Final: Seahawks 30, Broncos 10

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 18, 2012 at 10:04 pm with 134 Comments »
August 18, 2012 10:04 pm
Denver Broncos' Chris Harris (25) breaks up a pass intended for Seattle Seahawks' Terrell Owens (10) in the first half of an NFL football preseason game on Saturday, Aug. 18, 2012, in Denver. (AP Photo/Joe Mahoney)

The Seattle Seahawks won their second straight exhibition game, 30-10 over the Denver Broncos tonight.

Check out the happy totals here.

Matt Flynn struggled in his second straight, finishing 6 of 13 for 31 yards.

But Flynn didn’t get much help.

With starting receivers Sidney Rice and Doug Baldwin nursing injuries, Terrell Owens made his first start for the Seahawks and laid an egg. The 38-year-old receiver was targeted five times but finished without a catch. Owens’ poor performance in the first half included a perfectly thrown deep ball by Flynn that slipped through his hands in the back of the end zone.

Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch got his first action of exhibition play, rushing five times for 32 yards, including a long of 14 yards.

Rookie Russell Wilson started and played the entire second half, completing 10 of 17 passes for 155 yards, and throwing two touchdown passes.

Wilson played mostly against second-and-third-team players on Denver’s defense.
Tarvaris Jackson did not play for a second straight game. Even Josh Portis got in for a series.

The defense was once again solid, forcing three, first-half turnovers against a Peyton Manning-led offense.

Thoughts? let us know in the comments section.

Game coverage
  1. I posted this on the previous page, but this is what I thought of Eldorado:

Eldorado, Part II

Eldorado, why don’t you catch any passes?
    You been out getting covered by Champ too long now
    Oh, you’re an old one
    I know that you played too many seasons
    These passes from Flynn on the hands of you
    Can hurt you somehow

Don’t you drop the touchdown passes, boy
    Mr. Happy might cut you when he’s able
    You know the catching the damn ball is always your best bet

Now it seems to me, some fine passes
    Have been laid upon your table
    But you only want the ones that you can’t get

Eldorado, oh, you ain’t gettin’ no younger
    Your potential pink slip and stone hands, they’re drivin’ you home
    And the roster, oh the roster, well, that’s just some people talkin’
    Your play is making it look like you’ll spend the NFL season all alone

Don’t your hands get cold in the Mile High?
    The ball won’t stay and the sun won’t shine
    It’s hard to tell the night time from the day
    You’re losin’ all your hopes and it’s low
    Ain’t it funny how the roster spot goes away?

Eldorado, why don’t you catch your touchdown passes?
    Come down from your benches, open the gate
    It may not have been rainin’, but there’s now a shadow above you
    You better catch some passes, before it’s too late

2. BobbyK – no comment on the LaConfora link?

3. best stat of the game: Broncos held to 38 yards rushing.

4. PC has created a real mess for himself since, on paper at least, Wilson has completely outplayed Flynn, and now Pete has to either let Wilson play with the #1’s next week, or admit that this was not really open competition all along. The only way Pete can start Flynn at this point is if Wilson falls on his face with the #1’s. But if Wilson does play next week, and doesn’t capture the starting job, Flynn is not getting the playing time he needs with the #1’s. Good job handling this, Pete. You should of just named Flynn the starter a long time ago.

5. abqhwkfn says:

I do believe RWs play deserves a look with the 1st team. Flynn did not seperate himself and left the door open for at least another week. im concerned with the lack of a pass rush. I do not like that the first team offense did not score a td. The d did provide them with 3 turnovers in one half.. Gotta punch those in. My impression, the first half looked very similar to last year.. But i think Rice, Baldwin, Miller, KW2, Mike Rob and more carries for Marshawn can help that.. At least i hope it will..

6. This is a total Mess – all thanks to Pete. Sorry – yes he knows more football than me – but it was VERY clear today that TO was not on the same page as Flynn – there were 2 passes where he was the hot read and he didn’t even turn around – and then the total dropped pass on the clear TD pass.

Giving TJ the #1 reps the last 2 weeks has been a COMPLETE waste of time and set our team back EVEN IF Wilson ends up starting

The starting OL struggled tonight – 5 penalties or was it 6 and Okung was getting all he can handle from Dummerville – and it pretty much holding on many plays!! I loved Breno’s attitude but the penalities UGGG

7. So with respect to Matt Flynn, what’s the point of starting yet another average QB who can’t elevate the offense when teammates make simple mistakes? Flynn threw late to Owens on a third down pass and had 2 passes go through Broncos hands. He had great field position through out the half with a running game that was working and had nothing to show for it. So its not like he’s blameless.

How many passes did Koren Robinson and Darrell Jackson drop for Hasselbeck back in the day? Yet, Hasselbeck had a pretty good few years despite that back then.

8. How many games did Hasselbeck start before he started to look good? Give Matt Flynn a chance. If he fails, then it’s RW’s job. But I’d still have Flynn start the first few games.

9. He is not blameless – but 70 yards in penalties doesn’t help the cause.

Oh and you can’t count the Sutton TD for Wilson since it was all YAC ;)

10. Russell Wilson is the real deal. But I think Matt Flynn is the real deal, too. It’s a heck of a lot better than last year when we had tweedle dee and tweedle dumb (and I could never figure out which was which).

I’m a Flynn fan and was pretty happy with his performance. I thought he played better than his numbers indicated, especially going against a really good Denver defense (and a group of starters that I expect to make a deep run in the play-offs in the AFC and could easily make it to the Super Bowl, IMO).

I’m also a Wilson fan and was impressed. I don’t want to take anything away from his performance b/c I was extremely happy about it, but I have also seen guys like Nick Reed dominate against 3rd, 4th and 5th stringers. But I think Wilson showed enough tonight to warrant at least a little bit of time to get some PT with the #1 unit next week. It sucks that the 3rd pre-season game is where you play it “for real” for about three quarters though so it may not happen.

I was terribly mad about the playcalling tonight. I thought there were times, if this was a competition, where Flynn should have been throwing the ball instead of running it up the middle with vanilla if you’re truly trying to “gather information.”

I don’t think Fox was trying to be a jerk or anything, but he talked after the game about how depleted their back-ups are with injuries (pretty much saying that the Seahawk players playing in the second half didn’t play against anyone any good). Those Denver players did get owned on both sides of the ball in the second half.

I don’t remember the exact play, but one Wilson play that really stood out to me was a pretty good pass over the middle to, I think, a TE. He stood in the pocket and wizzed it in there and from the back camera angle, you could tell how short he is, but he still saw or had incredible anticipation and I was like “Wow.” Him being a midget didn’t matter one bit and I got really excited about it.

I know I’ve said it before, but I hope the Flynn (fan) camp and Wilson (fan) camp can support the QB that doesn’t get the start this season. I can handle it when you have two good options, not a bad option and a worse option. Regardless, this is going to be a fun season!

11. That pass that TO dropped in the end zone — it looked like the type of pass thrown by a guy who, the last time he started, passed for 480 yards.

12. abqhwkfn says:

I dont see a significant upgrade from Tjack to Flynn.. So let the rookie with the most potential start.. Hes.shown already a greater ability to make and create plays.. He at least deserves a look with the 1st team.. I hope theres an element to the pass rush we havent seen yet.. One on one our boys were Dline was beat on pass plays.. Manning had all day.

13. Wilson looked a little Drew Brees like standing in the pocket today, physically speaking.

At some point, if Wilson is really the guy, he’s going to have to get all the reps. This split hurts him more than anyone.

14. The absolute dumbest thing Mr. Happy has done is giving all of these reps that should have gone to Flynn and Wilson to Jackson. Who cares if we get a 7th round pick for him? I’d rather not have some late pick (granted, it could be a Sweezy) so our top two QBs would have had ample time/reps to get ready for a season (and I think a season is more important than a potential late round pick).

What about that Josh Portis drive against the Denver defense (even though he only had one 3rd down run for a 1st down)? Maybe he should get a chance to start. lol

I worry that Wilson looked good/great because of how bad the Denver back-ups are (in relation to our back-ups). But, still, what more does he have to do to get his shot? It’s not his fault his competition sucked and if you’re great, that’s what you do, you kick their butts (Denver back-ups).

Me, I’d go Flynn, but I wish their process of “gathering information” would have been more well planned so we could have potentially seen what Wilson could do with Miller and Elvis coming after him and guys like Champ Bailey covering his WRs. I don’t know if it would have been in the form of going every other series for the first three quarters (or whatever)? I know that’s not perfect either. I don’t have a master plan for it either but that’s why I’m criticizing from the couch. However, I expect the head coach to have had a better blueprint.

Other: Breno had a holding penalty that I really liked. Flynn held onto the ball a bit longer than normal and the DE was about the kill him and potentially get a sack or even create a fumble and Breno simply took him to the ground. I thought that was a really good use of a penalty in that situation.

15. grizindabox24 says:

I think PC has already made up his mind. The only ways that RW starts a game for Seattle this season are 1) Hawks offense if horrible through the first 4-6 games, 2) Flynn gets hurt.

16. grizindabox24 says:

Also, Bobby is correct. PC must pick a guy and give him the reps.

17. crunchmeister says:

At the end of the first half our starters were down by one on the scoreboard, but IMO they outplayed a good to potentially great Denver team on the road. But for the one big drop, the push out on Tate in the endzone, and a couple of mis-reads by a certain high profile reciever it would have been a BIG lead for the Hawks at halftime.

That Denver D is a good group, but we controlled the ball and the clock against them… again, on the road.

Our starting D looked good. Not many teams are going to shut out P Manning.

Some guys at the bottom of the roster flashed, some guys looked like they can’t be trusted on special teams… this is where the real battle is.

Seeing Butler make a tackle on kick coverage was.. odd. Still, I hope he can contribute there and make the team. I think he has upside that we haven’t seen yet… potential.

Wilson is a fantastic rookie QB who is obviously much better than the competition he’s been playing against. I understand why some fans are calling for him to play with the 1’s. Here’s the thing: I believe Pete has a plan for QB, and it seems like Wilsons role in that plan is backup QB, at least for now. I was not a supporter of Pete when he was hired, but honestly, he has completely won me over. He and his staff have proven themselves again and again to be fantastic talent evaluators and out of the box thinkers (CW not withstanding). Until the wheels come off of this thing, I’m going to trust his judgement. If he decides Tuesday that Wilson should get a look, I’m good with that. If he decides Flynn needs 3 quarters with the 1s (which is what I expect), then I think that he’s seeing what I’m seeing… a young guy who’s going to be fantastic, but isn’t quite ready yet.

18. bird_spit says:

Remove the TO plays, and Flynn looks good/adequate. This timing issue with TO is all about practice reps. Pete needs to end the competition and name him…RW will make a great backup plan.

19. bird_spit says:

It could be a whole other thing…anyone watch the QB implosion down in the desert?

20. Soggybuc says:

Switching between window’s and following some of the comments tonight was pretty incredulous.
    Manning is a HOF lock and the Denver line played well in pass protection. not so much in the run game. Denver won the pass game and the Hawks won the run game as far as line play.
    Sometimes i wonder if some of you really understand how the game of Football works. anything less than 23 sacks a game with 14 touchdown drives = the hawks suck!
    Get a clue or go back to your Xbox and Madden where you can be a coaching hero.

21. I think Flynn has “it.” He’s going to be a better QB than T-Jack even though his arm isn’t as strong, he isn’t as big/fast, etc. b/c he has “it.”

I think Seneca Wallace and Russell Wilson are similar, but Wilson is going to be good/great because he has “it” too. Seneca never had “it.” He was just physically gifted.

For the first time in over a year, I no longer miss Matt Hasselbeck. It’s not to dis on Matt, either. It’s just that I’m excited about the here and now at this position.

22. grizindabox24 says:

come on soggy, we all know that Sutton should be starting for the Hawks. I mean he put it on the Donkeys

23. VNHLNFAN says:

I thought Flynn looked much better in this PRE-SEASON game. A couple of timing issues with T.O. and a DROPPED touchdown pass were critical but all in all why bbq Flynn? RW looked great against backups..would love to see him go with the first unit and stay in the pocket..he can run but he won’t stay healthy for long.

24. Soggy – don’t you know that if a QB hands the ball off 3 times and doesn’t get a 1st down and then punts that it’s all the QBs fault and he sucks and should be benched?

25. Lots of hyperventilation here over the SECOND PRESEASON PRACTICE GAME. Flynn shows great command of the offense. Wilson shows amazing promise for a rookie. The QB position is in better shape than we might have hoped a few months ago.

Our defense will win games. Our offense needs to control the ball and not lose games. Flynn will do this.

I’m watching the AZ Cardinals right now against Oakland. Holy crap the AZ offensive line in BAD. Our D is going to FEAST on AZ QBs on opening day. Haven’t seen enough pass rush out of Seattle yet in preseason? Just wait until opening day in Phoenix.

26. Stevos – I couldn’t figure out why they (AZ) didn’t take DeCastro? Maybe they figured that since the whole line sucks so bad that having one good player on it wouldn’t make a difference, so who cares? lol

27. Bobby, once again we are fortunate that the AZ franchise is run by boneheads!

28. crunchmeister says:

I don’t see how they go into next week in ‘tryout mode’. It’s time to get a look at the whole offense… lets get Rice, Baldwin, Winslow, Beast, Robinson, etc all on the field together. I’d be shocked if Flynn doesn’t start. And yes, I too think Wilson has a twinkle in his eye and the look of a champ… it’s just not quite time.

This is going to be a ball control team… stifling D, pounding running game, conservative passing game with occasionally big strikes. Hold the ball for 40 minutes. 4 yards a carry. Flynn looks to me that he can be just as good as Hass running that kind of team.

29. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

Russell Wilson deserves a start with the #1’s next week.

Our pass rush, again, was non existent. Despite all the training camp praise, it looks like Bruce Irving is going to be a bust. True Irving did have one late hit, that bore no affect, on Manning. But he played a lot, yet was otherwise unnoticeable.

O.k., it was T.O.’s first game and he’s entitled to a bad game. A decision on him shouldn’t be made until the final pre-season game. Needless to say, if he plays the final two games like he did this one he deserves to get cut.

Flynn did o.k. He didn’t have much help from the O-line–considering the penalties, or his receivers. It’s difficult not to give him another start considering; still, if Carrol is true to his word, and it was an open Q.B. competition, Wilson deserves at least one start.

30. raymaines says:

BobbyK says: …but I wish their process of “gathering information” would have been more well planned so we could have potentially seen what Wilson could do with Miller and Elvis coming after him and guys like Champ Bailey covering his WRs.

I would loved to have seen RW start the game!!

crunchmeister says: I believe Pete has a plan for QB, and it seems like Wilsons role in that plan is backup QB, at least for now.

Yes, but it’s a stupid plan. Maybe PC really does have a totally superior master plan, but right now it doesn’t look like it. I’m starting to think he just doesn’t get QB’s.

31. crunchmeister says:

Pete is all about competition.

But don’t think that means everyone has equal chance. There’s a competition at every position every day. There’s a big competition at RB, and Lumpkin and the rest are in it and ‘could’ be named the starter… that’s not going to happen, but they still compete.

T-Jack has been get’s reps with 1s on off days because Pete respects him, and the team respects him. It’s a tip of the hat. It’s not about showing him to scouts or evaluating him. This is important to maintain the culture of competition, and to essentially ‘keep the team’ through this QB transition.

So this QB competion is going to net us a damn good starter, with a guy nipping at his heals… fantastic! But it’s not an even competition… never was.

32. crunchmeister says:

raymaines – I think Pete has a full on man crush on Wilson and will insert him as QB the first moment he believes he’s ready.

33. bbnate420 says:

Flynn was alright. He still didn’t have a number of receivers. 2 plays where it seemed that TO and him miscommunicated. Probably TO’s fault. That deep pass to TO was BEAUTIFUL!!!! I don’t see the haters mentioning that. TO seemed to be in shape and have the skills, but they were out of sink. Hopefully they can get that together in the next 3 weeks. RW looked very good, but he was helped by the competition. He got chunk plays on YAC. That TD he threw to Helfett was a beauty. It may be time to give him a chance versus the 1’s in game 3. It will be hard to see them both. Maybe Flynn plays 1st and 3rd, and RW 2nd and 4th. That will give RW at least the 3rd versus the 1’s. Still some intrigue. Flynn did make a beautiful deep pass. Anyone wanna give him credit???????

34. raymaines says:

Displaced says: “Despite all the training camp praise, it looks like Bruce Irving is going to be a bust.”

and….

“O.k., it was T.O.’s first game and he’s entitled to a bad game…”

Really? That would be TO’s first game in what, 12 years or something?

For all any of us know BI might prove to be a bust and TO might play until he’s 60, but this isn’t the game that proves any of it. Relax. Have a drink. Come back on Monday and say something inteligent.

35. bbnate420 says:

I have been on the record for awhile saying that RW should be the starter if they think he is anywhere close to Flynn and they see him as the QBOTF. I’m not sure that is the case yet. I will trust PC and staff. I’m just really thankful it will be Flynn or RW. Either one WILL ALMOST CERTAINLY HAVE STRUGGLES! We need to remember that. Hasselbeck sucked in 2001 and half of 2002. Plenty of people called for his head.

36. I trust Pete’s judgment also, but I don’t believe Wilson flashing his potential is due to the level of his competition. That isn’t what he showed at NC State, Wisconsin, or here in the preseason. He’s the type of cat who would step UP to the level of competition. So even though he makes some rookie mistakes, he’ll learn from them quickly, and the team will benefit sooner rather than later. It’s tempting to go conservative here, but I feel like we’re seeing enough where Wilson should get a start next week w 1’s vs 1’s so we can sort this out once and for all. If RW plays brilliantly again next week, he should be the starter. If Flynn is better, he gets it.
    PC hasn’t run this competition in an orthodox fashion anyway, so there’s no need to stick with the script here and try to play the potential starter 3 quarters in the 3rd preseason game.

37. bbnate420 says:

It’s Irvin, not Irving, and he had a few good plays. Got a pressure when he destroyed the RT. Held up against the run a few times. RELAX! The manic nature of fans on this blog gets tiresome.

38. bbnate420 says:

CCVI, you may be right about RW. I already liked the kid, and the more I see him the more I like him. We just haven’t seen apples to apples yet. The next few weeks will be interesting, if nothing else.

39. raymaines says:

And for a total change of subject:

No matter how bad the Arron Curry pick was, I’m SOOoooo glad the SeaHawks didn’t pick Mark Sanchez. The only thing worse than not having a franchise QB would be having the wrong franchise QB.

Can you imagine the weird s#it on this blog if the Seahawks were dealing with Mark Sanchez and Tim Tebow instaid of MF & RW? Thank you Lord!!

40. abqhwkfn says:

You dont see the “haters” mentioning that because the pass was in fact incomplete.. And he was 6-13 with 31 yards in a full half with a strong running game. There was also at leasr one ball that sailed threw the hands of a denver DB that could have been a pick 6. can you really say that Flynn in any way out played Wilson so far? and yes i do know Wilson is playing against backup defenders.. But he us also playing with backup lineman, recievers and rbs.. I just think based on the 2 games ive seen he deserves a shot. I dont hate Flynn. Just dobt think hes performed well enough to rule out RW

41. crunchmeister says:

no doubt raymaines… what a circus. I watched part of the starters in Giants/Jets today (for 10 or 15 minutes maybe), and both teams looks crappy. Maybe they got better, but both the Donkos and the Hawks looked better tonight.

42. Let’s not get too high or too low here guys.

Look at the whole picture. Flynn would have had somewhere around another 60 yards and a tocuhdown had TO been on the same page as him. Is this due to limited practice time or did TO just miss a couple hot reads in addition to dropping a sure TD?

On the other hand, RW has GOT to stop trying to put a soft touch on his passes and rely on the rocket attached to his right shoulder. I keep seeing him trying to “drop” passes in between defenders with touch when he could do it ala Farve with a hard, tight spiral. He doesn;t need nearly as much air as he’s putting under some of his long balls.

All that said, RW excites me as a fan, much more than Flynn. Maybe it’s because Flynn reminds me so much of Hass, and with all the change around here I almost want to see RW learn and grow this year wth the rest of the youngsters.

43. bbnate420 says:

abqhwkfn, I never said you could discount RW. I said the EXACT opposite in fact! But you still should recognize that Flynn made a beautiful pass there. The QB can’t catch the ball too. F%^&ing Brees, Rodgers, or Brady couldn’t have put that pass in a better place. Give him his due. The main reason I brought it up was that people were crowing about wanting to see him throw it deep for the last week.

44. crunchmeister says:

Skavage… ya got to go with the E-ism “Let’s slow our roll here”… love that!

45. bbnate420 says:

Drinkin spoady ody ody, wine, wine, wine.

46. bbnate420 says:

Excuse me, whine, whine, whine!

47. bbnate420 says:

I never said that RW should, “have been ruled out”, but to not credit Flynn for that TD pass that was dropped is STUPID! You COULD NOT throw it any better. He didn’t play very good though overall. He still didn’t have his top 2 receivers and top TE though. I believe that Owens ran the wrong route or made the wrong adjustment twice. I don’t know for sure. TO showed that he still has athleticism. Hopefully, they can develop some chemistry over the next 3 weeks.

48. DanielleMND says:

Flynn played better than his numbers. I think he answered any remaining questions about his arm strength with the throw that should have been a TD if T.O. hadn’t flat out dropped it. Wilson has shown enough for T-Jack to be shown the door.

49. After the showing by TO, it makes me wonder if we should drop him right away. All he is doing is taking rep’s away from the younger recr’s who may have several years of success… IMOHO, avoid the conflict with him right on… He was awful in this game, there should be no excuses…

50. Everyone who’s calling for RW to start, do you really believe a rookie would take the Seahawks further this year than Flynn? He’d be more exciting, no doubt, but I think we’d quickly put any Super Bowl dreams to rest. If the Titans could start Hasselbeck last year instead of Locker, the Seahawks can certainly start Flynn ahead of RW. The Titans’ last great QB, Steve McNair, also sat on the bench his rookie year.

One thing that’s clear: No way should RW be the No. 3 QB (as was once envisioned). He has to be No. 2 or No. 1. And that means that TJack definitely gets the boot. The Seahawks won’t be paying $4 million for a No. 3 QB.

51. On a different note altogether, I am not aware of any Hawk injuries from last night….. Is that correct?

52. RDPoulsbo says:

PC has already made up his mind at QB. It’s a done deal no matter how much people keep pumping Wilson. He has even gave the reason for it last week: reading defenses is the differences between Flynn and Wilson right now. So the vanilla defenses we’re seeing from opposing teams on TV isn’t what PC is seeing when practicing against the real thing in TC. There’s a reason why Seahawks.com turns off their cameras after 30 minutes or so of showing camp. They don’t want other teams to watch in and see what they’re actually installing for the season.

So there you have it. RDPoulbo said so, therefore it has to be real and not opinion. Lol.

54. RDPoulsbo says:

I didn’t say it, Pete Carroll said it:

“Matt’s done a really good job of commanding all of the stuff. He understands the game in great depth. And he gives us a veteran presence, even though he hasn’t had a lot of starting time because he recognizes defense. He’s well into that whole understanding on what’s going on, on the other side of the ball. And it’s a challenge for Russell to catch up to all of that stuff. He’s battling to get that done. There’s a difference right now.”

55. RDPoulsbo says:

One thing I was really impressed with last night was the way we stopped the run, and the way we ran the ball.
    Denver put up some big running yards last week against Chicago and we shut em down.
    And the three turnovers in the first half. Our D overall is so young and so good and they will only get better,imo.

57. bbnate420 says:

You might want to get ready for Flynn starting week 1, Georgia!

58. RDPoulsbo says:

Guess the blog doesn’t like me inserting links right back to the blog.

59. bbnate420 says:

I’m not 100 % sure it’s going to happen, but I think you will more likely than not be disappointed if you’re counting on RW starting week 1.

60. Flynnn played OK. Not going to judge until he has all the starting offensive weapons. Wilson looked great again but against 2nd, 3rd & 4th string players. Yes, he has the “it” factor but until he plays “lights out” against a 1st team defense I realy think all we can say is YES, the kid has the talent and the arm but can he translate that to consistent QB play when it counts durnig a regular season game under the spotlights and a crowd of 60+? I am sure he can but I say start Flynn (as he still hasn’t played with ALL of the offensive starters yet either) for the season and if he lays a giant egg in the first few games you give the ball to Wilson and never look back. Cut T-Jack as he at least deserves a chance to catch on somewhere else. The guy played hard for teh Hawks last year with an injury and went 7-7 which is about as good as he will ever be. I am fine with Flynn, Wilson and POrtis as the QB’s. I just find it hard to say Wilson is better when he hasn’t played with the 1’s yet either. Give him the 1st quarter next week and see what he is capable of and if he outplays Flynn then the debate is over. Start the rookie. In my opinion I think Flynn whould be the starter and mentor Wilson for a year and then next year after completely adjusting to the speed of the NFL he will probably be amazing. I am just apprehensive about starting a rookie at QB with such a young team. I really find value in letting them sit for a year and watch and learn. :) Either way, i now it preseason but SUCK IT Broncos. HAHAHA! hated that team since the horse face days. Raiders, 9ers, & Broncos can eat a big plie with nuts & corn….BOOYAW!

So true, imo.

A comment from an ESPN blogger-

“Manning throws 2 picks, Tebow goes 5/14. And wouldn’t you know it, ESPN makes ridiculous headlines to spin it in their favor”

62. *pile*

and one another note, How great is it that the Cardinals & Rams are pretty much going to suck this year?? All the Hawks need to do is serve it up cold blooded to the 49ers…can’t wait for Harbaugh to have that stupid arrogant smile wiped off his big dumb face…..

bbnate420- I’m ready for Flynn to start in week one. Hopefully he will show a little more in the next game or two to warrant him being the starter though.

64. bbnate420 says:

A lot will depend on how PC and staff evaluate the film. Was TO running the wrong routes or adjustments? That will make a difference. Flynn threw a beautiful deep pass that was dropped. I still have high hopes for TO. I think it would be CRAZY to give up on him before he plays the last 2 preseason games. There’s not much to lose by giving him that chance. He showed excellent athleticism. He just didn’t catch the one pass he definitely should’ve had and MIGHT have been running the wrong routes for Flynn. I don’t know the pays, so I don’t know for sure. I think once he gets acclimated, he will be a force. Time will tell. That Tate catch was sick. Too bad it was put a little too far towards the sideline. A couple of years ago, I think that’s a TD by virtue of being pushed out.

65. I completely agree with IBGoofy…time top drop TO and move on. No excuse for the dropped ball and the missed routes. I can see Flynn being a guy that frequently throws back shoulder on reads.

Next week with Baldwin, Rice and whoever, will be a real “teller” of how Flynn’s doing. Can’t wait to see how his off season workouts with Baldwin have helped with their chemistry.

BTW- Wilson is not just nipping at Flynns heals anymore,(imo), he has moved a little higher and is now in great wedgie position.

67. Interesting tidbit on the T-jack trade rumors… Sounds plausible.

Just out of curiosity, what trade scenerios do you guys see as possibilities? What do you think we need the most on our roster and who might give it to us in a T-jack trade? Maybe trade him to Denver, that kid out of ASU has too much Dan McGuire in him. But seriously I am thinking we get a 6th round conditional in 2013.

68. bbnate420 says:

Even if TO had as bad a game as it seemed, I defy anyone to name a receiver that will play significant time this year that had a good game. Kearse isn’t making this team.

I’m not even necessarily advocating Flynn week 1 at this point, Georgia. I just think there is a 75 % chance or so that will be the case. It will be VERY interesting to see the rotation next game. That should tell us a lot more. I have liked RW from the start, and he has done nothing to deter that. My only issue with him is that we haven’t been able to compare apples to apples with him and Flynn.

I was doubtful that TJack would definitely be gone at the start of TC, but it seems inevitable now. I still like him as a backup, but his time is up here. It seems that RW is ready to be the #2 if he isn’t starting.

69. NYHawkFan says:

I’m still surprised that no one is discussing the underwhelming secondary play. Yes, they’re playing heads-up ball regarding interceptions. Red tipped one that led to an interception and Manning sailed one for another easy interception. But the secondary is suppose to be one of the strongest, if not the strongest, parts of the team. Manning threw for 177 yards in the first half, with two long drives. One drive was stalled by a 15 yard holding penalty (I believe) by Denver’s center, and TO wasn’t the only receiver that had problems holding onto the ball, as Tamme dropped a sure touchdown just before halftime. Hopefully it’s just timing issues because it’s still early in the season. Defensive line is looking strong, holding Denver to under 40 yards rushing, albeit they only had 15 rushing attempts (I believe). At any rate, IMO the secondary needs to step it up, block some passes, show some swagger.

70. bbnate420 says:

To answer my own question, possibly Butler. He had some good plays.

I don’t think the FO is going to give up on Flynn at all. I keep hearing that Carroll has this big man crush on Wilson, however wasn’t he really Schnieders pick? Either way I am glad to have two good qbs at this stage and potentially one great one.

72. DreadHawks says:

I love preseason football, it’s football and it means the season is just around the corner.
    I hate preseason football, the schemmes are very vanilla on both side od the ball and it gets frustrating watching because you know these guys can do better. Just wait until we start inserting our blitz packages. I think you will really start to see some pass rush.
    Did you hear when Warren Moon asked some opposing scouts he saw at the game if they were already scoutig the Hawks and they replied No, you guys have alot of talent and you can’t keep it all. Just shows once again JS/PC know their talent!

Just throwing this out there. Would if The FO does give Wilson a chance to play with the starters next week and he continues to shine. While Flynn continues to play average or below. What then?

And to make this thing even more interesting the FO picks Wilson over Flynn to start.
    So what do they do with Flynn if we already have a capable back up in Jackson?
    And would if a qb hungry team offers a one or a two for Flynn? Do they keep Jackson as the backup to Wilson and ship Flynn for a high pick?

74. chuck_easton says:

Nothing I saw last night changed my opinion. Flynn will start the season as the #1 QB. Wilson will be the number two. How long that order lasts is entirely up to Flynn.

But isn’t it great to have two competent QBs instead of one average TJack and no real backups?

I’m not taking sides in this whole Flynn/Wilson debate. Love them both and will be happy who ever turns out to be the QB of the next decade. I just think the Seahawks feel Flynn is the better game manager right now and the rookie is going to have to sit for a little time before he’s given the keys to the family car.

NYHawkFan – I agree! This young secondary, (as good as they are), has not really played many qbs the caliber of Manning.
    Last year, ( and BobbyK has stated this many times ) they kind of lucked out playing against many crappy qbs.
    This year they will play against better qbs overall. It will be interesting to see how they do with it.

76. bbnate420 says:

I don;t think it was the DB’s. There wasn’t any pass rush really when the 1st string DE was in. I know Denver has a good o-line, but it’s getting a little concerning for me. Hard to tell since its preseason.

77. RDPoulsbo says:

I wouldn’t worry too much about the secondary. Manning has made a career of shredding secondaries. It’s vanilla base defenses in preseason which makes it even easier. I’d be more concerned about the lack of pass rush than the secondary.

78. confucious says:

I think Flynn has the poise and control to run this offense well. RW has a great arm and good field vision but defers to opputunities outside the playbook too quickly Imo. He is a diamond in the rough. My concern is the pass blocking last night. Niether Flynn or Wilson had much time for downfield routes to develop. Someone farted in the trenches cause everyone was pissed off. Giacomini was out of control and killed at least one drive. Penalties played a huge part in Flynn’s overall numbers.

79. bbnate420 says:

*Jesus, there wasn’t much pass rush while the 1st string D was in.

80. bbnate420 says:

Georgia, if they give RW a run against the 1’s next week and he plays well, I could easily see them starting him week 1. I think they should if he shows an ability to keep the mistakes to a minimum and keeps showing big play ability. We definitely have some interesting battles to watch the last 2 preseason games.

81. RDPoulsbo says:

Still haven’t heard a response about PC’s comments, not mine, about the difference between Flynn and Wilson is the ability to read defenses. Real regular season defenses going on in practice, not the vanilla base defenses in preseason. That’s the reason Flynn has been named started for the past 2 games.

82. confucious says:

I don’t know how you evaluate Flynn to critically when he was charged with targeting a T.O. who couldn’t catch the ball.

83. Did Clemons play last night? Don’t remember hearing his name, or Jones for that matter. I’m also wondering about Bruce…he still seems lost out there most of the time. We haven’t discussed Bobby either. Solid game for the D but not stellar. All this talk of swagger and it didn’t show up last night. Walk the talk guys or shut up!

Nice to see the Beast running hard and looking good. I thought Turbin played really well also and we definitely saw some depth with our RBs. Deon had a good, solid game and really helped himself in making the final 53 I hope.

I’m not going to say much about the MF and RW competition other than they are both still getting in sync with their team. I think MF was told to target TO to see what he has and it really was too bad about the TD TO missed but it happens. Thank goodness that bad throw from MF wasn’t a pick 6, it easily could have been.

Best play by RW was when he was heavily pressured and falling down and away from Tuinei and not only did he make the completion but got the first down and kept the drive alive. That was impressive. Our 2nd string TEs played well and that was good to see.

I’m still leery of McCoy but he played well last night – he needs to do that all the time if he wants to make the team. Nice play up the middle by McGrath and a really nice touch by Helfet

84. Wonder how Pete will play it next week. RW should get a run with the #1s, will he play the 2nd quarter or the 3rd with the #1s? If he plays the 2nd then they’ll bring Matt back in for the 3rd? Should be an interesting game.

85. Sparky12 says:

Our QB race, is still in place
    Did Matt fall flat?
    Or should TO have sat?

Comes game three , Friday in KC
    Do we win with Flynn?
    Or in Russ we trust?

T-Jack is gone, no more than a pawn
    One season a starter,
    Now just a Martyr

It’s now high noon, the season starts soon
    On the edge of greatness we teeter
    Pete, our team needs a leader!

86. bbnate420 says:

McCoy did play well. His issue has ALWAYS been consistency. He has a ton of talent, but he doesn’t perform 50 % of the time. Too much inconsistency.

87. Hammajamma says:

A few weeks ago I posted this question: what will people be saying after Flynn has an effective but unspectacular preseason and Wilson lights it up against scrubs?

I think Flynn is fine. I was particularly happy to see him take that bootleg past the charging DE for a first down, but it’s clear RW can do much, much more when the pocket breaks down. Both of these guys will play this year, and like most people, I want to see RW play when the screws are a little tighter.

Lynch is just, well, stunning. Even in a cameo he looks all pro.

With his matador blocking technique and Johnson playing well, the writing may be on the wall for Guy.

Unconcerned about TO just yet. PC is playing this out correctly, in my view. Force the action, see where you are, coach it up, let the chips fall.

88. Good one, Sparky!

89. My observations.

1. Flynn is better than Tjack

2. Russell Wilson is (or will be soon) better than Flynn with a much higher ceiling.

3. Flynn did throw a nice deep ball to TO that should’ve been caught, no question.

4. Flynn also missed him the other 4 times and still has not lead us to a TD (I know Owens should have had it, but how many possessions did Flynn get?).

5. Granted, and against 2nd stringers, but I saw RW convert a 3rd and 17…not bad.

6. It’d be nice to see if RW can lead our starters to a TD.

7. I still say Flynn has a noodle arm. Yes, he did throw a nice deep ball. What I want to see is a bullet rope on a string 20 yard out. He has the anticipation, but does he have the arm strength. I’m pretty sure RW does.

Flynn is definitely an upgrade from Tjack. Good command, makes adjustments at the line, anticipates well…I’d be perfectly happy if I didn’t think RW was simply out playing him.

Everything else seems to be right on course. Defense is incredible, Lynch averaging 6 yds/carry, line is strong, etc.

C’mon PC give us what we want to see and let the kid start the next game.

GO HAWKS!

90. Last week, the Seahawks updated their photo on facebook to Flynn. Now, they just updated it to Wilson. Coincidence?

91. No, it just shows that we aren’t the only ones that have no idea what is going on.

92. iHateHarbaugh says:

You guys, Flynn looked great too..? Did we watch the same game? T.O. missed that back-shoulder read that would’ve been the 1st touchdown, then dropped a perfect DOWNFIELD pass that you all wanted to see. Im the biggest RW fan their is, but Flynn looked great IMO… #12thMan

RDPoulsbo- Pete’s comments as revealing as they appear to be are not set in stone, imo.
    After all if we were to take all Pete’s comments like they were written in stone we would really be having a fair and equal qb competition with all three qbs at this point, which we are not.

I really don’t care who they start at qb if they play well. I just don’t want to see a position handed to a player that hasn’t played as well as another.
    Fortunately if Flynn does get the starting nod and falters, we have good depth behind him.
    And I don’t think Wilson will just be a bench warmer if Flynn starts. I think they will find a way to get him in the games some.

94. SandpointHawk says:

Here are some quotes from last night. Scroll down past the donkey gab and it’s a great read…

Another thing that stood out to me regarding Wilson last night was on one drive he completed three straight 3rd down conversions. Now that’s clutch for any qb much less a rookie. He’s a chain mover more than a drive staller. Impressive!
    Imagine what he may have done with the first team last night with 3 turnovers on his side.
    I just hope he gets a fair shot to play with the starters in next game.

96. chuck_easton says:

Both QBs are an improvement.

Just a little reasoning here.

If Flynn starts and doesn’t show the success the team expects they go to Wilson. No problem.

If they give the starting job to Wilson too early and they have to pull him and go to Flynn then big problem.

I’ve seen too many situations where a rookie QB is rushed into the starting job based on their draft status. I have watched far more promising QB careers cut short due to putting too much too soon on the kid than I have seen the successful rookie QB come in and have the long career.

Wilson looks like the real deal. But he’s never seen an NFL game close up at full speed with actual game planning and defensive schemes being used against him. I don’t want his confidence shattered by putting him in too early. Hell get his shot. He’s got too much potential not to.

Remember too, that he’d be going against their first D unit, in that scenario.

My hope is that Carroll names his season starter this week. That’s been my hope all along, regardless who he names. IMO, if Wilson had a genuine shot at starting, Carroll would have started him last night. But what I do think has happened, is that Jackson is now made expendable. If you’re Josh Portis, this is good news. If Seattle is unable to trade him, and I do think there will be some interest, somewhere, then I’d expect them to release him on the 27th. My predictions, anyway…

98. JMSeaTown says:

Displaced: Do you take your weekly job into every weekend too? Relax. It’s the 2nd week of preseason. It’s summertime. How many weeks did your boss give you when you were a new hire?

I look at the glass 1/2 full… TO was open a number of times, (incl. getting open deep), & Flynn put it right in his bread basket. The timing on the shorter routes takes practice, which there should be more of for Flynn.

99. And Wilson can overcome mistakes by his teammates, rather than needing his teammates to elevate him.

100. boycie99 says:

Im struggling to get to understand that last season when all our starting receivers were out and Tjack had to rely on 2nd string receivers who couldnt get open and hands of stone Obo that every dropped ball, not moving the chains and not scoring TD’s was Tjacks fault

This year where the starting D has scored more TD’s that the starting O and all of a sudden Flynn can do no wrong and its all the receivers fault. Yes TO dropped a certain TD but Flynn has shown me nothing that tells me he has what it takes to lead this team to where it wants to be.

Starting Flynn which I believe PC will do is a negative and safe move and I think PC will feel he cant take the risk to open with the rookie and so Flynn will get the nod. I fully expect that nod to last 3 games when opposing teams start game planning and shit down the only 2 throws Flynn has in his Locker.

Wilson will be starting by game 4 which is a shame as he should be starting game 1. Letting Flynn have the 1st team reps will ultimately hurt this team as he clearly doesnt have whats needed to be the QB we crave. He is a team manager at best, an average QB and one that doesnt have the qualities to lead. Wilson on the other hand has showed he might just have the spark needed to take this team to the big dance

Roll on the Russell Wilson era, roll on week 4

101. boycie99 says:

*shut….. oops

By the way, did anyone else notice how badly Manning’s passes wobbled and floated anytime he targeted someone more than 15 yards? This may be unfair with such a small sample, but he doesn’t look right to me, still.

103. I think “boycie99″ is my alter-ego. I couldn’t agree more with his comments. Seahawks fans and the Seattle media have a clear double standard when it comes to evaluating Flynn and Jackson.

Carroll is in his third year. They can easily start this thing 1-3 with the tough schedule if Carroll doesn’t get the QB situation right. Carroll can’t afford a third losing season.

I am with Duke also. He’s gotta name his starter soon and hope the passing game progresses enough the team can go 2-2 or 3-1 to start the season. The first team passing game is currently playing at a level to start 1-3. Maybe it’s lack of reps together, maybe its a lack of talent. Or maybe its both.

104. bbnate420 says:

Whine, whine, whine. Bop mau! Whine, whine, whine.

Thanks Sandpointhawk for the post game link.

RDPoulsbo- Here I think is a good example of why Carroll is sometimes hard to pin down concerning his comments.

Carroll was asked to compare
    QB Matt Flynn and QB Russell Wilson after the game.

In his comments below he didn’t even mention Flynn at all, but boy did he have some great things to say about Wilson.
    From just reading these comments it appears that Wilson has out performed Flynn in his mind.
    So who knows what’s really going on upstairs. Lol.

“The second half was so clean for us, you know, in all aspects, that Russell did some really good things again. He continues to show that he has a great sense for getting out and avoiding getting sacked and he’s made some plays when he’s done that. And he’s thrown the ball well, too, you know, so he’s doing really well. We’re ecstatic about him and to have a guy come off the bench like that and play two halves back-to-back and really play football – it’s great for our team. So, we’ll see what the film looks like and take the next step next week.”

106. My “double standard” and my hatred for Jackson is people who compare him to Hasselbeck. Matt didn’t have hardly anything for years and then people complain about him. Then Jackson got a great run game and a top 10 defense (where Matt never got this in the past half decade) and was supposedly the reason the team went 6-7 in his starts (I refuse to give him credit for the game being tied at the Giants when he went out). That’s part of the reason I hate him (in addition to sucking – if he would have been QB in any of Hasselbecks final seasons the team would have gone 4-12 the year before (instead of 7-9 and a play-off win… no way in hell Jackson outduels Brees).

107. Wilson is electrifying and shows tremendous poise. I don’t think any situation is too big for him. His mobility and arm strength are excellent.

I’m not sure about shattering his confidence by putting him in early. Doesn’t he go against a top rated defense with speed rushers and big CB’s every single day? What other team can boast about having 3 pro bowlers in the secondary and the 4th (Sherman) may just end up being the best of the group?

Look, if we hadn’t drafted Wilson the point is moot and I’d say start Flynn. But since we did, and all he does is put points on the board often in dramatic fashion (with his laser beam throws, his legs…what ever), you gotta get this guy in there asap.

As a freshman @ NC State he was all ACC and was freshman of the year leading them to big wins in his three years as a starter. Then he was drafted by the Yankees and played ball for a couple of years. He comes back to NC State, they say his job is no longer available, so all he does is transfer to Wisconsin, gets named the team captain within a few weeks of landing there, and promptly leads them to the Rose Bowl where he barely lost.

This kid is a flat out winner and it’s as plain as day. Maybe we’re not used to seeing such brilliance at that position at such an early stage of his career, but so far it just seems to me that the kid is unfazed, undaunted.

PC loves him. Schneider loves him. Maybe it’s all just politics as to why everything has worked out the way it has, but a good week of practice and a start will go a long ways for his confidence and the team’s confidence as well.

Start him this weekend…we won’t regret it!

GO HAWKS!!

So BobbyK are you admitting that Jackson is comparable to Flynn?

If Wilson gets the job, would you be ok if Jackson was the backup and we shop Flynn for a high pick? I would. Provided he takes a pay cut.

109. The Seahawks had a great run game last year but those WRs as a group were terrible once Rice went out and 3/5 of the OL were missing. And Jackson really had it that much better than Hasselbeck? A run game only takes a team so far in the modern NFL. This isn’t 2005.

The Seahawks had a healthy OL last night, a great running game but WRs who just couldn’t get it done. At least Owens was getting open for big play potential. Players like Butler, Tate, etc couldn’t even say that.

I hope that either Flynn or Wilson don’t get a taste of that Tate, Obomanu and Butler trio this year. Those 3 can lower the performance of any QB.

110. I love it! Passionate ‘Hawks fans–though some seem slightly high on the reactionary spectrum. :)

I really liked what RW and MF did. Between Felix’s perfect game (yeah, I’m still excited!) and the fact that we have two good looking QB’s. Getting a little teary-eyed…

MF and RW look like such different QB’s, but they both have that “it” factor, at least to my eyes. I’m not trying to annoint anyone the next Breese, but it’s SO nice going into a season with talent and depth (and talented depth!).

111. In my head, I give Flynn credit for that TD to Owens which changes his numbers to:
    5/9, 63 yards, 1 TD/0 Int, 1 Sack for a 114 QB Rating and 7.0 YPA

And even with that TD, Flynn didn’t hit any of the goals I wanted to see to get the idea he’s any better than average:

1). Complete passes outside of his 2 staples – the deep log and the short dump/slant/shallow cross
    2). 8 YPA. Even with a huge 46 yard completion included, he still was 1 full yard short.
    3). Shake off mistakes of his teammates. He had the perfect opportunity with the Owens drop but he ended that drive with a near INT.
    4). Lead the team to 10 points. This one was close when counting the Owens TD, but given the great Field position and good running game, they should have scored more.

pabuwal – One thing you and i can agree on is that this WR unit is perilously close to one of the most inept in franchise history. That may sound like hyperbole, but by any objective measure, it’s the weakest group on the team.

joreb- I agree totally. We aren’t used to seeing many rookies with this much poise and talent together. I think he will do fine, and we have a good Defense and running game to help him along.

In fact I have never seen any Seahawk qbs from the beginning that had the promise that Wilson has.

I thought Zorn had it, however I was young and dumb.

I thought Krieg had it but he fumbled it away.

I thought Hasselbeck had it but he had his weaknesses to.

What do they have to lose?

114. It’s not fair to compare Jackson missing a guy like Rice to Hasselbeck because Hasselbeck NEVER had a WR as good as Rice in the first place. Hasselbeck threw to about the same group of “talented” clowns that Jackson had to throw to but, somehow, it was “poor Jackson” all the time, which really made me irate.

Georgia – No Way! Flynn is infinity times better than Jackson, IMO (especially after he’s had about 32 more NFL starts – like Jackson has gotten).

Dukeshire- I agree with you about the WRs. All the more reason we need a qb that can do it with his legs also, imo.
    Maybe once Baldwin get’s back, and Rice gets back things will start changing for the good in regards to the WRs. Hope so anyways.

116. Duke – I like that Owens has his athleticism, had Bailey briefly beat for the third down pass and did get open deep. I think the hand-eye coordination (which is why I think he dropped that TD) will come back soon enough. With that assumption, a healthy Rice, Baldwin and Edwards this unit can be great.

However, I am making a lot of assumptions and the group they fielded last night was pretty weak, to put it nicely. And if none of my assumptions come around, then I would agree with Duke’s statement. But it wasn’t a whole lot different then what they fielded in the last half of last year either.

BobbyK- But if Wilson does end up being the starter at some point this year do you think Flynn will except a bench roll again? I think we have two starting qbs this year. It’s going to be hard to keep them both for long,imo.

I could very well turn out that Jackson does stay with this team as a backup.

118. Maybe I’m naive, but I still really like Rice-Tate-Baldwin. Those other guys aren’t going to play much anyways, so I don’t care about them as much (but, yes, depth would be nice to have especially with Rice and his “health” history).

“It”

120. He’ll have no choice to accept it. Except he’ll probably look at defenses and help Wilson on the sidelines, instead of his mind and body being in la-la land.

121. Hammajamma says:

Duke–

I don’t think we’ve seen the complete package at WR yet. But that Butler looks like our most reliable receiver after two practice games is a concern. I had hoped we’d see Tate step forward as a “go to” guy with Rice and Baldwin sidelined. Looks like they are keeping his bubble screen in the book until later.

Nice to see Irvin finally touch the QB. Need more cowbell from him.

la-la land. Lol.

123. boycie99 says:

I think everyone agrees TJack isnt the answer… His awareness and reactions are just not good enough and his command in the red zone and leading a team down the field for a game winning score just isnt there.

My concern is I see TJack and Flynn at the same level. Flynn doesnt excite me, doesnt show he has full control of the team and the situation and is very limited in his ability, as Pabs pointed out, he really only has 2 staple passes.

So putting Flynn as starter to me just doesnt upgrade us

124. grizindabox24 says:

My question, do you think that RW will look as good against first team defenses that actually put in specific gameplan for him?

125. Edwards dd nothing last night – I was hoping for something after last week

126. I think BE only had one pass thrown to him and it was way over his head in the endzone. He couldn’t show us anything because he wasn’t targeted.

Butler helped move the chains twice when he was in. Considering he is on the bubble that at least tells me that if he is going to be considered our least capable WR then the other 5 guys in front of him better get a move on.

127. HeinieHunter says:

Why are people saying that Wilson only looks good in the second half of games because he is playing against scrubs and yet they want Flynn to get all the reps in the third pre season game after he had the first half in the first two games. I am not saying Wilson is the best of the two, but I am saying that is isn’t much of a competition unless he gets to actually compete with and against the best players.
    I am thinking he is the number two QB but shouldn’t we see If he is up to the starters task, as that will be his job if something happens to Flynn? None of us really know if his “mop-up time” proves anything one way or another. He shows flashes greatness but so did Flynn last year.
    We have to pick the best guy if we expect to make the playoffs this year. Is Wilson ready or not? If Wilson does not play well against the starters in the third game and Flynn lights up the second half we have our answer for this year.

128. NYHawkFan says:

Based on TO’s performance, the first few games could be rough for our receiving corps. Why? TO’s poor showing was attributed to him being out last year, thus his timing and route running was off. His poor performance shows that it takes time to develop a rapport with a QB. All of the reports indicated that TO was doing well in practice, but that didn’t translate well at game time. Well, doesn’t the same apply to Baldwin and Rice? Yes, they’re more familiar with the Seahawks system, but they still haven’t had time to develop a rapport with Flynn or Baldwin. They need more than practice time with the QB, they need game time with the QB. Hence my concern about holding them out until the season starts. Putting in rusty receivers could be costly, leading to three and outs at best, and interceptions at worst. Hope I’m wrong.

129. NYHawkFan says:

I failed to mention, of course, our running game. We may have to depend on that more than we’d like during the early part of the season while the passing game is getting up to speed.

Of those here that are clamoring for Wilson to start over Flynn, based on their comparative stats, I wonder how many would make the same case for Cousins to start over Griffin III, in Washington? After all, Cousins is 27-45 for 338 vs 9-14 for 119 for Griffin. I mean, all we need are the numbers to make an informed decision, right…?