Morning links: Turbin shows steady progress

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 26, 2012 at 8:24 am with 24 Comments »
August 26, 2012 8:24 am
Seattle Seahawks running back Robert Turbin (22) gets past Kansas City Chiefs linebacker Justin Houston (50) during the first half of an NFL preseason football game in Kansas City, Mo., Friday, Aug. 24, 2012. (AP Photo/Ed Zurga)

In my story today, with Marshawn Lynch sitting out most of the preseason to rest his back and get ready for Seattle’s season opener against Arizona in two weeks, rookie running back Robert Turbin has filled in nicely.

Turbin is fourth in the league during preseason play with 151 yards on 34 carries, an average gain of 4.4 yards.

Turbin got his first start against Kansas City on Friday, darting through the Chiefs for 93 yards on 14 carries, including a 25-yard touchdown run.

“There were some plays where I kind of caught myself second guessing once I got into the secondary,” Turbin said. “But I’ve always got to keep in mind that the fastest way to get into the end zone is running north and south. So I’ve just got to keep that in mind, and keep working hard and practicing hard – keep taking the coaching, and I’ll get better.”

John McGrath of The News Tribune takes a look at the success third round picks at quarterback have had, with the possibility Russell Wilson is named the starter. Wilson will join a group that includes Dan Fouts and Joe Montana. If named the starter for the season opener, Wilson would become the first third-round pick to start as a rookie since Joe Ferguson in Buffalo in 1973.

Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com gives Russell Wilson the nod as the top performing rookie quarterback over Andrew Luck and RGIII for this week.

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times wonders if there’s still room for Terrell Owens on Seattle’s roster. O’Neil: “He’s in great shape, and remains a big-play threat on a team that didn’t have a player catch more than 51 passes a year ago. But with Braylon Edwards also playing well, he’s no sure thing to make the roster. This could be a call that comes down to the wire.”

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com writes that Russell Wilson is part of an impressive rookie class that Seattle drafted this season.

710 ESPN Seattle’s Mike Salk writes that Russell Wilson should be the starter.

Former Seahawks Anthony Hargrove was released by Green Bay.

Bill Barnwell of Grantland is here to offer some advice on how to win your fantasy football league. His conclusion on the game based on at times sheer luck – fantasy football is stupid. Agreed, but I’ll still throw some meat on the grill and hold my draft this afternoon. Barnwell does attempt to apply some logic to rating players that could help in your drafts.

Morning links
  1. FleaFlicker says:

Whatever the decision on T.O., I’ve got faith in JS/PC to make the right call. Still rooting for the guy, but haven’t seen many on-field reasons to keep him around.

2. “Wilson would become the first third-round pick to start as a rookie since Joe Ferguson in Buffalo in 1973.”

Had no idea its been nearly 40 years.

3. Wow! We could have as many as four rookies start for us this year, with another a spot starter (depending on nfl ruling/health)! Add a possible FA or two and we’re talking a huge upgrade over the prior year for this team… Of course the maturity of the rookies that started last year won’t hurt us a bit…. good gracious! As we’ve seen in the preseason, It seems hard not to believe that we will be competitive, and perhaps more, every week of this upcoming season… What a fun time….

4. Ewalters7354 says:

I was one who said Turbin didn’t impress me heading into the KC game,but he showed me exactly what I needed to see.Now I feel comfortable with him filling in for Marshawn if need be.Also,I would love if the Hawks can keep both T.O. and Braylon Edwards.Two big play guys that can keep the defense honest.Also,if Sidney Rice goes down with injury I wouldn’t trust From Butler or any of the young,developing guys to step in and play to the level needed for success.Just my take.Of course the coaching staff will do what they feel is best and I’m definately in.Go Hawks!

5. edstang45 says:

I think TO will/should be let go, He can still seperate,but he lets the ball come to him, he has yet showed he will go get it. Edwards has continued to show he has the willingness, and the ability to go up over and around the defender to go get the ball. With that ability he is going to make our QB that much better.

Wilson needs that type of reciever to enhance his play. TO has always been the type who needs the perfect pass, and when he doesn’t get it he is to quick to blame, and pout!!! This defenitley our weakness Do we have the guys to go get the ball when the defense has the advantage??? we’ll see……I think we could be a Megatron/Larry Fitzgerald type away from the superbowl

6. Eric – as always nice article!

I like Turbin and think he is perfect for what they drafted him to do. Learn and fill in for Lynch as needed! Great addition to the team.

7. Ewalters7354 says:

If you look at T.O.’s career he has never been the type of receiver to go up and fight for the ball.But with that being said he can separate and get down the field.Aside from Rice and Edwards,and Lockette(who I believe is going on the practice squad) who else do the Hawks that can fill that void?Ok,I understand he drops a bunch of balls but last time I checked Braylon Edwards is just as bad.Ok,he can’t play special teams but that’s why you have Deon Butler and Golden Tate.Obo to me has shown this preseason that he is totally outdone by the competition at WR.If he stays on the team I will be a mad SOB.

8. Re: TO. I liked the big catch he made, but I didn’t like to see him jawing in Pete’s ear when the coach was concentrating on something else. It takes extra energy to deal with that kind of person, energy that you want to be putting into other things, other players. Pete puts out a lot of energy to all the players, but everyone’s got a limit. So the question is, how many catches a game does TO need to make for it to be worthwhile putting up with him? Because he’s an energy drain.

9. raymaines says:

I don’t pretend to know anything about TO, but I’m going to agree with Mitch Levi that if he isn’t a starter there isn’t much reason to keep him.

Mitch points out that the #4 wide receiver was on the field for about 7% of the offensive plays last year, probably less this year due to the expanded use of the TE’s, and TO is too much trouble for that little time on the field.

So, do we collectively think he’s a starter? Or to muddy the waters, do we think TO can fill in for Sidney Rice if need be?

10. raymaines says:

One more thing: Here’s a list of players somebody thinks might get cut on Monday.

11. I admit TO can’t outfight DB’s for the ball, and could turn into a potential headache. Pete’s specialty is dealing with star players and managing egos, I’ll trust him to decide when enough is enough. But again, we need him just as much as he needs us. Let’s remember why he was signed in the first place. We are desperate at WR. Let’s assume Rice starts at flanker and Edwards at Split End. Baldwin is locked in at the slot. What if Rice gets injured, which is more likely than not. I hope it doesn’t happen, but history is not on our side. TO would be insurance for Rice, and an upgrade over Obo. That 4 so far. Butler is capable in his own right and has shown he is willing to play ST, he could also fill in for Baldwin if his hammy acts up.
    The last WR we keep should be Tate, because he doesn’t drop many balls and still has tremendous potential as a playmaker overall. He can also play ST, and provide insurance for Leon returning kicks and punts. If we keep a 7th, then I have no problem if it’s Martin or Lockette.
    1. Rice
    2. Baldwin
    3. Edwards
    4. Butler
    5. TO
    6. Tate

12. Thanks for the link Ray. Some interesting names to think about. I really like Kearse and Lisowski, Helfet too. hopefully we can stash them on the PS. TJ was #10 on the cut list, and we need to cut 15, however I don’t think we can go ahead and make that move until we’re sure MF’s elbow tendinitis is not a serious issue.

13. OregonHawk says:

I admit I don’t like TO! I have not watched him prior to
    this season to know his tendencies. But from what I have
    seen this preseason, I say no to TO!

1. Rice
    2. Baldwin
    3. Edwards
    4. Butler
    5. Charlie Martin
    6. Tate

14. OregonHawk says:

I also would prefer to trade G. Tate to say the Redskins or the Raiders. I don’t like his route running, he is very exciting for Punt Returns thou.

15. seahawk44 says:

I want to bring up something that not many are talking about and that is the replacement officials.

They are missing so many calls it is pitiful. Yes, the Seahawks benefitted from many non-call holds on the O-line, but one play that really stood out to me was a missed hold on the Chiefs on their TD pass at the end of the 1st half. Winston Guy was coming on a QB rush, when he was so blatantly held that I screamed where are they looking! Go back and look at that play. If that’s not holding, then I don’t know what is.

I think the NFL needs to get the best officials on the field. It is ridiculous, IMO, that they put all of these new replay rules in to help get the calls right but only slow down the game, BUT, they will not pay the men who do it the best. Especially a league that generates so much revenue. Let the NFL officials get a full-time salary and work on their craft for a whole year, and get these replacements off the field. Here is a good read on this:

16. princeaden says:

I think that Russell Wilson is going to emerge as one of the top 10 exciting players this season. Yes, he will make some Rookie mistakes, but those will be well overcome by the positive contributions, making the boo boo’s forgettable imo. This guy is Lighting in a bottle and we will see it first hand this season. I can’t wait for the regular season to start.

17. Regarding the Refs–by all means let’s bring back the great officials, like the one’s in Superbowl XL. If the media and coaches were allowed to publicly criticize the regulars like they do the replacements, it would be more a more level field. Give them a chance. Everything I have seen them chastised for, I have seen the regular prima donnas do also.

18. TO released.

19. Hope all who were hoping TO got cut are happy. Good news is that I don’t think another team will sign him, based on the film this preseason and his drops. He will still be available for us to pick up if Rice goes down.

20. It’s Charly time…Martin that is!

21. Rice
    Baldwin
    Edwards
    Tate
    Butler
    Martin

Kearse
    Tunei (don’t know his exact spelling)
    Practice squad?

22. Macabrevity says:

Put me on the Charly bandwagon as well. I like the gametime productivity.

23. Tjack to Bills!