Barron on the rise

Post by Dave Boling / The News Tribune on Aug. 2, 2012 at 1:01 pm with 14 Comments »
August 2, 2012 1:01 pm

As the Seahawks worked to build depth on the offensive line, most of the attention went to the signing of Deuce Lutui and even Frank Omiyale. And both have looked solid and worth the investment. Somewhat under the radar, though, was the pick-up of free agent tackle Alex Barron.

Barron, the 19th player taken in the 2005 draft, is likely considered a bust. In his five seasons with the Rams, he was the most penalized player in the NFL. False starts, holding, you name it. They finally traded him to Dallas, where he again was noted for untimely penalties. He landed in New Orleans last year, but was on IR, leaving his career in serious doubt.

Seattle gave him a tryout and then a contract. The main reason is obvious. He’s a lean and muscular 6-7, 320, with the kind of in-human arm span that makes some guys first-round draft picks. In OTAs and minicamps and early in training camp, he’s been mostly going with the third unit at left tackle.

But it’s apparent he’s earning more of the staff’s trust with his work in practice. His physical gifts and skills are particularly obvious in one-on-one pass protection drills. He’s got a wide, balanced set-up, good feet and powerful hands. When he latches onto a guy, his play is over.

Thursday, with the team in full pads, Barron was given time with the second unit at right tackle, behind starter Breno Giacomini. And three straight plays, Barron was asked to block speedy rookie first-round pick Bruce Irvin. Barron’s drop was quick enough, and punch so powerful, he dropped Irvin to his knees on the first snap. The next two, Irvin went with a spin move to the inside, and Barron stonewalled him. Those were  extremely impressive efforts against a player who is young, yes, but is going to be a real nightmare for a lot of tackles in the league.

The big question, of course, is whether Barron can follow the rules. That is the sort of thing he’s going to have to show in the preseason. If he can bring that maturity to his game, the Hawks may have found an extremely valuable back-up swing tackle at a bargain price.

1. FleaFlicker says:

Speaking of the O-Line…thought it was kind of a bummer that none of them were featured on the new game tickets. Only offense players were Baldwin, Rice, and Lynch for that matter.

2. gramsci says:

Dave, does Lutui have a chance to unseat Moffitt at right guard? How is Lutui adjusting to Cable’s zone-blocking system?

3. pabuwal says:

Should I be more concerned about Irvin after reading this or more favorable on Barron?

I couldn’t care less how physically gifted an o lineman is, can’t have penalties. Especially on this team that had a significant problem with them the past two seasons.

5. Dave Boling says:

I think Lutui could step in for Moffitt and there wouldn’t be a drop-off. Long-range, though, I’m sure they’d love to have Moffitt be a fixture at the position. Relative to the back-ups they’ve had across the line in recent seasons, Lutui is a gem.

About Irvin, no, don’t be concerned. I frankly think he’s really progressing. I thought it took a while for him to get his feet under him in OTAs, but he’s really come on and looks more comfortable. It seems like he’s learning and getting to the places he needs to be — and I think he’s looked better than expected in situations other than pass rush. What I see from him that is rare (and valuable) is his cornering ability. I’m using that for lack of a better term. He can really get low as he leans around that tackle with an edge rush, but not lose his speed as he does it.

Dave – Thanks, good stuff. As a follow up: has Irvin solely been a hand-in-the-dirt DE or have they stood him up (either end position)?

7. I’ve seen Barron in many games where I was so happy that he was on the other team that I cringe at the thought of him playing for us (no matter how talented he is). Sure, maybe he needed a change of scenery, but you’d think he wouldn’t need more than 6-7 years and 2-3 different organizations for the light bulb to finally click. There’s always a chance, but I’m still skeptical.

8. steffonator says:

Real good posts, thanks for the info on these guys…

Steff

9. Palerydr says:

My random observations from todays practice

Pete throws a nice tight spiral

Winslow is really quick

Thomas’ jersey seems to be the most popular

The team only spent about 15 mns on tackling that’s a concern for myself

In warmups Wilson was throwing the ball high a lot

Norton runs like he’s crippled but you can definetly hear him on the field

Lynch/Washington/Turban all run through arm tackles

The defense flows to the ball well as a unit on run plays

Lockette made a nice catch from Flynn in the corner of the endzone got some applause from the crowd then hammed it up for the fans. He really likes the attention

Tate had a really nice grab from Wilson I think but he was out of bounds still he got some really nice air to make the grab.

Deon Butler got the corner for a really nice gain on a reverse

Lumpkin made a nice grab from Wilson on an outlet pass for a nice gain

The Defense stuffed the Offense in redzone drills I don’t remember a single score

I had to leave before practice was over but these were some of the things I saw. Hard to focus on one thing as stuff is happening at both ends of the field at the same time.

10. Soggybuc says:

Irvin should be getting stonewalled by veteran tackles at this point. if he’s learning from it he will only be that much better. besides it’s not as if the best pass rushers win every battle and get 10 sacks a game. 2 or 3 would be fine with me.

11. bird_spit says:

Irvin gets multiple hurries and a 3/4 sack a game, it’s pro bowl time.

12. bird_spit says:

I have to wonder how an opposing tackle is going to feel by 4th quarter after dealing with the quick moves of Irvin on pass downs, and dealing with Red for the rest of the game. It has to wear you out having to handle that all day. Besides, Red is a heck of a lot fresher in the game. Irvin, as a specialist, is just warming up by th time the 4th Q starts. It’s going to be fun to watch the hawks this year.

13. raymaines says:

I love hearing good things about the Seahawks, but this is happening in a vacuum so to speak. I’m anxious to see how good everybody looks when there is a different uniform on the other side of the line.