Morning links: Reaction to Hawks 27-17 win

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 12, 2012 at 8:21 am with 90 Comments »
August 12, 2012 8:21 am
Seattle Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson (3) is seen in the second half of an NFL football preseason game against the Tennessee Titans, Saturday, Aug. 11, 2012, in Seattle. (AP Photo/Rick Bowmer)

Good morning. I’m working on another roster analysis today and will try to post it by Monday.

Here’s my game story from Seattle’s 27-17 win over Tennessee last night, focusing on the quarterback competition.

Check out the box score and highlights from the game here.

Dave Boling of The News Tribune writes that with the way the defense is playing and the offense is running the ball, Seattle’s three-way battle could be between Stan Gelbaugh, Kelly Stouffer and Charlie Whitehurst and it wouldn’t make much difference.

Doug Pacey of The News Tribune writes that Matt Hasselbeck received a loud ovation from the CenturyLink crowd, but struggled in his return to Seattle.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com names Russell Wilson is player of the game.

Steve Kelly of the Seattle Times writes that Matt Flynn needs to get more reps next week against Denver to cement his status as the No. 1 quarterback.

ESPN’s Mike Sando singled out running back Robert Turbin as a player who stood out against the Titans.

ESPN 710 Seattle’s Brady Henderson writes that the veteran receiver Braylon Edwards helped his case to make the team with a long touchdown grab.

Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean writes about Hasselbeck’s struggled against his former team.

Former Seahawks linebacker Aaron Curry is in Los Angeles to get a second opinion on a knee injury that landed him on the PUP list to start training camp.

Morning links
  1. FleaFlicker says:

Eric, nice round up. Just knocked back a cup of coffee and fired up the internet machine to find a fresh installment of the Seahawks Insider. Great way to start the day!

Sure, we’ve had a couple struggles in certain situations, but it doesn’t diminish my enthusiasm for this team and especially for this season. Haven’t felt this excited about Seahawks football in….forever. Go Hawks!

2. Really intriguing to watch the QB’s play. To start, both guys looked like upgrades from TJ to me (w/the caveat, that it’s pre-season, back-ups, etc.) – so I do think we’ll be better on the whole this year, which is huge for this team, b/c as others have said, this Defense looks ready to win.

I thought Flynn looked sharp. Quick reads, got rid of the ball quickly and accurately. Can’t blame him for conservative playcalls. His arm strength didn’t look to be an issue to me. Bad INT, but that’s a classic NFL pick that you see happen to plenty of good QB’s.

But . . .Wilson, is so obviously a playmaker. I don’t know, guys like that are rare finds. I want to see him against 1st team defenses, and see what happens. I thought he was very impressive for his first game out.

Turbin looked real solid too – he will be a contributor. Very nice pick.

Defense has top-5 swagger. Going to be a blast watching them this year.

“When he gets on the field, he doesn’t hold anything back,” Edwards said about Wilson. “He’s not nervous. He’s not scared to make his mistakes. And he’s not scared to go out there and actually have words of leadership. So I’m very impressed with him thus far.”

Words of leadership!
    Wow! Wilson winning his teammates over. I’m still going out on a limb, ( and that limb is getting shorter each day ), and say Wilson will be our starter by week 1.

4. Palerydr says:

Flynn didn’t throw a ball downfield that I saw more than 20 yds. He was accurate on all his passes including the pick. He’s clearly a pocket passer and I expect will get better at avoiding the sacks he took with more reps.

Wilson is at his best when moving outside the pocket the only bad throw he made was the pick from the pocket. It won’t take defenses long to adjust and rush with a contain/spy element to see if he can beat them from the pocket.

Was disappointed in SP giving up the score. I thought we were supposed to get better there with the youth and speed. Maybe just too much youth.

I saw Edwards in practice twice make the same catch he made in game for TD’s. I don’t remember any others though. Could he be the second coming of Dayrll “Downtown” Turner? You older guys might remember the guy who ran a go route and nothing else…

Loved the starting Defense! Exactly what I expected them to be. Ballhawking from the first play they look like they will be bringing the pain all season. The only negative I see there is depth in the secondary.

5. They were who I thought they were!
    First preseason game awesome, mostly… Here we come Mile High.

6. Southendzone says:

Wilson is fine, but how is he not the same QB as Seneca Wallace? He has that EXACT same instinct to do the sprint back away from pressure that Seneca always did, so by the time the play is 1.5 seconds old, there is no pocket whatsoever and he is 13 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

He’s got the athleticism to get away with it, just like Seneca did, but you just don’t see many (any?) examples of this type of QB play succeeding in the NFL.

To me his ceiling is a guy who if you put a good team around him, can get you 8 or 9 wins.

Steve Kelly must be afraid that if Flynn doesn’t get most of the reps Wilson will win the competition.
    Well, if it’s best for the team, ( and Wilson does win it ), what’s wrong with that?

Why do I shake my head more often than not when I read a Steve Kelly story?

I thought about that too, regarding his scrambling: nearly always out the back end, and always to the right. I’m sure unlike Seneca, he’ll break those habits.

Southendzone- It’s called leadership abilities and also what’s going on in his head is the difference between Wilson and Wallace.
    I would trust Wilson at this early stage of his career to lead our team with two minutes left and needing a score to win than I would Wallace at any stage of his career.

10. Small sample size, but Wilson looks more accurate than Seneca. I also thought all of his scrambling last night made sense, meaning, that he was running away from a legit pass rush, or running w/purpose down the field when he saw a big opening – – i.e., not just running for the sake of running.

11. Wilson does remind me of Seneca — but I don’t think Seneca looked quite this good from the start. I think Wilson is a very good prospect, the best QB prospect the Seahawks have drafted since Mirer. He’s going to play in this league for a long time. We just have to wait and see if he’s going to be a star (certainly seems like it, but even Mirer had a great rookie season).

I want to see Flynn starting this season, Wilson backing him up, Portis as third string, and TJack shipped to whichever team will trade for him.

12. Agree with FleaFlicker…very tempting now to say that this initial pregame was more encouraging perhaps than we’ve ever experienced this early in a season, and especially when considering where we’ve come from and playing a pretty good eastern team. I did see enough to be concerned about our depth beyond the O and D starters, which is critical, as players come and go with injuries…and Zack Miller perhaps already. But their obvious speed, toughness, together-enthusiasm, plus the obvious coolness, efficient movement and evident accuracy of both new QB’s is something indeed to look forward to each week…until we see otherwise. And did we see many dropped passes beyond McCoy? I don’t think so. So there’s enough to the good apparent already…and I’ll keep watching with interest. And also because Russell Wilson is such a refreshing joy and talent to watch, and quite obviously now in the wings. So we all do have to thank Pete and Schneider for gathering some encouraging talent up here in Siberia finally, and it could be interesting to see how it all prospers. Get well quickly Moffitt.

13. WiscCory says:

Boling, Out of those 3, I’d take Stan Gelbaugh.

14. WiscCory says:

Georgia, your Wilson prediction isn’t that far fetched.

I’m finally on the “TJ is out of the competition” boat.

15. Sparky12 says:

Comparing Wilson to Wallace ends with their similar abilities to scramble out of the pocket. Wilson is way more skilled, smarter, experienced at the QB position, and seems to have true leadership abilities. Wilson shows the kind of natural sense of reading what the defense is going to give him that you just can’t teach, along with the smarts, arm, and legs to pull it off. Still think Flynn should get the go for this year and let Wilson get one year under the belt as the back-up. Hard to believe Wilson is not going to become one of the best in the league.

16. ChrisHolmes says:

Both QB’s are so clearly upgrades over TJ. I am SO happy the front office went out this season and made these acquisitions at the most important position on the field.

I think Flynn is the starter this season (love his accuracy and quick decisions), but yes, Wilson flashes something special. I think it’s only a matter of time for Wilson before he’s the commander of this offense. The kid just has “IT”.

I was so disappointed last season because our most important position was so lacking. Now I feel like we have a great future in front of us.

And damn… the running game looked great, and the 1st team defense is stout.

17. Palerydr says:

Also there were a few posters concerned about sloppy play and penalties, no penalties in the first half, 5 total for the game not a bad start.

18. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

both quarterbacks looked good, other than that it is what it is a preseason game. a little sad that our sack came at the end of the game

19. Sparky- um Wilson din not come in with more experience than Seneca but I agree on the other points

I still think that Flynn can/ should win while Wilson learns the NFL – not scrambling backwards- but moving effectively. Reading defenses better. etc. I am still a believer that if a rookie can sit watch learn for a season or so they will be better- so many guys come in and start right away and make mistakes and lose confidence- and yes there are some examples of guys who started right away and did great. I will only be disappointed if one of these two don’t start

20. I thought not much was learned last night in the Qb derby myself. They both played the way I thought they would. The question, as far as I can see is, “which way does Pete want to play the game?”

21. HawkfaninMT says:

Off Topic post:

I just bought tickets to the opener for me and the family! Woo!

Looking for some tips from anyone that has been to games at AZ. We got a rental car and will be staying a ways away. Best to pay for onsite parking, or offsite and walk it?

100 level seats are not much more pricey than 400 level seats… no brainer to take the 100, right?

Bringing my 9 year old daughter, and expect a little good natured ribbing by the home team. SHould I prepare my daughter for the Raiders black hole experience or are the fans relatively civil?

Good idea to go early in the AM and shop around at Westgate to avoid traffic? Just the 1 Interstate heading North to approach it if I am correct.

Any other tips or advice are appreciated!

22. owenbytheway says:

Wilson is confident aggression – on every play.

Not the windshield wiper approach of Hass.

Flynn was playing within his comfort level.

Wilson will never be comfortable.

Yeah, he was playing against scrubs – but he did not have the first string offense either.

Wilson has a presence, and coaches can’t teach you that.

Yeah, only a practice game … but at least we are not sufferin from hesitation blues at QB.

It remains Flynn’s job to lose, but as little as one “bad” series could change all that. He doesn’t need a rearview mirror to see the rook behind him.

Just waitin’ and seein’ … and smiling at the QB situation for a change.

Whoever loses this competition for qb this year between Flynn and Wilson will be a very good backup.
    And it will be interesting to see what the FO does with a third stringer making 4 mill.

24. Seahawks2620 says:

The bias sway for one QB or another is getting really old. I am not pin pointing any contributor to this blog in particular, but it is. Flynn looked Pretty solid, and moved the chains. Wilson made some flashy plays and more than showed that he could potentially start for this team one day. Which ever QB ends up starting, it will be the one who has earned it. Pete has clearly made that evident. Let’s just let the entire pre season play out. The Wilson camp vs. the Flynn camp is tiresome. Haha I think both guys are what we need this season, a QB that is poised and can control the tempo of the game.

25. Pretty happy with what I saw from the QB position and over all play, but damn man, when did the Seahawks become an arena league football team. Dude, the whole game , I was like, shoot, when are they going to flip on the black lights? Anyways, like T.O., I’m stuck with it and I’ll still be rep’n them, but I don’t think I’ll even get used to them.

26. “ever”

27. Palerydr says:

I assume you are talking about the uniforms I think they are just not good. Really don’t like em and certainly won’t buy one.

Seahawks2620- Your’e not being bias against Jackson are you? Lol.

29. FleaFlicker says:

2620: Agree that the QB controversy thread is starting to resemble a dead horse; but we’re going to be talking about it for another three weeks. After that debacle in Cleveland last year, we’re all still working through our anxiety and anguish around the QB role.

But let’s embrace the bigger picture aspect of that: developing depth at every position. Odds of either QB starter being 100% healthy for the whole season: slim. We haven’t done that in seven years. A #2 QB with 2 games worth of preseason action may have us thanking our lucky stars later on down the line. See “Houston Texans Playoff Run” for more information.

As for other positions: Love that Edwards may be re-igniting a stalled career, JR Sweezy getting converted to guard, Turbin showing the potential to carry the load if Marshawn goes down, Lutui stepping in for an injured Moffitt, Tater-Tot finally acting like a veteran. PC/JS are building up a roster that can take a few injuries in stride; and that’s what you have to have to make it through the regular season meat-grinder.

Anybody note the “anti-Madden curse” in effect last night? With those tickets prominently featuring different players, thought it was a recipe for a serious jinx. But with Brandon Browner’s big mug prominently displayed on the ticket last night, he takes the first snap of the ball game into the end zone. Jinx broken! Next ticket: Sydney R. Could we see a stunning display of WR greatness vs Oakland? That would be fun.

30. SPeaking of Sweezy- hasn’t he been practicing at RG? E dry time I saw him last night I saw him at LG

31. bbnate420 says:

Maybe Curry should have a CAT scan while he’s at it and see if there’s a brain rattling around in there?

32. bbnate420 says:

Eric, your boy Divish was talking mess about you again on the game chat. You need to point out that he looks like he’s blowin up, so to speak! ;-)

33. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

my biggest concern is LG mac look week

34. chuck_easton says:

I thought Butler had a quietly solid game last night. Goes along with what we’ve been hearing about him having an under the radar good camp.

We might need to start including his name in all our final 5 or 6 WR projections.

35. Seahawks2620 says:

If Jackson some how manages to over come the many flaws that he has and wins the job, then so be it. I simply wan the best guy out there, not the guy that I like the best. I haven’t spoken on behalf of Jackson because we got to see him all of last season, torn pec and all. Not saying I’m the most rationale fan ever, I am definitely not. It’s just kind of ridiculous to come out and ridicule either Flynn or Wilson for one half PDA game each. There is no way in hell that is enough evidence, to imply that Flynn “is exactly what we thought he was”. Same goes for Wilson. Through one half of play, Wilson absolutely offers more excitement, but I am more than ok with Flynn eating up the clock as long as the result is points on the board and a win. I was actually one who was ecstatic when we both signed Flynn and drafted Wilson. I just want to rejoice in the fact that we have two young guys who look like more than an average QB. I don’t think people should discredit the importance of having a good hard count, knowing where to go with the ball, reading the defense, and being accurate. Too many fans around the league whine about QBs with “weak” arms, but if he gets the job done then who the hell cares? I do not.

36. Seahawks2620 says:

Haha PDA is supposed to be “of a”. Damn iPhone.

37. I still want to see a pass rush!!!!!!!

38. Fun to go through all these threads, seems like the level of football intelligence has picked up, with so much worth-saying by more and more readers of blog.

All in all, from what we saw last night already, this team looks like it’s on the rise again, and especially if its depth is broadly better. And, think Sweazy and Lutui, that too seems true on a number of fronts.

39. Sparky12 says:

It would be an interesting switch next week if Wilson starts the first half and plays against Denver’s first string D. By the same token, I would like to see Flynn with some of the missing receiver core back in, and Beastmode running the ball. Either way, it seems a win-win for our QB situation. This is the first year I have felt we could use all 4 pre-season games.

40. jawpeace says:

I still hate the missing logo on the shoulder and that big stupid swoosh in its place. I mean look again at the Wilson picture under the morning link and reaction to the Hawks…. and if you did not know your Hawks or Russel Wilson, then you would be clueless on which team it was in the picture. Team Nike??? would be the response of most East coasters if you asked them which team is in the picture? Never going to buy a new uniform until they get the Hawk logo back on the sleeve.

41. Sparky12 says:

jawpeace: I feel your pain! I can learn to accept the neon green, but the shoulder patch Nike emblem is the most self-promoting corporate BS I have ever seen on a uniform. What’s next, Phil Knights beaming face ala “Howdy Doody” in life size print on each players butt?

42. jawpeace says:

Southendzone comparing Wilson to Wallace is like comparing Favre to Mcguire. I remember Wallace first preseason game and his eyes were big and he looked like a deer in the headlights. His passing was wild and his first instinct was to run. When he made the final roster I was like what the heck does Holmgren see in this guy? Wallace did develop into a nice backup.
    On the other hand Wilson looked poised, decisive, quick, a leader, accurate, and so much more. The only thing the two have in common is their names both start with W, both are under 6 foot, and both have scrambling ability, oh yeah I almost forgot their are both black, but like that matters.

43. jawpeace says:

Sparky that made me laugh pretty hard especially when I had a visual image of it. Still laughing.

44. jawpeace says:

What I can’t believe is that John Snieder gave the final approval for team Nike.

Lol Sparky.

Yes, the uniforms are far worse in action than I feared they would be. At best they look like something from the areana league. Just low budget looking.

47. hawkfaninoklahoma says:

so we will be the first arena team to win a super bowl huh duke,lol

48. jawpeace says:

I do like the helmet, it is the only cool change that they made.

I like the blue and the helmet. Fixing the Jerseys wouldn’t be that difficult: logo on the sleeve. Eliminate the gray stripe in the front the shoulders. And dump the tulips or whale tales or whatever it is around the neck

50. Other than having his earpiece in, T-Jack was disengaged the entire game. Not once did I see him gathered around the coaches, going over photos and alignments. Yet several times saw Wilson, Flynn and Portis all huddled with the book, talking and engaging the coaches. Barring injury I don’t see T-jack making the final 53.

Colts up on Rams in the 4th quarter 38-3. Are the Rams really going to be that bad again this year?

Dukeshire- I don’t think the jerseys will be fixed any time soon. We don’t have that much pull here. We can’t even convince Eric to change the banner to Tez. Lol.

53. What’s BS is the practice jerseys have the logo on the sleeve, it just doesn’t make sense.

54. I also think the shoulder Swoosh is utter BS. Gross! Soooo tacky and corporate, especially considering Knights disgusting comments when the news broke years ago on the unsanitary conditions of the bathrooms etc his child slave labor factories overseas had…he donates 10 mill to Oregons football program, but talked like his child employee’s were sub-human and undeserving of basic necessities and refused to spend 10k to upgrade things to the level of animal pens…

I have refused to buy any nike products since, and see no reason to relax that ban.

But the helmets looked kinda cool. Though Flynn’s helmet (the new style helmet, not the new logo) makes him look like a little kid in Pewee football lol!

I still think Wallace would have been a better qb than T-Joke will ever be, in Holmgrens system. And no, the Browns dont run the same system. And Im not sold on thier coach at all, even if Holmy is.

Wilson actually knows what his WR’s are doing while he scrambles, and can flick a pass accurately 25 yards downfield while on the run in a split second. I really liked Wallace, and I like Wilson a ton more. He’s gonna be a fine player for a long time. Just maybe not this year. One preseason game well-played against second stringers does not an instant star make…

55. bbnate420 says:

The uniforms would be fine if they replaced the Nike crap logo with a Hawk and took all of the puke green off of it!!!!! If sales suffer, they will change! Money talks, BS walks.

Butler is not long for this team IMO. If they want a solid receiver, Obo is bigger, more versatile on offense, and WAY better on ST.

GeorgiaHawk – I would be very surprised if tweaks, if even minor, to their uniforms are made once or twice over the next couple of years. They simply don’t have a look that is intended to stand the test of time. We’ll see though.

And I have no issue with the swoosh on the shoulder / sleeve. The Reebok logo was on the sleeve, but they were able to also incorporate the Seahawks logo as well. And Tru is right, it makes no sense that the practice jersey has it but not the game jersey.

57. bbnate420 says:

You wouldn’t be surprised?

*aren’t* made…

59. seahawk44 says:

I think Farwell should meke the team. His play looked impressive.

60. Sparky12 says:

Dukeshire: The reason I protest the Nike logo on the shoulder is it’s over prominence. Look at the photo of Wilson at the of of this article. What is the first thing that stands out? The Nike “swoosh”, encased in that damn neon green! Way to large. The front of the uniform where the white band comes across the front at the upper chest has the Seahawks in such small print you need a magnifier to see it!

I agree the uniform likely will keep evolving – or at least we hope so, and soon!

It probably is best to start Flynn this season, however I just have this wag, ( wild A$$ guess ), that Carroll really likes what he has in Wilson. Especially the added dimension of his running skills.
    I remember when Carroll was at USC he really admired Locker, and Wilson has similar tools that Locker brings. He’s just not as tall but boy he has things going on that are better than Locker, imo.

Time for Paul Allen to step in and demand to change the Nike logo. “Paul Allen I’m sure you read this blog. I know you saved us once, so please save us again from this logo.” Lol.
    “I will take out your trash! Whatever it takes! But please help change that logo.

Sparky12 – I understand and agree. But many if not most teams in the league have the swoosh on the sleeve *along* with their team logo. We are essentially saying the same thing: the swoosh taking center stage over and in leu of the Seahawk logo, is just gratuitous and terribly ugly.

64. bignasty says:

*Longtime lurker coming out*

Greetings!

Great discussion as always, and great start to what I think will be an awesome season!

My thoughts on the above: I think Turbin showed the decisiveness we need to see in the zone scheme. I think we are keeping some key things under wraps as far as the d-line play goes, so I am not worried about that. I think ‘Deep Heat’ Turner was not as complete as Edwards, but I sure didn’t mind the fly route he opened the season with at mile high an eon ago! I think Seneca Wallace is an idiot, and only an egomaniac thinks idiocy can be coached away, which is why he is in Cleveland.

On the Big Story, I have two thoughts: One, I believe Pete has finessed the QB situation well. TJ won the locker room last year by playing with real guts, so Pete had to handle things with care. It would be imprudent to throw TJ overboard without knowing RW could win games this year off the bench. If he doesn’t know that now, he will next week, at which time TJ will be dealt or cut. TJ knows this, which is why he wasn’t hanging with his soon-to-be ex-team-mates.

Two, while Mirer had an outstanding rookie season, you have to go back a decade for a real appropriate comparison: Last night felt just like Dave Kriegs first preseason game, a night I will never forget. I told my dad and older brothers then that this guy was the future, and would take the team to the next level. It didn’t happen right away, but it did happen. As a 15-yo, that was the first time I out-prognosticated my family. After last night, I feel just as strongly about Wilson.

I see Flynn as a serviceable game manager who will function as a bridge. He can still win big in this format, just like Dilfer did in Baltimore, only better. Iam glad he is here, and glad he will start the season.

I love that nobody in the lower 47 is aware of whats going on here in South Alaska, as we are about to blow some minds. Double-digit wins and a deep playoff run as we begin a new era as an elite team.

65. Welcome bignasty and well said. I think Flynn is more than a bridge and thought he was pretty conservative last night, the mantra in his head was probably “don’t blow it!” As he gets more comfortable he’ll start taking more chances. RW looked really, really good but I felt he broke out of the pocket too quickly on more than one occasion. Still, he looks like he has what it takes to be competitive and a leader in this organization. We have some QBs!!!

Everyone disses Butler but I think he makes the team. Bobby looked good with a little bit of the deer-in-the-headlights look but overall well played. Bruce was there but contained.

Our D rocks, will our O? I hope so…

66. I think Wilson is more similar to Michael Vick than Seneca Wallace. Obviously he doesn’t have the elite speed of Vick but he looks to be elusive and has good vision and field awareness. Wilson, I don’t believe, took a sack during yesterday’s game. For all his mobility Wallace took huge losses and fumbled the ball on monster blindside hits due to his lack of pocket awareness. I don’t know if Wilson will be named the starter to start the season, but I do have a feeling that he will end up being our starter by the end of the season when all is said and done. I think we ended up getting 1st rd talent in the 3rd round. Kinda makes up for the Carpenter pick.

67. nidhighe says:

I really don’t like the new uniforms. They look cheap and Arena Football-ish. And the Nike swoosh is too obtrusive.

–Danielle

bignasty- Welcome to the blog! It’s refreshing to me when someone new adds their viewpoint! Especially when it for the most part agrees with mine.
    I really liked your post!

69. Anyone think we might see T-Jack released this week or next? Given no injuries and to give him an opportunity to catch on elsewhere?

70. HawkfaninMT – I have a few bits of advice that will hopefully improve your game day experience. I live in Phoenix due to my work and have been to the last 4 Hawks vs Cards games at U of P stadium. Sight lines are good everywhere, but I would splurge for the 100 level seats. There are quite a few displaced hawks fans around, and I’ve found many to cheer with me in the 100 section. Even though many of the cards fans are older and quite civil, the higher up u go the more likely there will be some shenanigans and rough language. There are a couple good restaurants at the West Gate Center, but I would recommend the Yard House for all around good food. Since you are staying in another area and have a rental car, I would go there a little early and park at the outside lots, then do some shopping or hang out by the fountains before the game. Even though I am a diehard Seahawks and Seattle sports fan in general, I must say the Cardinals stadium is an engineering marvel in its own right. Hope you and your daughter have a blast down here in the desert. Go Hawks!

nidhighe – Mabey we will all forget about the uniforms once we win the SuperBowl.
    It could be worse, like the Browns.

72. ljarllrajl says:

Wilson reminds me a lot of Seneca Wallace just the way he looks. The big difference is that Wilson is always looking down field and is much more accurate. So he might look like him but he certainly doesn’t play like him.

If they win the Super Bowl, the unis will still suck. In fact, I would take the Browns uniforms at this point… Lol

74. Love wilson…wow! But where is our pash rush?

75. crunchmeister says:

Those uni’s are just horrid, although I don’t mind the helmet. I’m kind of suprised the NFL allowed them since they are so non-traditional, don’t fit the general look of the league, and are butt-ugly. Dear God I hope they wheel out the classic throwback uni this year.

76. I wouldn’t go so far to say the unis look good in a classic sense, but they represent PC/JS and the way they think perfectly. The current regime and the way they run the franchise is very cutting edge and non- conformist – it’s fitting that the team uniforms reflect that non- traditionalist way of life. They do everything else differently and in their own way, why shouldn’t their gear reflect that? Btw I liked the neon green alt jerseys too.

77. I just hate that my team has tulips on them. Blech! Now I gotta hear Tiny Tim in my head every time there’s a close up of those unis. I hope nobody buys them. Then maybe they’ll get the idea and make some adjustments. I’d rather have the old lime unis then tulips!

78. dirtbiker_joey says:

Woah! I though for a second there that my girlfriend left one of her fashion blogs up on my ipad. What’s all this complaining about uniforms? I thought this was a football blog.

79. dirtbiker_joey says:

. . . That being said, I like the uniforms.

80. piperfeltcher says:

Not a fan of the uniforms but do find the numbers easier to read when watching the game on TV then with the old jerseys.

81. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

Talent wise is their really any question that Wilson isn’t the most talented of all the QB’s on our roster? Secondly, I don’t think Wilson is anything like Seneca. When Wilson scrambled he was looking down field. He threw the ball well, and very accurate, on the run just like Rothelesburger, Rodgers, and other Q.B.’s in the league that try to buy time with their feet. He only ran twice. And when he did have time, and was able to stay in the pocket, he launched it to Edwards for a touchdown. Other than the stupid int he threw, I was really impressed with him.

I really need to see Wilson against #1 defenses, though. If he has a similar, or better, performance against a first unit defense then I say that we should name him our starter now. Why waste time? Might as well give him the helm so that he can get used to it and make his mistakes now–and learn from them, in time for the post season.

I like Flynn, too. He was accurate, decisive, and poised. But it bothered me that he had trouble in the red zone. And like others said already, he didn’t really throw the ball down field: it seems like he only makes one, or two, reads before getting rid of the ball, instead of going through all of his progressions. That cover two line was garbage: I don’t believe that no one was ever open down the field on that long drive he had.

I thought that Turbin did o.k. But he had a lot of rushes for no gains. And it bothered me that he got chased down from behind more than once. Others gloated about him, but to me he was just o.k.

Bruce Irvin didn’t seem to do anything special. I know he didn’t play much. But still, I don’t think he even had a Q.B. hurry that game. Makes you say hmm.

82. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

One last thing, Chad Johnson has to be cheap right now. I know that he’ll probably get a 2-3 game suspension (he shouldn’t get more because it’s his first offense). It would be cool to see him in a Seahawks uniform. I wonder if Carrol and Scheider are thinking the same.

Thanks DisplacedSeahawkFan.

You said about everything I was going to say except for the Chad Johnson part. Lol.

84. Flynn and RW looked great! I love the uniforms as well. Can’t wait to see the Gray on Gray.

I’m very interested to see RW run with the 1st team. Personally, I hope he gets the start next game for a quarter+, Flynn to relieve then Tjack. I’ve long defended Tjack here for his toughness, arm strength, knowledge of the Bevell system, mobility, etc. however I really thought Flynn did a great job of getting rid of the ball quickly albeit dinkin’ and dunkin’ his way down field.

Wilson is a completely different animal. I want him to win the job outright and start the season. Where I think he could potential struggle is if the pass rush comes up and contains him on the outside forcing him to make something happen from the pocket. He’s cat like quick and can elude the rush well, but if he’s in a forest of giants, I’m not sure how he’ll handle the situation.

Defensively, we have a bunch of rock starts. Would’ve liked to have seen more from the pass rush but on the back end we’re simply stellar. The LB’s showed promise and will only get better.

Now that we’ve got the 1st game out of the way, I am eagerly anticipating our full arsenal of weapons on offense. Going into the season, I thought we were lacking quite of bit there. Adding Winslow, Edwards and Owens gives us experience, attitude and playmaking ability that takes some of the pressure off of Lynch to be the guy.

Damn, I’m excited. When’s the next game?

:-)

GO HAWKS!

85. piperfeltcher says:

I thought Flynn looked better then Wilson. The TD pass to Edwards was just a jump ball and any QB can throw those and it really should have been offensive pass interference.

86. Another opinion for what it’s worth about the new Seahawk uniforms as seen on tv, since everyone else is commenting about them now. I like new uniforms that look good, but there’s also a matter of visual practicality on tv. On my big, Sony hd-tv I noticed right away that the uniformly darker, overall blueness of this new Nike offering doesn’t seem to stand-out as clearly overall on tv as previous uniforms, both from a distance and closer up. It’s as though more of a darker, overall monotony darker blue is reigning now, despite smaller, brighter-green highlight patches, which I guess are just too small to provide enough overall contrast on tv, or whatever.

So, in my view, the darker shade of blue chosen, while actually really beautiful, doesn’t seem to do the job of standing out, or clearly defining players against the green field as much. So, in my humble opinion, it comes down to more of an overall mish-mash down on the field of guys in duller and darker colored uniforms running around, who are also a bit harder to quickly define and recognize I’d guess too.

However, the new helmets, although darker too overall, seemed like about as classy an overall improvement, for some reason, as I’ve ever seen on any team’s helmet–really well done, both upclose and from a distance on tv, I thought. But the rest, no, on tv at least, too dull and dark all over.

87. Flynn looks like the game manager most think he is. There’s nothing wrong with his style, it just doesn’t seem to offer much in terms of unpredictability or excitement. I thought his throws were pretty decisive and his arm strength seemed perfectly fine for the NFL. The only real knock on him is that his ceiling seems pretty easy to predict. I think he’ll be fine when the game is close or the Hawks are up, but if we’re playing from behind I’m wary of his ability to pick up chunks of yards at a time. Flynn played like he was trying not to lose his job. You could almost hear him thinking “Don’t F&%$ this up.”.

Wilson, on the other hand, clearly offers the unknown that all playmakers offer. Knowing that he does have the speed to take off any any moment makes him that much more dangerous/unpredictable. I’ll echo what others have said here and say that I’d love to see DangeRuss run with the starters.

If Wilson and Flynn are neck and neck, PC and JS will have to weigh the benefits of experience versus speed. Flynn has the experience, Wilson has the feet. For this reason alone I think they’re leaning on Flynn while secretly they want Wilson to make it a lopsided competition so they can run with their chosen one.

88. mojjonation says:

I remember Daryl “Deep Heat” Turner. Don’t recall the “Downtown” one.

Non existent pass rush. Paging Irvin and Clemons…hello.

Edwards should have been called for offensive PI. He pulled the defender down from behind and got away with it. Scrub refs aren’t going to catch that. Ed Hoculi would have ripped his helmet off and beat him with it.

I’m not sure if Flynn took what the defense was giving him or was instructed to dink and dunk. He looked more along the lines of a better version of Checkdown Jesus.

We still suck in the red zone. One trip, another field goal. Possibly channeling Holmgren there. The Edwards and Wilson scores were both in excess of 30 yards. Teams may just let us march into the red zone and crowd the line in hopes of stopping the running game.

Speaking of the run game…Turbin is beast.

Game one of a preseason where we actually had OTA’s and a training camp do not a career make, but hey it looked pretty good.

89. mojjonation says:

Uniforms are horrible. Too busy. Reminds me of the jacked up Maryland uniforms. The NIKE swoosh is bigger than everything else but the name and numbers. Team Oregon sticks it to Seattle…AGAIN.

90. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

neklok I think that you brought up a very good point. Although he only played one half of a game, from what I saw I doubt his ability to gain big chunks of yardage at once–I say that because in that game I don’t think he had a passing attempt for more than 8 yards. That’s going to be important when we play teams like GB, and the Patriots, who have the ability to go up by more than one score against the Seahawks. Again it was only one game, but if we get down by more than two touchdowns, from what I saw, Flynn is going to be useless. In such a situation T.Jack would be better because at least he take shots down the field.

About the uniforms, they are ugly. Purplish Blue and Neon green? Who the hell thought of that color scheme? They are so ugly that they are disrespectful–which is why I kind of like them. You have to have an attitude to wear something so ugly. That says something about this team.