Morning links: A rosy outlook for Hawks in 2012

Post by Eric Williams on July 10, 2012 at 8:33 am with 22 Comments »
July 10, 2012 8:33 am
Seattle Seahawks quarterback Matt Flynn runs through passing drills with receivers during practice at VMAC in Renton on Thurssday, May 4, 2012. ( Lui Kit Wong/Staff Photographer)

Good morning. I’m back from vacation, which means a return to more activity on the blog this week.

We’ll begin our offseason rewind series, taking a closer look at issues from last year and ways the Seattle Seahawks might address them in 2012. I also plan to bring back the personnel reviews that Brian McIntyre expertly put together here at Seahawks Insider two seasons ago. So this week look for some of those in-depth game reviews to appear on 2011 regular season games.

Chris Burke of Sports Illustrated believes Seattle could take a big leap up the NFC West standings after a strong second-half finish in 2011.

Because the Seahawks were more or less out of the playoff picture by the 2011 season’s midpoint, they kind of flew under the radar late. Which means that a lot of people now fail to grasp how close this team was to contending.

Assuming one of the QBs steps up, the offensive line stays upright and someone — anyone — breaks through at wide receiver (don’t count Seattle out as a player for WR Josh Gordon in the supplemental draft), the offense could be pretty solid. The defense has question marks at linebacker with Ruud, K.J. Wright and Leroy Hill expected to start, but the front four and secondary are stout.

Carroll may need one more year to fully implement his plan, but Seattle is on the upswing.”

Clare Farnsworth of Seahawks.com reviews Seattle’s situation at defensive back heading into this year’s training camp.

Danny O’Neil of the Seattle Times takes a closer look at Seattle’s wide receiver situation. O’Neil lists Mike Williams and Deon Butler as receivers on the bubble to make the 53-man roster.

Matt Bowen of the National Football Post uses Marshawn Lynch’s bruising touchdown run against Philadelphia last year as an example of how to finish runs in the NFL.

More Bowen: He provides a cheat sheet of receiver conversion routes against Cover 2.

Dan Brugler of NFLDraftScout.com provides a run down of the eight college players eligible for this year’s supplemental draft, which will take place on Thursday.

Sean Conboy of Wired.com takes a closer look at how Kevlar padding is being used by NFL athletes as added productions, and being marketed as concussion-reducing technology.

Jen Floyd Engel of Fox Sports argues that league commissioner Roger Goodell has too much power, and that players are using that as a rallying cry in their fight against the Bounty scandal in court.

I haven’t had a chance to look at this closely, but if you have a spare hour on your hands this morning, Smart Football’s comprehensive look at the Air Raid offense developed by Hal Mumme and Mike Leach looks interesting.

Morning links
  1. chrisj122 says:

I believe the Hawks success or failure this year will come down to things, the play of the O.L. and the play of the QB.
    If the O.L. can continue to improve and work well together (that’s a big if) and if the QB (who ever it is) can play at high, consistent level.
    If those two things happen we will be in the running come end of the season.

Welcome back, Eric. I posted this regarding the SI piece, in the previous thread, but seems appropriate here:

“…I did chuckle at Whitehurst being listed among the “key subtractions”. Also, I’m not convinced that Ruud is expected to start at Mike. I think Wagner will have every opportunity to earn that.”

I caught Chris Brown’s piece last night. He is, far and away, the most detailed and knowledgeable Xs and Os mind, I have read. His analysis is always interesting and accessible. I just love his work and have learned so much from him.

3. If Flynn or Wilson can play at an acceptable level (at a higher level in the future w/more NFL starts under either of their belts), Rice stays healthy, and McQuistan doesn’t suck at LG… expect big things from the offense. They won’t have a top 5 offense until the QB develops into a guy thought of as a top 10-15 type of player, but they have some key ingredients that I really like. Obviously, things could change if Okung and Rice blow out ACLs early in training camp, but that could be said of most teams, too (like Iupati/Davis in SF, Staffold/Jackson in StL, Fitz in AZ).

4. seahawk44 says:

My biggest question for the offense is will Marshawn Lynch run with the same intensity after getting his pay day? We have seen it happen many times in sports where certain players will shine when they are playing in a “time for a new contract” year. I want to believe that Lynch will be a consistent probowl back for the remainder of his career, but, he has to prove it on the field. I think the team’s success depends on the production of Beastmode, the attention defenses will have to pay to stopping the run in turn taking pressure off of the QB and turning into great play action plays for the TE’s and WR’s.

BobbyK…..don’t even speculate of blown ACL’s for Okung and Rice.

Lynch doesn’t strike me as the type that would mail it in. I have total confidence he’ll remain the heart and soul of this offense.

6. SandpointHawk says:

BobbyK you were a baseball player you know better to say something like that.
    I’m not that superstitious myself but you will have poor Carson stuck in the corner of his room all season…
    Welcome back everyone…

7. Soggybuc says:

I can see Pete wanting Wagner to take the starting spot with Ruud as a veteran back up. so unless Wagner really fails to grasp what he needs to know as a mike it’s his spot to lose.

I agree Soggybuc! I think Wagner will take that starting spot and run with it!
    And I really think our defense will be top five. Probably the fastest group in the NFL.

And I agree with BobbyK! I think that for this year if Flynn or Wilson can just be average it will make us better than last year.

9. HawkfaninMT says:

I don’t know anything about this Gordon kid… Could he start opposite Rice? Is he an upgrade to BMW and Tate? How much would you guys be willing to give up to get him?

Seems like the Hawks can recoup a 4th pretty easily these days, would that be too high to give up for him?

10. Personally, the WR group is so young that, IMO, it’s unrealistic to think a rookie WR is going to come in and be a difference maker (in any situation, but especially here and now in Seattle). We have sooo many young (and talented, again, IMO) that I firmly believe we need to see what we have with these guys (Tate, Lockette, Durham, etc.). It’s not a situation with hoping for mostly undrafted or late round pick crap players like Numbskull did in ’07.

11. JMSeaTown says:

Lynch is too ghetto to care that much about his “pay day”. He’ll continue running with a purpose. Skittles rain on Lynch, while Alexander did the baby cradle with the football for his TD celebration…

12. JMSeaTown says:

HawkfaninMT: Gordon is 6’3″ 225lbs and runs a 4.5 40… I’d say that’s a bit of an upgrade. Also the kind of project PC loves… HUGE upside.

I don’t see any of the supplemental draft picks going for more than a 5th rd. pick…

13. Palerydr says:

The Hawks are gonna win next year when the Defense plays well forcing TO inside the opponents 50. The Offense will convert those short fields into points along with a couple of sustained drives. Controlling the clock, forcing TO’s, getting ahead early and developing a pass rush will be the formula for success IMO next year.

My concerns are
    1) The LB’s developing quickly into productive players
    2) Whoever the QB is he commands the huddle, makes plays to keep drives going and heaven forbid get us a come from behind win in the 4th
    3) Improved ST play from all the young speedsters we’ve added.
    4) Somebody steps up at the WR spots to make clutch catches to help the QB sustain drives
    5) Inj happen so another year of adding overall depth to the team pays off with #2’s coming in and playing like #1’s

14. “Lynch is too ghetto to care that much about his pay day. He’ll continue running with a purpose.” – Well said, JM!

15. I think the offense is going to be better no matter who wins the QB battle, and I’m glad to see even national sports writers like Chris Burke suggesting that’s true. I’m expecting both Flynn and TJack to likely start some games, and I’m expecting both of them to win.

Last year the Seahawks started the season with a practice-squad-quality offensive line, endured the middle of the season with an injured starting quarterback, and ended the season with injured and inexperienced receiving corps. With a few guys healed and everyone benefitting from a training camp, this year’s offense will easily be an improvement over that one, with or without Flynn.

On D, as long as Clemons doesn’t do something stupid like holding out, and if Bobby Wagner can grow into the MLB role quickly, this year’s D has a chance to become absolutely monstrous.

16. bbnate420 says:

I bet Gordon goes in the 4th at the latest, unless he was absolutely AWFUL in his interviews. There are teams like Miami, has two 3rd round picks in 2013, and Jacksonville that are desperate for wideouts. I don’t think he will have a big impact for the Hawks or anybody else in 2012. He hasn’t played since 2010 and WRs don’t usually have great rookie years. Also, scouts have reported that he is limited in route running.

17. WiscCory says:

It’s interesting that O’Neil didn’t even mention Bryant in the WR mix. Was he cut already?

18. Soggybuc says:

The article on the Kevlar padding was very interesting indeed. while I do agree that more research needs to be done I would point out to the critics that A man like James Harrison is as much an expert on concussion symptoms as any of those doctors.
    When he says that using this stuff takes the stars from his vision and keeps his ears from ringing for days after a game I say put this in every helmet

19. jawpeace says:

No way does Lynch take it easy. I would bet all my possessions on that one. My confidence comes from watching Lynch at the Pro Bowl; here he is in a meaningless game with no contract, if he gets hurt he would be out millions of dollars, and how did he run? Like a beast. His intensity level was beyond those around him. So if he runs like a Beast in that game, he is not going to stop running hard now that he has $$$.

20. jawpeace – I didn’t watch the game b/c it’s a joke (to me) but well said.

21. chuck_easton says:

WiscCory,

Antonio Bryant was in on a tryout basis. Didn’t get an offer. No need to cut him as he was never signed.

22. WiscCory says: