Hawks Waive Kellen Winslow

Post by Eric Williams on Sep. 1, 2012 at 3:24 pm with 54 Comments »
September 1, 2012 3:24 pm

Money was thought to be an issue when Seattle traded for him. And now that appears to be the case, as the Seahawks announced that they have waived tight end Kellen Winslow.

Winslow’s departure leaves a gaping hole at the tight end position for Seattle. Zach Miller remains one of the best blocking tight ends in the league, and is a solid option in the passing game. And Anthony McCoy showed during the preseason that he’s ready to take the next step.

However, neither bring the dynamic, pass-catching ability that Winslow offers. The San Diego native had three years left on his deal. Winslow’s was owed three years and $13.3 million in base salary. Winslow, 29, was schedule to make $3.3 million this year.

It appears the Seahawks had too much tied up in the tight end position. Miller was schedule to make $6 million this season, and has four more years left on his $34 million deal.

Cuts and waivers
  1. Be interesting to see if he gets picked up – if not, will he resign?

2. shoehawks says:

Why now? Is there a trade in the works. You would think they would have known by now if money was going to be a problem.

3. Uhhhh…. what the %^&

4. yakimahawk says:

Eric/Duke/someone
    If they have so much cap space available how can this be, why would they release him? If this is because of money they could cut him after the season is over. This is such a horrible boneheaded move it has to be something more than money.

5. mike98541 says:

maybe they bring in Chris Cooley for a visit? He will be cheaper then Winslow and when healthy he is a beast.

6. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

Man I was hoping this was just a rumor. So do they bring Cameron Morrah back now, or do they pick someone up from another team? I said it before, and I’ll say it again, if I was Bevell I’d be pissed off. He probably installed a lot of two TE set plays into the offense, and now won’t be able to run them as effectively without Winslow. McCoy isn’t nearly as good as Winslow is. This is terrible news.

7. I just drafted him as my backup fantasy TE! Bastids!

Is this the kind of move where they re sign him to a shorter incentive laden contract tonight or tomorrow?

There has to be a trade or something brewing.

9. Skavage says:

Must be more to come on this….

10. Macabrevity says:

Heads are gonna roll in the accounting office for this one.

“Too much money tied up in the TE position”

Hello Zach Miller and your elite pass catching contract. Thanks for picking up blocking duties so admirably.

Sweezy learned the guard position pretty quick. Can we convert him to a blocking TE now?

11. What are they doing? Please explain why PC/JS cut McGrath, knowing you’re getting rid of Winslow?

12. boycie99 says:

I agree, very strange move if they dont have someone on the radar to fill his spot.
    The money issue has always been there, surely you would sort that side before the cuts if it was an issue.
    There has to be more to it, I dont see PC or JS as the type of people to try and do things on the cheap, if he was a significant part of the team and the difference to winning or not winning the division, being so far under the cap you surely dont just cut him.

Makes no sense, must be more to it

13. Helenahawk says:

Baffling and surprising move. We are missing some information because this does not make sense. Waiting for the other shoe to drop .

I’d be surprised if this were really a money issue.

15. HawksKD says:

Puzzling to say the least…

16. HawksKD says:

There must be more… Did we not trade a conditional pick?

17. fdsadat says:

We gave up 10 million on a backup quarterback, we should have enought money for a good TE, so I think this is not a money related problem, maybe he did something in the locker room, or he wasnt that healthy… I just hope we grab someone really good out there now…

Unless theyre planning on resigning him. But then why not rework it prior?

19. I’m at a lose for words. I sure hope PC and JS have an alternate plan in mind.

20. Bad move. Really bad move.

21. GTEylander says:

Sad to see that Winslow wouldn’t accept a renegotiated contract. Perhaps by waiting until now to release him the Seahawks have limited his options elsewhere and may end up able to re-sign him once he realizes that nobody is willing to pay him what he seeks.

22. FleaFlicker says:

I’ve supported PC/JS all summer. But this leaves me scratching my head. Maybe KW’s injury situation is more than we realize? Maybe they really believe in McCoy? All I can say is “WTF” and trust that we have a plan here.

But a nice reminder to all those guys on the bubble that they are not guaranted a roster spot for the whole season.

Eric, any word on Tate’s knee?

23. They have only paid people who have been lights out and ON THE FIELD.

I have been Critical of these guys at times BUT – this is what has made Belicheat, Johnson, Parsells and others soo good in their time. They knew what they wanted and found guys to fit that ROLE. They didn’t get enamored with stats at other places – they look for specific skill sets and go for that –

If you earn the money you get it – if not they look for your replacement. I like this in pro sports – keeps guys hungry and ready to play

So now we don’t have to give up that conditional 7th round draft pick next year. Maybe the FO thinks they can draft another Sweezy with it?

25. Soggybuc says:

This was not a money move. has to be a knee or locker room issue.

26. montanamike2 says:

I tend to agree with maybe it’s health related or he gets a decreased contract incentive laden.

27. Ewalters7354 says:

I don’t understand why they would trade a draft pick for the guy and then release him.This just leaves me smh.All hawk fans needed was bad news after all the optimism.Really was looking forward to K2 being a big part of this offense and a week before the regular season he gets cut.Very surprising.Personally I feel the one downfall with this FO is making to many moves.Just build the roster and leave it alone.

28. Soggybuc says:

let me clarify, we were still under the cap and teams make salary cuts going into the FA period, not while finalizing the roster.

Speaking of Sweezy, perhaps they can now convert him to TE. The way he developes he should be ready by week 1.

30. montanamike2 says:

There’s something up.

31. yakimahawk says:

Soggybuc explain to the novice..me

32. Skavage says:

Duke I’m guessing it is a money issue and I’m guessing they already have it reworked. They put him on the wire to avoid paying the week one roster guarantee. Chances are slim any other team will claim him in the next 24 hours (although there is a risk). Once he clears waivers they resign him without the sam week one guarentee. (All pure speculation on my part, but that’s basically what I’m thinking.)

33. ^^^ good point Skavage – actual great thoughts – I hadn’t thought it that way

34. chitwit says:

Considering the very strange timing of this move there are only two results that make sense. He was cut for attitude issues or rule violations and won’t be back. Or they have a deal in place to bring him back at a lower rate. There is obviously a lot more to this story than has been available.

35. bird_spit says:

No TO, no Winslow means no premadonna mucking up the program. They’ll still compete for position during practice. Both of those guys would have polluted what Carroll preaches. I hope it was a good move.

Also, maybe there is longterm liability issues with his health. They reduce significantly to the long term care when this guy is cripple later in life.

36. jawpeace says:

Normally I like or see the logic behind PC and JS moves but this one has me baffled.
    Don’t like this at all. Maybe something will happen that will make me go ah ha. But for now I am shaking my head.

Eric, do the Hawks still owe a draft pick to Tampa?

37. TomlPDX says:

bird, I finally came to the conclusion that KW as a disruption was a myth. We’ve heard nothing about attitude or anything else from him all summer. I think he knew where he was and just wants to play. Still scratching my head. I’m not a GM and don’t know the games they play so I guess we just have to let this one work itself out.

38. klondiko says:

Why would anyone in Seattle be surprised by a move like this?

39. grizindabox24 says:

Dov Kleiman ‏@NFL_RealUpdates
    #Seahawks signed former #Browns TE Evan Moore after releasing TE Kellen Winslow.

40. bird_spit says:

My point, Winslow does not practice with the team. Pete is all about competition. How would peyes coaches grade winslow when he cant score out everyweek. I never understood the signing because of the injury history, plus the care week in and week out that would be necessary. . Releasing him now baffles me in much the same way.

I say move on, but now we appear to not have good depth at the position.

41. grizindabox24 says:

Also, this move is all about cap carryover

42. “This was not a money move. has to be a knee or locker room issue.”

Agreed. There has to be more to this than we know. We have the cap room, we knew how much he would cost, and if we really didnt want him because of his performance, he would have been cut yesterday.

43. sfseahawkfan says:

Clear as mud. The question below–whether this is really just a money thing–is a good one. A money issue would have surfaced months ago.

44. Ewalters7354 says:

Evan Moore is not by any means an upgrade nor athletic.He is basically a poor man’s Zach Miller.Don’t like it at all…

45. MoSeahawk12 says:

This sucks!! Winslow was a gamer. They knew all about his knee when they brought him in. Carrol always said it wasn’t an issue and that they would monitor it during the week. Our offense just became more one dimensional. Dude had great hands, played well in preseason and got open. I don’t get it. Damn.

46. grizindabox24 says:

$$$$$$$

47. I have complete faith in Pete and John. There have been a lot of curious cuts, some of them of people I would have liked to have kept or seen more of. But all I do is watch the games on TV and read this blog, and I must say I am very happy with the team they have put together. I liked what I saw of KW, but that was in snatches on TV. The coaches saw him every day. I don’t think Pete and John would do anything to make the team less competitive.

48. ChrisHolmes says:

THIS MAKES NO SENSE. WTF?

49. McGrath or Morrah? Why go outside and pick up an injury prone Brown’s cast off?

50. raymaines says:

PC speaks in riddles, but he doesn’t lie. Not practicing every day is not the issue. I don’t know what the issue is, but that ain’t it.

Everything I’ve read or seen indicates KW2 has been a model citizen and team mate, so I don’t think that’s it either. Money or health issues are the only other things I can think of.

:) I’m sure PC will patiently explain in simple, plain English exactly what the situation is and what his plans are moving forward. :)

51. Skavage says:

At the end of the day this is a business. I’m still surprised at the the Cleveland castoff pick up, but I’m guessing either KW wouldn’t take a pay cut, or wanted too much guarenteed money to redo the deal. Either way, it’s got to be money. His attitude seemed to be good from all we’ve heard. I even saw him give RW a nice slap on the helmet after RW overthrew him. Almost as if to say “No worries, you’ll get the next one.”. So I have a tough time thinking attitude is involved. But who knows…besides PC and JS! :)

52. montanamike2 says:

Winslow reminded me of Vin Diesel.

53. Southendzone says:

For those saying we will re-sign him if he clears waivers that doesn’t make a lot of sense. He won’t renegotiate his contract, then we’re going to pick him up for cheap after he gets thru waivers?

I don’t buy it.

Do like the suggestion of snatching up Chris Cooley though, and would love to hear what the hell went on here. I think everyone had big expectations for him this year.

54. bbnate420 says: