Morning links: Tatupu suffers another pec injury

Post by Eric Williams on July 21, 2012 at 9:42 am with 35 Comments »
July 21, 2012 9:42 am
Atlanta Falcons' Lofa Tatupu takes part in a team football practice at mini camp Tuesday, June 19, 2012, in Flowery Branch, Ga. (AP Photo/David Goldman)

Bad news this morning out of Atlanta, as former Seattle Seahawks linebacker suffered another pectoral injury, according to the Atlanta Falcons web site.

Tatupu sat out the 2011 season after asking for his release from the Seahawks when he refused to take a pay cut to remain with the team.

Tatupu had surgery on both knees before the 2011 training camp. He suffered a torn pectoral muscle five games into the 2009 season which required surgery, forcing him to miss 11 games.

Tatupu played his first full season in three years in 2010, but battle through concussion, hamstring and knee issues. I hope the injury is not a serious one and Tatupu can play at some point this season.

Programming alert: I’ll be on ESPN 710 Seattle from Noon to 1 p.m this afternoon talking Seahawks with Colin Paisley, so if you have some time on your hands tune in here.

Len Pasquarelli of the Sport Xchange writes that the availability of Marshawn Lynch in the first few games of the season because of his DUI charge could affect whoever wins the three-way battle for the quarterback job, because that person will have to play a bigger role in moving the offense.

KJR’s Dave Mahler talks to former Seahawk Mack Strong about Lynch and other Seattle-related topics in this audio link.

Mahler also talks to former NFL scout Daniel Jeremiah about the Seahawks in this audio link. The conversation begins about three minutes in.

Pat Kirwan of CBS Sports writes that NFL teams are benefitting from the rookie wage scale by locking up Pro Bowl-caliber players at a reasonable price for five years.

Morning links
  1. Carlsonkid says:

Sorry to hear about Lofa’s injury , that’s his second pec injury ..

I’m off to watch training camp next Saturday , I wonder if it’ll be practice as usual for Beast , or if they’ll sit him ?

2. Ewalters7354 says:

Damn,Lofa can’t get a break.It’s truly sad being that he had a once promising career.

3. Soggybuc says:

Time for Pete to hire him to work as Ken’s assistant, Wagner could use your teaching.

4. MadSweeney42 says:

I blame Stephen Jackson for Lofa’s shortened career. Seems like after Lofa’s first few years playing against him twice that Lofa tried to bulk up too much for his body and that’s when he started getting hurt. It’s too bad he isn’t 2-3 inches taller with the appropriate weight difference, or he’d probably be a HoFer. Guys like him who are able to compensate with their minds for their size usually don’t last very long because losing half a step (literally or figuratively) in their physical game is enough to offset the mental edge they had. And of course, it’s the guys who have the physical tools and size early in their careers whose minds stay ahead of their bodies that allow them to have long and highly successful careers past the time when the players whose physical tools made up for their lack of mental game early in their careers.

I’d love to have Lofa back as a coach. Although on one hand you can’t teach instinct (looking at you Curry), when you have great coaching from whipsmart former players, your chances of greatness go up.

That said, I’d rather see Lofa healthy and get a few more years of play under his belt before he takes a coaching turn. Always liked that kid, always will (and I will always put an asterisk by Merriman’s name for DRoY since Lofa was the QB for the D his rookie season and deserved more than a roid boy with a bunch of sacks /rant).

Good luck Lofa!

5. bbnate420 says:

Wish him the best. One of my favorite players when he was here. Seems the mind is willing but the body is not. If he was a horse, he’d be glue.

6. Soggybuc says:

Great post Mr. Sweeny, only critic is! the difference between Curry and Wagner is….

One gets confused while watching Elmo and friends.

The other gets confused a bit bit by Carl Sagan and Nova, I’ll let you puzzle the whom is who.

7. Heading to Training camp on Monday the 30th – any suggestions from people who have attended before?

8. FleaFlicker says:

XC – here’s my tips for training camp:

Arrive at the Renton pick up place about 30-45 minutes before you want to be at VMAC. You’ve got to get in a line with your printed tickets to get a wristband which gets you access into the facility. Then you’ve got to catch the shuttle buses over.

Bring a beach towel or a small blanket to sit on, there are no seats down close, just a grassy hill. Maybe even a folding chair if that’s more of your style, but may be difficult to pull off on the slope. If it’s been raining, throw a garbage bag under the blanket/towel. Memory a little foggy on this one, I think I remember bleachers, albeit about 50 yds back from the field.

Also, two rosters (one by name, one by jersey number) are key. So many people running around that you’ve never seen before.

And maybe some binoculars. Scrimmages will take place literally right in front of the crowd, but unit/tackling/throwing drills usually happen on the other two playing surfaces which are progressively farther from the fan sideline.

That’s about it. Concessions are available if you’re hungry or anything.

Hope that helps…

9. That helps a ton thanks!

I am looking forward to going – I have never gone before should be fun!

10. I’m a Lofa fan too…nice post MadSweeney42. I would love to see him on our coaching staff in the future.

11. Hey wasn’t Lofa found guilty of DUI a few yrs ago?
    I hope no Lofa Lovers are critical of Lynch and not him..

12. bbnate420 says:

He was mocarob.

I don’t think that logic or fairness plays a role in the opinion of many sadly. :-(

13. MadSweeney42 says:

Soggy – Not really sure what Curry vs Wagner has to do with my post, but thanks for the thumbs up.

My take on this is about what I said a couple of years ago. I said That Lofa really needed to consider retirement because of all the concussions.
    Like many he is one of my favorite Seahawks of all time, however he is so dam head strong that perhaps this latest injury will force him to see the need to value his health over playing this game anymore.

That said, moving forward I wish him the best!

mocarob / bbnate – Like Lynch, Tarupu received his DUI the same off season he signed a rather large contract extension, as you may recall, and was crushed on this blog for it. Honestly, I see little difference between the two regarding the fans comments. They range from reactionary to reasonable to indifference. One could almost substitute the names and not notice a difference. I think the same “cut him now” crowd regarding Lynch were trumpeting the same toward Lofa.

Even before this injury most fans that I have spoken with here in the Atlanta metro area have said to me that Tatupu was a down grade at best for the team moving forward.

Just retire now! You have nothing more to prove but foolish pride!

BTW- I see no crowd at all wanting to cut Lynch or for that matter Tatupu when he got his DUI! Mabey a few, howevever no crowd! Lol.

Sounds like in your own words Dukshire hyperbole. Lol.

That’s Dukeshire- My bad!

And why are the fans being blamed for criticising the bonehead actions of players that have screwed up after receiving a huge contract extention?
    How can anyone be so stupid as to blame a fans reaction to a players stupid action is beyond me!

Georgia – of course I never said there was “a” crowd, indicating there was a large group. I said “crowd” indicating a group of indeterminate size. And it would take little effort on your part to search the archives and recent threads to see that some, foolishly in my view, were calling for that. In both cases. (ironically, you acknowledge this while trying to criticize my post.) By definition, my use of the word crowd cannot be considered hyperbole, here.

In addition, I’m not sure fans as a whole, are being criticized. Just that a question of potential hypocrisy was brought up regarding criticizing Lynch and not Tatupu.

22. I suppose Tatupu was in a hit and run and was on 3 year probation for a weapons violation?

As far as I know, he was clean before his DUI arrest. Everyone should get a chance to make a mistake in life, but after that they should be dealt with.

23. I should clarify and say that Lynch had just completed a 3 year probation for the weapons violation.

Classic.

25. bbnate420 says:

I didn’t follow the blog back when Lofa got his DUI, I was just saying that fans criticizing players often doesn’t follow logic of fairness IMO. That’s my experience anyways. I cannot say for sure that anyone who criticized Lynch did not do the same to Lofa. My guess is that there are some instances of that. A difference here is probably the assumption, incorrectly IMO, that Lynch will be suspended. That elicits more emotion from fans than a situation where no suspension is expected.

Pabs, again, “hit and run” was adjudicated as a traffic infraction, akin to a bunch of unpaid parking tickets. He hasn’t been convicted of anything in the DUI case. I don’t really see how a weapons charge relates to a DUI anyways? People in glass houses.

26. bbnate420 says:

*or fairness

Dukeshire- That’s where I misunderstood you about crowd being a large group of people. next time I will clarify with you about what meaning you choose to attach to a word before I criticise what you say, you slickster of words you. Lol.

bbnate420 – I got where you were coming from.

It’s not about the meaning I “attach” to a word. It’s about remedial comprehension on your part. That is: there is a crowd of people who want to cut Lofa. Not the same as; the cut him now crowd regarding Lofa’s DUI. See the difference?

Look- the last thing I want to see is a player get cut from the team because he made a bone head decision off the field. Especially one that hasn’t been through his due process yet.

I’ve never been a proponent of giving players money that they haven’t earned yet, especially when just about all these players grew up never seeing this kind of money before, then suddenly much of it is there for them to spend before they play one game! No wonder alot of these players screw up! I don’t know if I could handle it very well if I were in that situation at a young age either? However that’s how the NFL works.

I just can’t see a team winning a Superbowl without having a few players that have been in trouble with the law at one time or another in there life.
    I as a fan couldn’t see and enjoy this kind of controlled violence anywhere, ( except in the NFL ), without it being illegal, so how can I not accept a few thugs on my team.

With that being said, I fully understand how frustrating this can be for a fan to see their favorite players get in trouble.

Dukeshire- When does your remedial education classes begin? I would like to sign up now before I miss the cut. Lol.

Lol. We can Skyping classes beginning at your earliest convenience.

I do agree with your above post.

Dukehire- You should know by now that when I post during happy hour and have more then one spelling error in my post that I’m not always playing with a full deck, and may have to plead temporary insanity.

Besides, I should Know better by now that when someone tries to debate you, ( see Pabs ), even if they are somtimes right, that you have this one strategy that no one else has here. You drag it out for hours, days, weeks if you have to, while all the time using your gift with words to wear your opponent down until they either give up or give out, or sometimes just forget about what the Hell they were debating with you to begin with! Lol.

Lol. Oh man, it’s funny because it’s true. That said, I like to think that if I am wrong (re. pabs and “the bet”) I’ll own it. But if I’m not, yes, I’ll go all the way with it.

What is a debaters #1 problem on their wedding night?

(a) can’t get along with a partner
    (b) can’t cover the spread