blog he’s nothing more than a poor man’s Zach Miller.

15. Ewalters7354 says:

hawkfaninoklahoma,he’s played in all 16 games for the last 3 seasons.So what makes you think he won’t make it through this season?Yea,yea,yea he misses practice time but on the field the man is productive.Please give me a legitimate reason with proof that he won’t make it through this season.I really need clarification…

The money alone argument doesn’t feel right simply because they knew what the contract was before they acquired him. I can’t help think there’s more to it than simply the contract.

17. chitwit says:

?????? NONE of this makes sense to me. The reason that I wasn’t worried about Millers soft head was because that position was one of strength. It seems to me that we have gone backward with these transactions. This FO has done nothing but impress me with the way they have built this team so I trust that they see something that we can’t understand. I believe that they have earn the benefit of the doubt but these TE moves are giving me some serious brain damage.

18. Dammit, I was looking forward to K2 snagging TD’s for us and improving our red zone offense. I believe the FO knows what they’re doing, so it must’ve been a combination of salary issues and other off the field issues.
    I heard what he said about TB and their new coach on the real rob report, and he doesn’t seem like a good locker
    room character guy ESP for one as young as ours. But I always admired his athleticism and really clutch hands since his days with the Browns.

19. What makes no sense to me is how people on this blog think they no more than the coaches / management!

20. Ewalters7354 says:

Evan Moore career stats:62 catches,804 receiving yards and 5 tds

Kellen Winslow career stats:437 catches,4,836 receiving yards and 23 tds

WOW!What an upgrade huh fellas?

21. Could be the move was to avoid paying the Week 1 signing bonus and/or avoid sending a pick to Tampa. If so, and they re-sign him, that’s a genius move.

22. Macabrevity says:

Evan Moore is just a 3rd TE guys, he’s not meant to be an upgrade over KII. Basically as far as I can see, is the FO did a double-take when they saw what they were going to be shelling out on the TE position, and did some damage control before they were locked in. I’m not sure how much KII will get from the club being cut when he was, but I’m guessing it’s minimal. The cut needed to be made apparently, and the replacement was just the only thing quickly available… a solid reliable guy who can play the position without being a liability.

I still think we should be looking for a blocking TE so Zach can get back to pass-catching.

Or how about James Jones playing both ways lol.

23. ruminator1 says:

is it possible they signed Moore because McGrath cannot play for 6 months and with the intention of him replacing Moore later on? this move was such a shock and i agree with those who say it was not a decision based on money. They knew the money situation from the start and they also knew about his knees and his schedule of not participating in many practices. And at least in games, Winslow performed pretty well, which tells me it was something behind the scene, an attitude issue or set of incidents.

24. ruminator1 says:

macbrevity–agree with you on Miller. If he has to play primarily as a blocker again i think it is a double waste–of talent and of longevity

25. bbnate420 says:

If it’s not more than money, then it’s just a STUPID move. Way to eliminate a strength, especially with a rookie QB. You think he might like having a great safety-valve? McCoy looked good to me in the last 3 games of the preseason, but he still has a lot to prove in the regular season. Baffled.

26. Newborough says:

Wow, didn’t see that coming. Probably about a combination of securing additional cap rollover for 2013 to resign / extend some of the other youngs stars on this roster and the conditions regarding the 7th rounder traded to Tampa Bay. Maybe this had some clause attached to him being on the day one roster, who knows?

I guess the fact that he couldn’t practice at the constant, high energy level Carroll demands might have played in, but that was a known factor when they traded for him. All said, the timing looks very questionable this late in the day, why wasn’t this done in the early stages of training camp, or a renegotiated deal fixed immediately after the trade? I can’t see how this helps Wilson or the rest of the Hawks in the tough early schedule at all. But I guess I’ll just stay calm and keep on drinking the JS/PC Koolaid here-

27. Newborough says:

Scouts Inc’s TE ratings for 2012 have Moore listed att 33rd overall, below Vernon Davis (joint 4th) Zach Miller (joint 13th)and Todd Heap (one place above Moore).

However, he’s ranked well ahead of all other NFC West TEs, like Delaney Walker, Lance Kendricks and McCoy, and is claimed to be an excellent red-zone target, so maybe this will have a happy ending after all. Let’s hope so.

28. Certainly more to this story than we will ever know. Very odd move though. Maybe Miller will actually be used like he was in OAK, when he was one of the best TEs in the league? Dude has totally been misused as a Hawk. Fast, good hands….why waste him as a blocker? Granted they had to in the past due to line issues but now those issues should be fixed. Get Miller the damn ball! He’s better than Winslow.

K2 will have to take a pay cut to play this year no matter where he goes. A substantial incentive-laden one I’d guess.

JS knows what he’s doing.

29. HawksFan37 says:

Here’s something from the same writer on what Moore brings to the Seahawks.

And here’s something on Kellen Winslow to the Bears.

30. iHateHarbaugh says:

Honestly guys, I think it has more to do with McCoy finally instilling some confidence in the coaching staff. When the run the 2 TE sets now it will actually be 2 TE’s & not 1 TE & a slow receiver. Now, I LOVE Winslow so this really bummed me out, but quit talking about it like Schneider thinks Moore is better than Winslow, they never said that. Its about value, versatility, & dependability. I never thought Winslow not practicing but playing on game days would really work w/ Pete, now we know.

31. This situation smells the same as the BMW release. It’s probably best for the team in the long run, but we will never know exactly why the player was released and if there was an incident involving attitude or insubordination. We will continue to speculate until the truth comes out I guess. Still very happy with our roster, but K2 could’ve really been a weapon for us especially in the red zone against the good teams we face early in the season. I will also continue chugging the PC/JS Kool-Aid!

32. owenbytheway says:

OK, so nobody can really figure it out right now since we have not one FACT about why Winslow was released.

Curiouer and curiouser when Moore signed.

But, perhaps as a few have speculated in here, Winslow will be re-signed on Monday.

If that is the case, expect that HUGE INCENTIVES will allow him to make every bit of that $3+ million, or more, this year.

The timing is just eerie. Why not cut him on the slash to 53? (perhaps because some one else would have been more likely to pick him up (can you drool Miami) … but a day later rosters are set and budget is allocated), so a signing is less likely)?

Winslow has publicly said nothing but good things about R. Wilson and other team mates.

Pundits regularly say he is more like a WR than a TE.

So, here is where Moore comes in.

The Schneid was at Green Bay when the Packers signed Moore. Carroll had seen him plenty in USC – Stanford days.

He’s familiar with the WCO.

Moore was originally a WR, mirroring Winslow with elusiveness, sure hands, and size … and some speed. With Wilson’s quick release and five guys going out it will give Dcoordinator’s fits.

The info 37 posted in here certainly helps explain the acquisition,
    but we still are looking at the Winslow situation as intriguing.

It ain’t over til it’s over.

Were I McCoy or Obomanu or Martin I would still be concerned about my employment on Monday.

33. owenbytheway says:

In my last post “monday” means the day after the Zona game, not manana.

34. “If it’s not more than money, then it’s just a STUPID move. Way to eliminate a strength, especially with a rookie QB.”

Agree.

WTH? I was really looking forward to watching him play. And I remember Eric answering a question re Winslow during one of the online chats, saying he expected him to be a factor this year.

35. akmac61 says:

The linked article on Moore does not support the negative comments by some on here. He is described as fast and a good target.