Morning links: QB competition in focus

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 7, 2012 at 5:51 am with 79 Comments »
August 7, 2012 5:51 am
Seattle Seahawks quarterbacks Matt Flynn (15), Tarvaris Jackson (7) and Russell Wilson (3) attend NFL football training camp drills in Renton, Wash., Friday, Aug. 3, 2012. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

Dave Boling of The News Tribune offers an in-depth break down of Seattle’s three-way quarterback competition this morning, providing thoughts on Tarvaris Jackson, Matt Flynn and Russell Wilson’s strengths and weaknesses.

But ultimately Boling believes that Flynn will win the job.

Boling: It will be Flynn when the season starts. Jackson has shown he’s willing and able to be a solid backup. But I wouldn’t be surprised to see a limited roll-out package put in that could exploit Wilson’s skills as a change-up for a series or two as he learns what the NFL game is all about.”

Here’s my story on the Seahawks agreeing to terms with receiver Terrell Owens. The 38-year-old receiver isn’t expected to attend practice until Wednesday.

Brock Huard of ESPN 710 Seattle writes that there’s plenty to like about the Owens signing.

Jerry Brewer of the Seattle Times writes that the Seahawks bringing Owens in is a dangerous move, and wonders how much craziness are the Seahawks willing to digest.

Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com believes Seattle has the best shot to make the playoffs of the teams going through quarterback battles during training camp, including Tennessee, Arizona and Miami.

More Rosenthal: He believes that Pete Carroll is one of the few coaches with enough clout to handled Owens.

NFL Network analyst Heath Evans says that Terrell Owens could have an impact in Seattle in this video link.

Chris Burke of Sports Illustrated writes to get your popcorn – and maybe a few bottles of aspirin – ready with the arrival of Owens.

I talked about Seattle’s quarterback battle with ESPN 710 Seattle’s Bob Stelton and Dave Wyman in this audio link.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com writes that Golden Tate is one of the players that Carroll singled out as stepping up during the first eight days of training camp.

Morning links
  1. bird_spit says:

Good info from Eric’s article on TO:
    “Owens played with running back Marshawn Lynch in Buffalo, linebacker Matt McCoy in Philadelphia and defensive tackle Clinton McDonald in Cincinnati, so seeing those familiar faces could help ease the transition.

Owens also played with Seattle linebacker coach Ken Norton Jr. in San Francisco.”

Read more here: http://www.thenewstribune.com/2012/08/07/2245104/hawks-sign-to-to-1-year-contract.html#storylink=cpy

2. My how things change in so little time. I recall reading on this very blog how Rice – Tate – Baldwin were amidst the best in the NFL and one in particular said he’d take them over any other wr tandem in the league.

Since then, the Hawks have signed Bryant, Braylon and Brashness.

If Portland is ‘Rip City’, Seattle must be ‘Reject City’. I mean, how many former 49ers WRs (including Rice in his twilight) can we sign?

Ugh.

3. This (Edw/TO), could be as much about testing the Db’s as anything else. However I continue to be interested in the “big and fast” mantra as the “compete” drum beat. We now have both at Wr.

Another aspect is which Qb will mesh best with the above. At this point though the defensive control of the Wr’s should not be the reason the Qb’s falter in the red zone.

4. chuck_easton says:

I’m still not all in on the Owens thing. I’d better watch out or PC will trade my fan rights to another team! He doesn’t allow guys that aren’t totally in to stick around. :)

Peter King is another national guy that has visited the team at practice and has said that Flynn will likely win the starting job EVENTUALLY.

I think that is why PC/JS are still coy and ‘evaluating all the film’. They haven’t seen enough to tell them that Flynn has outright won the job and they don’t want to give the keys to Jackson unless they have to.

Come on Flynn. You have two more weeks of camp to go out and prove you are the man for he job. It’s yours to lose or they would have already named Jackson the starter.

Signing all these WRs, including Owens, isn’t about pushing the younger receivers, testing the DBs, or anything other than Seattle’s desperstion (yes, desperation) to field a capable receiving corp. They are clearly not comfortable or confident with what they have. I’ll be very interested to see how this unit develops over the course of this season.

6. chuck_easton says:

Duke,

I’m with you on this.

Lockette hasn’t shown the consistancy they were hoping for.

Durham isn’t ready, and I have a sneaking suspicion we will hear this week that his hip injury is just ‘severe’ enough to land him on IR for the season (stash him away for another year of seasoning and don’t lose his rights),

Tate is a wildcard. He’s either going to be great or he’s going to disappear. Problem is we won’t know which Tate will show up until it’s too late to fix the problem.

Rice is one broken something away from another season of playing half the games or less.

Baldwin was a real find last year. But he’s still only a 2nd year player. Can he do it two years in a row?

Obo is Obo. Solid ST player and adequate WR but he’s never going to make anyone forget about Largent or even Skansi.

Butler? Who knows. Quiet camp. But the guy weighs 170 Lbs soaking wet and with a pocket full of coin. Can he hold up?

Mike Williams said or did something pretty bad to get on Pete’s bad side. We will never know what it was because that’s not this team’s style, but it must have been epic to have the sudden showing to the door.

I wouldn’t be suprised at all to see Owens and Edwards both make the final roster.

Neither would I Chuck. I always felt Bryant was not going to make it. But Edwards and TO, injuries and / or attitude aside, will both be on the 53. At this point (before the first preseason game, so for what it’s worth…) if they keep 6: TO, Edwards, Rice, Baldwin, Lockette, and a Tate / Obo battle for the 6th.

Pretty solid group 5 years ago…

8. RDPoulsbo says:

I think I’m just burned out from the whole QB competition. Even now that TC has started, everything still feels the same as it did in April. There’s nothing observed and put in print that’s changed anything. All indications are Flynn will be the starter and they’re just going through the motions.

When I heard about the TO signing last night, I think I puked a little in my mouth. I just hope he gets about as much time on the roster as Bryant did. Still, it does sound like they need to find another WR out there with Lockette and Durham sounding like camp disappointments. I just wished they could have found someone else. There’s still time though. As the 1st preseason games get underway, trades may start to crop up.

9. chuck_easton says:

Speaking of trades, it is being speculated that there might be a willingness in Miami to shop Moore around and specifically to Arizona given Kolb’s performance/latest injury on Sunday night.

Maybe Seattle would consider another inter division trade? The DJack to SF didn’t come back to bite us. I don’t have to mention who I’m thinking about as I’m sure BobbyK has picked up the subtle telepathy in my suggestion.

10. pabuwal says:

But Chuck, why would Pete Carroll trade his starting QB?

11. Soggybuc says:

Can Flynn be one TD and one FG better than TJ? I think easily so because of faster progression reads and better anticipation. 2 more scoring drives a game also mean less TOP for your opponent and that takes at least on score off the board.
    We need more first downs regardless, that keeps the D on the bench resting longer and that elevates their play as well.
    Time of possession is very overlooked stat but it’s hard to find a team who wins while on the wrong side of it.
    The single best way to stop Brady and Rodgers is keep them on the sideline.

12. joereb – I believe that, if healthy, Rice/Baldwin/Tate are going to be a great trio moving forward. I never said they were the best trio in the NFL. I said I’d take them over almost anyone and I’m a homer on that. With the exeption of one player on this team that I absolutely despise (and two others I’m not overly crazy about), I love the heck out of all Seahawks and want them to do well and will believe in them. The signing of Owens keeps this unit (if he still has gas left) as a nice trio if Rice (cough) gets hurt. I can live with T.O./Baldwin/Tate and that would be an asset still, too. I’m sorry I love our top three and I’m sorry the front office wants to make sure it has depth after the big three (my big three). An awful lot of Tate hate on this blog and I’m going to enjoy reminding the haters when he kicks ass and contributes this season (and I’ll deservedly take the heat and criticism if he sucks).

13. chuck – that would be a dream come true! :)

14. RDPoulsbo says:

T-Jack honestly feels like a better fit in Arizona than in Seattle. I have a hard time thinking there would be an intra-division trade at this point though. It’s hard enough during draft day when time constraints can force unlikely trade partners. With the season so close now, it’s hard to see either side offering up ammo to beat them in the division race?

I personally would like to see Arizona twist in the wind with their Kolb mistake than give them the remote possibility that T-Jack could bail them out.

15. pabs – I have an easy answer for that! :)

16. Soggybuc says:

I’m with RD, let Wisendork live with the bed he made, even Fitz can only do so much to bail them out.

17. pabuwal says:

Jackson to TO – get used to it folks.

Just having TO and a healthy Rice makes Jackson “One TD better than a year ago.” Those comeback attempts against Washington, Arizona and SF suddenly become more palatable when you add those 2 to the equation. There were no WRs of either caliber at the end of those games. Now there are 2.

Or at least it will be substantially better than watching Obomanu drop game winning passes, Deon Butler/Tate struggle to get open or Tate draw a celebration penalty to get the other team back in the game.

18. Soggybuc says:

Not really Pabs, roll your safety over to the right and blanket T.O. and dare TJ to actually look to left side of the field. even if T.O. can beat the coverage by the time TJ waits for 3 yards of seperation to throw the ball the pass rush will have him on the ground first.

19. pabs – You’re right. T.O. would never have a celebration penalty to help get the other team back in the game.

20. For anyone who saw Kolb’s timid performance in the HOF game, there’s the reason right there why I like Carroll’s insistence on 3-way QB competition in camp. Right now, Kolb is the poster child for handing a QB job to a guy instead of making him earn it.

Three reasons not naming Flynn the starter is the right thing to do:

1. QBs are paid to compete and win. Flynn is being tested in the right way. If he can’t outcompete TJack and a rookie, win huge on the practice field when no one is hitting him, and earn the respect of his team mates by clearly being the best, then maybe he’s not a winner after all. Maybe he’s just another Kolb. At this point, Kolb’s career might be salvaged only by putting John Skelton #1 on the depth chart and forcing Kolb to fight for his job – but coming a year into Kolb’s tenure in AZ, its terrible timing for the Cards to be starting that now. Pete won’t give us coaching mistakes like that one; he’s doing this in the right order. Last year’s naming of Tjack as starter after the cancelled offseason was an anomaly, an emergency measure. Given time to prepare his team, Pete won’t name a starter who didn’t EARN the start.

2. Carroll knows adversity builds tough leaders. By placing TJack squarely in Flynn’s way, Carroll sent a direct message to Flynn: “this guy is tough, and he’s ahead of you; how tough are you?” TJack will never be a QB techniques coach, but last year he played with the chest muscle connected to his throwing arm torn, missed only two games, took the team to a 5-3 finish while injured despite a MASH-unit of a WR corps, never complained and hardly winced. That example of toughness that earned the respect of his team. If Flynn wants TJack’s job, he had better show all the toughness he’s got – this team expects it now.

3. On this team, the #2 job may be as important as the starting job. In the NFL this is almost never true. But Flynn has never demonstrated he can make it through an entire NFL season. Even if named the starter, its not a good bet that Flynn will play 16 games. TJack had never played more than 12 in a season before last year. Flynn has never played in two NFL games in a row in his life. What happens when he gets his by NFL D linemen 3 or 4 weeks in a row? No one knows. Flynn will start games this year and so will Tjack, because neither is likely ready to be a 16-game QB. The #2 QB might end up with as many starts at the #1. Both need to be ready, and honest competition will help get them both there.

21. Remember when Mr. Happy and Bo were talking really hard to the Eagles about trading for Kolb in their first off-season of work?

22. pabuwal says:

This is all true – but Kolb simply isn’t a very good player. He had a blazing first 2 starts with Philadelphia (I think they were among the best in NFL history for first 2 starts). Many people took those 2 starts to think he was the second coming. Fortunately, Ken Whisenhunt was one of those people and Carroll was not.

Andy Reid’s system and surrounding players masked Kolb’s numerous mental deficiencies that were not apparent in the statistics of his first 2 starts.

Beware of backup QBs having one or 2 great games in a great system with great surrounding players. It always makes sense to break down each play to figure out why they were successful rather than just grasping on to the fact that they were successful.

Should Jackson start (I say he will not. Regardless…) how many additional picks will he be good for, trying to force it into TO, simply to placate Owens’ attitude? 3? more?

24. iHateHarbaugh says:

I know I’m in the minority, but I really think he can help the entire receiver group raise their level of play. My gut instinct is also that the preseason games are going to reveal that Flynn is the career backup & Wilson is dynamic leader. Flynn was brought in to provide the competition @ the QB spot that Whitehurst couldn’t. They didn’t know they were going to draft Wilson when they signed Flynn. What I really don’t understand is all of the people who HATED Matt Hasselbeck now LOVE Matt Flynn..? Tell me how Flynn is, or will be, better than Matt Hasselbeck? I also think T.O. has more to do with Rice than most people are speculating. I think our young team while confident, will benefit from the additions of Owens & Winslow their telling them that they can, in fact, compete with any team in the NFL. This preseason is going to be AWESOME!!!!! #12thMan

25. pabuwal says:

I’ll take 3 more INTs with the 12 TDs Owens will bring to the table this year.

26. iHateHarbaugh says:

wow sorry for the grammatical errors lol

27. iHateHarbaugh — I like the comments, love the username.

28. pabs – Lets bet on T.O. having “12″ TDs for the Seahawks this season (most from Jackson).

29. pabuwal says:

I’ll take a bet that Owens has double digit TDs this year (10+), regardless of QB. We already have the QB bet going.

30. You didn’t say 10+. You said at least 12.

31. How can T.O. not help?If he screws up or does not play to an even higher standard then the receivers we have does anyone doubt Carroll will cut him in a heart beat.

I want a piece of that “12″ TD bet. Lol

33. I’ll do 10 TD if those 10 (or more) all come from Jackson.

34. GeorgiaRay says:

EW says: “…may ease the transition…” unless all those guys thought he was complete D-Bag, and as Duke said, ‘code red’ his arss…

35. 10:30 practice online should be great

36. WiscCory says:

Don’t the Hawks have to be ready to assume Rice is one concussion away from being done in the NFL? I think that’s yes, and the result of the current “despiration” signings. I’m trying to think of a player that fell into the recurring concussion pattern, and continued to play for a full season. Drawing a blank.

Perhaps the thought was some of the youthful WRs would step it up, as happened across the D last year, however it just seems not to be happening (other than Tate).

Regardless, Lynch and Winslow are the keys to Offense’s success this season, assuming Rice won’t be. Owens is just a pawn to open up the middle for our real playmakers. Owens fits the PC bill on “one my try”. Should be low risk. Plus, if Owens acts up, Winslow will just pound him into the ground.

37. Soggybuc says:

Honestly i can see this offense being TE heavy with Lynch, MikeRob could have a big year catching balls out of the backfield as well, that fall’s heavily into Flynn’s strenghts.

38. T.O. won’t get 10 TDs from all QBs combined. I would expect the role a 38 year old T.O. to include drawing coverage downfield and smacking CBs around until they are frustrated. Lynch, Winslow, and Baldwin will score the TDs.

39. God is good. Thankful. Grateful. To ALL my new teammates & the “12th Man”… Let’s Do This!!— Terrell Owens (@terrellowens) August 7, 2012

40. Let’s see how long his humility lasts … Hopefully at least until September.

41. Or February!

42. Sando: “2010 Terrell Owens 72 catches for 983 yards and nine scores outproduced any current Seattle wide receiver’s numbers from 2010 and 2011 combined.”

for reference:
    BMW 2010: 65 for 751 yds, 2 TD
    BMW 2011: 18 for 236 yds, 1 TD

43. no TO in the practice today

44. Watching training camp online. How long do they let you watch?

45. bird_spit says:

If TO gets 13 TD catches, he will match the career of Jerry Rice. Hears to hoping! Hope won’t win games :)

I am hoping TO makes the team better. I hope Tate explodes this year. I hope Baldwin repeats and adds to his performance in year #2. I hope Winslow stays healthy, along with Zack, because that dynamic duo will be huge. I hope PC finds his QB. I hope our defense has as many pick-6s as our highest scoring WR.

I hope Flynn locks in on the position on Saturday.

46. chuck_easton says:

cerjam,

It was already mentioned that Terrell (as Pete Carroll is already referring to him, not T.O.) will not join the team for practice until tomorrow.

47. They said they would give us an hour today which means we are about half way through. On Sunday they streamed the entire mock game.

48. Thanks, Pabs. This is my first time watching.

49. bird_spit says:

Why is Lockette not doing drills?

50. I posted this in another topic, but I’ll post it again here. It shows just how little actual production we’re likely to get from our WR group compared to our last few signings. We needed help at that spot,

TO last season with the Bengals(72 rec, 983 yards and 9 TDs) would have been the best season a Seahawk had since Bobby Engram in 2007 ( 94/1147/6). In comparison

Doug Baldwin last year 51/788/4
    Rice last TWO years 49/764/4
    Obo last Two years 67/930/6
    Braylon Edwards last TWO years 68/1085/7
    Tate last TWO years 56/609/3
    Butler last THREE years 57/611/4

51. Just got an (old) authentic Kenny Easley jersey in the mail and it fits! Favorite football player ever! Tied w/Dale Murphy for favorite athlete ever!

52. it was good to see Durham out there without a red jersey although I did not see him catch a pass.

53. RDPoulsbo says:

Lockette is currently limited because of a tight hamstring was the last I’ve heard.

54. Lynch, Winslow (Miller), Baldwin and hopefully Washington will play to Flynns strengths of anticipation, timing, and quickly checking down. If Rice can stay healthy, it will just add other demension to the offense. If not, I think Edwards will have a greater impact than Terrell (don’t think he will even make the final cut) to fill in. The Hawks D is scary too, and will definately win us some games. Yes, WR looks like a weakness, but I think a lot of people are forgetting about Winslow who can be extremely explosive and take some pressure off of Rice as being the only legit playmaker. Plus, if Tate lives up to his potential I think we will be all right. Finally, I don’t see Baldwin taking any steps back, the dude is a gamer. Go Hawks.

55. Peter King says Rice may not be ready for the start of the season.

56. “all of the people who HATED Matt Hasselbeck now LOVE Matt Flynn”

I like both. /some of the people

57. SandpointHawk says:

Rice got a piece of turf or something in his eye today as he caught a pass. All I could think off as he pulled his helmet off was ” Lord help us now he’s lost an eye”

Here is the link to King if anyone wants it..

58. bird_spit says:

Seahawks have all of the luck with fragile WRs.

59. jchawks08 says:

Uh, I know I’m not a regular, but can I get in on that 12 TD’s for T.O. action? I’ve never seen easier potential money. If it’s not clear, I’m taking the under on that.

60. pabuwal says:

This is a couple of days old from the Times but still says a lot –

Tarvaris Jackson began Sunday’s scrimmage the same way he started training camp: Taking snaps with the first-unit offense.

All part of the plan, said coach Pete Carroll. And while no one has been named starting quarterback, Jackson’s role in Sunday’s simulated game spoke for itself.

“He’s working with the first unit,” Carroll said. “I can’t make it any more obvious than that.”

61. Hawks85 says:

I’m going to grab a huge think of popcorn, and enjoy what is sure to be an incredible ride no matter who is at QB. I love the attitude players like Marshawn, Edwards, KW2, TO bring and that pretty much everyone on the roster has a huge chip on their shoulder. Can’t wait for the next Rob Report

62. Seahawkfan78 says:

Liz Mathews 710 ESPN ‏@Liz_Mathews
    Carroll said that #Seahawks QB Matt Flynn will be the starter on Saturday.

Let the premature gloating and freaking out (depending what side you’re on) begin.

63. Hammajamma says:

By all accounts Braylon had a big day today. Count me among those who believe heightened competition and a little buzz from national media can raise the level of play.

64. ljarllrajl says:

lol

there’s no way T.O. gets double digit TDs. Not in this offense and not with these QB’s. I’d put the over/under at 6.5 if he starts all 16 games.

65. chuck_easton says:

Further reports have Flynn playing the majority of the 1st half with Wilson playing the majority of the 2nd half on Saturday. The thought being the team already has enough film on Tavaris.

I don’t read anything into this other than ‘OK boys, put up or shut up.’ If both Flynn and Wilson lay the big goose egg on Saturday I expect Jackson to be the starter for pre-season game two.

Let the true evaluatons begin!

66. ljarllrajl says:

Flynn named start for 1st preseason game! Yea!

67. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

I hope that Tate doesn’t give up his number for T.O. Moreover, I want to see how T.O responds to that. I don’t want T.O. to feel entitled, and I hope that he has to earn everything from here on out.

68. chuck_easton says:

Tavaris- Tarvaris…that name just doesn’t want to come out of my fingertips spelled correctly (Freudian?)

Skip Baseless approves of the TO signing, and he further adds that he likes this Seahawk team.
    What do you think about that?

I say package Jackson, Tate, and Carpitt for Wallace, and a third round pick.

If Bayless likes it we’re in real trouble.

Flynn to start Saturday… Uh oh. Updated % forethcoming?

72. Fine with the Owens signing – I think We’re getting him at a good time in his psyche (knows he’s out of addtl chances, period), and I thin PC is as well suited as any coach to deal with him. He’s either productive, or he’s gone. He doesn’t have the superstar leverage he once did. As other have said, this signing is clear evidence of the weakness at this position, and also maybe a commentary on Rice’s health.

Glad to see Flynn is starting the first game too. Carroll doesn’t always tell us exactly what he’s going to do (and why should he), but I like his decision-making since he’s been our coach. I’m still very much in.

73. princeaden says:

I’d say with Rice going out with a piece of turf in his eye (oh Brother) any insurance is helpful. I’m starting to believe that Rice’s career will be over by week 5 due to concussions. That is, if he isn’t on the PUP list.

74. princeaden says:

Duke, was Flynn starting something that was reported or a guess on your part ?

In fact I would throw in Rice with that trade! He just doesn’t have the body type to withstand the physicalness of the NFL, imo.

76. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

I watched that clip on ESPN. I agree with the dude who says he wouldn’t want T.O. in his locker room. T.O. is caustic, I think that’s just who he is, and that he’s incapable of change. If I had my way I wouldn’t give him a chance to be in Flynn’s ear, or in Wilson’s ear. I just hope that Edwards makes the team and T.O. doesn’t.

77. DisplacedSeahawkFan says:

Branch, and now Rice. What is what Seattle receivers? Oh well, all of this turmoil almost guarantees that WR will be a position of emphasis in the Draft and in FA.

princeaden – Sorry, reported…

79. “Skip Baseless”