Morning links: Irvin finding his way

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 29, 2012 at 7:36 am with 45 Comments »
August 29, 2012 7:36 am
Denver Broncos' Ryan Harris, right, blocks Seattle Seahawks' Bruce Irvin, left, in the second half of an NFL football preseason game, Saturday, Aug. 18, 2012, in Denver. (AP Photo/Joe Mahoney)

Dave Boling of The News Tribune writes that Seattle Seahawks defensive end Bruce Irvin is experiencing some growing pains in the early portion of his first year in the NFL.

Irvin doesn’t have a sack or tackle in three exhibition games. Two rookie pass rushers drafted after Irvin, the Jets’ Quinton Coples (three sacks) and the Chargers’ Melvin Ingram (two sacks) have been more productive statistically.

But Todd Wash, Seahawks defensive line coach, is not worried about Irvin’s progress at this point.

“We’ve seen so much development,” Wash said. “The first couple (games) we were seeing some apprehension with his get-off, (being) unsure of things; I think there was a lot of thinking going on.”

Wash said that in the third exhibition game, against Kansas City, Irvin had several quarterback pressures and near sacks.

Irvin said he’s heard some of the criticism from fans.

“People are talking about how I haven’t gotten a sack yet, but it’s the preseason,” he said. “You’ll always face adversity, and the best way to deal with it is to just keep working hard.”

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com writes that quarterback Matt Flynn made it through the entire practice on Tuesday, and that his sore elbow appears to be much better.

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times writes that receiver Ben Obomanu is once again on the roster bubble.

John Boyle of the Everett Herald writes that Seattle rookie offensive guard J.R. Sweezy fought an uphill battle, and is now in position to earn a starting job.

Brady Henderson of 710 ESPN Seattle provides an overview of Russell Wilson’s conversation with Brock Huard and Mike Salk. Wilson says he never thinks about running when he scrambles after a play breaks down, and is always trying to make a play with his arm first. Wilson: “I never, ever think about running the football. I’m always wanting to throw the ball and if something closes, if I go through my progression and it closes, it’s like, ‘Bam.’ It happens so fast and you’re out. You’re just trying to get something positive.”

Wilson also appeared on the NFL Network yesterday. Check out the video link here.

ESPN’s Mel Kiper Jr. lists running back Robert Turbin as one of his rookie sleepers. You must be an ESPN Insider to view this.

Michael Lombardi of NFL.com lists Marshawn Lynch and Max Unger as blue chips on his list of the top offensive players in the league. Red Bryant and Earl Thomas made his list on defense, although Thomas is listed as a red chip.

Contrary to an earlier report, the Seahawks say they are not pursuing a Super Bowl bid.

Doug Farrar of Yahoo Sports writes that Terrell Owens’ release was more about Braylon Edwards’ performance than T.O.’s attitude.

Don Banks of Sports Illustrated writes that Russell Wilson was one of the clear winners in preseason Week 3.

Morning links
  1. Watching Irvin the past few games reminded me a bit of Aaron Curry early on (that’s not a criticism).

With Curry, we saw a lot of potential early. A player who was near plays, but just couldn’t finish. A player that looked like he was just a simple step up the learning curve from being very good. The assumption was that he would get there with experience, but as we know, it never happened.

2. confucious says:

I hope Irvin turns out to be a good player just to see Mel Kiper eat crow. He threw a fit on draft day with our picks. In fact I’m dismayed that he would use any of our picks as “rookie sleepers”. Damn talking heads!

3. Irvin will be find. Just needs to continue working on his confidence. Kid has great skills. I think by the home opener, he’ll be a terror.

GO HAWKS!

4. fine*…damn, I flat out can’t type!

5. montanamike2 says:

I trust Pete all the way, if he thinks Irvin has qualities and perhaps more upside than Ingram or Coples then i’m all in. He also might be a better scheme fit.

6. Soggybuc says:

What Bruce needs is to get to Romo in week 2 and hear the 12th man come alive and chant is name. he seems to be a fairly humble kid. I’ll take that over arrogance and cockiness anyday.

I think the Curry comparison, as far as was made, it pretty fair. I think the important difference is that Curry was asked to do things he had never done before. He was only a 2 down LB at Wake and here, was asked to be far more complete. We saw the limitations of his ability as a result. Carroll seems to be using Irvin in roles he’s familiar with and for which he’s suited. And in that regard we can hope (expect) that Irvin will continue to develop. I would like to think we’ll see a Jason Pierre-Paul type of learning curve.

8. I still have some misgivings that we didn’t draft Melvin Ingram. But Irvin fits the Leo position and his raw talent is undeniable. I’m being patient since I believe Carroll knows exactly what he’s doing when it comes to building his D.

Also, I don’t think Irvin is here to “save” the pass rush. He will play a role. The big upgrade on the D this year has actually been interior D linemen and interior pass rush. Jason Jones is a very big addition, and Irvin only need to play his role in harassing the OT or freezing the feet of a blocking RB in order to help free up Jones and Clem get to the QB. Also Wagner and Toomer are speedy LBs and will be threats to blitz along with ET.

I think our pass rush will have several dimensions and won’t depend on one player. Something that marks Pete Carroll’s defense is the way each role player is emboldened to make impact plays, which is as much about scheme and roles as it is about talent. I think the pass rush will come on over the course of the season.

9. Palerydr says:

Irvin is just about a carbon copy of Von Miller in all ways. Miller is a premier pass rusher so what separates Irvin from Miller? IMO Irvin just has to develop his technical skills to become an elite pass rusher. I see he has the desire or as I would put it the want to to get to the QB every down. Even though he doesn’t have the numbers I saw consistent effort through the preseason especially in the last game. He may not reach double digits sack totals but just due to his presence and effort he will help the teams overall pass rush.

10. Duke, good point about Curry. He was an ILB who was thrown into new role at OLB, out of position, on a bad defense. And it turned out he wasn’t very versatile or smart or coachable.

Irvin is a pure pass rusher who simply needs more coaching and techniques and time to develop. They’re asking him to do what he’s best at.

11. Palerydr says:

Duke and Stevos I didn’t see your posts before I put mine up but it appears we agree to level on Irvins potential and development.

12. Palerydr says:

*some level

If Irvin turns into Miller, albeit different positions, you can count me as one very happy Seahawk fan.

Stevo – That’s the thing that has come to my mind to most:technique. Speed alone won’t get you around many NFL tackles. And just watching his 3 preseason games so far, I haven’t seen (m)any rush moves. They will develop though. I’m not terribly concerned about his sack totals this season. Next year is when I expect (hopelly realistically) to see a dramatic escelation in his play. If it comes sooner, all the better.

14. bird_spit says:

All of the arm chair experts, even those obviously in Portland, just need to know one thing. Our D will be fine, I mean fine with the addition of Irvin. Can’t wait for the season to begin, so we can see how far this club has come in 3 short years under the command of Pete.

15. raymaines says:

The photo at the top sure makes BI look small and light doesn’t it? The Broncos guy is listed at 6-5 / 300 lbs and BI is listed at 6-3 / 250 but the difference looks greater than that. Get that man in the weight room next off season, I know he can handle 20 more pounds of muscle and still be faster than that lump of goo in the orange uniform.

Irvin sounds like a great kid that had a really slow start in life and I’m cheering for him 100%. I suppose every team has this sort of guy on the roster, and I’d cheer for each of them too if I knew about them. Except when they played the Seahawks of course.

16. RDPoulsbo says:

My problem with Irvin has been that he was drafted to be a Leo with Clem still on the roster. That’s a pretty high pick to be doing something like that. Even that would have been ok, except they went and gave Clem a contract extension. Now they have 2 Leos and still no pass rushing LDE. The chip blocks will be coming to whoever plays out of position and that’ll be the end of that guy’s pass rush for the play. Neither are big enough to consistently shed blocks once engaged. That’s why I would have preferred Coples.

In the long term, Irvin will be fine as he learns technique. That’s nothing like trying to teach Curry instinct. Still, it’s not that great a situation for the next couple seasons.

17. Yo raymaines, hope everyone is okay in NOLA today!

OTs are bigger these days, yes, but I don’t think Irvin is too small. And he should get stronger over his career. Clem sure has.

Von Miller is 237 lbs, 6-3, long arms
    Derrick Thomas 243, lbs 6-3, long arms
    Bruce Irvin 250 lbs, 6-3, long arms

bird_spit – Has anyone indicated anything differently?

19. sluggo42 says:

There was a guy named Mario something that in theory, sucked big time in his first year, but he seemed to turn out ok if I remember. Went to a suck team for money, but whatever.

Coples is in a different scheme, and has a different role. We will have a beehive atmosphere for opposing QB’s to survive in with a stinger able to come is fast from anywhere. As soon as we start with the defensive schemes, the sacks will start to come…

Right now, Irvin is just lining up against RT’s full time, as soon as Bam Bam lines up and gives the RT something else to occupy his mind for just a moment, slows his reaction for just a moment, or actually takes a step to the wrong side… then woosh, zap, and splat

20. Palerydr says:

I see what you mean Duke Irvin primarily rushes with his hand in the dirt while Miller is more of a standup outside LB. I also understand 2 different schemes and different position responsibilities. I just see 2 guys with similar builds who can rush the passer with the difference being Miller is more polished/technically sound at this stage in his career.

Like I said, if Irvin is as productive in this scheme as Miller is for his… I’ll be stoked. Personally, I really like Miller’s game. He’s so damn good. I’ll say too, one thing they do share is speed. Both fast as hell.

22. HeinieHunter says:

Totally pumped this year for the Hawks! With the killer defense, and great running game, all we really needed was a QB to make a few passes and not turn the ball over. With RW we now have soooo much more! I really expect special teams to be improved this year and with them and the D giving the Offense good field position and shorter drives we will truly be DangeRuss.

23. Seahawkfan78 says:

all the O Tackles will be getting tired out thanks to going against Big Red, then send the speed to the outside with Irvin and there you go. Sack after sack!!!!

24. They should get some confidence by playing against that AZ “OL” in the first game. They do have a solid D though so it’s not exactly a “gimme” game.

Just line Irvin up right behind big Red. The tackle will never see him until he shoots out one side or the other.

Does anyone want a good laugh?

26. I am interested how they use the whole DL –

With Irvin, Jones, and looking like maybe Scruggs adding to the line – they will be deep and hopefully rested in the 2nd halves of games and can really make some plays!!

We know that Pete is pretty creative on defense and he has a good crew to work with – could be really fun to watch – and if they get more pressure on the QB – not just sacks – just think what our backfield can do!!!

27. montanamike2 says:

We played lights out and even a game with Peyton Manning and TO but couldn’t make it to the NFL network until a day or two later, looks like it’ll be net streaming again. I can’t wait for the real season so i can watch games as they’re happening, crossing my fingers no one gets hurt, (on our team).

28. sluggo42 says:

The only reason it’s on channel 5 down here is SoCal is because they show every Raider game, because all the gangbangers live here, i just hope they don’t burn LA to the ground after the beating they are about to receive…

But since Matty will be at QB, they wont be running the sccore up too much on them…

29. ryanryan says:

the only thing that i don’t like about irvin’s remarks is that he is listening to the fans say negative things about him. his advisor/mentor should be shielding him from that or at least advising that it not be addressed in interviews. i feel like once he brings it up, the interviewer has free reign to keep talking about it at the next opportunity and then the next etc., i hope he isn’t as sensative as his comment sounded to me.

30. ryanryan says:

that is to say that if it keeps being addressed at interviews it becomes bigger and bigger until either his production happens or the weight of it all hinders his development.

31. How Does Lombardi list Earl Thomas as a Red chip player?

32. montanamike2 says:

because he’s an idiot!

Ya, really xcman. Makes no sense to me either that Earl Thomas is not a Blue chipper.

And where has Steve Kelly been lately since he trashed Carroll for choosing to start Wilson over Flynn in game 3, and thereby not choosing Flynn to start the season . Must be hiding out with Baseless.

35. MattandCindy says:

Its gonna be hard to quietly complete my FF draft at work…I’m 2 doors down from the BIG boss. If he hears me yell or curse, I’ll just say its gas…or tourettes.

36. freedom_X says:

You can’t have enough pass rushers. Even if Seattle was leading the league in sacks – if Irvin has the ability to be a double-digit sackmaster, they needed to get him. It’s one of the few positions where you grab those guys no matter who else you have on the roster (the other being cover corner.)

Since Seattle didn’t have anything close to a consistent pass rush, tabbing a pass rusher was correct. It will just take a bit of time to develop. Irvin himself stated he didn’t get much coaching on techniques in college, and a lot of what he did was pure athletic ability.

37. I apologize if I’ve gotten this wrong, but didn’t Irvin sack Manning in the Denver game?

38. SandpointHawk says:

Hit him as he released the ball, legal hit but not a sack.

39. Sluggo, Where do you live in Socal? Are there any Hawk bars around you?
    I’m in Hermosa Beach..

40. Macabrevity says:

Let’s not judge Irvin by his first season, much less his first pre-season. Unlike with Carpenter, who has already been adequately replaced, I’d like to give Irvin time. Coming off the strong side isn’t really his natural position anyway. The Bruce will eventually be a big factor.

Our pass rush for this season does have me concerned though….

41. sluggo42 says:

No Hawk bars up here in Ventura, this is Raiders/Cowboy territory…
    It will be great when we give them both a serious smackdown…

42. SandpointHawk says:

Sluggo42, I lived in Ojai, Oak View and Oxnard before I moved to Idaho. I understand Johnny’s on the Ave.closed down…World’s greatest burritos.

43. sfseahawkfan says:

Perhaps Pete Carroll should turn Irvin into a special teams commando during his rookie year. The man has the speed and is willing to hit, and the Hawks threaten to revert to their old habit of giving up long punt and kickoff returns…

44. When Irvin was discussed after the draft, it was mentioned that he had barely been coached up. He definitely is still in the learning curve, but at least seems much brighter than the unlamented AC (who incidentally seems to have lost his legs in Oakland).

45. sluggo42 says:

sANDPOINT_

Cool about that!, how does Idaho compare? A bit cooler eh?
    You must have fished at Casitas then..

Small world