Morning links: Flynn’s job to lose

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 8, 2012 at 7:33 am with 71 Comments »
August 8, 2012 7:33 am
Seattle Seahawks quarterback Matt Flynn (15) passes, as Russell Wilson (3) waits for his turn next at right, Tuesday, Aug. 7, 2012, during NFL football training camp, in Renton, Wash. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

John McGrath of The News Tribune writes that the three-way quarterback competition is now Matt Flynn’s job to lose after Seattle head coach Pete Carroll announced him as the starting quarterback for Saturday’s game against Tennessee.

McGrath: If he manages to run a reasonably adept offense for the first 30 minutes Saturday night against the Tennessee Titans – if he keeps mistakes to a minimum and stays out of harm’s way – Flynn will retain the label of starting quarterback for at least another full week, no matter how dazzling rookie Russell Wilson looks in the second half.

Such are the benefits of first-team status. A backup can’t displace the No. 1 quarterback until the No. 1 quarterback plays his way out of it, and while it’s possible Flynn will succumb to stage fright amid the Saturday night lights at CenturyLink Field, it’s much more likely the promotion will stick into the regular season.”

Here’s my reaction story on Terrell Owens coming to town today. We had some interesting comments from Seattle receivers. Here’s what Sidney Rice had to say about Owens being a possible distraction in the locker room. “We are welcoming the guy here. We are not going to talk bad about him. We are going to try to keep him comfortable in the locker room and get him out here on the field as much as possible to make plays for us.”

And here’s my story on Flynn getting the start on Saturday against Tennessee. Says Carroll: “To make a big decision like this it’s about your information that you gather. And I want really, really good information coming in so that we can make a really clear-cut choice as we do it.”

I did a radio hit with Fox Sports previewing the Seahawks season, which you can check out below.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com writes that Braylon Edwards performed well during practice on Tuesday. Did the looming arrival of Terrell Owens serve as motivation?

Steve Kelly of the Seattle Times writes that the rewards outweigh the risk for Seattle in bringing in Owens. However, Kelly brings up a good point – how will Seattle handle Owens if he performs well the first half of the season, but then melts down midway through the year because he’s not getting the ball but the team’s playing well?

Art Thiel of SportsPressNW.com says that the Seahawks traded one circus show for another, with Carroll finally announcing a starting quarterback this week, but Owens due in town this morning.

Seahawks tight end Kellen Winslow talks with KJR’s Dave Mahler in this audio link.

Brock Huard of ESPN 710 Seattle lists five reasons why he likes Owens in Seattle:

Seahawks general manager John Schneider talked with Brock Huard and Mike Salk and KJR’s Mitch Levy about the Owens signing in audio links that you can check out here and here.

ESPN’s Mike Sando says the arrival of Owens has the Seahawks dreaming.

Skip Bayless of ESPN’s First Take believes that Seattle is taking on a low-risk, medium reward in bringing in Owens, and likes the move overall. Check out the video link here.

Morning links

I hadn’t really thought of it like that, but I agree with Thiel. Terrell Owens a Seahawk… I still can’t get my head around it.

Also, I love this from Carroll, regarding Owens:

“We’re a bunch of young guys growing, and if an older guy wants to fit in, they’re going to have to do it our way,” Carroll said. “That was a really clear statement to Terrell and he knows what he’s getting into.”

3. chuck_easton says:

I also like the fact that Carroll continues to refer to Owens as Terrell.

The message “you can leave that whole T.O. nonsense at the door. Here you are Terrell”.

4. In Canada, T.O. means Toronto, and T.O. will be visiting T.O. this fall, as he did when he was a Buffalo Bill.

I can’t wait to see Flynn in action this Saturday. He may not be the long-term answer at QB, but I just can’t see how he wouldn’t be an improvement over TJack.

5. hawkdawg says:

A few of these links, specifically the video ones and Brock’s KIRO one, don’t work. Mousing over them does nothing….

6. Hawkdawg: I just checked them all and had no problems. Maybe it’s your browser.

7. JohnnyBGood says:

I know everyone is looking for any slightest signal of who’s leading the QB competition, but Flynn starting Saturday isn’t it. Carroll: “The fact that we’ve had Tarvaris for 14 games last year and the four preseason games as well, we have a lot of great information on him. We feel like we have a good understanding of what he can do and how he plays, as well as he’s been with (offensive coordinator Darrell Bevell) for going on seven years, so that helps us in this situation in that he’ll be able to survive cutting his reps out to a certain extent, and the other two guys will be able to pick up some reps. This is how we had planned it all along, and it’s turned out that it’s going to fit together, then we’ll see how we go at the end of this week…”

8. Hammajamma says:

The more I ruminate on this the more I like it. From player to coach to commentators, everyone clearly sees the low risk upside. I imagine we’ll hear later today if TO can spin the fan base into dreaming of great things with some careful comments.

Secondly, some national buzz for the local boys is always fun and will get the Bristol crowd to give them a harder look. This is, after all, entertainment. Are you not entertained…..?

9. We can’t complain its been a boring off season.

To quote Jim Harbaugh….. who’s got it better than us? Nobody!

10. Ewalters7354 says:

I honestly don’t think T.O. minds having to compete for a position that I’m pretty sure he’ll win easily.No knock on the younger guys but I don’t think Pete would bring in he and Braylon Edwards if he was comfortable with the position.So I believe Rice,Owens,Baldwin,and Tate are definitely gonna make the team barring any falling apart.

11. raymaines says:

John McGrath is good and I suppose he’s right, but I wouldn’t be too surprised to see RW work the first half of game #2. The real indicator will be who starts game #3.

12. chrisj122 says:

I can’t wait to see Flynn start and run the offense. What I find most iteresting is how Wilson will perform. If Wilson does even adaquate I think to T-Jack will be out the door by the time regular season comes around.

Flynn will be the starter, its just a question if Wilson can show enough in the preseason to be named backup QB. I feel this is the senario that P.C. & J.S. were hoping when they drafted Wilson. Start Flynn and have Wilson back him up for the first few seasons and develop him. Then decide wich QB will be the franchise QB.

Put a fork in T-Jack, he’s done.

13. bird_spit says:

It won’t be a question of Edwards or Owens. The young gang are going to see how the pros do it…and it ain’t fragile Rice as the mentor.

14. John Schneider gave a good interview the other day with some backstory on the T.O. signing.

First, he said “Terrell had a heck of a workout. 220 pounds. Ran a 4.45 and 4.43 (clocked on four stopwatches), you could see his passion and intensity, moved really well, dropped his hips well and moved to the ball, didn’t drop a ball.”

Asked about whether this signing is an indictment on Sydney Rice’s health or the overall productivity of the other WRs, he said “Not at all. He’s rehabbing and doing everything the way we like to see”. Talking to T.O.’s former teams, they all talked about “him being the hardest worker out there”. He is someone for our young guys to “look up to and learn from”… “We are trying to run the most competitive atmosphere we can.”

Asked about expectations, he said, “its a process, its early enough in training camp to do this. We’ll figure out where he’s going to fit in and where he is at physically. We have to be even-keeled about everything… He’s ready to go, being in shape is not the issue with this guy… not sure if he’ll play in the preseason game, we haven’t gotten that far.”

Asked about “not tolerating nonsense” from T.O., Schneider said “We talked about whether he was ready, like in Buffalo and Cincinnati, to be part of a team and not the center of a team… Up here we are all football… there’s not a lot of national media hype up here around our team, and quite frankly, we like that. We had a long talk”… “it goes both ways. He knows where he is at this point in his career and he knows how he wants to finish his career. He has a very clear set of goals, and we have a clear set of expectations for him. It was a good talk both ways.”

15. psoundpowerhouse says:

Maybe I can trade my Wiggs Jersey for a T.O. jersey?
    Hmmm…

16. Sparky12 says:

Ewalters7354: Love your post with Jim Harbaugh’s Quote ” who’s got it better than us? Nobody!”. I hope we can turn that phrase back at that ego-manic and his 49ers. Their heady and rude attitude after last years December game here still sticks in my craw!

I have a feeling we are gonna clean San Fran’s clock this year. Beastmode, Flynn, our ‘D”, and perhaps TO will force Harbaugh to alter his favorite team phrase to ” whos got it better than us ? SEATTLE!

17. FleaFlicker says:

“Red Zone Infraction: Un-12th Man behavior…quoting an NFC West headcoach on the Insider Blog. 5 yd penalty and temporary loss of comment privleges. #9 (blocis).”

18. steffonator says:

It’s very hard to get a comment in on this site, you guys cover “everything”. I stopped going to ST and Nfl.com. and go to you guys first. Keep up the great coverage and opinions I’m in. Thanks Steff.

19. Ewalters7354 says:

Sparky,I think you meant blocis.Lol

20. bayareahawkfan says:

Blocis – I get the intention, and hate the Niners more than any other team, but please don’t ever try to appropriate that windbag Harbaugh’s slogans in a comments thread on this blog again.

I was having a nice morning dreaming of the new-look offense, and then I threw up in my mouth when I read that.

21. Sparky12 says:

Ewalters your correct, my mistake. Please credit comment to blocis. And cudos to bayareahawkfan for calling Harbaugh a wind bag, yet another accurate description. Perhaps next Hawks and 49ers game can end with a mid-field shake of the hands between Pete and Harbaugh and Pete can ask ” Hey, whats your thing-LOSING?”

22. Okay, time for me to vent. That Harbaugh quote reminds me of the crap I’ve read in more than one “NFL season preview” publications lately, that Carroll’s plan for the Seahawks – building up the O line and building a run-first, ball-control offense” comes after Carroll “watched the success that Harbaugh had in San Francisco”.

What a bunch of crap. Carroll was executing this plan from day one, a year before Harbaugh was invited to interview for the 49ers job. We all know this, but some in the national press will keep writing crap like this.

But you know what? This year, we will beat SanFrancisco, OUR WAY. These will be epic battles.

RB Marshawn Lynch > RB Frank Gore
    O-Line Seattle > O-Line SanFrancisco
    TE Winslow/Miller = TE Davis/Walker
    QB Flynn = QB Smith
    D Seattle = D SanFrancisco
    DBs Seattle > DBs SanFrancisco

23. chrisj122 says:

I like that we now have someone to truely hate in our division. Although he is a complete A**hole and deserves all the hate thrown his way. When haven’t had that true division rivial since coming back to the NFC. Except maybe the Rams but it wasn’t that total vomit spewing hate, distain and disgust you get from truely hating another team.

This season may evoke some emotions that I haven’t had in awhile. LOL!!

24. bird_spit says:

The Hutch and Hass show this weekend. It will be interesting to see Locker take control over the Titan’s. My favorite Hawk QB will likely be humbled and on the bench this season.

I am curious how much time Hutch plays, and the match ups to our guys.

I’m personally tired of the recycle of the QB competition, and the WR issues (though they are big for this season). I’d rather some one starts a thread on how our D-Line is shaping up. I hope there will be plenty of fodder for conversations outside of the obvious (QBs, TO) after Saturday. I want to see how our ST is shaping up.

25. Yeah! What Stevos said. I can’t deny it brother…I find myself agreeing with your perspective here more than any other. I’m just sayin’.

GO HAWKS!

26. at least I have ONE fan, joreb. lol. cheers.

bird – I’m with you on growing weary of the QB talk. The real fun will be watching how they actually perform when the heat is on. I’m going to practice tomorrow, and while all eyes will be on Flynn and T.O. I plan to spend my time watching how the D-line and LBs are shaping up.

27. Who’s going to be more nervous watching Saturday night’s game – BobbyK or Flynn’s sister?

28. Seahawks.comn live coverage of TO’s debut right now.

29. Ewalters7354 says:

Stevos,you spoke the sentiments of m my heart bro!I was just on facebook talking to some guys who said Moss will do better than T.O. because they have a better QB.I was like wtf.Since when did Alex Smith become a good QB? He barely can even throw for 150 a game.But at the end of the day I love being outside of the lime light so when the Hawks kick ass all will take notice.Can’t wait(Bart Scott voice)

30. Soggybuc says:

Steffanator, welcome to the fold and remember we have some rules to abide by on the Blog.
    Comment early and often, truth and accuracy be damned! that and any and all Duke bashing is welcomed twice fold.

31. That John McGrath links to a story on The Olympian. No self respecting Tacoman or Pierce Countian(sp?) would read THAT rag! Have you no shame John McGrath!?!

32. Soggybuc says:

Stevo, the Davis/Winslow thing is off base, other than that I agree.

33. Soggybuc says:

Everyone know’s the Everett Herald is the place to be! doubt me? count the NFl coaches from Snohomish county versus Pierce or Thurston county.
    Hint, there is one currently on the Hawks staff.

34. Re Stevos post on TO — a 4.43 40 by a 220lb guy, who is also 38 y.o.? Really, that is pretty amazing. What a specimen. All of the baggage aside, no wonder he’s hall of fame bound.

35. Soggy, I’m not saying Winslow will outperform Vernon Davis. I agree with you there. Davis is an elite talent. What I’m saying is the 2-TE combo of Winslow/Miller can be better than Davis/Walker. Throw in Morrah, and I think we have a better TE group than S.F. If SanFrancisco were to lose Vernon Davis to injury, I think their offense would be crippled.

36. I meant I think 2-TE combo of Winslow/Miller can be as good as Davis/Walker

37. Soggybuc says:

LOL, I get ya man, and again I agree!
    I said in an earlier thread that all our angst and fretting over lack of deep threats is moot because this will be a super TE/Beasturbinator/Goldwin offense

38. You mean the vaunted BeastMoBinatorWinsloTeeO offense? lol!

39. MarkinSeattle says:

I have to say, I like Carrol’s approach in general. They have done this at nearly every position now, go out and bring in a lot of retreads, aging first round draft picks, and young guys, then have them compete and see who rises to the top. They did this at CB, and we have two Pro Bowl caliber CB’s starting, with some excellent backups. Granted, it took a couple of years, but look where we are currently at.

They did the same thing at DL, as well as RB and OL, finding hidden gems at each. I see the same thing essentially happening at WR. They brought in Mike Williams a couple of years ago, Bryant, Edwards, and now TO. All were considered essentially washed out. Williams and Bryant are both gone as they couldn’t stand up to the competition, while Edwards and TO are still here. Even if only one of those two sticks, my bet is that he will be a decent addition to the club.

PC has shown a willingness to cut guys rather quickly and well before they become a drag on the team. He is also willing to continue to bring in hidden talents to see who will emerge. I don’t doubt that PC will torpedo TO long before he becomes a problem, and I don’t doubt everyone on the team knows this. That is why I don’t think we will have problems with TO this year.

40. Soggybuc says:

How about we just call it Flynnified! 8)

41. bird_spit says:

Question for those smarter on the NFL rules than I … If hawks stuff some young injured WR on IR, how can the club continue to develop them? Do they go to practices?

42. Sparky12 says:

WIN WITH FLYNN!!!!!!!!!!!

43. chuck_easton says:

bird_spit,

An IR’d player is allowed to be at team headquarters to rehab. Part of that rehab can be attending meetings, watching film, working out with training staff and other players before/after practice.

So if there is an ‘injury’ that is serious enough to land a player on IR but not so serious that the player cannot continue to work out…

Not that this is EVER done, really. ;)

44. Harbutt had his talent handed to him after the previous coaches had trouble dealing with a young, talented set of individuals. So yeah Harbutt brought them together as a team, but he hasn;t shown an eye for obtaining talent, which bodes well for us long term.

PC and JS on the other hand, had little talent handed to them. They put a plan in place, and are excuting it before our eyes. Their ability to obtain talent from multiple resources will make a huge difference over time.

45. Seahawkfan78 says:

Perfectly said Skavage…

46. bird_spit says:

Skavage, I had that near exact point written out before but didnt send it. Your point is better written than mine anyway. Harb was handed a stacked team. It was stacked by the FO but coach hard-ass couldnt pull them together. I bet Fischer is able to properly coach up the Lambs as well. This won’t be a free division for our taking. It will be a great year for football up here in the damp emerald city. I’m guessing Pete C’s philosophy wins out eventually, and for the long term. This is a team of guys growing up together. The core will be very good going forward.

Prediction: Durham will either be gone or our IR’ed. I think Butler is gone. TO makes this team, as a faster surer handed, in shape Mike Williams. WR just became a group that looks good on paper..it was sad prior to TO.

47. Soggybuc says:

Well said Skavage. even Jerry the Hair needed the stupidity of Bobby’s relatives to achieve that turn around.
    As far as Hairbut!(snicker, I like that term) those folks are in for a huge let down!!!!!!!!
    you do not go from 6-10 to 13-3 to Superbowl champs!!!!!! uhuh!!! no Way!!, Ain’t hapunningening!

48. Just heard Hugh Millan say Flynn just played lights out at practice today. Sounds familiar with what they were sayin’ up in GB the week Flynn got all the reps with the 1′s before he started both his game. Said it was a complee turn around from last practices redzone drills which looked horrible. Also said if he didn’t know who #10 was, like he just walked into practice, he would have said he was a starting wide out for us, but also said Browner was givin’ it to him which was cool.

Skavage- True! Hard to believe that he could have drafted Baldwin and Sherman and didn’t.

50. Hammajamma says:

PTL. Not that Millan ever shows his bias, but that’s great to hear.

Stevos, what’s your answer to this?

ljarllrajl

Aug. 8, 2012 at 2:25 am

“2. “Does anyone remember T-jack ever making a clutch throw?”

If I remember right, Stevos, in the Atlanta game T-jack missed badly on an out pattern on 3rd and 8 with 8 seconds left to set up what Pete Carroll called an ‘historic’ 61 yard field goal…which was missed and we lost.

And against the Giants I seemed to remember T-jack throwing an interception just past midfield with about a minute to go in the half which allowed Eli Manning to get the ball back and score a TD to tie it up the score into halftime. Then if I remember right, it was Charlie Whitehurst who came in the second half to lead us to a come from behind victory.

Now either my memory is faulty or you don’t quite grasp the concept of ‘clutch’.

52. mojjonation says:

This has been Flynn’s job to lose since the day he was signed. Don’t fool yourself. T Jack has been on borrowed time since the first time he ran himself into a sack of muffed away a chance to win in the fourth quarter.

Hit the road Jackson and don’t you come back no more, no more, no more, no more.
    Hit the road Jackson and don’t you come back no more. (What you say?)
    Hit the road Jackson and don’t you come back no more.

Oh! Flynn, oh Wilson, don’t treat me so mean,
    You’re the two best qbs here that I have seen.
    I guess if you said so
    I’d have to pack my things and go. (That’s right)

Hit the road Jackson and don’t you come back no more.

Now Carroll now Schneider, don’t-a treat me this-a way
    Cause I’ll be back on my feet some day.

Don’t care if you do ’cause it’s understood
    You ain’t got no clutch, you just ain’t no good.

Well, I guess if you say so
    I have to pack my things and go. (That’s right)

Hit the road Jackson and don’t you come back no more.

54. bird_spit says:

A want that sung load and clear Saturday night…nice catchy tune.

55. bird_spit says:

TJACK is probably the toughest SOB on the team. Just watch the first five games again from last year. It will be remembered for a long time. I don’t think anybody would do well under that kind of pressure. But it won’t be the argument to keep him. It will be thr praises cast on him, as he leaves the VMAC for the final time.

56. IBGoofy says:

Thx Tru…. As I was reading down the comments, I started thinking outside the box, what if Flynn was “light’s Out” this sat? Me, like most of us, still don’t ‘really know’ what he’s capable of here in Seattle. We have good expectations, but always they are reserved….. What if he’s truly our answer! Makes ya wonder after your insight…. Wow!!!

57. IBGoofy says:

LOL!!! Thx Georgia!!!

58. HeinieHunter says:

Since the Hawks went from the AFC to the NFC I have missed having bitter rivals ( ie The Denver Donkeys and the Scum Sucking Raiders). FINALLY we have a rival that we can really hate with a passion, The Forty Whiners….including their coach, who is the biggest jackass in the league). I think that they lucked out with few injuries last year but the odds will catch up with them this year (and our Defense may inflict a few!) I cannot wait to kick their Bay Area Butts!! Go Hawks!!!

59. The Flynn Dynasty begins Saturday!

60. Interesting post, Soggy. Who was that from?? Yeah, I saw those games and replayed them a number of times. I don’t think that guy remembers things correctly. Its funny how people remember what they imagined, not what happened. So I went back and checked those games.

In the Atlanta game. Atl was touted as one of the best teams in the NFL, while Seattle’s O line had been pathetic the first four games and the running game nonexistent. TJack had the Seahawks in the game 28-30 for the final drive, after a game full of clutch throws.

During the final drive Tjack was 4-4 until the final play. With 16 seconds left, he dropped back and was hit immediately by a pass rusher who came free, unblocked. He released the ball while being hit and it fell incomplete. Some fans blamed TJack, as usual, but the Seahawks would not have been in the game without his performance.

TJack was 25/38 for 319 yds, 3 TDs, and spread the ball to 9 receivers, he was 6/11 on third down, and he was helped by only 37 team rushing yards in addition to his own 16 yards of scrambles. He also threw 2 INTs, but that will happen to a QB who has to carry the whole offense on his back for 60 minutes.

In the NYG game the next week (the game TJack was injured), Tjack did indeed throw a pick on a sideline route before halftime when Ben Obamanu got owned by the Giant’s CB. It was his a rare mistake in an otherwise excellent first half that had the Seahawks up 14-7 over the team that would eventually win the super bowl. Interesting that he blames TJack for “allowing Eli Manning to score”. Last I knew, it was the defense’s responsibility to prevent scores. Apparently, TJack was supposed to play D that series. lol.

As for Whitehurst, TJack had the Seahawks driving down the field in a 14-14 game when he was injured. Whitehurst took over and the drive stalled, and the team punted the next two drives. Whitehurst did indeed do a good job in the 4th quarter, throwing a TD, while Browner scored the other TD on a pick-6. On the day, Tjack had most of the passing yards, completions, and possession time for the Seahawks. The team did help him out, with 145 yards team rushing, although four of those rushes were TJack rushing to keep drives going. The Seahawks wouldn’t have even been in the game in the third quarter without TJack’s plays. But once again, Tjack gets none of the credit and all the blame, right?

In that game-and-a half, while Jackson was at QB, the Seahawks went 28-30 and 14-14 against two of the better teams in the NFL.

In the two weeks that followed, without TJack, they scored 15 total points against the Browns and Bungles.

But let’s be sure not to give any credit to Tarvaris Jackson. That would be crazy. He doesn’t know what clutch means. lol.

61. d’oh, sorry Soggy, I meant GeorgiaHawk. Thanks for reposting that and giving me a chance to vent and defend my man TJack.

62. ChrisHolmes says:

What an offeason…

63. ChrisHolmes says:

“But let’s be sure not to give any credit to Tarvaris Jackson. That would be crazy. He doesn’t know what clutch means.”

Taking a very small sample size of Jackson’s best work and using it to defend him as a starting QB in the NFL is a bit like taking a YouTube video of Snoop Dog when he’s sober and defending him as qualified to be president of the USA.

It just doesn’t fly.

64. Chris – who the hell defended Jackson “as a starting QB in the NFL”. I didn’t.

ljarllrajl said: “Does anyone remember T-jack ever making a clutch throw?”

I said: “Yes. Go rewatch the games against Atlanta and NYG from last season, for a start.”

ljarllrajl said “blah blah, make some stuff up about what really happened in the game, blame TJack”

I set the record straight about those games and clutch plays by TJack. Those games weren’t random – they were the 4th and 5th games of 2011, when Tjack was leading the team to their first good football of 2011, bringing the team together, and just before he was injured. After he came back and played injured he was not the same player. But the injured player is the one people remember. It was those games before the injury that are the relevant sample if you want to evaluate Tarvaris Jackson. Those two games are why Pete Carroll started the 2012 camp with Jackson as his #1.

65. ryanryan says:

all i know is i’d rather have T.O. than Tebow…

66. raymaines says:

TJacks injured pec didn’t affect his brain, and there was no reason to think a healed pec would help him to work through his progressions any faster or make better decisions. This has been a total waste of two weeks of training camp.

Not only that, but even though I haven’t seen pictures of his wife/girlfriend, I’ll wager she’s not as good looking as either MF or RW’s.

Geoux Seahawks.

67. Stevos, I agree TJ played well vs ATL, and he is one tough SOB, but he didn’t convert the 3rd & 8 that could’ve changed our season. And he didn’t come through in the clutch in so many other games.
    I expected him to scramble more, if his arm wasn’t right, maybe a pump fake and run for a clutch first down.
    Even freaking Alex Smith was more dynamic than Tjack at the end of games.
    And he didn’t win the Giants game, it took a CBJ TD and Browner pick six to pull off that upset.
    He just doesn’t have IT, and with Tjack we might hang around until crunch time, but either the beast or our beastly D will have to win it for us. I think we are ready for the next step in our evolution. Going from just hanging around until the end and being competitive, to dominating and making clutch football plays that result in W’s.

68. I wasn’t trying to re-debate last season. I was just setting the record straight in regards to some of the excellent games Tjack had last year. He also had some crappy games. But those who claim TJack never played well last year are plain wrong and should be corrected. TJack carved up ATL, NYG, and PHI last year.

While watching training camp practices this year I’ve said repeatedly that TJack came in this year with the opportunity to show he was better than the other QBs now that he’s healthy, and he failed. So, he’s being replaced.

Flynn and Wilson have a far better team to work with this year, so they should have far better results than TJack had, and many more wins. We’ll see.

69. bbnate420 says:

If we wanted to put one of these young WRs on the IR for 2012 to stash them away for next year, say Durham, wouldn’t he have to agree to that? Maybe he’d rather be released and try to catch on with another team? Although if he goes on the IR he does get paid.

I have NO doubt that TO will contribute if healthy and focused. The dude is a rare athlete and has always produced when healthy. Might not be able to be a #1 anymore, hopefully Rice holds up and he won’t need to be, but he can still be a very good #2 I believe. Hope he stays focused and humble. Getting rid of Rosenhaus and taking the #10 are good signs to me.

70. ljarllrajl says:

I never said T-jack didn’t play well ever, he did in a few games. But he never made a ‘clutch’ play that I can remember. The kind of play where you go ‘if T-jack hadn’t made that play we wouldn’t have won the game’. I remember the defense making those plays, and Lynch making those plays…but T-jack?

It’s also quite telling that I guy going into his 7th year in the same offense is not performing better than a first year guy and a rookie in that same offense.

I don’t hate T-jack, I just don’t think you win enough games to be good if he’s your starter. You need a guy who can make clutch plays.