Morning links: Clemons gets paid

Post by Eric Williams on July 25, 2012 at 7:13 am with 32 Comments »
July 25, 2012 7:13 am

The Sports Xchange confirms that Chris Clemons’ new deal for three years is worth more than $21 million, making him one of the higher paid defensive ends in the league. According to the report, the final year in his current contract, in which he forfeited $1 million for missing the mandatory minicamp, is replaced in the new deal. No word yet on how much of the contract is guaranteed.

Pat Kirwan of CBS Sports predicts the Seahawks will finish 8-8 in 2012 in his NFL season preview.

Clark Judge of CBS Sports says how Matt Flynn performs is one of his 10 burning questions heading into the beginning of training camps this week. “Coach Pete Carroll believes he has the right guy, but he thought the same thing two years ago when he traded for Charlie Whitehurst. I don’t care that Tarvaris Jackson goes into camp taking the first-team reps; he should. He’s the incumbent. But theSeahawks didn’t pay Matt Flynn the big bucks in the hopes that he could wrest the job away from Jackson. They’re sure he can. And he will.”

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com talks with fellow defensive end Red Bryant about teammate Clemons signing a new deal. Bryant says he has no concerns about his teammate getting complacent and not playing hard after his new deal. “Clem is underrated,” Bryant said. “But that’s what he fuels off of. But those of us in this locker room, we hold him in high regard and we know what he brings to the table. He’s non-stop, mean, tough.”

Tony Ventrella of Seahawks.com talks with linebackers coach Ken Norton Jr. in this video clip.

ESPN’s Mike Sando writes that Seahawks could be too optimistic in their belief that young receivers like Kris Durham and Ricardo Lockette will step up in training camp.

Former Seahawks linebacker Lofa Tatupu will miss the entire season after suffering another torn pectoral injury while working out.

Joe Fortenbaugh of the National Football Post takes an in-depth look at turnover differential over the past 10 years, and predicts that teams like the San Francisco 49ers that had a +28 turnover differential in 2011 will likely regress in 2012, which means less wins for Seattle’s NFC West rival.

The Seahawks are ranked 17th in USA Today’s latest power rankings.

Dan Pompei of the Chicago Tribune ranks Seattle No. 23 in preseason power rankings.

Morning links
  1. raymaines says:

Wild guess: 10-12 M Guaranteed

2. seahawk44 says:

Bigger contract than expected for Clemons. Keep the sacks coming, Chris….earn that money.

Sad and sorry for Tatupu news.

3. At least Lofa won’t spend the year getting beat up even more and may now have a chance to have a good life after 35-40 years old. It could be a blessing in disguise.

4. bird_spit says:

I want Clem to eat QBs, and put some film up for Bruce I to learn from.. Other than that, be a good team mate, and stay in your assignment. (period) For 21 million, which you might see 14 of, do good with the money some how. Though I would not put my money down that the last request would ever happen.

5. “For me (and maybe none of you) Clem is the classic example of rooting for the uniform and not caring about the person (whereas w/some Seahawks I seem to root for the person just as much as the uniform).”

I’ve seen a few posters note that about him – is the word that he’s not a good guy? Not doubting it necessarily, but just wondering where it’s coming from.

6. Random question about one of our rivals – – you guys think Randy Moss has it in him to have a big impact year?

7. I’m hoping that Richard Sherman is up to the task, if he is the Randy Moss of old.

8. RDPoulsbo says:

I almost always root for the uniform over the player. I don’t have anything against Clem in particular other than his age and the fact they drafted Irvin specifically to take his starting spot in the future. Seattle has paid enough older DEs only to fall off a cliff. Only Clem is guaranteed to have less playing time in 2013. If they don’t have the faith that Irvin will be the starting Leo at that time, then perhaps they shouldn’t have drafted him in the first place. When you draft a guy in the top half of the 1st round, you expect that guy to become a starter, period.

This also just showed the rest of the guys not getting paid their market price, and there’s a lot of them, that all you have to do is pout and hold your breath and you’ll get a bigger contract. This could come back to haunt them in the next couple years.

9. bbnate420 says:

Video of 2011 Huskies Spring Game from Keith Price’s POV that I previously mentioned, if anyone is interested. I thought it was cool to get a view you usually don’t.

10. pdway – Ryan has said that he is one of the biggest asses he’s ever intervied. Pretty good first hand source. Eric will rarely ever say something that isn’t somewhat politically correct (I liked it when he had harsh [for him] words after the Trent Cole incident though) but certainly hasn’t colored him with roses, unlike good guys like J-Force. We’ve also read the divorce stuff about him cheating on his wife in Atlantic City and the “alleged” abuse. Even if the “alleged” abuse isn’t true, I don’t care, there’s enough smoke to think he’s a jerk. If he played for the 49ers more people would probably think the same way but since he’s a Hawk he gets a free pass from many here (but if he ever leaves, he’ll be a traitor and people will probably hate him).

11. chuck_easton says:

Pdway,

I don’t know Clem the person or Clem the teammate but from what I’ve read he’s not overly friendly with the media to the point of being arrogant. There have been snipits of mentioning he is a guy with a strong sense of entitlement.

That being said, I don’t have to try and interview him. He’s not on my thanksgiving guest invite list. And I won’t be asking him over to watch the world series at my house. So I don’t care if he’s a bit of a dink off the field.

As long as he treats his teammates ( and I hope he tries to take Irvin under his wing ) with respect. As long as he continues to produce for another two to three years. And along as he shows up and works hard now that he ‘got his’ i’ll still root for him on Sundays.

21 mill is probably the top end of what Clem is worth. It’s a good number for both sides. Clem feels loved and respected and the team didn’t over pay like Miami did for Wake.

It will be more telling when we see how the 7 mill average is broken down over the three years. With that we can figure out if it really is a full three year contract or if it’s a one or two year deal and Clem will never see the end of it.

12. Man I love that guy, Ken Norton Jr.
    Can’t wait to see how he’s coached up Wagner.

13. http://www.tmz.com/2012/04/22/chris-clemons-divorce/

$82,000 in attorney’s fees? Wow. I’m in the wrong profession.

14. NYHawkFan says:

Some players forget that they are in the entertainment business. Yes, when they are on the field their job is to be physical, even brutal, but it doesn’t stop there. Off the field, they are suppose to be available to the media, which is what you would expect for someone in the entertainment business. However, some like Clem don’t like that aspect of the business they’re in, so a good way to avoid doing it is to be mean, nasty, and otherwise make yourself unapproachable. Too bad he feels that way, as it detracts from the overall appeal the players can bring to the game.

15. chuck_easton says:

Canfan,,

You are! I do Family Law ( divorce and such ). Divorce ain’t cheap, even when there is nothing financial to fight over, there’ still the Kids, the baby grand, the SUV, the gym membership, the dog ( yes I have written a Settlement agreement outlining shared custody of the dog ).

Don’t blame the lawyers though. Most of my files could easily be settled if the clients and their emotions didn’t get in the way. An amicable divorce is the exception and it is actually every lawyers dream case.

After 7 years of doing this, I have these sage words:

1 If your not married. DON’T DO IT!!!!
    2. If you are married stay together at all costs, it’s cheaper in the long run.
    3 . If you can’t do 1or 2 have good friends that can help hide the evidence ( the last one is a joke of course…I use my job as marriage counseling. I never want to be my own client )

16. Carlsonkid says:

Kirwan says the Hawks have questions in pass protection , at QB and tight end ( ?! Winslow and Miller seem like a fairly formidable TE group to me ) ; I do agree with the concern at pass pro and QB ( until Flynn proves otherwise ) , but 8 & 8 ?

We would’ve won 8 last year had the Cleveland game been called correctly ( return called back ) , and that was with T-Jack playing with a torn pec last season …

Better play at QB , additions on defense and the majority of our tough part of the schedule at home should equate to more than 8 wins this season baring injuries .

All I know is that players report tomorrow. I’m pretty damn excited.

18. chuck_easton says:

First official team practice is Saturday. So are they doing the staggered reporting again with rookies and FA’s reporting tomorrow while Vets and returning players report Friday?

19. ryanryan says:

flying in to seattle friday for 10 days to see my folks. coincidence? i think not.

20. They can’t report soon enough — totally jacked and pumped for the season. And camp lines up with a trip to Seattle, so Sunday the son and I got tickets to watch practice at VMAC. Wh00t! Here’s hoping Flynn or Wilson will get the reps with the 1’s on Sunday.

21. chuck_easton says:

By Wilson I assume you mean QB Smurf? Hey, he’s wearing blue and he’s a head shorter than the other guys according to that earlier picture.

22. Let the Flynn Dynasty begin!

23. chuck_easton says:

And just so people don’t think I’m insulting Wilson, Surfs are always happy in the face of all obstacles, they always prevail despite their size.

24. Good advice Chuck!

My divorced buddies tell me all the time to stay/never get married.

Single = Simple Happiness and no one to answer to
    Married = Can go either way
    Kids = Love them but w/o the right partner it’s pretty damn difficult.

I like the idea of ‘dating freedom’…40 years running.

GO HAWKS!

25. bbnate420 says:

Johnnie Taylor had a song in the early 70’s called “It’s Cheaper to Keep Her”.

Eric, the first part probably goes without saying but, can you pay particular attention to the QB battle and how rookies like Irvin, Wagner, and Turbin are looking/progressing in your camp reports? Thanks.

26. Yes, good advice, Chuck. When my marriage hits a rocky patch, as it does occasionally, I remind myself of the study done some years ago that showed that divorced couples tend to be unhappier than people who stick it out despite problems.

Back on topic, it’ll be great to get some training camp reports from Eric and others. Every one of our draft picks this year sounds like he could be something special. Of course, we know that several will end up being busts. This FO give me confidence that at least half of their picks will be solid contributors and a couple will be stars. Can’t wait to see who will be the Kam Chancellor or Richard Sherman of this group.

Boy, you guys are making me happy I’m single.

Good news from the NFL Shop: the Nike authentic jerseys will be available within the next 10 days. They have a Sid Rice for the ‘Hawks, but the customizable jerseys will be available. It’s about time. Now I need to just settle on whom. Chancellor? Thomas? Wright? Roll the dice with Lynch? Big decision…

28. Don’t order Flynn, they will never send it to you.

29. northlot_rv says:

Just received a notice that my season tickets are on a Fed-Ex truck on their way to me today. This is one of those things that gets my Seahawk juices pumping.
    First pre-season game 2 weeks from Saturday!!!!

30. raymaines says:

but after the divorce, men almost always have more disposable income than women. Yes, it’s cheaper to keep her but it generally costs a women more than a men to be divorced. And that’s not counting the hours and hours of raising the kids.

More to the point: How the f#(&1ng much of the Clemens contract is guaranteed?

31. Danny O’Neil at the Seattle Times reporting that Max Unger just signed a multi year extension making him one of the highest paid centers in the NFL.

Rotoworld also reporting an extension, but no details. I have to say, of all the things I like about Schneider over Ruskell, it’s the fact he’s willing to lock up players he / they consider cornerstone, before they hit the market. Well done boys…