Morning links: A rookie shall lead them

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 28, 2012 at 7:28 am with 74 Comments »
August 28, 2012 7:29 am
Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson (3) makes a touchdown pass to Tyrell Sutton, left, as Denver Broncos' Rafael Bush watches during the second half of an NFL football preseason game, Saturday, Aug. 18, 2012, in Denver. (AP Photo/Joe Mahoney)

In my story today, rookie running back Robert Turbin said he was not surprised that his roommate, Russell Wilson was announced as the team’s starting quarterback over the weekend.

Turbin said he texted Wilson congratulations when he heard the news on TV, and believes that the rookie signal caller is ready to take on his new role.

“He’s the first guy in and the last guy out, you know what I mean?” Turbin said. “Sometimes I beat him to the punch. But ever since he’s got here, he’s acted like a quarterback that’s been here for 10 years. He never really acted like a rookie.

“He motivates guys to go to work. We know that as an offense we can depend on him. So in return we want him to be able to depend on us. So we just go out there and try and get the job done.”

Dave Boling of The News Tribune believes starting Wilson was the right decision. Boling: “Here’s why you’ll like him: When asked about his potential and the hype, he has humbly stated, “I get here early, I stay late, and I want to be great some day.” Carroll is giving him that chance. And it’s the right choice even if it’s earlier than anyone other than Wilson could have envisioned.

Jay Skurski of the Buffalo News reports that Tarvaris Jackson arrived in Buffalo Sunday night and is trying to pick up enough of the offense to play on Thursday against Detroit.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com writes about Earl Thomas, who had a very active practice on Monday.

Dan Hanzus of NFL.com writes that Pete Carroll had glowing things to say about Terrell Owens, and would not hesitate to bring the veteran receiver back.

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times writes that Wilson provides another example of rookie ready quarterbacks.

710 ESPN Seattle’s Brock Huard talks about how Matt Flynn should respond to finishing second in the quarterback competition in this video link.

Dan Wetzel of Yahoo Sports writes that Carroll stayed true to his USC roots of competition in choosing Wilson as his starter.

Alan Grant of the National Football Post offers an interesting analysis on Russell Wilson’s success – greed.

Wilson joins the Dan Patrick show to talk about his new starting job in this audio link.

Morning links
  1. gonefishin69690 says:

He never really acted like a rookie.” Well, he doesn’t play like one either

2. princeaden says:

Something suggests that TO will be back after the final cuts, when Lockette or Durham or whomever is stashed on the PS/IR.

3. How many times will we here about the #7 that is no longer here?

My over/under is +4.

Barring any injury, I think T.O. is done here.

joreb – lol. You had it right the first time.

5. ruminator1 says:

Really pumped about this team and this season. Hard to imagine a better preseason. PC. made hard decisions and while I would have liked TO to stick around until we had definitive knowledge about his skills, I am ok with it. I was interested in the comments. Pete made above on letting Owens go and on both his abilities and his attitude.
    On Wilson – on board. He might not turn out to be successful but I cannot remember any Qb in Hawk history who generated this much excitement.
    On TJax –glad he landed a chance and wish him well. Wish BObby would cease his inane assaults. Reminds me of the idiot who shoved “curry is a bust ” down our throats. (At least he was right.) And for those who hate to hear about how TJax played through injury without complaining, citing that as the norm for tough football, passing with a pectoral injury is a different situation. Difficult. Regardless, time to end this stupidity. I love some of Bobby ‘s posts, even many I disagree with, but this is way out if balance. You made your point, we ‘be read it. We don ‘t talk about the welched bet anymore. Let ‘s not bash TJ anymore.

Oh wait, you meant the forst Here… lol. Let me get some coffee and try this again.

7. Kris Durham has showed nothing at all in two preseasons and his limited game film. The only consistency he has shown is in his failures–he’s consistently confused, consistently not physical enough, consistently in the wrong place…the guy is terrible. As far as I can tell, the only reason he hasnt been cut is becuase Carrol and Schneiders egos are at stake–they drafted this guy, a career backup in college, at least a round ahead of where he would have went (I realize they dont care about that)–and even before Richard Sherman–and dont want to admit they whiffed.

I think Durham is too skinny and not physical enough to ever be a dominant WR. I would have rather stayed with the TO experiment. I know TO can catch, and I figure with more time to shake off the rust, he’d get it back together; Durham on the other hand has dropped passes pretty much every practice and I have yet to see him get open like TO did on 80% of his routes.

I’d rather keep Butler and Charly Martin than watch Durham make the team and do nothing. At least Martin runs good routes, can block, and has great hands. Butler has real speed and looks a lot better in the slot than he ever did at SE or FL. Hell, Id rather promote Tuinei or Kearse than see Durham take up space.

Lord, I hope Im dead wrong, but so far Durham looks worse than Jordan Kent.

8. ruminator1 says:

Duke you and Joreb might be right about #10, but I think someone will try him again at some point. PC ‘s comments on his attitude do not seem merely polite.

9. I cant wait to see Russell start the season as our qb.

My only fear is the perennial problem of the damned Raiders injuring our players each year. Seriously, ever damn time we play them, at least one guy goes out for the year. Marcus Tubbs, Red Bryant lost for the year (tubbs forever), Tate with a high ankle sprain that cost him about a month as he came back gimpy, the list goes on and on…

I could care less what happens against the raiders, I just pray we dont have any serious injuries.

Cant wait for Week One!

10. gonefishin69690 says:

@STTBM, I agree that T.O. has the talent, but with all the youth we have on this team, do we really want a guy like T.O. to be the veteran “leader” on this team? None of us really know for sure, but I’m sure him being cut was not soley based on his performance.

11. Great to hear Robert Turbin and Wilson are roommates.

12. Soggybuc says:

I missed the part of the game where he was in Pete’s ear but I bet that did not sit well with him.

13. Brentlyr says:

I don’t buy the holding on to Durham because PC and JS drafted him business.

That simply goes against EVERYTHING they’ve done with questionable moves that haven’t worked out too well (see Wilson over Flynn as your first example)or not at all. (ahem…Charlie Whitehurst)

The guy was hurt pretty much all of last season and there’s nothing to suggest he will make the team this year.

14. sluggo42 says:

Slave,

I agree with you about Durham, and I doubt he makes the cut.

What do you think about Obo? Yes he is a great SP player, but my memory banks seem to recall him dropping a million crucial balls last year. I would prefer them to keep a Kearse over Obo… Kearse was money at UW, and he seems to be doing well lately from my limited views of the guy.

I’m totally on board with “Front row” Russ, and I’m not even worried about rookie mistakes, because all QB’s make mistakes, rookie or not. I would guess he learns faster than most not to repeat the error.

15. seahawk44 says:

I would love to go back to the posts on this blog after the draft. There were many people who were critical and upset that the Seahawks had wasted a 3rd round pick on a player that would hold a clipboard for his entire career. People that would have rather drafted Osweiler or Cousins.

Russell Wilson has something special, and in a few years he may be regarded as the best Seattle QB ever. I’m very happy to hear that he has won over the locker room and is now receiving the support of most fans.

Here’s to R.W. being R.O.Y. !!!

16. When you have a talented rookie with a great work ethic and attitude, you have the seeds of greatness. Steve Largent is a prime example of player who got the most out of his talent — and made it all the way to Canton. Let’s hope Russell Wilson can follow his footsteps.

Has anyone done a ranking of the Top Ten Most Valuable Seahawks (current)? Wilson is already in the top five of mine:

1. Earl Thomas

2. Marshawn Lynch

3. Red Bryant

4. Richard Sherman

5. Russell Wilson

6. Russell Okung

7. Chris Clemons

8. Sidney Rice

9. Doug Baldwin

10. K.J. Wright

Matt Flynn could arguably be on that list, as could Golden Tate, Brandon Mebane, etc.

17. MarkinSeattle says:

SSTBM, I doubt that they are keeping Durham around because of Carroll and Schnieder’s egos. They haven’t been shy about cutting other drafted guys, and considering their hit rate in the draft (especially this year based on early returns). I agree that Durham is a head scratcher, as he might be the worst WR on the team right now. I am still intrigued by Lockett though, and I hope we can squirrel him away on the practice squad.

I disagree on TO though. Sure he gets open, but the guy has a long history of dropping balls. He had a couple of notable drops here in Seattle during the playoffs that snuffed the chance for the Cowboys to get back in the game. Which actually isn’t uncommon. When the game is on the line, TO will drop the ball. His performance here in Seattle wasn’t an aberration, as he was always among the league leaders in dropped balls. Now having said that, he catches more than he drops, but when the pressure is on, he drops the ball.

18. A future Hall of Fame player like T.O. dropping a lot of balls reminds me of Barry Sanders getting stuffed behind the line of scrimmage a lot. Barry average 2 yards a carry for his first 10 carries, then he might go 80 yards on his 11th carry and have 100 yards and 9 ypc just like that. TO has drops, but he also has many great catches. If he had the right attitude, teams like Philly and Dallas would have retained him.

19. chuck_easton says:

I was wanting to root for Wilson just BECAUSE he’s too short to play in the NFL. I was always a good athelete but due to my parents (I’m suing them for not providing me with the proper genetics to succeed), I stopped growing at 5′ 9″ (well technically 5′ 8 3/4″ but if NFL players can round up so can I.

I played all sports in High School. When it came time for college I was told I was too small to play football. Got to go to school on a baseball scholarship. When I got to my first baseball practice I was told I was too short (and left handed) to play any infield position and got shuffled to the outfield even though I had played infield my entire baseball career.

So I know what it’s like to be told you can’t do something just based on whether or not you can reach the top shelf at the supermarket isle.

I was in the Flynn camp only because I didn’t think Wilson would be this ready this fast. Boy has he put everybody on notice that he is not to be taken lightly or ‘overlooked’ (pun intended).

I’m so into watching Wilson grow as a leader now I can’t sit still waiting for the season. I’m not ready to say he’s Pro-Bowl, HOF, Superbowl MVP, or top 10 elite QB status, YET, but the sky’s the limit for this kid and nobody better sell him ‘short’.

Even if he falters this year with rookie brain cramps I’m not worried because we have Flynn who can come in and be effective enough to keep the chains moving, just not as flashy.

Next year is going to be fun. I can’t wait to see how this team looks with two QB’s that can start. It’s been a while since we had one. Even in Matty’s haydays of 2004-2007 I would cringe whenever he took a hit or got up slowly because I knew the next guy off the bench was a major step backwards.

Not the case this year. If some situation occurs where Wilson has to miss a series, half, game, or games, we will be fine.

Not a bad problem to have at all.

20. I hope the Seattle WRs don’t make it possible for TO to return. The entire purpose of bringing him in was to motivate player like Edwards, Tate, Rice, etc. To show them that this old guy wants it, so you better want it. I think TO served his purpose for Seattle. Good riddance! Just the thought of him jawing at Russell in the huddle makes me cringe. TO is a cancer. He’s proven it throughout his career.

I’m still amazed at how on the money Gruden was with his assessment of Russell Wilson. I believe it was on draft day, after Gruden got into it with Mel Kiper Jr, that Gruden said “If I’m T Jax or Flynn, I’d be very wary of this kid Wilson…if he gets a shot to compete for the starting job, he will win it.” Boom. Gruden is the man!

21. Ewalters7354 says:

I hate hearing people say we have young guys who have potential but when injuries hit they can’t be counted on to do a thing!That’s why I hope the Hawks avoid major injuries.Simply because I don’t trust any of these young guys aside from Baldwin.And he’s been nicked up all camp and preseason.That’s shy I believe Butler makes the team.Also did anyone see that lazy double move Golden Tate ran against KC?I was literally aggravated seeing him not be able to run that simple route.All this trade talk I would love to get rid of this guy.I now call him the GHOST.He disappears too much in games.I’m just saying…

22. Mark-I’m not a TO fan, but your evaluation on his big game or high pressure resume is off base. Remember his Super Bowl with Philly, when he kept his team in the game on one good ankle? Or how about the game winning catch against Green Bay in the playoffs when he was in SF, when he got hammered as the ball arrived and held on for the catch? Does he have a lot of drops? Sure. What’s his drop percentage though (drops per 100 catches, for example)? He gets targeted more often than other receivers, has more catches than other receivers, and QB’s have a history of forcing the ball into tight windows with him (granted, some of that can be attributed to TO’s incessant whining for the ball).

23. sluggo42 says:

Just think what TO’s career numbers would have been without all his drops… mind boggling…

24. rramstad says:

Interesting speculation regarding TO. It may be a plan — or a consideration — to bring him back after week one. (If veterans are on the week one roster, they have a guaranteed salary for the whole year, as opposed to getting paid week to week.) I could totally see him being one of those “in the back pocket” kind of guys, so if Edwards or Rice gets too dinged up, we have the option of shutting them down for the season and bringing TO back.

25. chuck_easton says:

The Terrell Owens experiment was good for the team. The young WR’s got to see a guy with a world of talent that has ‘thrown much of it away’ due to attitude and DIVA behavior.

The message is clear. IF you are a HOF calibre player teams will tend to overlook the drama. As soon as your skills slide you are kryptonite and the team is Superman.

However, should Seattle find themselves in a position that they need to rent a WR to get them through a few games, having Owens know the system and very likely be readily available just might come in handy. Bring him in for a game or games at the vet minimum. If he’s a head case he can be let go with only having to pay him for services rendered.

26. owenbytheway says:

The Seahawks will pick up a WR after final cuts to 53.

And don’t be surprised if they don’t grab another MLB and CB as well.

27. sluggo42 says:

No other teams seem interested in him tho…

28. ruminator1 says:

PC’s comment: “Anybody that thinks he had an attitude around here or something like that got in the way is wrong,” Carroll said. “They don’t know what they’re talking about.

“This guy was great. He did everything we wanted him to do. He practiced hard, he studied hard, he asked questions, he worked hard in the games. He did everything. He was terrific.”

that is good enough for me.

Hope Butler makes this team. Thought I read somewhere that he was the fastest on the squad. True? He certainly has a great attitude.

29. Ewalters7354 says:

To say From Butler is so fast I have yet to see it in a game.I like the guy but I’m just saying…

30. Ewalters7354 says:
  31. R Dub (also OUR Dub and makes a reference to U Dub – Washington and Wisconsin)
    R Dub A Dub Dub

Saw this, but don’t like it…R Dub 3…it’s not bad to following RGIII. It does signify the round he was drafted in and his jersey number.

The other names are creative, but too long. I think his nickname should be short (like he supposedly is) and catchy.

GO HAWKS!

32. Soggybuc says:

Dont forget that Obo is the original cockroach. drafted by Holmgren, worked his way from PS to active roster and has been retained by 2 staffs that did not draft him.

33. ChrisHolmes says:

I can’t believe people are still apologizing for Tavaris Jackson. Worse, I can’t believe people are bashing BobbyK for his thoughts.

Torn pectoral or not, Jackson is a TERRIBLE NFL level QB. He just doesn’t possess the necessary tools to do the job.

BobbyK shouldn’t be attacked for stating the truth about Jackson.

Russel Wilson is everything Tavaris Jackson is not.

And thank goodness.

34. I’ve never been untruthful about anything I’ve ever said about Jackson. I’m simply glad I don’t have to write about it as we move into the future (as some are that they don’t have to read it). Let the good times roll!!!

35. Bobby went a little overboard with his Tarvaris hate. Tarvaris wasn’t terrible. He just wasn’t great either. We’ve seen a lot worse than Tarvaris in Seahawks uniform. Just go back to 1992.

36. WiscCory says:

I can’t tell you how many new Seahawk fans I ran into last weekend, while in central WI with the family.

RW is a huge news story on Madison TV.

37. WiscCory says:

Ruminator – did you see the INT return on Friday night? That’s the fastest man on the team.

38. GooseRocks says:

First timer here. Love the blog. I see lots of good opinions, discussion, rants, and kick a$$ passion for the hawks. Moved here in the Ruskell era, but became a big fan when Pete and John came in, blew up the mediocrity here, established their mission, and placed it on the field. In such a short time, the front office has built a solid core, added depth, and branded an identity. I understand it must translate to wins for validity. To me, it’s not a question of “if,” but moreso “when.” Here’s to 2012! (raising my glass of goose)

I have to say that I’m baffled Jackson is still a topic here. What’s the point, exactly?

40. SandpointHawk says:

Welcome aboard, GooseRocks….

41. Southendzone says:

Since he was named starter, RW already has over a dozen marriage proposals. Of them, 95% are from TnT blog posters, while 2 are from legitimate females.

42. Soggybuc says:

No kidding Duke, we should be talking about Curry instead.

43. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

chris, couldnt agree more. he is hurt so he had an excuse to suck then he heals and gets worse. wish him the best but glad he is gone.

i think what agrivates me more than anything is the high and mighty attitude of some of the posters on here. i have been around for a good many years and bobby was already here. last time i checked no one here is working for the hawks so regardless you all are just wanna be GMs just like the rest of us.

i enjoy comming on here reading all the posts even the ones i so not agree with. the back biting is getting old thou. ussually we are 3-4 games into the season before this crap starts. lighten up a bit peeps and quit taking yourselves so seriously.

44. “BobbyK shouldn’t be attacked for stating the truth about Jackson.”

He’s not being attacked for stating the truth. He’s being attacked for stating the truth a thousand times.

If you want to get him off of T-Jack for a few posts, just mention how we got screwed by Hutch, twice.

45. MattandCindy says:

Or we could only talk about what the “important” posters tell us to…

46. Im glad T-Jack found a team that wanted him, he’s got a chance to see the field, and he got a fresh start. He’s an athlete and a toughguy, and a good dude. He did better than I thought he would. He was not terrible, and the Seahawks have had at least 10 qb’s that were worse than him (many of whom started). Among them (in no particular order):

1) Stan Gelbaugh
    2) Jeff Kemp
    3) Rick Mirer
    4) Dan McGwire
    5) Timm Rosenbach
    6) Mark Rypien
    7) Ryan Leaf
    8) David Greene
    9) John David Booty
    10) John Freisz (actually he was good, but blew his knee out so never made it)
    11) Mike Teel
    12) Gale Gilbert
    13) Charlie Frye
    14) Charlie Whitehurst
    15) Brock Huard
    16) Glen Foley
    17) KELLY STOUFFER
    18) Bruce Mathison
    19) Steve Myer

MOst of these guys started, and the list doesnt include all the crappy backups and third stringers who werent even good enough to start one game.

If that isnt a list of shame, dont know what is.

Dude gave us his best, it was mediocre on average and certainly not good enough. Thank god for Flynn and Wilson! Let the good times roll! Now, on to more fun stuff.

47. Sluggo–I still like Obomanu, and I think he’s a decent FL and will do surprisingly well if he is able to play opposite a guy like Rice. But if Rice isnt there, Obo’s shortcomings (lack of speed) stick out. I too am worried about his dropsies at the end of last year–not like him at all–and it seems to have carried over into preseason. He’s also missed time with the neck thing.

Im hoping the drops were from nerves, and his recent practice is a sign that he’s back to his old competent self.

I have no idea if he makes the team. Charly Martin (who is from WALLA WALLA!)is a younger version of Obo, Butler looks like a good backup slot guy who can play FL and SE if he has to, and theres Lockette with his speed, and dont forget Kearse the future starting FL, and Tuinei…too many bodies, not enough roster spots.

I think they keep Rice, Baldwin, Tate, Butler, Edwards, and maybe one more guy…toss up between Martin, Obo, and Lockette. The Raiders game will be huge for Lockette, Obo, and Martin.

I hope Kearse and Tuinei make the PS. Tuinei might get snagged as other teams wanted him as a FA, despite the fact that Kearse has outplayed him.

But with Carrol and company, who the hell knows who they’ll keep?

48. I dont know if TO had a tude or not. I think his drops would have decreased dramatically in a couple weeks. He’s been out of football over a year, and is rusty. But they cant teach speed, nor size, and he still has both. He still runs routes better than Tate, he just needs to run the right ones lol!

49. Chuck–The voice of reason once again. Nice comment, well stated.

50. First guy in, last guy out – – is there even a single thing not to like about this guy?

Kudos to PC/JS for drafting him, more kudos for having the guts to give a 3rd round pick a legit shot at the starting QB role in a very important year for the team, and esp so when they had a pretty high-profile FA signing for the position.

Can not wait for opening week . . .

51. “For all of Pete’s happy go lucky attitude the truth is if you dont toe the line 100% he’ll send you packing with out hesitation.”

Same could be send for if you are not better than the next guy, no matter where the next guy was picked or how much $ he signed for. I think that’s what people who only know Carroll from his USC days do not understand. I didn’t understand it about him until he became coach here. He is Mr. Positive Energy, and he does really create a communal, family feeling in the locker room — but if you are out of line, or just not good enough, you are gone, w/out emotion, and in a hurry. And there’s not a thing wrong with that.

Farnsworth also had a good piece on Wilson. I liked this:

“Even in the offseason, when we had those five weeks off, he was still in here at 6, 7 o’clock in the morning studying film, then working out, then throwing. He’s a professional. And as a young guy that’s something that we all struggle with – how to be a professional.”

53. sluggo42 says:

I think that Lockett could get the part only due to his speed. He could be coached into a good gunner for ST’s I think, and then slipped into the mix. I think Pete loves the athlete in the guy and sees a future, if, he has improved in the last few weeks, but Butlers return as another speed guy casts a problem into that.

I just think that Obo is starting to show his age a little, and the theme of this team is young and fast, the two things he isn’t.

One thing I have been saying a lot lately as well as a few others, is how RW won the locker room, and when the team is with you, they will sacrifice everything for “that” guy, I don’t know that Flynn has that “leadership” quality like RW has. It just oozes out of him, and you see that the vets even see it, and they want to play for the guy too.

They can measure his physical size, but measuring a mans ability to lead others into war isn’t something one can put a ruler to. I still remember out high school team captains name 40 years later, God rest his soul. But he had the same knack, and the team just rallied behind the guy. Can’t explain why really, it’s just something they do. I’ve held numerous leadership position in my life, but I can’t say I ever had that unique ability, or skill? Not even sure what to call it. People did what I asked them too, because it got them a paycheck, not because I was a great leader of men. But I’m guessing you have known a few people in your life that had “it”.
    It’s a rare talent, and when combined with sick athletic skills, it makes for something special.

How cool for us fans that we finally get a true leader on our battlefield. Not the General (Pete) but the guy in the trench bleeding with us. I think that alone will translate into 3-4 wins…

54. ruminator1 says:

WisCory–yes i did see the interception and i really do not know who is fastest. both have suggested they are. Regardless i do hope Butler makes this team.

Bobbyk says he is free from the need for further anti-TJ comments. Good enough for me.

T.O.–I think when anyone offers a strong opinion of a player or coach there will be many who agree and many who disagree. The nature of the game. The problem is when the same opinion or topic goes on too long or is repeated too often. Anyway it seems most of us are ready to put aside the TJ and TO topics.

Chuck–Interesting comments about first-hand experience with height prejudice. I’m a tad over 6′ (guess I’d better make that “around 6′” since I think I have definitely shrunk being an old fart doncha know), so I didn’t face that. But Wilson . How can we not root for this guy. Almost the archetype of the underdog. I was intrigued when he was being considered for the draft, did some research and hoped like hell we would draft him. Since then it has been like a storybook. Agree there are certain to be setbacks, but this is one determined individual. If success can be secured through talent and determination, he is a lock. Unfortunately, there are a lot of other factors that figure in. So, he might be everything we all hope he will be. But even so it could be Flynn who emerges eventually as the regular QB for this team. Regardless, Wilson is so unique and so exciting it is hard to not pull for a grand slam every time he is on the field. A great sports story.

55. freedom_X says:

I’m not certain Ricardo Lockette can be coached up to be a good special teams player. The times I’ve watched him on those units (particularly last preseason) he didn’t look like he had the fanatical desire and attitude you need to excel on those units.

I remember him on a coverage unit last year where the other team broke a long return, and I expected him to be overhauling the ball carrier even if he didn’t catch him. But he didn’t make up one step, and I recall thinking he looked like he was loafing a bit. It might have been the San Diego preseason game.

Without that attitude, no coaching can make him effective (unless he’s a specialty guy like a kick blocker or a return man.) Neither of those apply to Lockette.

56. STTBM……there were several quarterbacks I am pretty sure were not a Seahawk on your list. Among them (in no paticular order) were Ryan Leaf, Mark Rypien, Timm Rosenbach, John David Booty……etc.

57. Canfan- no cam on your list?

58. Leaf was briefly a Seahawk back in the Holmgren era. IIRC, he retired during camp when he couldn’t get his wrist right. Rypien was also on the team briefly. Neither played a meaningful down for the Seahawks though.

Not sure about Rosenbach or Booty.

That being said, I think the original post was on the mark: Tjack is mediocre at best, but can’t compete with the QB fail parade that marked the dark days of the franchise.

59. To pile on, I just hit up wikipedia, and Josh Gibson Booty was Seattle’s 6th round pick in 2001. Josh David Booty is his younger brother. Rosenbach didn’t play for the Seahwaks.

60. Well interestingly Redskins released Chris Cooley. He would be an excellent addition as a 4th TE and insurance if either Miller or Winslow get injured.

He’s an immediate talent/experience upgrade to McGrath…. If Cooley also gets injured I don’t see us having a problem snatching up McGrath again at any point of the season

61. SandpointHawk says:

Leaf in 2002
    Rypien in 2002
    Rosenbach turned down offer and signed with Saints in 1995
    Josh Booty not John in 2001

The internet is a wonderful information source….

62. Cooley isn’t looking to be a 4th TE. Miami and Oakland have been mentioned has a landing spot.

63. Soggybuc says:

“The internet is a wonderful information source…”

LOL, making us all look far smarter than is the reality.

64. wazzulander says:

Boy, it is tough not to love RW. Despite all the criticism Carroll took for his handling of the QB competition I think he did it the right way and I am happy with the end result – Wilson starting and keeping Portis instead of Jackson.

Best wishes to T-Jack in Buffalo, he was a warrior for us even if he had his share of mistakes. I honestly don’t get the philosophy of fans who eagerly rip into players on their favorite team for reasons other than not giving 100% effort (or some sort of off the field trouble). If you want to rip the front office for signing a player that “sucks” go ahead, but the player can control is his effort. So go ahead and exaggerate how bad he was, overlook any mitigating factors and feel better about yourself because you know “he sucks” and aren’t afraid to tell people…

65. PEARLJAM23 says:

Great post Sluggo42. He will lead this team to great things. Because he has “IT!”

Go Hawks!!

66. HonHawksLSB says:

I have been telling this to all my frieds since the draft ended. Russell Wilson will have a better career than RG3, not quite as good as Luck, but #2 is not bad behind the best QB prospect of all time.

1. Luck
    2. Wilson
    3. RG3

Does anyone recall the torrid pace RG3 was on at the beginning of last year for Baylor where he had more td passes than incompletions? Well… Russell Wilson ended the year with a higher QB rating. That should tell you something about the guy!

67. STTBM – if you want to see why Durham is still on the team getting one last chance, look at the Pittsburgh game from early last year. Durham was as good as any WR on our team that day, but then got injured. I think the team has expected him to get back to that level again this year and they gave him that chance.

I agree with you, however, that he hasn’t shown that ability this year, and unless he breaks out in the Oakland game, he is likely done here.

WRs I like:
    Rice
    Baldwin
    Edwards
    Butler (backup slot/flanker)
    Martin (special teams)
    Tate (punt returner)

68. raymaines says:

I owe everybody on this blog an apology for insinuating on a different thread that Tavaris Jackson was a whiner. He’s not. Never was and never will be.

I shouldn’t have submitted any of that comment, but even overlooking that lack of judgment, I was out line to try to express my displeasure with the way either TJack or any of us handled his injury. Sorry.

69. raymaines is a classy dude.

Wow, no kidding. You don;t read those type of posts very often. Well done.

71. princeaden says:

Indeed Sir.

72. Much respect to that post Raymaines..

73. No worries Ray.
    On a side note, I just saw our boy DangeRuss on the network, and just feel proud that he is our qb and face of the franchise. The first time I became aware of RW was sometime last year, when some media were amazed that he could pick up a new offense at Wisconsin that quickly and become a team captain. That made me think that we need someone like him, but I didn’t think the Seahawks would draft him. They almost never draft the player that I think we should get, after all. For this year, making the playoffs are a realistic expectation, and once you get to the dance, you never know, you could get hot at the right time. The last 2 champs went 10-6 and 9-7 during the regular season. Reading what Dave had to say about the team being jacked is getting me all hyped and amped up for the season. GO HAWKS!!!