Morning links: ‘Turbinator’ ready for prime time

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 3, 2012 at 7:12 am with 25 Comments »
August 3, 2012 7:12 am
Seattle Seahawks running back Robert Turbin signs autographs on the first day of training camp. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

In my story today, one of the main storylines of Seattle Seahawks training camp has been the play of rookie running back Robert Turbin because of the uncertainty of Marshawn Lynch’s status to begin the season.

Lynch faces DUI charges in his hometown in Oakland, and could possibly face a suspension at the beginning of the season. However, the Seahawks have not made a move at running back for a couple reasons – they’re confident that Lynch will not be out long, if at all, and Turbin has looked good running the ball so far in camp.

Turbin says he does not feel any pressure if Lynch can’t go to begin the season.

“Nope,” Turbin said. “There’s no pressure. This is what I do. I’m a rookie, but I’m a professional football player right now, you know what I mean? So I’ve got to do my job. And my job is to right now back up Marshawn Lynch, or back up Leon (Washington). And so when my opportunity comes to get on the field, I have to just do my job and take advantage of the opportunity.”

Brian McIntyre of NFL.com notes that former Seahawks quarterback tells Eric Davis of the NFL Network that Matt Flynn will likely be the starter in Seattle. Moon:All these guys have the ability to play, but I think they brought in Matt Flynn to be their quarterback. I think before it’s all said and done, he’s gonna be the guy that starts day one, but (head coach) Pete Carroll created this competition, and they’re going for it in training camp right now.”

Tony Drovetto of Seahawks.com writes that second-year cornerback Byron Maxwell has looked strong in his first few days of training camp.

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times writes that Pete Carroll is pleased so far with the progress of receiver Ricardo Lockette.

Brock Huard of ESPN 710 Seattle says that the Seahawks receivers need to step their game up in this video link.

Brady Henderson of ESPN 710 Seattle writes that K.J. Wright is ready for a breakout season in his second season.

Kevin Calabro and Jim Moore of ESPN 710 Seattle talk to Golden Tate about his improvement in his third season in this audio link.

KJR’s Dave Mahler talks with safety Kam Chancellor about Seattle’s physical defense in this audio link.

Athlon Sports projects Seattle to finish third in the NFL West in this season preview.

Sean Peick of the New England Sports Network says Seattle’s three-way quarterback competition is the best position battle in the league.

Carroll tweeted a link to this video of Marshawn Lynch running in high school, and saying afterwards that he’s taking his offensive linemen to Sizzler. Check out the video below.

Morning links
  1. It’s fun having guys like Turbin to root for.

2. bird_spit says:

Marshawn maybe my favorite hawk. The dude has the same run style now, as he did in high school. This vegan is going to sizzler.

3. I tend to agree with Brock on the red zone struggles being Wr related. Brock is looking at this from a Qb’s bias of course but the recent additions of veteran Wr’s Bryant and Edwards adds much to his opinion.

Playing against a supposed top 5 defense(and maybe even better than top 5 DB’s), is a challenge for any offense starting NFL quality batteries at Qb and Wr. This early in camp adds to the difficulty on top of the ongoing Qb/Wr competition as it is not just a Qb battle.

The chemistry from reps is a ways away for the starting group and Rice not being involved only complicates the picture but something else is being glossed over here. Yesterday, by some reports, was just as difficult for the running group and that was no small component of the red zone effort that bogged down.

Turbin does look like a fine addition to back up Lynch but that he thinks he’s there to spell Washington seems more like the obligatory rookie speak. I have not yet handcuffed him in mock FF drafts, nor has anybody else I’ve witnessed, reality is untill he bangs away in preseason we really don’t know what we’ve got.

bird_spit – I noticed that too, about Lynch. That’s a great video.

I really like all three of Seattle’s backs: Lynch, Turbin, and Washington.

Turbin did say he was there to back up Lynch *or* Washington. Rookie speak perhaps, but also reality. I’m as excited to see him play as any other first year Seahawk.

5. chuck_easton says:

It’s OK bird_spit, stick to the salad bar! It’s all you can eat. Got me through undergrad.

6. Hammajamma says:

The Athlon piece states “there are far too many defensive shortcomings to expect more than gradual improvement.”

As we wallow in our own myopathy, it’s always interesting to get the perspective from outside the hard core followers of the team. The Athlon writer, however, is an idiot. The defense will not be the unit holding this team back.

7. hefferous says:

The Athlon Piece also has decided nobody is coming in second place in the West this year. They previewed Arizona as the #26 team in the league (Seattle is 21) and projected them to come in 3rd place in the NFC West as well. I wonder how much effort is really put into these projections.

8. bird_spit says:

Hamma – right on, I read that piece of garbage too. I was wondering what planet he is from. Now, Hawks 3rd in the division…hmm, we really need to wait for the games, but, if healthy we should contend for the title, but it wont be handed out. This division is probably in the top 3 in the league I could argue. SF is stacked. Seattle is ultra young, and stout defense. Arizona is aging, and in a real need to rebuild, but if healthy, and if Kolb earns his pay, anything could happen. One of these days, the Rams will surprise..this may be the year. (wait, stop laughing)..

9. WiscCory says:

Spit – I suggest we all stop laughing at the Rams. Jeff Fisher.

10. NYHawkFan says:

All of the positive reports about rookies and new acquisitions are good to hear, but the one position we’re concerned about the most–quarterback–the news is tepid. That’s a concern. True, the qb’s are getting limited snaps, but they need to pick it up or we’re going to be looking at another disappointing year.

11. Carlsonkid says:

One nugget gleaned from the Athlon article ; the Ravens coach naming Beast Mode as ” one of the top 2 or 3 running backs in the NFL ” … apparently we made an impression last year . Still love that replay of him juking Ray Lewis !

More Skittles please .

12. @mil_seahawkers I know! I’m excited for him. No matter who wins, I want them to decide soon so they can get the reps needed b4 the season.— Amanda Flynn (@aflynnie) August 2, 2012

13. That’s a tweet from Matt Flynn’s sister, who seems to be following the training camp action on the choppy feed at Seahawks.com

14. Excited for tomorrow as Cortez Kennedy becomes only the third defensive tackle in the last twenty years to get inducted into the Hall of Fame. He played his entire career in Seattle, joining Steve Largent with that distinction. He was the greatest player to wear the blue during a dismal decade for us diehard Hawk fans. This will be a great day.

Bates is going to make the team and master the WR position!

Yes I really do think that Bates can become a poor mans Anquan Boldin.

They are about the same size and catch just about everything in sight. Bates has nothing but upside!
    My pick for this years Baldwin award.

This from Field Gulls-

“Phil Bates was impressive. We’ve talked about him here already quite a bit and he lived up the hype that I’d been hearing about him. He made several high-difficulty catches falling out of bounds on Saturday in 11-on-11 drills, and in what’s usually a very good sign, was targeted very frequently. He had a drop here or there over the two days, but overall I thought he really looked strong as a receiver, ‘didn’t shirk going over the middle’ as Rob Rang recently put it, and moves very, very well for a guy his size. At 220 pounds, he looks more like a small linebacker or safety than a receiver and his size, coupled with his speed, makes him a likely candidate for special teams duty. As I’ve stated before, this makes him infinitely more valuable to the team as a back-of-roster receiver, because the more jobs you can do for a team, the better chance you have at sticking. From what I understand, he was also working out with the kick/punt return units on Monday so that’s encouraging to hear.

Overall, I really do think Bates has a shot at the roster — it’s an outside shot and will ultimately come down to the Seahawks’ desire to hold on to veterans like Ben Obomanu and Deon Butler, but if the team decides to go with a cheaper player with more years of club control to his name, Bates is a definite option. Also important, I do think he’s got the versatility to play inside or outside, which certainly helps.”

17. Soggybuc says:

Am I the only one drooling over the chance to see Turbin and those Biceps land a “baby stiff arm”? Where’s Tracy Porter when you need him?

18. No. You’re not the only one drooling over it.

If it weren’t for my heart being set on buying a #15 or #3 jersey (depending the winner of the competition), I’d be leaning towards a Turbin jersey (which is saying something with my man crush on Richard Sherman – already have the Sid Rice “shirsey”). And, please, nobody ask about a #7 if he wins – I’ll shoot myself before that would ever happen (which means some of you may root for that… lol).

19. SandpointHawk says:

Wouldn’t want you to shoot yourself so I’m keeping my mouth (fingers) closed…

Those aren’t biceps, those are footballs! How did he get them in there? Lol.

21. I wonder what Eric’s Roster Analysis for the WR position is going to look like. Something like this:

Wide receiver
    Number kept last season: Six
    Currently on roster: 63
    Average number kept since 2008: 5.25
    Locks: Sidney Rice, Doug Baldwin, Golden Tate.
    In the hunt: Kris Durham, Deon Butler, Ricardo Lockette, Ben Obomanu, Phil Bates, Braylon Edwards
    Longer Odds: Antonio Bryant, Charly Martin, Jermaine Kearse, Lavasier Tuinei, Raymond Webber and the other 49 WRs on the roster.

Soggybuc – Clearly not, if you’ve been reading mine and Srevos posts regarding Turbin. lol.

23. bbnate420 says:

Not sure I’d admit to drooling over a dudes’ biceps. ;-)

24. Macabrevity says:

Didn’t read the Athlon article, but that’s a classic. I remember way back when there weren’t too many options in the way of off-season reports (football rosters, etc.) and we always read Street and Smiths, until Athlon’s came out with glossy paper and great pics. Sure loved it then, but seems to have gone straight downhill over the years.