Carroll: Flynn will start vs. Broncos

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 14, 2012 at 2:11 pm with 101 Comments »
August 14, 2012 2:52 pm

Tarvaris Jackson will have to savor his reps with the first unit on Tuesday practices – because it looks like those are the only meaningful ones he will receive in Pete Carroll’s staged three-man quarterback competition.

For a second straight Tuesday Jackson took reps with the first unit. But afterwards, Carroll told reporters that he’ll stay with the same rotation he went with last week against Tennessee, with Matt Flynn starting against Denver and Russell Wilson working with the reserves.

“We’re going to start Matt and kind of keep the same format in this game as well as we did last week,” Carroll said. “We thought that we gained a lot of information. We thought that we need to see it come back again. So we’re going to bank on the experience that T-Jack has, that he can hold off, and push Matt and Russell out there and see how they do again.”

Jackson did not play against Tennessee, and Carroll said there’s no guarantee he’ll play against Denver this week.

So is Jackson’s time in Seattle coming to a close?

Carroll says no – for now.

“He’s still in the competition,” Carroll said. “He absolutely is. This is the way I’ve just chosen to do it, that I’m banking on the 18 games I’ve seen him. He knows the offense. He knows what’s going on. And I watched him play last year on practicing one day a week for five weeks, and he could function. So I’m using all that information to allow us the opportunity to see these other guys.”

Carroll went on to say that this was the plan all along going into training camp, and that the coaching staff has not veered from the plan.

Carroll was asked how Jackson is dealing with the unconventional way he is handling the quarterback competition.

“He’s holding well,” Carroll said. “I think this is very difficult for him, and I admire the heck out of this guy. This isn’t the way he would like to battle for his job. These guys are battling to show what they know and where they are, and then we have to assess if they can catch up with him. And that’s what’s going on.”

Asked if Jackson has expressed a desire to seek an opportunity elsewhere, Carroll said the team hasn’t talked about that at all.

For what it’s worth, Jackson struggled in practice today, with the ball twice slipping out of his hands on attempted throws, a fumbled snap and two interceptions. I wouldn’t exactly call that holding up well under the trying circumstances he’s facing.

Carroll said the team considered starting Wilson against Denver after his impressive performance last week, but ultimately decided against it.

“I think this is the right way to do it,” Carroll said. “I think this is where they sit right now. This kind of what I thought would happen. I did consider that as one of the possibilities. And it was going to be based on making the progress that we’re making. And

“Matt’s done a really good job of commanding all of the stuff. He understands the game in great depth. And he gives us a veteran presence, even though he hasn’t had a lot of starting time because he recognizes defense. He’s well into that whole understanding on what’s going on, on the other side of the ball. And it’s a challenge for Russell to catch up to all of that stuff. He’s battling to get that done. There’s a difference right now.”

Carroll said that the team will not begin preparation for Denver until tomorrow, so today was kind of time to look at different rotations on both sides of the ball. We really saw a mix of different players rotating with the first and second groups.

One player who stood out today was cornerback Phillip Adams. He had two interceptions at practice, and is working as the No. 3 corner on the outside behind Brandon Browner.

“He’s been a very active player out here,” Carroll said about Adams. “And we want to give him a chance to show where he can go.”

Rice takes off red jersey
For the second time in training camp, receiver Sidney Rice did not wear a red jersey and fully participated in contact drills during team period.

Rice had been limited in training camp as he recovers from surgery on both shoulders this offseason.

However, Carroll said that Rice will not play against Denver on Saturday.

“No, this is his first week back getting banged around,” Carroll said. “So we’ll give him some time and see how it goes.”

T.O. show
Terrell Owens made a couple plays today, but also dropped an easy catch on a go-route from Tarvaris Jackson against Brandon Browner.

Carroll said he would like to see Owens take the field for the first time on Satuday, but does not know if the veteran receiver will play.

“I want to see how he responds to the week,” Carroll said. “He looked very good today. He had a little something that was bothering him at the end of last week that I think is just from the load of work. And we need to see if he can make it through the week.”

Injury update
Carroll said that offensive guard John Moffitt had surgery to remove loose bodies in his left elbow, and that the team still is anticipating a two to three-week timetable to get the University of Wisconsin product back on the field. Also, with Lemuel Jeanpierre suffering a groin pull today, the Seahawks are thin at center. Rishaw Johnson had to move to center to work with the second unit.

Tight end Zach Miller did not practice today after suffering his fourth concussion in over two years against Tennessee last week. Carroll said Miller has been diagnosed with a slight concussion and that he looks clear, but the team still has to go through it’s regular concussion procedures.

Defensive end Cordaro Law suffered a second-degree, high-ankle sprain and will be out for an extended period of time.

Others who returned to practice today include linebacker Barrett Ruud (knee), receiver Doug Baldwin (hamstring), receiver Ricardo Lockette (hamstring), linebacker Allen Bradford (hip) and defensive tackle Alan Branch (ankle).

Michael Robinson (unknown) did not practice today, along with Jeron Johnson (unknown) and Pierre Allen (unknown), but all three of those players are expected back by the end of the week. Others who did not practice today include linebacker Matt McCoy (knee), cornerback Ron Parker (unknown) and linebacker Malcolm Smith (unknown). Cornerback Walter Thurmond (leg) and offensive lineman James Carpenter (knee) remain on the PUP list.

Happy to see players getting healthy. Especially Rice and Baldwin. Let’s see how that changes the dynamic in the passing game.

Not surprising Jackson struggled a bit today. His confidence has got to be shaken. And if both Wilson and Flynn play well Saturday night, despite what Carroll says, his time in Seattle may be coming to a close. We’ll see though, long way to go still…

“And it’s a challenge for Russell to catch u to all of that stuff. He’s battling to get that done. There’s a difference right now.”

Sounds like Carroll is leaning toward Flynn at this stage.

3. bbnate420 says:

mocarob, you can watch the game for free at thefirstrow.eu, or just google first row sports. Doesn’t have HD, I believe, but it’s decent quality. Explorer doesn’t work well for it. You need to use firefox or safari.

4. bbnate420 says:

mocarob, just google first row sports. You can watch the games for free there.

5. chuck_easton says:

Georgia,

That is how I’ve been reading things for some time. Don’t get me wrong. It’s clear the team LOVES Wilson and they think they got a steal in the 3rd round of the draft. Wilson just hasn’t shown he knows enough about reading NFL defenses to make the right adjustments on a consistant basis. YET.

I still say it’s Flynn’s job to lose. Wilson is now pushing to show he can be a reliable #2. If he shows that over the next couple of weeks then Jackson is most likely gone either by trade or release.

6. bbnate420 says:

It won’t let me post the web address for some reason. Not in HD, I believe, but decent quality. You need to use safari or firefox instead of explorer.

7. bbnate420 says:

It’s thefirstrowdoteu

8. bbnate420 says:

. instead of dot, obviously.

This is going to be a big test for Flynn going into Denver. I hope he get’s some weapons back.

10. Got one last practice in today and would like to share some observations. Unfortunately I was only able to attend the second half of practice due to a “bus shortage”.

First thing I noticed was that TJack was standing in with the first team. Which is confusing if you fully believe that the QB competition is between Flynn and Wilson. I was able to view 7vs7  - 2 minute drill, 11vs11 red zone, and 11 vs 11 starting at approx. 40 yard line.

Here is what I saw from the 11vs11 starting a the 40 -

TJack drive 1 – against the first team D. First snap, Tavaris cocked back to throw and fumbled about 5 yards behind him in a moment of frustration TJack booted the ball away after the play was called dead, 2 feet  in front of Carroll who stared at Tavaris with his hands on his hips and didn’t appear to say anything. The next pass was batted at the line of scrimmage. The rest was mostly quick accurate outlet passes with a few power runs up the gut to get to within 5 yards where the drive stalled.

TJack drive 2 against the first team D – Started out with another batted ball at the line but Tavaris was more in control with some passing up the middle. More power runs. Highlight was a zipped pass to Baldwin in the seam. To gain the most yards. Drive ended with a pass intercepted by chancellor.

Matt Flynn – Drive 1 – against the second team D – 3 pass plays and a Touchdown. 2 of the 3 passes saw Butler cutting up through the slot with good zip and accuracy from Flynn

Matt Flynn – Drive 2 – against the 2nd team D – 2 pass plays and an interception. First pass play 25-30 yards to TO at Flanker good throw, good lead, good catch….slightly out of bounds. Flynn then attacks the split end and targets Braylon Edwards on the same fly 25-30 yards. Fairly Underthrown and actually looked shockingly similar to Wilson’s throw during the game. This time the corner won out and I believe Phillip Adams  ends Flynn’s second drive. (Side note Flynn makes a point to seek out Adams and congratulate him)

Russel Wilson drive 1 – 3rd team defense. Scramble up the right, should have been sack by Irvin rushing from the strong side. Wilsons drives were another mixed bag of runs vs throwing. Drive ends with a run up the middle TD via Lumpkin.

Russel Wilson drive 2 – 3rd Team defense begins with another sack this time saw Korey Toomer coming of the strong side again Russel would have been absolutely decimated  as he came through unblocked with Morrah on a route instead of blocking. Flynn then made some good use of Cooper Herfelt in the middle with some more running. Drive ends with a run by Tyrell Sutton? #30 up the gut again.

QB Competition other notes -

Flynn by far got the most reps in the Redzone and came away the most success.

Wilson struggled with his accuracy and placement during 7vs7 2 minute drive. He still throws on the run so fluidly and accurately.

Tavaris looked solid on his 7vs7 2 minute drive only to end on downs. Tavaris couldn’t seem to find the end zone today but had a lot of impressive throws right up the seam to put his drives knocking on the door of the end zone that should now be a shoe in for our run game.

This is just me but when Flynn lined up today everything just seemed so crisp and in control. The ball was always moving and there is just a rhythm there that you don’t feel with the other 2. Tavaris has it at times but really just struggles throwing in the Redzone and Russel is always so chaotic that I feel like anything can happen, which is exciting but I’m always on the edge of my seat.

More tidbits to come….

11. I think vai Tua actually is 30….

12. Hawksince77 says:

Georgia,

It’s always been about how PC sees the competition, and I would agree with your assessment: he fairly clearly stated that Flynn was ahead of Wilson at this time. That being the case, I don’t see how Wilson catches up by playing in the second half of games, meaning that Flynn would definitely be the likely starter (or maybe TJack – PC couldn’t say enough good things about him).

So I am preparing myself for the shock.

I posted this on the last thread by mistake. Lol.

Chuck- I was follwing this qb Competition with the premise that this would an equal competition. I had a hunch that this could have been predetermined to begin with, however now that Carroll has shown his hand I am fine with Flynn starting.
    We are going to need both qbs down the road anyways. This is just so much better then last year when we had little hope.

14. Okay when I listened to Pete talk on KJR – for the first part of the interview I was totally feeling that he was going with Jackson – but he was giving these guys a chance to go take it.

Then the 2nd part of the interview I totally got the feeling that it is between Flynn (leader) and Jackson and Wilson was still getting the hang of things.

This guy is sooo all over the place I don’t know how anyone can follow what he is saying

Good stuff again HawksKD!

Don’t disappear now like you seem to do after the preseason is over.

16. Other Tidbits –

Irvin flashed a little more today than others. To be honest I haven’t been incredibly impressed with him just yet. Good to see him finding some ground.

Finally saw Okung beat by Clemons with a fancy stab to the outside and power up the gap to make a run at the QB….let me finish.. Okung proceeded to maul clemons as he attempted to pass in between and obliterated him into the play action that was passing through. Goodness…

Baldwin was limited today but has shown to be the difference maker. Every time I saw him working the slot he was the primary target to whoever was throwing him the ball. They seem to be looking to him any time he’s on the field.

Again I have yet to see Michael Robinson at any single practice….. Lil help here Eric?

Braylon Edwards had a fantastic day working against the first and second D.

Dexter Davis looked explosive in drills.

Deon Butler looks comfortable in the slot

Roy Lewis looks a step slow at safety but I guess that’s a hard comparison with Thomas. He always seems to line up a little too deep.

Ben Obomanu throws like a girl

Josh Portis STILL throws a pretty ball, but throws it to no one but trainers. Poor guy

Browner and Rice were working after practice with some light press

Pete still gets excited for touchdowns even during practice

17. banosser says:

Flynn’s job to lose.. If he shows himself well again this week.. he’ll start game 3 also.. Give him the reps with the #1s

18. It is Flynn’s job to lose. He does average or better in the Denver game it is done. Going into 3rd preason game you have to start to prepare the starter to get as many reps with the first unit. I can see Wilson being #2 QB. TJ time is done here in my opinion.

xcman- It’s called adhd, or mosquito on speed.

20. Ha ha thanks Georgia I’ll try to stick around this season. I usually lurk during the season when people start posting belligerently.. I have a feeling this will be a good season though.

21. “I think this is where they sit right now. This kind of what I thought would happen.” Mr. Happy

For me, I think that picking between Matt Flynn and Russell Wilson right now is like picking goodQBnow vs. goodQBsoon. From all I have read, watched, and heard – I think Matt Flynn has something that most people don’t measure and that’s the heart/guts or intangibles. That’s not saying I don’t believe in Wilson, as I believe he has “it” too. Still, there’s something about Flynn that I believe in. Either way, I’m happy with either Flynn or Wilson starting.

All I hope is that whoever Mr. Happy chooses, I hope we don’t have people rooting against him out of spite (except for the obvious one on here that will). I’m probably the worst person to say this because I have never hated too many players as bad as I have hated Jackson (the QB, not the person) in my life. But I’d like to see us all get behind whoever starts and not clamor for the back-up as soon as the first bad pass is thrown (and we all know that every QB in the history of the world has made a bad pass).

22. RT @JasonLaCanfora: Barring a Seattle QB getting hurt this week, look for Tarvaris Jackson to be shopped. Also wouldn’t rule out Cards adding a QB before season

Oh HawksKD, I know this sounds redundant but did you see anything from rookie Bates at wr that makes you think he could make the practice squad?

24. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

I’m somewhat disappointed that Carrol is going to go with the same QB rotation for the second preseason game. It seems like everyone acknowledges that Wilson is the most talented QB we have on our roster, so why not see how he plays against #1 defenses? Oh well, it’s only the second preseason game; hopefully Wilson will get a shot to play against a #1 defense before the preseason is over.

I like Flynn, I really do, but I didn’t like that he didn’t have any intermediate to long pass attempts in the last game. Our offense needs to show big play ability, not only to keep defenses honest, but to prove that the offense can catch up it’s down a t.d., or two. Hopefully Flynn will dispel my skepticism with a few long pass attempts against Denver.

Does anyone know if Carrol going to rest Lynch for the entire preseason?

Agreed Bobbyk!

I love what Wilson brings, however I am totally in for Flynn!
    Unless of course he sucks in Denver. Just kidding.

26. MattandCindy says:

I think we need an answer to HawksKDs’ question…

Where the hell is Michael Robinson? Haven’t seen him at any practices, but I’ve seen a couple Real Rob reports. Does ANYONE know what’s the haps on the peeps?

27. I usually lurk during the season when people start posting belligerently..

That was me after the Browns game last year. I was the most furious I’ve ever been watching a game.. Wanted to throw my TV out the window!!

28. Palerydr says:

I can agree with you there Mocarob what a horrible game that was.

29. Hammajamma says:

Can’t believe they’d trade TJ within the division unless, of course, it’s sabotage!

30. Sounds like Tampa Bay is taking a hard look at Demps. I think we have Tate to use if (God forbid) Washington went down.

MattandCindy M Rob played great in limited action on Saturday

32. Bbnate – Couldn’t get thefirstrowdotcom with a . to work with Safari.

Sure hope Flynn can put up a better passer rating in Denver. 3 points in a whole half against 1 and 2′s won’t get it done. I know, I know, vanilla offense blah blah blah. Other 1st stringers around the league put up scores against good D’s with vanilla O’s in a lot less than a half…
    I don’t want to hear cover 2 excuses either.

33. HonHawksLSB says:

Jason LaCafora is reporting that Tarvaris could be on the trade block in less than two weeks. If that is the case I’m wondering why Pete doesn’t give him a series or two in this next game and let Flynn play into the 3rd quarter in preseason game #3? We might be able to get a 6th or 7th rounder from Green Bay or maybe even Philly. Thoughts?

34. Hammajamma says:

For me the storyline in Denver is going to be at the line of scrimmage. Can they keep Von Miller away from Flynn and can he step up and away from pressure? Hate seeing QB’s walking into sacks and crumpling like a rag doll when touched.

It’s going to be hard to get to Manning in the first quarter when they are not playing catch up, so I don’t expect to see anything delicious like Peyton going down in a heap. But I still want to see some inside pressure and Irvin to at least get around his man once or twice.

35. Guys, Michael Robinson was at practice today. He just did not suit up. Should be ready for Denver this week.

HonHawksLSB – There’s enough tape on Tavaris for any team interested to know what they are getting. Flynn and Wilson need all the reps they can get, IMO.

Mabey we could recoup the 3rd round pick that we lost for whitehurst if we trade Jackson. If we throw in Tate and Robinson we might get a 6 or 7 too.

38. ChrisHolmes says:

Nice notes @HawksKD. Thanks for that. Especially that final bit about the tempo when Flynn is in.

I love what Carroll said about Flynn’s ability to read a defense. That’s been one of my major complaints about TJack. Flynn is a smart QB…

Will be interesting to see how the game shakes out.

39. With the odds appearing to be in Flynn’s favor to be our starter, I’m glad he’s starting in Denver… with the preseason number of players in that locker room area, I’ll bet it gets pretty bizarre… Still, we’re on the road and that’s a different scenario… another area to establish a comfort zone in… Hopefully we get to see a touch more of our #1 OL in this matchup….

40. Hawksince77 says:

Bobby,

I have been one of the most vocal supporters of Wilson, and until today, truly believed he would be the starting QB.

HOWEVER – while I admit to not understanding why things are turning out like this, I have always felt that PC would select the best player for the position, and if that is Flynn, by the very fact that PC made him the number 1, convinces me that Flynn is the best QB for the Seahawks to begin 2012. I believe PC when he says it was an open competition, and I believe him when he says Flynn (or TJack or Wilson) is the right guy to start.

PC knows a gazillion times more football than I do, and I would never put my judgment against his, nor root against any player that he decided was best suited for a position. He (and JS) have built an awesome team, and it’s going to be a good season.

41. @raymaines, It says I don’t have permission to view the page..

Same here raymaines.

43. Georgia in regards to Bates –

To be completely honest I would put him behind Charly Martin and on equal footing of Jermaine Kearse. I don’t think Martin is elgible for PS. He hasn’t stood out in particular. If I were to choose one of rookie wideouts for PS I would say lavasier tunei, good hands, crisp routes, tall frame needs to work on shedding press coverage better.

Mocarob – I MYSELF almost belligerently posted after TE Cleveland game LOL. Maybe I lurk to prevent myself from doing that …..

44. Eric thanks for the update on Michael Robinson…
    I was wondering if that was who I saw tossing the rock in just an underarmour shirt..Maybe that was him

45. I want to know – What are the odds that Sweezy is a #2 at RG or maybe even start if Moffit doesn’t recover as quickly as they think?

46. Seahawks2620 says:

Please guys, let’s give Flynn some time. With the way some people are picking apart flynns performance, you would think that we signed joe Montana over the off season. Flynn was not signed to elite money, and he hasn’t proven to be an elite talent either. So let’s please stop with the relentless criticism. The guy offers a lot more than t jack does in regards to football smarts. Wilson absolutely has more tools to work with, but doesn’t have the “experience” of being in the league that Flynn does. Flynn has been able to sit under a great quarterback for four years. Let’s give him the benefit of the doubt. I know it is easy to fall in love with Wilson’s mobility and big arm, but the guy is only a rookie. Flynn still has plenty of time to prove himself, and should be allotted the leniency of the fans to do so. We will have our QB soon enough, regardless of who it turns out to be.

47. bbnate420 says:

jusjamn, it’s .eu, not .com. It’s a European site.

BobbyK, first pick Flynn throws, I’m calling for Clipboard Jesus. Woo hoo!!!! ;-)

48. bbnate420 says:

Does RW have any nicknames. If not, I’ll throw Pocket Dynamite out there.

49. Looks like a “scooter” to me.

50. RDPoulsbo says:

I wouldn’t care if T-Jax were Stan Gelbaugh. I wouldn’t trade him to the Cards no way no how. Let their FO hang for their Kolb/Skelton decision. No matter how remote the chance, the Hawks should not be giving them an out for their QB predicament. If anything, he knows the playbook and offensive tendencies better than anyone else. Don’t give Arizona a scout QB to use against us. Miami and Jacksonville might be better options if they’re looking for a trading partner.

51. I’d trade T-Jack for a 7th round pick in the 3928 draft if that’s what it took to get rid of him. And even better, we’d get to play him (in AZ) twice a year!

52. Seahawks2620 says:

I know the nay sayers will say ” ah, he will be injured before game one of the season”, but seeing footage of rice in a white jersey today sure does have me excited!

53. Yeah. I’m so jacked to see Rice, Tate, and Baldwin running around this year!

Thanks HawksKD- I was hopeing Bates would separate into a debate with Dukeshire and bbnate as to what would be his final fate. That would have been great! Especially if he beats out Tate. So now we wait to see his fate.

Thanks HawksKD.

55. bbnate420 says:

Georgia, what little I have seen from Bates I have liked. He has good size anyways. I definitely think he’s a possibility for the PS. Don’t see him making the 53.

bbnate420- Thanks Nate. I’m just going on feeling here, however wasn’t Bates a qb in College? I think he has good upside and can only get better.
    Good speed and size.Imo.

He was but he also returned kicks.

58. WiscCory says:

You guys (and Jason La) talking about trading TJax in the next 2 weeks are crazy, IMO. Who in their right mind would trade a draft pick for him? If Tjax is on the trading block, that means he’ll be available for “free” after final cuts. Why wouldn’t a team just wait for final cuts? Do we really think there will be a big market, or bidding war? C’mon guys.

On a more serious issue, I’m really concerned about the TE position. Yes, it can be a position of strength with a healthy Miller and Winslow. But, that damn concussion syndrome!! It’s going to haunt the hawks with Miller (and Rice). I just know it. And then when Winslow misses a couple games with the knee, what’s left? Anthony McDrop. I hope I’m wrong, but I really worry about Miller (and Rice) getting their brains bruised, and having to go on IR.

59. I agree with RD.. Why in the world would we want to to trade inter-division rivals and give them someone who knows our entire offense in and out. Let the cards flame out with their QB “competition”.

As far as Jason LaCanfora goes, other than speculation what exactly is he basing his statement on? In any way TJack only holds value with the Seahawks. What does anyone expect we could get in return?

I just listened to the interview with Pete and his plans to remain with the same rotation. I’m puzzled as to why he wasted today’s practice. Flynn needs every single rep he can get with our first offense and against our first defense… The QB competition has already stunted the growth of WHOEVER it is that starts for our team… The time to make a decision is now Pete… And from the sounds of it looks like he already did.

Call me crazy but if Flynn got us to the playoffs and got injured I would still be more comfortable with TJack executing a gameplan for one game rather than Wilson.

Wilson is what he is, raw budding potential that has a chance to be our QBOTF. I understand more and more rookie QBs are coming NFL ready but starting a rookie out there before he is ready can STILL be detrimental to their growth. Is our line solid enough in pass protection to where we won’t turn this kid into a gun shy, scramble for your life, run out of bounds Seneca? Do we have enough consistant weapons around him to where he can build a repore and timing with his receivers or are we going to have a turnstile of bodies coming through? I’m sorry but the only Reciever I see our next QB growing with is Baldwin, maybe Golden if he can translate practice performance into gameday production. How long will kellen Winslow be here? Is this a concussion pattern with Miller? Need I say more about Sidney rice? Bottom line is do you want RW to learn the NFL QB game in this environment or do you want him to learn it in a more controlled setting by going through his reads and progressions on film. Dissecting NFL defenses an nuances in the film room and with guidance rather than on the fly. Something that Matt Flynn had a chance to already do in his few years at Greenbay. Matt Flynn has essentially reached his learning potential. Let’s afford that same chance to Wilson. We already know he has the physical tools to play, we already know he has the discipline, work ethic and drive to be something great. A raw Russel Wilson is dangerous and exciting. Let’s see what a learned and developed Russel Wilson is capable of.

60. raymaines says:

Cory, Cory, Cory…..

This is a time of unbridled optimism. Quit that downer stuff. Nothing but good things ahead. No concussions, no missed games, no drops. No reality, no bad juju.

61. iHateHarbaugh says:

Maybe they don’t wanna play Tarvaris because it will HURT his trade value..? Today was awful, I even heard Winslow say to Butler & Obomanu: “Who the F*** was THAT to?!” I feel bad for the guy, he’s a tough sonofagun, but it’s gotta be Flynn, & I was the biggest RW supporter b4 the draft. #12thMan

62. bird_spit says:

I hope we can swap the now unproductive QB for a productive TE prospect…that will be a good trade in the first cuts.

63. bbnate, Wilson’s twitter handle is DangeRuss. I like mighty mouse too. Maybe danger mouse?

64. WiscCory says:

You’re right ray. I should stop worrying and just enjoy this team.

This D is going to be AWESOME. INSANE. CRAZY GOOD.

65. bird_spit says:

I’d defer to Marshawn for nicknames, but I bet Marshawn just calls him “rookie”.

66. Why don’t they just give Rice & Miller one of those foam covered helmets Don Bebee used to wear?

67. We already have TO & Braylon.. Why don’t we go after Ocho Cinqo next??

68. BTW, The last two posts / Sarcasm..

69. Actually- from what I understand – there are a number of different concussion helmets out there but the players don’t like them.

Would be interesting if the NFL just mandated them after a concussion or 2. If in fact, they did lower the rate of concussions

70. Hammajamma says:

If I’m PC I keep all three of them and send Portis off to try his fortune elsewhere. It the QB for crissake. Keep your best players.

71. bbnate420 says:

I’m not so sure about these supposed concussion helmets. They may marginally better? Most concussions come from the brain impacting the insides of the skull. This is due to deceleration or the head being violently send off in some direction. Limiting hits to the head may limit this some. The deceleration is analogous to the brain damage that many people suffer during high speed car accidents. If you get in an accident at about 30 mph or so, the instant deceleration will send you brain reverberating around your skull. Sadly, the NFL may become a shell of it’s former self in 30-40 years as we learn more and more about trauma-enduced encephalopathy. Moms stopping their kids from starting playing organized football would eventually snuff the game out. On the other hand, by that time medical science may have advanced to the point to where brain damage can be repaired?

On a more positive note, I like both DangeRuss and Danger Mouse.

72. raymaines says:

You don’t keep TJ at 4M per. I’m thinking he refuses a pay cut and is cut.

CP is grateful for a job and is happy to be inactive for the next 16 weeks.

MF is the starting QB for 2 years but when his contract is up he’s let go.

RW is the starting QB for the next 10 years and leads the ‘Hawks to three SuperBowl wins.

TJ teaches history and coaches football at Cleveland High School after a 10 year NFL career.

CP retires rich, healthy, happy and with good memories.

MF retires after a 10 year journeyman career rich, but with a bad back, bum knees, and he can’t remember much of what happened.

RW is in the Ring Of Honor and HOF.

73. bbnate420 says:

mocarob, did you get that website? Also, I used to think that they wouldn’t keep both TO and Braylon, but now I’m not so sure. Braylon has picked it up since TO got here. He’s only 29 and he’s had a number of very productive years, years that would’ve led our team in receiving in 2011. I think he was injured and wasn’t a good fit in SF. The main issue I have with him is that he doesn’t have the best hands. It could just be a concentration issue. He seems to have had more drops when he was unhappy in Cleveland. Who knows? I think they keep both for sure if Rice isn’t ready at the beginning of the year, although with Rice now participating in contract drills now that seems less likely. Knock on wood!!! If they keep both, then I think it’s a lock that Obo makes the team as well. They will need him for ST if they have Rice, TO, Edwards, Tate, and Baldwin. That means they have to try and stash both Durham and Lockette on the PS, unless they keep 7. I’m not totally sure if they are eligible? You aren’t eligible if you have an accrued season with the same team that wants to place you on the PS. You earn an accrued season if you are at full pay status for 6 or more games. Does full pay status mean on the 53 or actually being active on game day? Does anyone remember if either was on the 53 for 6 or more games? I think that Durham was and Lockette wasn’t if I remember correctly? I would appreciate it if anyone knows.

74. raymaines says:

Oh yeah, one more thing…

Geoux SeaHawks!!

75. bbnate420 says:

raymaines, are you from Louisiana and who is CP?

76. CP Clipboard Portis?

77. BBnate – I think they would have either Durham or Lockette play ST for Obo if they kept one of them over Obo –

It will be interesting what the ST are like – we HAVE to be better than in years past – or they will doom us in close games, by giving up better field position, not getting better position, or ultimately – giving up too many returns!

78. bbnate420 says:

xcman, that’s the thing. Durham and Lockette are unproven on ST, as well at WR really. I know they would have to have some WR play ST. And it probably would have to be them. I can’t imagine them putting Tate, Baldwin, TO, Rice or Edwards out there on ST. Obo has proven himself as an EXCELLENT ST player. No other WR has. I think he gets a spot on that, his versatility, and his steadiness.

79. bbnate420 says:

The “concussion-resistant” helmets are somewhat suspect to me. They may help? Most concussions come from the brain bouncing off the inside of the skull, either from deceleration or the head violently being shot in a direction.

80. bbnate420 says:

It is analogous to the brain damage that people unfortunately sustain when they are involved in a car crash at 30 mph or more, give or take a few mph. The sudden deceleration causes the brain to reverberate around the inside of the skull, causing brain damage. Limiting hits 2 the head should help this to some degree, but they will not eliminate a large proportion of them. Unfortunately, this may be an inherent side effect of football as we know it. Football may be reduced to a shell of it’s former self, if the data on trauma-enduced encephalopathy progresses at it’s current pace. If mothers forbid their children from beginning in organized football, the NFL will eventually fade out. Hopefully, medical science will advance to the point that we can rebuild brain tissue by the time it comes to that!

81. bbnate420 says:

xcman, I know they would have to have Durham or Lockette play ST if they kept one of them instead of Obo. But they don’t have the history of being an excellent ST player like Obo does. Not to mention that he can play all 3 WR spots. Obo definitely doesn’t have PS eligibility left, like Lockette does and Durham may. ST are important and you can’t afford to have zero WRs that can reasonably play ST IMO.

82. bbnate420 says:

Sorry, I see I posted the same thing, basically, a couple of times. Went out with my friends and had a few tonight. Ignore the repetition! 8)

83. SandpointHawk says:

Here’s what James Harrison says about the new helmet technology…

“It was a tremendous turnaround from what I felt in any other game,” Harrison told Wired. “Usually you get three or four hits a game that give you head-ringers, and I haven’t gotten that since I started using Kevlar. It’s night and day.”

It’s a long article but worth the read.

84. bbnate420 says:

Sandpoint, I have read that article before, and I’m 99 % sure that someone here has linked it before. Just mentioning it, not trying to be combative. I’m not totally discounting it, but they make many more claims about objects hitting the padding. That I DEFINITELY believe. There is a large difference between a baseball or hockey puck striking a player and another person driving their body into them. I think I covered that before. Kevlar is used in bullet-resistant armor, there is no such thing as, “bullet-proof” armor, but it cannot stop your body from moving very much. It basically catches the bullet, puck or ball. It keeps it from striking your body as hard as it would. Your skull provides very much the same resistance. It is really very strong to a lot of direct blows. A direct blow usually won’t permanently, or significantly, injure you unless it is strong or focused enough to damage the structural integrity of your skull or cause your head to violently whiplash. That’s usually not the problem in football. When’s the last time you read about a football player with a cracked skull? The problem is the violent movement of the head, as I have said.

I am a huge football fan. I don’t wish to see it significantly changed. I think it might be inevitable that head shots controlled as much as possible, they will attempt to remove them as much as possible. Especially with the lawsuits. That’s the MAIN reason they came down on the Saints IMO. They couldn’t be seen as being soft on player safety before they went to court.

85. bbnate420 says:

There’s a reason that the teams are forced to do baseline tests before the season and compare players to that after a suspected concussion. People may hide or not even be aware that they are not operating at full capacity. The most dangerous part of it is that you are WAY MORE susceptible to significant brain damage if you come back too soon from a concussion. It’s analogous to someone hitting a bruise. It will hurt more and widen the damage greatly. The difference is that the brain cannot recover from damage like that in the way that your other soft tissues can.

86. The average human head weighs 8 pounds (Jerry M.).

87. jzulaski says:

Not much about T.O. lately. Has he been in there making plays?

88. bbnate420 says:

Joe P. says look the other way!!!!!!!

89. bird_spit says:

The brain injury discussion made me think just how insane is it that the league considers, regularly, to increase the number of games. That’s ridiculous given what players like Harrison have said. Four preseason games are also dumb. There are some rookies that would do whatever is necessary to make it in the league, even if it meant playing with a brain injury.

Simple physics would tell you, there should be a technological answer. There will be helmets that help. Allowing for the head to deaccelerate less violently will help. The league and equipment vendors are working on the issue, but obviously it’s not a simple problem to solve.

90. jchawks08 says:

*waits for pabs to join the conversation to give Matt Flynn some overdue credit*

91. mojjonation says:

There was a report somewhere that had a reporter or someone asking Troy Palamalalalulu how many concussions he has had. He answered “Three reported”. So, good luck trying to mandate a helmet where 99% of the players in the league won’t admit they are hurt. Until they can stabilize the brain inside the head before, during, and after a violent Ray Lewis/Patrick Willis kind of hit, the grey matter will continue its bouncing inside the melon.

MF in. TJ out. TO old. SR hurt. RT is baeast mode part duex.

92. raymaines says:

Nate: Matt Flynn played at LSU and his girl friend is a former Miss Louisiana.

Geoux Seahawks.

I’m sorry about the mix up on Josh Portis’ initials. Somehow last night I thought his first name was Clinton.

93. bbnate420 says:

No problem, raymaines. I was kind of being a bitch. I thought you meant Josh Portis, but I just wanted to make sure you didn’t mean someone else that I hadn’t thought of. Flynn’s GF is HOT!!!!!!!!!! That’s enough to make him the starter, right???

The issue you brought up with concussions is EXACTLY why they take baseline measurements. Players want to play, especially younger players! The baseline is a measurement that is very hard to circumvent for players. It hopefully takes the decision out of the hands of the team. Although it still is determined by a team doctor. Players have to meet at least somewhat subjective criteria before they can get back on the field.

94. bbnate420 says: