Morning links: A return of Touchdown T.O.?

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 9, 2012 at 7:58 am with 47 Comments »
August 9, 2012 7:58 am
Seattle Seahawks' Terrell Owens during NFL football training camp, Wednesday, Aug. 8, 2012, in Renton, Wash. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

Dave Boling of The News Tribune believes new Seattle Seahawks receiver Terrell Owens needs to make impact plays – a lot of them – to justify the team taking a significant risk in brining the 38-year-old veteran receiver into training camp.

Boling: In evaluating Owens, it’s fair to consider that he’s not expected to be a No. 1 receiver in Seattle. But he’d be of value if only as a reserve who can create matchup problems for opponents.

If he can’t, he’ll be gone. Carroll loves giving second (or last) chances, but he’s proven that if you don’t contribute, you’re down the highway.”

You can watch the entire Owens press conference from Wednesday right here.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com writes that Clinton McDonald has been the fourth defensive lineman working with Seattle’s nickel package, along with defensive end Bruce Irvin and Chris Clemons, and defensive tackle Jason Jones.

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times compares Owens’ arrival to the first days on the job of Brian Bosworth and Franco Harris in Seattle.

Richard Sherman talks with Bob Stelton and Dave Grosby about the arrival of Terrell Owens in this audio link.

Golden Tate talks with Bob Stelton and Dave Grosby about Owens asking for his No. 81 in this audio link.

Seattle head coach Pete Carroll joins NFL Access, and says that his team is looking for something unique from Owens in this video link.

Doug Farrar of Yahoo Sports writes that the new T.O. looks a lot like the old T.O.

Bucky Brooks of the NFL Networks discusses Owens first practice in this video link.

ESPN’s Jane McManus says that Shannon Eastin is nervous, but ready to make history as the first woman to officiate in an NFL game. Eastin will serve as a line judge in tonight’s between Green Bay and San Diego as a replacement official.

Eastin was part of the replacement official crew working at Seahwks practice last week, as you can see in the picture below.

NFL official Shannon Eastin works during the Seattle Seahawks' NFL football training camp in Renton, Wash. (Rod Mar/Seattle Seahawks)
Morning links
  1. bbnate420 says:
  2. FleaFlicker says:

“The Passion of T.O.”

This is a magazine article I remember reading in a Philadelphia hotel back in 2005. One of the most interesting sports pieces I’ve ever read. A bit long, but if you want a new appreciation of what made the man behind the image, take it for a spin:

3. I have to respect Golden Tate for not giving up his “81” to Owens. Why give up your number for a player who may not be here next year, especially when you see yourself as a rising star?

Btw, I watched an interview with Pete on NFL Network and he did say “T.O.” So he’s not just sticking with “Terrell.” I’ve noticed too that he says “TJack” at times.

4. I’ve listened to Golden Tate a few different times and the dude sounds like a dufus. Whereas Bruce Irvin may not be the most articulate athlete, he speaks with humility. I realize that these guys get paid to perform ON the field, but I think the doughnut thief could be trouble down the line. I don’t have anyone else on that radar, but his sense of entitlement is a concern. IF Terrell does end up starting with Rice and Baldwin, I wonder how he’ll respond. Will he play harder or pout? My money is on the latter. I hope I’m wrong.

GO HAWKS!

First? That non-sense still exists…? lol

Eric, Where do you see Rice’s rehab at this point? They had the red jersey off for the second practice, but he’s had it back on since. From what you see, will he be 100% for the season opener?

6. Hammajamma says:

Thinking the arrival of TO answers that. Heard they want to hold him out of preseason game contact.

7. Nobody has really said it, but I am starting to get concerned that because of injuries Sydney Rice is going to end up being a bust in Seattle. Hope it doesn’t happen ths way.

8. Good call on that article Flea Flicker, I remember reading it too.

For anyone who needs to be convinced to spend the 10 minutes, here is a short excerpt.

“We love him, then we hate him. A few months ago, Owens traveled to Houston, where he visited displaced hurricane victims. He helped distribute clothing and supplies at a shelter. He posed for photos. He autographed footballs, hats, Holy Bibles, jerseys. He tossed a ball and —

Hold on a minute. He autographed Bibles?”

lolTO

9. re: Rice — For what its worth: the other day Schneider was asked about Rice’s health, and he said Rice was rehabbing well, but that he never expected Rice to be ready before the end of preseason. I would think that statement is somewhat based on what he’s seeing currently. Of course they want Rice to play on opening day, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he isn’t 100% go on opening day, might be limited, or might not start. My opinion – this is why T.O. is practicing at flanker right now. If they expected Rice to be full go on opening day, I think T.O. would be practicing at split end where the team has the real need.

10. RDPoulsbo says:

I saw some comments yesterday dismissing that TO was playing flanker as just he can just flip to the other side at the drop of a hat and it’ll be no big deal. That may be true in Madden, but it’s not so easy when it comes to the real thing.

TO needs to learn the system and learn it quickly. Even though he played in a WCO, he’s still going to need to get up to speed with the current playbook. The best way to do that is to have the coaching staff give him 1 position to learn first and that’s apparently flanker. I think making the move at this point means they are indeed worried about how Rice is progressing healthwise. It probably also means they’re not completely confident in Obo can step in if Rice can’t go. I still think Obo will make the team, but he’s falling down the depth charts.

11. seahawk44 says:

I’m still baffled why nobody ever mentions Deon Butler in any potential team roster receiver conversations. He has been practicing with the 1st unit in the slot with the absence of Baldwin. Does nobody think he will make the team?

12. jchawks08 says:

His name is Golden. And he’s a WR. Does that not scream ‘Diva’? Why should he give up his #81? Is there a valid reason? Sure T.O has always worn #81, but as previsouly mentioned, he’s not even guaranteed to make the roster. It’s not like he signed a 5-year deal.
    I love this guy. I love that his jersey is hanging inside Top Pot doughnuts. I love his attitude. I’d love him even more if he caught 60 balls for 1000 yards and 10 TD’s this year. :D

All that is true, but Owens has played extensive time at both flanker and split-end, in two different WCO variations. He ought to be able to adapt with relative ease.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Rice isn’t ever 100% going forward. Hopefully he will because now he has a couple of qbs that can get him the ball without him having to make a sacrificial catch like he had to on many occasions last year.

15. Deon who?

Oh yeah, Deon Butler.

I agree….. he seems to be a forgotten man. From what I read I think he is ‘on the bubble’, but I don’t have strong feelings for or against him. Stay or go – whatever.

16. I like that Ownes gets a new number to go with his new opportunity.

I respect Golden for not giving his number to Ownens, but I still think Tate is still a donut stealing nob. Million dollar athlete with a 10 cent head.

17. orbeavhawk says:

Eric: The Radio Link for Tate interview takes me to the Sherman interview???

18. orbeavhawk says:

Dukeshire: I read here or somewhere that when Rice came out to practice w/o that RED jersey on – that it was his decision, not the team trainers etc. and that THEY “corrected” him…..and thus we have not seen him since w/o that red jersey.

19. Yeah, Rice did an interview the other day and said he wore a regular practice jersey on his own accord, but was told to throw the red one on and they went into his locker and took all the jersey’s away that weren’t red so he wouldn’t do it again. Plus he said he is a full go for the AZ game too, despite what was being said about him not being ready.

20. RDPoulsbo says:

I was down on Tate before TC and expected Durham to step up and take the starting job. Turns out the opposite happened. Tate is having a great TC so far. Probably the best of any of the WRs. So at the very least, it looks like the concern over starting split end can should mostly ease up. Tate probably should give Owens #81 though. I’m convinced that number is cursed in Seattle. Any Seahawk player that wears that number is bound to get into huge trouble with the law or suck beyond belief.

21. Macabrevity says:

Autographing Bibles… that’s hilarious!!!

22. HonHawksLSB says:

Sirius/XM live at Hawks camp from Noon-4pm, man the workday is going to fly by!! I love what I hear from Kam and Flynn so far. Lots of love for Bobby Wagner and Sweezy as well.

Hon Hawks!

Sirius NFL is at Seahawks practice and interviewing Flynn. Kirwin just compared one of his throws today, on a roll out, to John Elway. For what that’s worth..

orbeav – Thanks for the correction.

25. HonHawksLSB says:

It’s pretty obvious that Flynn is our guy, Dukeshire, would you agree? Pat Kirwan and Tim Ryan just described in detail how strong Flynn is at looking off the safety and were impressed with his arm strength, which was the knock on him.

This guy is NOT Kevin Kolb, he is comfortable and in control in the pocket. I was thinking 8-8 maybe 9-7, but after listening to Flynn talk I think we can win 10-12 games this year.

Carroll and Kirwin (again) both said they are surprised by Flynn’s arm strength.

Yes, I do agree.

Carroll dumping praise on Tate. Really seems genuine too. Well, I hope I’m wrong and he really ha taken a step forward. Cool…

28. bird_spit says:

I think the big open questions on Flynn can only be determined by playing the games. My 2 second short list:
    1) Can he hold up physically for 16 games
    2) Will he be consistent
    3) How much better will he be in reading the defense, and changing a play on the line
    4) Does he understand enough of what the opponent is doing to help the OL with identifying the defense.
    5) etc..

We will know a lot more by this time next year..

Carroll “shocked” at how easily Sweezy has transitioned. He’s a “fighter” and apparently put a couple guys on their backs, today.

Sherman and Baldwin now on. This team really seems to like one another. So refreshing to see

31. HonHawksLSB says:

Also very impressive how smart our team sounds on the radio. You listen to most DB’s, take Davis from Mia on hard knocks for example, and they sound like morons. Not surprising that Stanford products Sherman and Baldwin sound very intelligent but Kam went to Va Tech and that guy is sharp too! No knock on Va. Tech, just praise for Hawks football IQ.

Apparently the team played a “joke” on TO, and he responded by turning the tables and cracking everyone up. Kirwin wouldn’t give the details by Sherman and Baldwin were both blown away. He “became a teammate”…

Hon – You as fired up as I am, right now? Lol

34. HonHawksLSB says:

Duke- I am so fired up, I literally have goose bumps. This is already my favorite team of all time and you are talking to a guy that stayed at the Romulus Inn and almost got robbed to support his Hawks in Detroit for the Super Bowl.

Tim Ryan said Carpenter’s weight is up and he still has a pretty noticeable limp.

36. He keeps walking back to the huddle the jokes going to be on him.

Dukeshire- I haven’t seen you fired up this much in a while! Drinks on you tonight? Lol.

38. Hammajamma says:

Hugs for everyone.

On to more pressing matters: What’s the uni combo for Sat?

39. RDPoulsbo says:

As I’ve mentioned before, I’d be surprised if we see Carp in action this year. I’ve been through the whole ACL surgery and rehab. It doesn’t matter if they have the best specialists in the world. There’s just a limit on the human body that’ll allow him to safely play without retearing it. They get rid of your old ACL, cut a piece of your kneecap off and use that as your new ACL. It takes a long time for it to attach securely so it doesn’t just rip off again.

I think we need to take Flynn’s arm strength into perspective. Matt Hass was always criticized for his lack of arm strength. He made up for it with anticipation and recognizing the defense. If Flynn can do the same and avoid the gunslinger mentality Matt tried while wanting to emulate Favre, he’ll be fine.

If any of you listened to the Sherman interview in the morning links, it was great how well he handled himself. I like the whole he’s not going to get mad, but channel it into getting an INT and such. I love the Legion of Boom thing as well. He’s easily my favorite guy on defense.

40. Moffitt hurt his arm today. No official word but looked like alot of pain. Lutui replaced him.

41. tchristensen says:

Duke,

What channel on XM? Thanks

42. SandpointHawk says:
  43. Thanks for the link, SandpointHawk. That was some really good Kool-Aid (but from an outside source!).

44. Great share Sandpoint…I love that article!

GeorgiaHawk – It’s true. I’ve been really tempered this offseason. But I can’t dial it back any longer, I’m so giddy right now. lol. It’s going to be a great season!

tchristensen – Channel 88

46. http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000048018/article/did-terrell-owens-seahawks-practice-break-nfl-rules?module=HP11_headline_stack

Another reason to HATE Dallas? They suspect the Hawks broke rules with TO practicing so soon.

As if I need another reason to despise the cowgirls!

47. bird_spit says:

No hate on Dallas…hate, despise, loth the cowgirls, absolutely…