Morning links: K.J. Wright a star in the making?

Post by Eric Williams on Aug. 2, 2012 at 7:00 am with 34 Comments »
August 2, 2012 7:00 am
Chicago Bears running back Kahlil Bell (32) is tackled by Seattle Seahawks linebacker K.J. Wright (50) in the first half of an NFL football game in Chicago, Sunday, Dec. 18, 2011. (AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh)

Dave Boling of The News Tribune gives us an interesting profile on Seattle Seahawks linebacker K.J. Wright, who in his second year already has developed into one of the leaders on defense.

As we wrote about earlier this week, Wright set the tone on Tuesday’s practice, the first one in pads, by putting a couple players on their backsides. Boling points to Wright as the one player on the Seahawks on the verge of emerging as a star.

“I’m very comfortable now,” he said. “I know the scheme, I know what the coaches expect of me, and I’m just trying to develop as a player; to understand more route combinations and make more tackles and more sacks and become a total package.”

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com continues his count down to Cortez Kennedy’s induction into the Hall of Fame this weekend by talking with Warren Moon about the former Seahawks defensive lineman. Moon: “He deserves to be in the Hall of Fame. He was one of those guys that was a game changer. You always had to worry about how to block him on the inside because he was going to clog everything up and make it tough for you to run the football, and he could get to the passer.”

More Farnsworth: Pete Carroll sings the praises of rookie defensive end Bruce Irvin.

Tim Booth of the Associated Press writes that cornerback Richard Sherman is ready for his second season in the NFL.

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times writes that there’s a lot less drama in Year 3 of Camp Carroll, with a lot less roster movement and only a few positions besides quarterback, like the No. 2 wide receiver and middle linebacker up for grabs.

Gregg Rosenthal of NFL.com writes that with the addition of veteran receiver Braylon Edwards, third-year pro Golden Tate is under the gun for Seattle.

Brock Huard of ESPN 710 Seattle says the quarterback competition is Matt Flynn’s to lose in this video link.

Writing for the National Football Post, former NFL player Jeff Nixon wonders why wearing a mouth guard is not mandatory in the league.

Brian Billick of Fox Sports gives us a preseason report on the Seahawks in this video link.

Morning links
  1. pabuwal says:

Funny how that 1997 team had a number of Hall of Famers that put up pretty good years – Moon, Jones, Kennedy and possibly Mawae.

If only Dave Arnold could have done his job and that division wasn’t so dominant.

2. The Seahawks POTENTIALLY have 10 Pro Bowl-caliber players: Earl Thomas, Kam Chancellor, Brandon Browner, Richard Sherman (the entire secondary), K.J. Wright, Chris Clemons, Brandon Mebane, Russell Okung, Marshawn Lynch, and Sidney Rice.

Several other candidates too. With some solid quarterbacking and some luck on the injury front, this team could go deep in the playoffs. Yes, I’m being optimistic, but when was the last time the Seahawks had such a solid core of young talent? Save for the quarterback position and the offensive guru on the sideline, this team has fewer weaknesses than the ’05 Super Bowl team. (I’d like someone to do a position by position comparison and prove me wrong.)

It was the final preseason game, last year against the Raiders where Wright and Smith played so well together, that I really became a fan of KJ. He is going to be a special player. And the way they used him toward the end of the season, to rush from Sam, reminded me of how Green Bay uses Matthews. Wright is versatile and smart. He ought to have many pro-bowls in his future.

4. seahawk44 says:

Canfan, they must prove it on the field.

5. I’ve been wanting to get a new hawks jersey, but kind of felt that my frame was too big for Earl and not lean enough for Kam. KJ just may be the choice as I’ve so badly wanted a LB that I could get fired up about, not to mention how nice it’d feel to be ‘Wright’ all the time.

I’m on the hunt for a custom 50 jersey.

GO HAWKS!

6. psoundpowerhouse says:

I wan’t to see the Seahawks have the #1 ranked defense!
    And be able to ground and pound on offense!
    Mess around and win a freak’in Superbowl!
    Thats all.

joreb – KJ is on my short list for a jersey this year too. He and Kam are the front runners. lol

8. Macabrevity says:

The thing that makes K.J. that much more awesome is the player he replaced, and all the expectations we had for that now nameless honeybucket. We can pretty much shrug our shoulders over that ill-begotten draft blunder and not even care. It might be different if we were still wondering how we’d fill that role.

9. I am going with the winner of the Flynn/Wilson derby.

10. SandpointHawk says:

Come on Bobby, go for the winner of the QB derby period.

11. shorty10 says:

Don’t forget about Irvin as potential pro-bowl. On this defense, and with his crazy speed, I see him putting up Aldon Smith like numbers. He’s a ruthless QB chaser.

12. Sand – no way in hell.

13. psoundpowerhouse says:

Yeah, that honeybucket was the 4th selection in the first round.
    I wonder if there’s a way to equate just how much that set us back as a team.
    Painful.

14. WiscCory says:

Just got my Bears/Hawks tix for Dec 2. :)

Now thinking about a trip to Toronto shortly thereafter.

Screw NFL Ticket this year – spending the money to go in person!

15. What part of WI are you from?

16. Soggybuc says:

Actually that mistake at the 4th overall doesnt seem to have set the team back all that much.
    Thats the thing, if you wiff on a high 1st and draft poorly in the latter rounds it’s a killer.
    But PC/JS are drafting so well in all of the rounds as well as finding great UDFA’s the team keeps moving upwards and not looking back.
    If Carp does turn out as a complete bust it really won’t matter because the likes of Giacomini, Sweezy and Rishawn Johnson etc. mean the line is still deeper and stronger than when he was drafted.
    If you look at the Patriots they haven’t been a great team for the last decade just because of Brady and Welker, the are great because Billy has kept that roster loaded with talented players at every position.

17. WiscCory says:

SE portion – on Lake Michigan near the IL border.

I get to watch all the Bear/Packer battling up close and personal.

18. WiscCory says:

Soggy – I wonder if the PC RFA nuggets will start to diminish in coming years. Right now we’re still reaping the benefits from his recruiting days at SC.

19. Soggybuc says:

Thats a great point but I think it’s bunk, it’s not just that they have some inside knowledge but more that they look at guys and see a something specific that fits the mold they are looking for.
    Irvin is a great example of that. most teams looked at him and saw a players who might struggle with the run and only be a 3rd down player. but PC saw a guy who could tear up a passing down. he has Red for the run game.
    The NFL tends to be a copy cat league and everyone does what the other guy is doing. Pete bucks that on every front and does what he wants to. no one liked Kam because they saw a small LB, Pete saw the second coming of Easley/Lott who has the last laugh now.

20. Sparky12 says:

Just viewed the Brian Billick @ Fox Sports link above and he says he does not think Seattle did enough via the draft and free agent signings to improve our game against the 49ers. ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME? And he also takes the Seattle FO to task for last years first round pick of Carpenter, saying he was a bust, without factoring in that he was hurt and could not finish his season. Just more East Coast biased BS! Man, I hope we blow SF right out of any chance of reaching the post season. GO Hawks!

21. jchawks08 says:

I tell ya, I’m as optimistic as any Hawks fan, but have learned to reign it in over the last few years. All I hear from the ‘experts’ including John Clayton yesterday is that this is a 7-9 (seven to nine) win team. None of these guys think this is a 10 win team. Do I think they’re full of it? Yes. I see this potential top 5 defense and a game manager QB such as Flynn and think why the hell can’t we win 10 games minimum. But again, NONE of the experts think this. Why should we? What are we seeing that these guys are all missing?

22. Cory – I’ll actually be pretty close to you on October 20. Nebraska plays at Northwestern. Ryan Field can’t be too far from you. I like Nebraska so that’s a good game to go to (instead of driving home on Sunday and missing the Seahawks game, the ‘Hawks play on Thursday this weekend! The best of both worlds!).

23. For the record, now that Carp is a guard, I believe that everyone is going to love the pick next year. I would have hated on it if they would have kept him at RT.

24. I think Winslow and Edwards (if he can get the O down) could also be probowlers, esp. Winslow, Flynn checking down to his ass for some 1st downs. Also, don’t count out Leroy out at LB, not as a probowler, but as a playmaker.

25. Love it Duke! Kam is the closest thing to Easley we’ve ever had, great choice as well. Would love to get all geeked out in our Hawk gear and meet y’all for a game (or two). Maybe the TNT has a section that we could make a staple for every game (there’s the ad guy in me). :-)

26. bbnate420 says:

Billick isn’t all that bad as an analyst, but every time I have seen him this offseason he seems to be down on the Hawks. There are reasons to doubt them, but their drafting record isn’t one of them IMO. I haven’t seen him criticize the Bears for drafting Carimi. He’s as much of a bust as Carp at this point. Calling any draft pick, especially if they were injured, a bust after one season is just stupid.

It’s also funny to me that Billick criticizes them for not having an entrenched QB yet. That’s the exact reason he’s not coaching anymore. He couldn’t sign/draft a decent QB. He did sign Dilfer but promptly showed him the door after winning a SB. How’d Kyle Boller work out for ya, Brian?

27. bbnate420 says:

Even ME, joreb?

28. Absolutely man! At the end of the day, we’re all rooting for the same team.

joreb – The two games I know I’m going to are Dallas and Green Bay. I would love to get a group for either or both. After those early, I’d like to go to SF and NE.

30. The difference between Carimi and Carp up to this point is that Carimi looked very good when he was playing. Yes, technically, both have been busts because of the injury situation last year. However, if you had a choice between two generic players that got hurt in their rookie seasons, I’m pretty sure everyone here would want the one that looked better when they were healthy.

31. steffonator says:

Thanks again guys for the info we don’t get from the media..

Steff

32. Don’t think I’ll be able to pull of the MNF vs GB (as much as I’d like to), but Dallas is definitely a possibility. I’ll know more as we get closer and would love to hook up with a bunch of you guys for a beer or two.

Let’s touch base as we get closer.