Highlights from Day 2 of training camp

Post by Eric Williams on July 29, 2012 at 2:31 pm with 38 Comments »
July 29, 2012 3:04 pm

As Dave Boling mentioned in the previous post, I thought Matt Flynn and the rest of the quarterbacks looked better today.

Specifically, Flynn did a nice job of making quick reads in the two-minute drill, and he appears to have developed a nice rapport with Doug Baldwin, one time checking down to Baldwin on a hot route when he read the blitz coming.

Golden Tate was the player of the day in my opinion. Yes, we’ve seen this before from the Notre Dame product. Every year he seems to make some acrobatic catches during training camp. But the difference here is something Sidney Rice noted in the video above, when we talked to him – no celebrations afterward.

Tate is taking a Barry Sanders approach to big plays – hand the ball back to the ref and jog back to the huddle. So there appears to be an expectation to make thes kinds of plays on a regular basis.

I thought Ben Obomanu also had a nice day today catching the ball, running precise routes and reeling in a couple tough catches. Tate played split end with the first unit, while Obomanu played flanker.

Rice was in a regular jersey today, but he did not participate in any of the one-on-one passing drills or team portions of the passing game. So Seattle head coach Pete Carroll is continuing to take a conservative approach with Rice.

Rice also said he’s taking on more of an assertive leadership role with the receiver group now that Mike Williams is gone.

Offensive lineman Rishaw Johnson was carted off the field at the end of practice, but I didn’t see what type of injury he had.

Linebacker Barrett Ruud got his first reps of training camp, working with the third unit at middle linebacker. And cornerback Byron Maxwell got on the field as well, although he got tangled up with receiver Lavasier Tuinei and had to take some plays off.

I thought Robert Turbin showed a nice feel for the zone running scheme today, cutting back to daylight several times for decent gains. Offensive line coach Tom Cable was in Turbin’s ear several time today after the play was over, coaching the Utah State product up as he made his way back to the huddle.

Also, I thought Tarvaris Jackson played with more urgency during the two-minute drill and appeared to get rid of the ball quicker. Jackson played with the first third unit today, while Russell Wilson handled the second unit and Flynn worked with the first unit.

That’s all for now.

1. Eric can you give us a quick clarification? When you say Jackson played with the 1st unit today and Flynn also, do you mean they split reps? And if so, then did Russel Wilson end up getting a bunch more reps than either Jackson or Flynn, even though the were 2nd unit reps?

Thanks!

2. Skavage: Sorry about that. Jackson played with the third unit today. It’s been corrected. All three QBs got about the same amount of reps.

3. Ahhh ok. Thanks Eric!

4. Pabs, what’s your re-re-re-re-re-revised odds on the QB competition?

5. Golden Tate is ready for his breakout year. He played well the last five games of 2011, and he’ll hopefully keep playing well.

Glad to see that Flynn played well today.

I’ll be convinced Tate is making real progress when he’s making routine catches, with regularity. To me, that will indicate he’s becoming a better route runner and is getting separation.

Eric, did Wright continue to slide to Mike in nickel? Thanks.

7. HawkyHann says:

Did Rudd look worthless or is there some gas left in the tank ? How many braces was he wearing?

8. bbnate420 says:

There is no Rudd.

9. HawkyHann says:

Ruud had his first reps according to Eric’s notes

10. I’m so excited for Rice, Tate, and Baldwin this year! I love that trio!

11. Dukeshire: K.J. Wright continues to work at Mike backer in nickel.
    HawkyHann: I thought Ruud looked solid for the first time playing. No knee braces that I saw.

12. So if things go as planned I think I should be seeing Wilson with the #1 unit tomorrow! I can handle that!!

I found it interesting that when TJ was with the #1 no real difference but when MF was there was a difference – just sayin!

13. fingers crossed that bobbyk is right about Tate – we could really use him. he’s shown us that he can be electric after the catch. it’s the running the routes, getting open, and hanging onto the ball that’s key for him. with the ball in his hands he reminds me some of percy harvin.

hoping he steps up.

14. Seahawks2620 says:

A few questions, if anyone who is familiar with the situation would care to answer them please.

- How has Kellen Winslow looked, mobility wise?
    - How has Jason Jones looked, in regards to his pass rush?

A few of my own observations:
    - Everyone appears to be in great shape, particularly the WR corps.
    - Tate has a different demeanor about him this year.

Everyone can say what they want, and attemp to rain on my parade with the it’s training camp and it’s early crap. However, I could care less. I am extraordinarily excited about the potential and progression of this team. I am also banking on Tate blossoming into an elite playmaker this year. I think the WR position on this team will end up turning a few heads this year, barring any injuries. I can’t wait for the preseason!

Thanks Eric

16. ruminator1 says:
  17. HawkyHann says:

Thanks, Eric. Good to hear Ruud was missing the knee braces. Would be a plus if he can contribute this season and provided depth.

18. Nice read: I found this interesting and not surprising at all!

“Miller was exceptional with some nice sideline catches, and key blocks. I hope he has a bounce back season from last year, it seems every QB but Tarvaris Jackson throws to him, he can work the seam very well and can get open deep, i see him bouncing back.”

ruminator – Thanks for that. Quite a report. He had some very interesting things to say about Tate and Durham. And it looks like McDonald is getting so much time because Branch is dinged. Thanks again for passing along.

20. raymaines says:

It’s so easy to get caught up in the excitement and wish for tomorrow, next week or next month. I have to take a deep breth and simply enjoy the second day of training camp. I’ll let day three take care of itself.

21. I think Golden Tate is the exact opposite of the guys we used to call “Gamers”. Tate shows up for practice but until he does something consistently in games I’m inclined to yawn everytime I read a report about his great practice catches. I wouldn’t be upset if we traded him. Maybe trade him and a 6th to Pittsburgh for Wallace. THAT would make my day…assuming we could sign Wallace to a long term.

22. Seahawks2620 – Kellen Winslow did not touch the ball today or put on a helmet, that I saw, but he was hanging with the other TEs throughout warmups and practice. I’m assuming this is one of those days of rest Coach Carroll said he’ll periodically give Winslow to save his knees.

23. I know I’ve dissed Tate a bit, but I think he is likely ready to break out this year. His biggest challenge may be that in order to get more targets he’ll need to play at SE – which might not be his natural position. He’ll be a great story to watch for sure.

24. Seahawks2620 says:

Stevos- Thank you.

25. bbnate420 says:

Very detailed report. I’m a little weary of it, because he seemed to be super positive about everyone but Tate and Durham. A little too optimistic to take completely seriously IMO.

26. Well if Tate is taking plays off – even in practice, it is no wonder he hasn’t developed more.

He is good but not so good that he can do that – I will be watching for that tomorrow.

I think I will be watching the DL and LB most since I am really interested in those battles and of course I will be watching to see how Wilson works with the 1st unit

27. montanamike2 says:

He knows this is it, put up or see ya later. It’s not uncommon for him to step up in year 3, he reads the papers maybe even blogs, but i’m betting on him this year, same as Miller and Winslow.
    NFC WEST here we come!

28. bbnate420 says:

I think Tate showed growth last year, but we need him to take another step forward. I don’t think we need a giant year from him, unless Rice goes down. I would be happy with 50-60 catches, 700 yards, and 7-8 Tds. I think we need some explosive plays from him.

If Lockette really has improved as much as it seems from reports it may not matter. He may be better suited to play opposite Rice as long as he is ready for it.

29. I agree, bbnate. That detailed report at seahawks.net is good stuff, they do a good job, but I’d caution against buying into every word of it. Its just one guy’s opinion based on what he noticed. He saw Durham drop the ball; I saw Durham make some great cuts and catches. He thought TJack’s INT was terrible; I thought Flynn’s was as bad. One thing I noticed is lots of murmuring when TJack is at QB, even when his passes were quick and crisp, and lots of cheers when Flynn or Wilson made a simple completion.

I don’t think one should read too many implications into one or two practices. Even the coaches need to compile and review film from multiple practices to really draw conclusions.

He doesn’t pretend to be objective. In fact, before the Tate stuff he says the guy rubbs him the wrong way. But for me, the value of a report like that is coating to all the others and finding common threads. Both positive and negative. It helps me get a better sense of what’s happening in camp.

31. agreed, Duke. He makes a ton of good observations, also.

stray observation – It was good to see Okung on two healthy ankles today, but the difference between Okung with injured ankles or healthy ankles is subtle. Either way he moves slowly between plays and wastes no energy. Reminds me a bit of Walter that way, he makes blocking look easy and hustles just enough to keep defenders far away from his QB.

32. LeePridemore says:

I’m going to try and keep my comments positive and informed this season. Last year I had a bad case of hemophiladelphia which contributed to my negativity and scintillating vocabulary. I would like to thank Yogi Roth for helping me get my mind right with positive talk, goal setting and the three week use of a Malibu Colony beach house. Thanks Yogi.

On Sunday I attended the Seahawks Bing Tanning Camp with my nephew, Uncle Stack Juice. First thing we do, evaluehate, evalulate, evalueate, we check out the coaching staff. Today we’ll take a look at the defensive coaching staff and a new member of Special Teams.

Defensive Coordinator Gus Bradley is getting skinny and he ain’t chewing tobacco anymore. Ken Norton’s head is getting huge. Maybe it’s his noticeable weight loss, he is fit, but dude got a big noggin. Rock Seto was talking to four young women who wha wha wear wearing tight, really expensive looking cotton pants, so Kris Richard had to do all the yellin’ and coaching up of the defensive backfield. I can’t figure out who Coach Wash is. All those white guys look the same to me.

The Special Teams Coaching Staff has the winner of So You Think You Can Coach. Ladies, pleaese meet Mr. Marquand Manuel. Watch kick coverage this season. It gonna be the Blue Angels with heat seeking missiles. That’s what I’m talking ’bout, bruh.

I saw Hugh Millen eat a sandwich.

Tomorrow, offensive coaches.

See Ya,

33. nidhighe says:

“Flynn did a nice job of making quick reads in the two-minute drill”

We don’t need him to be an elite QB to be successful. We just need him to do what T-Jack can’t.

Lee – Lol!

35. Hammajamma says:

“…dude got a big noggin.”

True.

36. GeorgiaRay says:

Lee-

hahaha…can’t wait for the O coaches report.

37. welcome back, Lee Pridemore! lol.