Unger signs contract extension with Hawks

Post by Eric Williams on July 25, 2012 at 5:12 pm with 20 Comments »
July 25, 2012 5:12 pm
Seattle Seahawks center Max Unger ties up Arizona's Darnell Dockett. (AP Photo/Elaine Thompson)

The Seattle Seahawks solidified the team’s offensive line for the next two years by signing center Max Unger to a multi-year contract extension, the team announced this afternoon.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Selected in the second round of the 2009 draft by Seattle, Unger was in the final year of his rookie contract. With the signing, all five of Seattle’s projected starting offensive line are signed through the 2013 season.

“Pete and I are excited to lock up a young core leader on our offense,” Seahawks general manager John Schneider said in a prepared statement. “Max’s consistent and professional approach to his job transcends the locker room and the huddle.”

Unger began his career as a right guard while Chris Spencer served as Seattle’s center. But once the Seahawks let Spencer move on to Chicago last year, Unger assumed the center position, starting 15 games in 2011.

“I am very happy about this new deal,” said Unger. “We have a developing young line that had some success last year that we can build upon this season. It’s a good deal for the both of us and I couldn’t be happier to be in Seattle.”

Unger helped anchor a line that helped Marshawn Lynch lead the league with 941 rushing yards over the last nine weeks of the season.

With Unger signed, Schneider and head coach Pete Carroll likely will turn their attention to working with Pro Bowl safety Kam Chancellor on a contract extension. Chancellor is in the third year of a four-year rookie deal that will pay him a base salary of $490,000 in 2012.

General Seahawks
  1. Very nice. Ya gotta like how the FO is handling player contracts.

2. Agreed! Way to build. Draft well, extend contracts of the best players to keep them, sign only select veteran FAs, and keep some room under the cap to get ready for next year when the team can take advantage of FA bargains due to the new CBA. I don’t see our GM making any mistakes. I like it.

Now if we can just figure out who our quarterback is…

3. Ewalters7354 says:

Skavage,agreed.I love them locking up the core players.

4. Ewalters7354 says:

Next is Kam,then I believe ET will break the bank.

I posted this in the last thread but seems more appropriate here:

” Rotoworld also reporting an extension, but no details. I have to say, of all the things I like about Schneider over Ruskell, it’s the fact he’s willing to lock up players he / they consider cornerstone, before they hit the market. Well done boys…”

6. bbnate420 says:

ET signed a 5 year deal worth a maximum of 21.1 mil. I’d be surprised if they extend him before next offseason. Kam is only signed through next year and is much more underpaid. Maybe they wait until during the season to extend him to see if he repeats the play of last year.

7. bird_spit says:

I agree, FO is making all of the right moves. I hope what they are doing is gearing up to sign a veteran WR. I think it would help to have one old guy, great work ethic type guy to the group.

8. This is awesome to get our center locked up. I wonder if people still think Spencer is better? lol

9. True that, Bobby. Unger improved last season enough to prove himself an upgrade over Chris Spencer, and, unless Unger just got a huge raise, Unger is probably still cheaper than Spencer, so that’s good for us too.

Just MHO, but I think its notable that Unger’s improvement last year coincided with great improvements in Giacomini, McQuistan, and Jeanpierre as well. I think we need to give ample credit to Tom Cable. When was the last time all our O linemen got so much better as a season wore on?

10. Yes. Cable is a stud.

11. Let the Unger Games begin!

Looks like the Falcons are going to cut Tatupu. That means he’ll be available to backup Wagner next year.

12. I like that idea, Canfan, but the word on Tatupu is he won’t play football again before 2013, if at all.

13. By “next year,” I meant 2013, Stevos. Unlikely to happen, of course. Few people like to go back to their previous employers. I never have, not even to visit. At one time, I thought that Tatupu was building a Hall of Fame career. He’s a guy who probably maximized his talent — and for that, he deserves our respect.

14. I saw a report that this will make Unger one of the highest paid centers in the league. It’s good that they lock him up for a couple of more yrs but shouldn’t you be even kind of close to one of the best before you get a deal like that?

15. montanamike2 says:

I think they see him improving into a top tier center, kudos!
    I love our FO more than i ever have. Props to Paul Allen for cutting his loss and canning Ruskell after only 1 year of throwing people under the bus. Not only can we spot talent but we can also develop it.
    Sidenote: I recorded the nfl replay of green bay and detroit last year and came away impressed with Flynn’s pocket awareness and throwing an excellent accurate tight ball, i think we will be pleasantly surprised. Stafford impressed me more but he’s a good consolation prize.

16. RDPoulsbo says:

These are the kind of contract extensions I like. You do them with your young guys who are being underpaid. They are much harder to retain when their contracts are actually up because they get a new found freedom to move when they become UFAs.

Hopefully they can work something out with Kam, sooner than later so they can front load cap costs and position them for when they have to pay franchise money at QB.

17. Soggybuc says:

pete should hire Lofa on a 1 year consultant contract to work with Ken Norton and the LB. he could teach Wagner a lot in a short time.

18. They see Unger as developing into a stud center and they locked him up before he got there. If you’re smart at what you do, you lock up those guys you know are going to be core players. I remember a comment Bo made last year during training camp. He said something like Unger and Moffitt are so young, but they are so nasty that their attitude is going to define the ‘Hawks line for years to come. Those are the type of guys you need. I’m sick to death of all the calm Chris Spencer and sucky (for us) Rob Sims crap I had to deal with for too long (i.e. players I despised), so I’m thrilled to have a legit (actually good) center/lineman.

19. bbnate420 says:

Important to remember that 2011 was the first full season Unger started at center. Should still have plenty of room to grow.