Morning links: All eyes on Irvin

Post by Eric Williams on July 27, 2012 at 8:51 am with 41 Comments »
July 27, 2012 8:51 am
Seattle Seahawks' Bruce Irvin, center, pass-rushes quarterback Russell Wilson, left, as Alex Barron blocks at right during an NFL football rookie minicamp, Friday, May 11, 2012, in Renton, Wash. (AP Photo/Ted S. Warren)

Matt Bowen of the National Football Post writes that Bruce Irvin is one of his top 10 rookies to watch heading into training camp.

Bowen: Irvin was labeled as a “situational” rusher after the draft and I understand that. Think defensive sub packages (nickel, dime) and the ability to turn the corner vs. OTs. However, no different than talking about (Chicago defensive end Shea” McClellin above, Irvin isn’t going to beat every tackle this season with the speed rush. This is a rookie I want to watch in live game action this August.”

Our own Dave Boling of The News Tribune, who covered Cortez Kennedy as a beat reporter during his 11-year playing career, wonders how the soft-spoken former Seattle defensive lineman will do on the bright stage of the Hall of fame induction ceremony next week.

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com writes that Kennedy’s relationship with his defensive line coach Tommy Basher had a big influence on his development as a player.

Steve Kelly of the Seattle Times asks the Seahawks to bring some excitement to what has been a joyless year for Seattle sports fans up to this point.

Tony Ventrella of Seahawks.com talks with Seattle offensive line coach Tom Cable in this video link.

Former NFL personnel man Andrew Brandt, writing for ESPN.com, gives some interesting perspective on the cut-throat nature of training camp.

ESPN’s Mike Sando takes a closer look at Football Outsiders projected win totals for the NFC West in 2011 compared to the actual results. The discussion is a follow up to Football Outsiders projecting 7.2 wins for San Francisco this season. The Seahawks also are projected to win 7.2 games.

ESPN’s John Clayton lists Seattle settling its three-way quarterback battle as one his top 10 storylines heading into the beginning of training camps this week.

More Clayton: He doesn’t think James Carpenter will play a single snap this season because of a slow recovery from ACL knee surgery.

Pete Prisco of CBS Sports ranks Seattle No. 20 in his preseason power rankings.

Greg Rosenthal of NFL.com picks Seattle to win the NFC West.

Joe Fortenbaugh of the National Football Post gives us three stats that the betting public should be paying attention to on Sundays – yards per play, fumbles lost and sack differential.

Former Seahawks receiver Logan Payne signed with Baltimore.

The Chargers are contacting veteran quarterbacks after former Seahawks Charlie Whitehurst suffered a knee injury on the first day of training camp.

Morning links
  1. We all knew Carp shouldn’t be counted on this season so that’s hardly a surprise.

I’m excited to see how fast Irvin plays.

I’m curious about Clayton here, though. Not that I doubt Carpenter is slow in coming back, but where does Clayton’s impression come from? Especially after Carroll seemed to be encouraged.

I cannot wait for tomorrow’s practice report! This offseason has gone by really fast for me, this year.

3. bird_spit says:

Wow Chargers must be hard pressed to find another guy to hold the clipboard.

4. For the record, I think he could be back on the active roster towards the end of the year. I think he’ll be a pup.

5. FleaFlicker says:

Would love to see us get karmic revenge on the Chargers by giving them Tarvaris.

6. Soggybuc says:

If the starting line stays healthy, gels and is playing well I would see no reason why you bring back this year.

I agree with that Soggy. Like Bobby, I’d be surprised if he wasn’t PUPed, and unless the line is in dire straights, I see no reason to rush him back.

8. chuck_easton says:

I like the idea of a fully healthy Carp coming back in 2013 and having to fight for a starting job. I suspect that played into him coming in to camp last season so out of shape and got him off to such a slow start. I think he came in with the attitude that he was guaranteed a starting job. I feel, and this is just my opinion, that Carp came in thinking he already had it made and didn’t need to prove anything.

That won’t be the case next year. The five guys we have this year will have a full season ( knock wood) together and Carp is going to have take his job back. That will only make the offensive line stronger.

9. RDPoulsbo says:

It’s a certainty that he’ll get PUPed. He’s only 8 months out from ACL surgery and it will really take over a year to be able to push off of it effectively against other 300 lb guys. It’s also something you can’t rush. Just ask anyone who’s had the surgery before. Even the best rehab in the world isn’t going to make a new ACL securely attach to the knee any faster.

10. montanamike2 says:

When i saw that Whitehurst was hurt i drooled at the thought of getting anything in return for tjack, apparently i wasn’t the only one.

11. I hope James Carpenter isn’t Chris McIntosh, if you know what I mean.

12. Hammajamma says:

I’d be very, very surprised to see Bryant on the final roster. Then again, I never thought Peter Warrick, as a late veteran addition, would be on the ’05 roster either. I’d expect a similar contribution from AB, which puts him in the “why bother” category. As has been said, he seems like a camp body and I’d be worried if he stuck.

13. I’ll run around naked through my whole neighborhood if we could get anything for Tarvaris. Nobody (else) wanted him last year and I don’t see why anyone would want him this year.

14. Will you do that if/when Carroll names him the starter? We wouldn’t want pictures as proof, your word is good with us.

15. If Carroll names him the starter, I’ll be in jail and Flynn or Wilson will end up starting. lol

16. Carroll’s gotta start sounding the least bit excited about Flynn for me to think he’s going to be named the starter.

17. ryanryan says:

I’m going to camp on Tuesday…I ONLY own Hasselbeck jersey’s. I will be wearing the lime green, my dad the home blue and my niece will don the away.

My 8 y/o boy will wear his green Hass and my 4 y/o daughter will wear my son’s old Alexander…should be fun.

18. bird_spit says:

ryanryan – that sounds awesome, and apropos (yeah I had to look up the spelling). I don’t care if WIlson or Flynn win the competition. All I want is one of them to fit the shoes that Hass left. I don’t want to find out after this competition is over that they are all flops. This team is setting up nicely. My concerns for the year are all on the O side of the ball. Namely (and in order) QB, OL,and WR. The QB issue has been discussed in depth on here. The OL situation to me is all about staying healthy, to play as a unit and keeping Tom Cable as the man in charge. WR is really an issue of too much youth. I wish they had a Stokely type player, that is proven and can provide some leadership. Not one player on that squad has shown that quality. I’d like a Bobby Engram on the team.

If you guys are going to the practices, please pay attention to the WR squad. I’d like a sense of who the leaders are..

19. I think Baldwin already can be that guy.

20. bbnate420 says:

BobbyK, you realize the Chargers signed CBJ to a 2 mil deal, right? I wouldn’t be so sure nobody would trade for him. What proof do you have that nobody else wanted TJack last offseason?

21. montanamike2 says:

He would be a good backup somewhere, not here. I love PC flaunting him while upping the competive spirit at the same time. He’s the master of misdirection. He’s showcasing TJ first. Then it’s Flynn time with Wilson looming for his chance. We’re suddenly deep everywhere.
    Also kudos to Eric Williams who i saw on tv today.

22. After Whitehurst’s initial training camp, I don’t recall Carroll having anything great to say about Whitehusrt. Carroll knew what he had at that point.

Carroll is anything BUT the master of misdirection when it comes to personnel moves.

23. montanamike2 says:

I’ll give you that one.

24. freedom_X says:

If we handicap this purely off of Carroll’s praise, then Russell Wilson’s the front-runner.

I, of course, believe Carroll knows exactly what’s he’s trying to achieve with his public statements. When he downplayed Whitehurst last year, I really think Carroll was trying to motivate him and see if he would step up. Whitehurst didn’t, and so no loss to Carroll. It wasn’t as though Carroll was being deceitful about the situation.

I don’t think Carroll wants players that have to be coddled and stroked to play well, especially at the QB position. He wants them, needless to say, to fight and compete and go down swinging. The fact that Whitehurst wasn’t a competitor is something I’m very surprised the front office didn’t recognize, when they traded for him.

Phil Bates is a WR candidate I’d like to hear about. I’ve read he has some Doug Baldwin in him.

25. nate – If someone wanted a free agent QB to start for them, I’m pretty sure they’d go for more than $4 million/year if they believed in him at all. There’s probably as much “proof” that someone wanted him, than didn’t want him.

26. bbnate420 says:

BobbyK, You didn’t say “start”. Maybe you meant that no one wanted him to be their starting QB but, that’s not what you wrote. It’s possible that no one else wanted to sign him to be their presumptive starter. I think it’s highly doubtful that no other team would’ve signed him period. I haven’t seen PC/JS overpaying for players IMO so, the fact that they gave him 4 mil a year suggests that someone else was offering a contract for more than the vet minimum.

If the Chargers are dumb enough to pay CBJ 2 mil a year I wouldn’t put it past them to trade a 7th for TJack if CBJ ends up being out longer than expected.

27. Someone will consider Tarvaris Jackson very valuable as soon as starting QBs start going down injured.

And since no one knows whether Matt Flynn can handle NFL hits week after week or not, I think Tarvaris will be valued very highly in Seattle, even as a #2.

I think it was Mark Twain who said, “the rumors of my demise are greatly exaggerated.”

28. montanamike2 says:

Good one Stevos.

29. To premise “demise” is to insinuate that he was ever good in the first place (with respect to playing in the NFL). I think it was bobbyk who said, “you never were good and you never will be either.”

Okay. We need to stop all this Tarvaris talk. You guys don’t like my rants about him and I’m sick of ranting about it. We’ve had a pretty good month of my not bashing him, so please try not to antagonize me about writing stuff you all know! lol

Maybe the performance on the field do the talking. And if Tarvaris wins a Super Bowl (only if he does something to help win it), I’ll eat my crow and be happy about it! But I’d want a lot of salt, ranch dressing, mayo, etc. to keep the taste from being too bad. :)

30. montanamike2 says:

Cool no more bashing on TJ.

31. Starting OL predictions anyone?

LT – Okung
    LG –
    C – Unger
    RG –
    LG – Giacomini

No idea where they are going with G

Injuries aside, Moffitt is your starting right guard.

33. Soggybuc says:

put the Tongan mountain at right with Moffit at left and you have the starters.

34. Soggybuc says:

err i meant that the other way around

35. bbnate420 says:

Agree with Soggy. I think Lutui will beat out McQuistan if he maintains his weight.

36. psoundpowerhouse says:

If Carp’s knee is gonna keep him sidelined this year, his NFL career is over. Sorry, that’s just being realistic.
    I’m just hoping the other guys that went down last year are able to bounce back and play to the level of their draft status!
    The O-line needs some good things to happen this season.

37. No. I think he has a “simple” ACL injury which takes a year to recover. He’s a large man who got hurt towards the end of last season, which means he probably won’t be close to 100% again until the end of this season. I think that’s basic math that he won’t be ready for this season. I firmly believe he’ll be 100% by the start of 2013 (actually, I think he’ll be 100% by the off-season program starting next year) and I am looking forward to him being our (I hope) left guard.

38. bbnate420 says:

I agree. I don’t think it’s realistic at all to say his career is over if he doesn’t play in 2012. The first game after the bye will be exactly 2 days past one full year for Carp’s surgery. I think there’s a decent chance he could be at least practicing by that point. Question is do the Hawks see enough from him by week 9 to decide to add him to the 53 rather than putting him on the IR? Will depend on how he looks, health of team generally, and whether or not they project him to be a contributor by the end of 2012. Unfortunately, it takes larger guys like Carp longer to come back from an ACL injury, obviously more weight means more stress on the knees. I think it’s probably 50/50 whether or not he plays a game in 2012 but, time will tell. I expect him to be a contributor at least in 2013 though.

39. I think Carp will come back and ride the pine after being a puppy. I can see him getting some game action, but not in an ideal circumstance (i.e. injury to a starter). In the best case scenario (in my world – which is quite a place!!! lol) he doesn’t play a meaningful snap this year but becomes our starting LG next year!