Quick camp update

Post by Dave Boling / The News Tribune on July 29, 2012 at 1:08 pm with 14 Comments »
July 29, 2012 1:08 pm

I focused mostly on the line play today. This was one of those days when they shuffle guys around a little bit to see how combinations look. The big move was using Deuce Lutui at right guard with the first unit and John Moffitt as a backup center. Don’t read much into it in terms of the actual depth chart. What it demonstrated, though, was that Lutui looked pretty comfortable in there. He also looked strong in one-on-one pass drills.

Those drills had a few surprises today, too. While Bruce Irvin was studly Saturday, he didn’t get much duty Sunday. Rookie Greg Scruggs (Louisville) flat backed Rishaw Johnson once and then just beat him soundly the second time.  Clinton McDonald likewise owned Lemuel Jeanpierre. Highlights for the offense, meanwhile, was a surprising stonewalling of Brandon Mebane by rookie JR Sweezy. Mebane didn’t like it much, and came back with a devastating move.  Alex Barron  showed well against Pierre Allen. Since some have asked, Barron has been spending time as a backup at left tackle. The guy still has the look of a first-round left tackle.

Eric will be in shortly with a broader update. My other quick impressions: I thought Flynn separated himself a little, showing a nice sense of timing and connection with Doug Baldwin. But Wilson, again, looked dangerous when plays break down and buys second chances. Golden Tate came up with some big catches.

1. NYHawkFan says:

Thanks Dave! Good to hear about Scruggs & Sweezy. Sounds like they have some real potential.

2. Macabrevity says:

Awesome stuff. Love the rooks coming up big.

3. Nice to read the Flynn comment. It’s comforting (albeit just a little).

4. I got a chance to go to VMAC today. Ahh, training camp… when QBs get to wear red and play ptich-and-catch without fear of being hit… when every WR catch looks like a TD… when every leaping catch by Goldenboy Tate looks like an ESPN highlight… Its hard to judge a lot from such an early camp practice, but I’ve been to more than a few of these over the years, and here’s my amateur take on what I saw.

I don’t think the QBs can distinguish themselves much in one practice like this with no pass rush pressure, young WRs learning routes and little press from the CBs… They all looked good (except Portis who had no throws). As you might expect, all three QBs in the competition made some impressive throws. Flynn showed a few more touch passes than the others, plus a couple of wobblers in warmups. Wilson fires the ball with the most authority, but occasionally forced it and had some balls bounce off WR hands.

Lutui replacing Moffitt at RG was a surprise. Moffit seemed limited in snaps – at C and RG with 2nd and 3rd O lines. Lutui is a load. We have unreal depth if he is only a backup G on this line.

WR catches get most of the attention in a practice like this. Obo’s crisp routes and catches stood out to me. Durham and Bates and Butler all had their share of nice catches. And Turbin showed some good hands. Lockette got a lot of work at the X, showed a feel for working along the sideline, and I didn’t see him drop one. Liked it.

As usual, Tate had some great acrobatic catches (against some pretty relaxed coverage). But we see this in camp every year. I’ll believe that Tatertots “has arrived” as soon as I see him beating press coverage on third down in regulation time.

All in all, it was an early camp practice. In the immortal words of Allen Iverson: “Practice… We’re talkin bout practice. We’re not talkin bout the game. We talkin bout practice.”

Smart move by Flynn to team up in the off season down in Florida with Baldwin.

6. Barron could be the steal this year at Back-up LT or RT!

7. bbnate420 says:

From what I saw on Seahawks.com this morning, which wasn’t a lot, I was impressed with Flynn, Tate, and Baldwin as well.

8. Lockette!

9. Stevos thanks for the update. Would you say those passes that Wilson threw that bounced off receivers hands were more of Wilson not showing enough touch on shorter passes, or more that the receivers are just not used to the velocity his arm creates?

Nice update Stevo.

11. Skavage, Wilson throws the ball with a lot of velocity and it looked maybe hard to handle a couple of times, so maybe he’s trying to demonstrate his arm strength to coaches or maybe he’s just learning and thinking a lot and not very relaxed yet. I wouldn’t too read much into it. It was just noticeable that Wilson really fires the ball and Flynn threw a softer touch pass when he wanted to.

Thanks Duke. You should get up to the VMAC sometime, you would probably see a lot of interesting things.

12. I meant “I wouldn’t read too much into it.” lol.

13. Dave, thx for the OL insight… was hoping we’d get some updates there… That’s such a key area for us…
    Stevos! Nice job! Respect your savy, so was a great read….
    Like many, I’m another looking for as many insights as possible….

14. nidhighe says:

I feel bad for Portis. He showed some potential last year, and this year he’s a glorified mannequin.