Moffitt says he’s ready for season opener

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 31, 2012 at 12:10 am with 22 Comments »
August 31, 2012 12:10 am

Seattle Seahawks offensive lineman John Moffitt played in his firs preseason game since having elbow surgery three weeks ago.

Moffitt played at least a half with the second unit and appeared to get through the game okay.

“It was really good,” he said. “They kind of just broke me in today and threw me into the fire. I got a lot of reps, but I’m glad. We’re so close to the regular season, I think it’s something I really needed.”

Moffitt said he didn’t have any issues with his elbow after the game, saying he was amazed how fast he regained his strength after the surgery.

“John did fine,” Seattle head coach Pete Carroll said. “He was kind of giddy in there. He came back after just a couple of days of practice and got some play time. I don’t know how he played so much, but he made it through and he’s healthy and all that, so that’s a big-big plus for us.”

Now Moffitt will have to find out if he’ll have an opportunity to earn his starting right guard job back, with rookie J.R. Sweezy playing well with the first unit.

Moffitt said he’s ready to start against the Cardinals if called upon.

“I think so,” he said. “I think with another week under my belt, I’ll be really good and ready to go.”

Irvin gets going
The story of the night was the play of rookie defensive end Bruce Irvin. The West Virginia product finished with 1.5 sacks, a forced fumble, a tackle for loss and three quarterback hurries working mostly against reserves tonight.

Although Irvin entered the game without a tackle or a sack, we did see some progress in the Kansas City game, where he had a handful of pressure. Irvin also got the first hit against Peyton Manning in the Denver game two weeks ago.

“It felt good finally getting my feet wet,” Irvin said. “I can’t give myself all of the credit. I have a great group of guys around me; Red Bryant, Brandon Mebane. Those guys kept encouraging me, telling me not to get down on myself.

“Letting me know when the sacks come, they’ll come. I just continued to work hard at practice, and they finally came tonight.”

Injury update
Carroll said the Leon Washington got poked in the eye on Tuesday and had trouble fielding punts during pregame, so the training staff decided to hold him out.

“He got a real legit poke in the eye, and he wasn’t real comfortable trying to catch punts in the pregame,” Carroll said. “he couldn’t see the ball the way he wanted to.”

Receiver Golden Tate twisted his right knee in the second half. Tate will be evaluated further over the weekend.

Running back Vai Taua suffered a PCL strain in his knee and couldn’t play in the final quarter.

Carroll also said that Red Bryant chipped his front tooth during a sideline celebration after Jaye Howard’s safety, and will need some dental work tomorrow.

Quotable: “It was solid. I thought he was solid as a rock. He hit almost everything. He handled all of the situations, all of the calls. He was comfortable. He hasn’t had a chance to throw a lot, but coming back he was fine. I thought he was very much in control. We have a terrific quarterback position right now. I’m really happy about it.”

— Seattle head coach Pete Carroll on Matt Flynn’s performance. Flynn finished 11 of 13 for 102 yards and a touchdown. Flynn had a 125 passer rating.

Game coverage
  1. freedom_X says:

Pete Carroll was a bit peeved at Tate for not calling for a fair catch. His last return, he definitely was trying to do too much. But I like Tate better as a punt returner because his shiftiness outweighs Washington’s straight-line speed to me.

Perhaps Taua goes on IR? If he can’t help right away, I can’t see him making the team though, if healthy, I thought he had a late edge on Lumpkin.

I always thought Irvin might take a season to develop. I would not have been surprised, or disappointed, if he wasn’t an immediate smash hit. He’s got a lot to learn about little things in the league, such as tackling angles. Despite his speed, the Oakland RB that outran him, and Terrell Pryor showed him he needs to consider tackling angles – even he can’t just run down everyone.

He’ll get better as he learns more technique. I think most of his plays were a result of a very high motor, which is a great sign.

I’m also excited about how well the line is blocking for the run. An incredible contrast from last preseason, when they couldn’t move a peewee league team off the line. Remember how hopeless the running game was then? Now, they’re just ripping it up. It’s almost hard to evaluate the running backs correctly when they’re getting plenty of room to run.

2. jawpeace says:

The way Tate’s knee got twisted looked bad. If it is a significant injury and requires any surgery at least he has a chance of coming back later in the season with the new IR rules just passed.

Lets just say it is a severe sprain. That means you almost have to keep an extra WR on the roster. The game did not clear up who makes it and who doesn’t at the WR position.

Defensive line I think both rookies drafted should make it. Looks like another real strong draft with most making it. Except for Korey Toomer who might be this years Mark Legree.

3. princeaden says:

Toomer will make it. If Tate’s knee is as bad as it looked, say hello, once again to TO.

4. Hey Eric, How fun was it watching more of the Hawks ‘shock & awe’ assault on the Raiders?

5. bbnate420 says:

Duke, I NEVER said that is wasn’t VERY likely that Carpenter would move to G. I just said that it WAS NOT 100 %, which the quote I referenced backs up. I think it is most likely that he will move to a guard position. I just SIMPLY stated it wasn’t 100 %. Maybe things change between then and when they have to decide. Read my statement before you try and refute next time, maybe?

6. The coaching staff and Schneider all said that Carp is moving to guard. But, yeah, things can change and perhaps they have with Sweezy, Moffitt, McQuistan, etc. all doing really well at guard. That interior talent could dictate that Carp goes back to RT if they aren’t comfortable with depth there or if Breno gets hurt (Cable likes versatility, too). Things can change, but I thought they made it pretty clear, all things remaining equal, that his future was at guard.

Would anyone like to have a cartwheel party for our QB position? I think I’m going to do a few before heading off to work. I can’t remember a time when I felt so good about our starter and depth (even if it’s “only” one deep with quality depth). Whoo-hoo!!!

7. FleaFlicker says:

Tater Tot: Come on, man! We get all the way to the 3rd quarter with no major injuries and you have to take on the entire Raiders punt team. Love the hustle, but be smarter than a maple bar next time.

Speaking of special teams, what the heck was going on with the FG unit? Hard to tell from the stands [Dear C-Link: why can't you put every re-play on the big screen?] but it looked like somebody got a hand on at least two of Haushka’s kicks.

Eric, what’s the probablility that we have to endure replacement refs through the regular season? They are really quite terrible.

We are winning it big time in the trenches this pre season. I have never seen this team so dominant in that area on both side of the ball at the same time.
    If they keep it up it’s going to be a very good year,imo.

Irvin rocks! Flynn was great! And our depth is the best I ever seen. Hopefully the FO can get some trade value for some of these players that they will have to let go now and down the road.

Trade value- meaning draft picks like they already been getting this year.

10. bbnate420 says:

Duke, I don’t know why you’re confused? I NEVER said that Carp wouldn’t be moving to G. I just pointed out the FACT that JS/PC hadn’t committed 100 % to him moving to G. I don’t know what you don’t understand about that?????????

11. montanamike2 says:

Draft picks are like gold when we have to make tough choices of who to let go. These guys show what they can do with picks.

12. sluggo42 says:

Golden might have just earned a trip to the pup. Foolishness got himself hurt.

I want that guy to succeed so bad, but he just keeps on messing it up…

Loved the team A to Z, punked the raiders flat out at every angle. Total domination.

And it could have been much worse if:

RW totally overthrown to KWII – looked like lots of YAC available

13. sluggo42 says:

: Butler dropped (short-armed the ball fearing the hit that came anyways)
    :Irvin just missing the sack on Pryor (That guy is STRONG!)

aa few other plays too, but the point was that the score could have really got run up.

Defense just swallowed their O, twas a beautiful thing!

14. I agree if golden is on pup list.T.O might get called back Accept for the fact we got rid of him so early I really think pete and John r not to impressed with him regardless of what Pete says publicly

bbnate – No need to get hysterical. I read your statement, and provided a quote from Carroll that refutes it. If Carroll says he’s moving to guard when he returns, and he did, I consider that 100%.

16. jawpeace says:

Jrish Pete could have let TO go early out of respect for the Vet. As he has a greater chance of finding another team. Or it could be as you have said. The way Pete said it leaving the door cracked for TO to come back. I thought he would be back if we get several WR injured during the season. Tate looks like he could be the first WR and worst injury of preseason.

17. jchawks08 says:

Freedomx I agree that once Irvin figures out the angles, he truly will be a monster. Even though he chose the wrong angles, he certainly still closed quickly, good God! Do not want that man chasing me!
    Duke, love your response to bbnate. So calm and collected. Or 180 degrees different from nate.
    Nate, I love your enthusiasm though. Your posts always make me grin.
    Ah, ‘Tis a great day to be a Seahawks fan!

18. Taua – to IR maybe then? Keep him protected – this guy is a good versitile guy, he can back up FB and RB and has had some very nice plays on ST!!

What are the new rules on the IR?

19. I think Irvin is finding that there are LOTS of fast guys in the NFL – he will have to adjust a little – JPP only had 4.5 sacks as a rookie for NYG and then 16.5 last season. I think Irvin might have the same learning curve

20. jchawks08 says:

Yea, I’ve seen a lot of comparisons of Irvin to JPP. I’ll take it, but the selfish ‘Hawks fan in me wants to see WAY more than 4.5 sacks this year from Irvin. 10 give or take would be nice!

21. PugetHawk says:

Is a strained PCL really going to keep Tater out for 6 weeks? Doubt it. Hopefully T.O. doesn’t come back. Where can I get a Sweezy jersey? He’s a beast!

22. doubledink says:

“He got a real legit poke in the eye…”

Wait a minute, is that like a legitimate rape?? Aren’t all pokes legitimate? What does this say about his mindset toward other eye injuries, or pokes in general?

Heh, heh, I just couldn’t leave that one alone. Ok, back to your lives citizens. Nothing happening here…